Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Protein Powder Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/736875-protein-powder-recipes.html)

vli1127 09-23-2011 02:21 PM

Protein Powder Recipes

As I have been reading through cookbooks etc. for LC recipes some have had protein powder as a base for baking. But, without having to search all over ( I did put protein powder and whey in the "Search this forum" box and came up with nothing), does anyone have an links or recipes they could share? I did come up with this recipe though:

OK, here is the recipe of the muffins I made yesterday. My 11 yr old son said they tasted like chocolate cupcakes

1 1/2 c chocolate whey protein powder
1/2 c ground flax seeds
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix above
Beat 2 eggs add 1/2 c SF caramel syrup (Starbuck's), not the topping, 1/2 melted coconut oil, 1/2 c plain yogurt. Add the above and mix til blended. I also added 1/2 c of chocolate whey crisps. Baked in reg size muffin tin lined with paper (made 12) and backed at 375 for 15-18 minutes til toothpick came clean.

Soobee 09-24-2011 04:55 AM

What kinds of recipes are you looking for? Main meals, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc? I have hundreds. I can help you search if I know what you are looking for.

vli1127 09-24-2011 06:25 AM

Just about anything to use up some whey protein. I primarily have chocolate to use up.

Soobee 09-24-2011 10:31 AM

Here are a few from my files.
Fudge Walnut Protein Bars LCL
2 1/3 cups chocolate protein powder
1/2 cup butter
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup Splenda
Melt butter and cream cheese. Mix in designer protein and Splenda. This will be stiff and hard to stir (knead with clean hands if needed.) Add walnuts and mix again. Place in greased bread pan. (Sprinkle additional finely chopped walnuts on top if you like.)
Chewy Chocolate Fudge Peanut Butter Protein Bars Candice
1 2/3 cup(about 160g) chocolate protein powder
1/4 cup peanut flour
2 Tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
1/4 cup(2oz) unsalted butter
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup half & half
1/4 cup water
Sweetener to taste
Topping:
1/4 cup natural peanut butter(no sugar, no salt)
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons half & half
2 Tablespoons Splenda
Line bottom of an 88 square baking pan with parchment. Set aside. In medium sized bowl add protein powder, peanut flour, and cocoa powder. Set aside. In small bowl add butter and peanut butter. Heat in microwave until melted about 45 seconds. Stir until combined. Stir in half & half and water. Mix wet mixture into your dry ingredients. Stir until smooth. Batter WILL be VERY sticky. Pour into your prepared pan. Smooth evenly in pan with an offset spatula. In a small bowl, mix cream and splenda. Stir until splenda is dissolved. Set aside. In small bowl heat peanut butter and butter in microwave until melted. Stir in cream/splenda mixture to your peanut butter/butter. Mix until smooth. Pour on top of protein bars and smooth evenly. Place pan in freezer for at least 1 hour to set.
Chocolate Cookies Peggy
1 1/3 c. chocolate protein powder
3 T. soy flour
4 T. flax meal
1 T. psyllium husks
1 tsp. baking powder
cup Splenda
1 oz. chopped walnuts
c. butter
4 oz. cream cheese
3/4 c. almond milk
Preheat oven to 325.Soften butter and cream cheese in microwave. Whisk together until very smooth. Add almond milk. Stir in all dry. Chill batter 1/2 hour to thicken it up a bit. Spray baking sheets and drop by level teaspoonful about 2″ apart, as they spread a bit during cooking. Bake at 325 for 11 minutes. Remove from pans with spatula when cool
Mini Chocolate Protein Donuts Shelly
1 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Chocolate Protein Powder
1/2 cup Bake Mix
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1/4 cup Water
Preheat oven to 325. Mix all ingredients till well combined. Spray Mini Donut Pans with Pam. Fill 1/2 full with batter (batter is the consistency of brownie batter).
Bake 8 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Donut Glaze
4 Mini Sugar Free Chocolate Bars (or milk, dark or white chocolate)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor will do)
Nuke for 30 seconds or so till melted. Stir to combine. Coats 12 donuts.
Dip cooled donuts into chocolate glaze and then into optional toppings.
Chocolate Protein Cake Shelly
1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
Pinch salt
In a measuring cup or microwave safe mug, mix egg, milk, syrup and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Nuke in microwave for 2 minutes (my microwave is getting old and needs 20 seconds added now.) Let it sit for three or so minutes

rosethorns 09-24-2011 11:00 AM

PS I bought these recipes on ebay for $1.00a very good deal! Happy to share with you all!

Protein Bars 1

7 scoops of Designer Protein (GNC)
1/2 cup melted butter
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup Splenda (or whatever amount you like according to your taste)

I have used chocolate, vanilla and strawberry protein powder. With the strawberry I like to add a little unsweetened coconut.

Soften the butter and cream cheese together...and mix. Add in the protein powder, and Splenda....stir in your nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut or whatever else you're using. The batter will be pretty stiff. Spread a pan (I use a bread pan), press in mixture. If necessary spray your hands.
Chill in the fridge and then cut into bars. I sometimes sort them individually frozen in a zip-loc bag, and then I can just grab one to take to work.
Play with these ingredients and I'm sure you'll come up with something you really like. Pretty simple...taste better than any of the bars I've tried...and a lot cheaper.

Homemade Low-Carb Chocolate Bars

1 square bakers unsweetened chocolate
3 tbsp whey protein
3 tbsp soy protein
1 tbsp psyllium husks
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut or almond meal
1 tbsp Sugar Twin brown sugar
1 tbsp Splenda
5 drops Stevia
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp mint extract (optional)
1/4 cup crushed pecans (optional)
In a microwave-safe plastic dish, microwave the chocolate square for 1 minute on high. It should almost melted or half-way through. Add peanut butter on top and microwave for 1 minute on high. Add cream and microwave for 1.5 minutes on high (make sure the cream starts boiling, it has to be hot, or the bars will become powdery).
Sprinkle the psyllium husks first on the hot mixture, this helps solidify the bars. Add the rest of the ingredients on top. Use a hand mixer to mix the entire mixture until uniform. This will be a hard mixture and may get stuck inside the mixers, just scoop it up with a spoon.
Use a square non-stick plastic plate (I use the top of a Ziploc disposable cover), about 5x5 inches, but any non-stick surface should do. Spread the mixture on top of it, and press with the bottom of a spoon to make it evenly spread.
Freeze for an hour, and then place in the fridge until ready to use. I cut it into 4 bars.
Note: If you don't have all the above sweeteners, use any sweetener you have to taste. Mixing different sweeteners intensifies the sweetening effect, and requires a lesser amount of the sweetener.

Protein Bars 2

1 square unsweetened baker's chocolate
2 Tbls. butter
2 Tbls. heavy cream
3 pkts. Equal (I used Splenda)
3 scoops (1 cup) Chocolate Designer Protein (or any other chocolate whey protein)
1 cup chopped peanuts (I used 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
2 Tbls. Sugar Free Torani Syrup or maple syrup (or water, in a pinch...) --I used the maple syrup, as that, our market had!

Melt chocolate and butter in microwave 1 min; stir until completely melted. Add Equal and heavy cream and stir until creamy. Add protein powder, peanuts, coconut and stir till mixed pretty well, add syrup (or water), and mix thoroughly (you may have to knead with your hands at this point, as mixture will be very stiff). Line a bread loaf pan with plastic wrap and press in mixture firmly and evenly. Chill till firm. Cut into 6 bars. These were huge, so I cut them into 9 bars.

Peanut Butter Protein Bars Ingredients:
2 tablespoons no-sugar peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon liquid artificial sweetener
1/4 cup Splenda
1 scoop Vanilla Praline Designer Whey protein powder*

Melt peanut butter and butter in microwave or double boiler. Mix in the sweeteners thoroughly. Add protein powder and stir until it forms a ball. (You may need to use clean hands to aid in the thorough mixing.) Roll up in ball and knead a bit; then separate into even portions, shaping as desired. Refrigerate until firm.

Makes 4 bars. Approx 2 carbs per bar.

Note: It's best to use the "scoop" that comes with the package, but in case it's lost (or you use another brand), this is approx. 1/3 of a cup (I have made this measuring at 1/3 cup and it works fine!)

Nutty Fudge Bars Ingredients:
2 1/3 cups vanilla protein powder
1 oz square unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 oz chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon peanut butter
1/4 cup Splenda

Melt butter, cream cheese, peanut butter and chocolate in bowl in microwave and mix together very well. Add Splenda and vanilla, mix well again. Now add walnuts and protein powder and mix. It will be difficult and messy to mix, you will have to use your hands near the end to knead it all together, squeezing so that the powder dissolves into the mixture. Now place in a baking pan, flatten and refrigerate. (Using a rectangular casserole dish works great here.) When cooled and hardened, cut into 8 bars.

Makes 8 bars. Approx 3.2 carbs per bar.

Fudge Walnut Bars
Ingredients:
2 1/3 cups chocolate protein powder
1/2 cup butter
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup Splenda

Melt butter and cream cheese. Mix in designer protein and Splenda. This will be stiff and hard to stir (knead with clean hands if needed.) Add walnuts and mix again. Place in greased bread pan. (Sprinkle additional finely chopped walnuts on top if you like.) Cool. Cut into 8 servings.

Makes 8 bars. Approx 2.5 carbs per bar.

Pineapple Bars Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups soy protein isolate
3 Tablespoons whey protein
1 cup Splenda
1 1/2 Tablespoons liquid or granular lecithin *
1 1/2 Tablespoons glycerin
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons coconut or almond oil
1 Tablespoon sugar free pineapple preserves
OR - 2 Tablespoons finely chopped unsweetened fresh pineapple
1/2 teaspoon pineapple extract

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine soy, whey and Splenda in a food processor. Add remaining ingredients. Pulse on high until a soft dough forms. Remove dough and knead by hand for twenty-ish strokes. Press into an 8x5-inch pan and bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into bars while still hot. Allow to cool and store in airtight container.

Makes 6 bars. Approx 3 carbs per bar.

* Lecithin - both granular and liquid can be found in most health food stores.

LEMON-BANANA-CRANBERRY BARS

3 scoops vanilla protein powder
3 tsp baking powder
8 tsp Splenda
4 eggs
1/4 cup of Flax Seed oil (or olive oil)
1/4 cup water
1 cup cranberries
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon extract
2 tsp banana extract

Mix together dry ingredients.
In separate bowl mix together eggs, oil, and extracts & beat well.
Add to dry ingredients to second mixture, combining well.
Add water and cranberries. Should be a wet consistency like a cake mix.
Pour into Pam-sprayed square cake pan.
Cook at 325 for 10-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Sometimes may take longer to cook, depending on type of protein powder used.
Cut into four squares. Each square has about 20 grams of protein, 4.13 grams of carbs.

FUDGEY-NUTTY BARS

2 and 1/3 cups vanilla protein powder
1 oz square unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 oz chopped almonds
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peanut butter
1/4 cup Splenda

Melt butter, cream cheese, peanut butter and chocolate in bowl in microwave.
Mix together very well and then add Splenda & vanilla, mixing well again.
Add walnuts and protein powder and mix. It will be difficult and messy to mix, you will have to use your hands near the end to knead it all together, squeezing so that the powder is incorporated into the mixture.
Now place in an 8x8 0r 9x9 baking pan, flatten and refrigerate.
When cooled and hardened, cut into 8 bars. Per bar: 21 grams protein, 3.15 carbs. (This will vary according to the protein powder you use, I use Optimum Nutrition as I have found it to be the best and it has 22g protein and 1.5g carbs in each scoop, but no aspartame.)

FUDGEY CARAMEL BARS

4 Tbl butter
1.5 Tbl unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbl DaVinci Chocolate Sugar Free syrup
2 cups Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave.
Whisk cocoa in well, then SF syrup.
Incorporate protein powder.
Add chopped nuts
Press into wax-paper-lined 9x9 pan & refrigerate.
Caramel consistency, and much better than any of my old fudge recipes. Plus, no wasted calories. High Protein snack or dessert. Best cold.

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE DOUGH BARS

2c protein powder (both vanilla & chocolate would work)
1/2 cup of chunky natural peanut butter
1/4 cup melted butter
Enough vanilla Davinci SF syrup to make the consistency of cookie dough.

Mix Peanut Butter & SF syrup with melted butter.
Add protein powder & mix until well-blended.
Either refrigerate and eat like cookie dough or bake & cut into PB cookie bars.
I think that low carb maple syrup would work as well as Davinci for these.

SESAME-ALMOND PROTEIN BARS

1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup tahini, from roasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp pure Stevia powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 1/4 cup Twinlab VegeFuel (isolated soy protein)
1/3 cup Naturade N-R-G vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup DaVinci SF Vanilla Syrup
2 Tbsp. DaVinci SF Maple Syrup
2 oz finely chopped almonds

After melting cream cheese & butter, mix in tahini, Stevia, and extracts.
Mix in protein powders.
Add syrups and mix well.
Mix in chopped almonds.
May need to add more or less syrup to get texture you like.
Place in 9x9 square pan & put in refrigerator until firm.
Cut into 12 bars (or size you want).
I store mine in freezer and eat frozen. My co-worker stores in fridge because he likes his softer.

These are very flexible. I think you can use whatever kind of protein powder you want, and could use any kind of artificial sweetener you wanted in greater or lesser degrees, or any flavor of syrup or extract. For example, I've made with DaVinci's macadamia syrup and added chopped roasted macadamia nuts, and with Davinci's butter rum syrup and added roasted pecans. I also made w/ 2/3 VegeFuel and 1/3 Naturade N-R-G, added a higher proportion of vanilla syrup, plus vanilla, coconut, and almond extracts, and a little Stevia powder, and whipped it up, and it was close enough to fudge for my taste.

Yield: 2 bars; 2.4 grams carbs per bar (1.4 carbs per bar if subtract fiber) and 21.5 grams protein

rosethorns 09-24-2011 11:02 AM

I did both of these 7 times too many letters. So here is the rest. use what you need. I change them alot to what I can eat. I change the soy protein to whey

I don't use lecithin and other things and they still come out great.
It double posted so I will try again.

rosethorns 09-24-2011 11:49 AM

ALMOND JOY PROTEIN BARS

5 Branacrisp Crackers, crushed
1/2 cup flax seed meal (1/4 cup seeds, ground)
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 scoops Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
2 scoops Soy Protein Powder
2 Tbl oatmeal
1/4 cup Splenda
20 drops Stevia (or just add any artificial sweetener to taste; start with the equivalent of 2 Tbl & add until sweet enough for you)
2 Tbl unsweetened coconut
1 Tbl unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter
2 Tbl Low-Carb Maple Syrup or cold coffee
1 tsp coconut extract (optional)
2 tsp almond extract (optional)

Crush crackers or whirl in food processor to grind fine, and then combine in bowl with other dry ingredients.
In microwave or on stovetop, melt together cream, water, butter and maple syrup (or cold coffee).
Remove from heat and add extracts at this time if using them, then whisk to make sauce smooth.
Pour hot mixture over dry ingredients and mix well.
Press into buttered 8x8" pan with buttered fingers. Chill and cut.
Wrap each bar in Saran or foil and keep in fridge or freezer. Keeping in freezer is no problem as they thaw in about 5 minutes.

9.8 carbs per bar, minus 5.9 fiber for 3.9 net each.

CHOCOLATE PROTEIN BARS

2 squares unsweetened baker's chocolate
4 Tbl butter
4 Tbl heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 packets Splenda
6 scoops Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate Protein Powder
1 & 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup flax seeds, measured and then ground
4 Tbl Sugar-free DaVinci syrup (hazelnut is best)

Melt chocolate and butter in microwave.
Mix in Splenda, then add cream & vanilla, blending thoroughly.
Add the protein powder and mix until powder is completely incorporated.
Mix flax, pecans, and coconut together and pour over chocolate mix.
Pour the sugar-free syrup over this and mix together with hands until well-blended.
Line a 9" by 9" pan with plastic wrap and firmly press the incredibly sticky stuff into it.
Cover with another layer of plastic wrap and chill.
Yield: 12 bars. Each has 8 carbs, 3.6 gr. fiber, 14 gr. protein.

Atkins Bake Mix
1 cup soy flour

2 cups soy protein isolate

2 tablespoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons Splenda

Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper
and things come out about the same.

**You could try substituting Soya powder (milder taste) for the soy flour
and substituting egg protein for soy.
Soy flour can be purchased in most grocery stores in the bake section; soy
protein isolate is available in vitamin and health stores, I buy GeniSoy.
It is a different product, more refined, and can also be used for protein
drinks. Be certain you purchase the soy protein isolate that indicates it
can also be used for baking.

Bake Mix #2

1.5 cups protein powder (unflavored is best, but vanilla will do)
1.5 cups vital wheat gluten flour
2 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbl Splenda

FLAVORED SYRUP (LIKE DAVINCI)

For 1 cup syrup: 1 cup water
1/2 tbsp extract
1 tbsp liquid Splenda, or 24 pkts 1/2 tsp guar gum

For 1/2 cup syrup: 1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp extract
1 1/2 tsp liquid Splenda, or 12 pkts.
1/4 tsp guar gum

For 1/4 cup syrup: 1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp extract
3/4 tsp liquid Splenda, or 6 pkts.
1/8 tsp guar gum

Boil water with extract and sweetener. Remove from heat and add guar gum, 1/4 tsp at a time and stir WELL. This will thicken upon cooling.

Guar gum clumps easily. I stir in 1/8 tsp at a time and whisk very well

Carb counts: with liquid Splenda = 0. Each pkt of Splenda is .5 carbs.

Chocolate Syrup

1 1/2 cups Splenda sweetener
1 cup cocoa
dash salt
1 cup hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons guar gum

-In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add Splenda, cocoa & salt.
-Gradually add the hot water, stirring to keep mixture smooth.
-Cook, stirring constantly until it boils; cook & stir for 3 minutes.
-Remove from heat & stir in vanilla & guar gum (put back on stove if it doesn't thicken right away}
-Cool to room temperature then pour into a sealable container & refrigerate.
-Makes 2 cups syrup.*** 2.7 carbs minus 0.9 gr. fiber= 1.8 carbs per T.
-Good to use on low carb ice cream, white chocolate pudding or drizzled on cheesecakes & waffles...the ideas are endless.

Raspberry Syrup

1 cup raspberry juice -- recipe below
1/3 cup Splenda
3/4 teaspoon guar gum -- mix with water

-Pour the juice into a small pot over medium low heat; bring to a boil.
-Remove from heat, add the Splenda & the guar gum, whisk well.
-Return to heat & boil until thickened.
-If all the guar gum doesn't blend in strain, through a mesh strainer.
-Store in a covered container in the fridge.
-Serve on pancakes or dessert crepes, in homemade yogurt or over cheesecakes.
-Per tablespoon: 1.4 minus 0.5 gr. fiber= 0.9 carbs.

Raspberry Juice for Syrup

1 pint fresh raspberries -- or frozen
1 cup cold water

-Place berries in a saucepan over medium low heat; add the water.
-Bring to a boil & let simmer for about 15 minutes.
-When cooked, pour into a cheesecloth lined container & let drain until all the liquid is out of the berries & only pulp remains. (Do not squeeze the cheesecloth as the juice will be cloudy}
-Measure out the juice & then proceed with making a syrup.
-*If necessary add more water to bring the juice up to 2 cups.

Strawberry Syrup

1 cup strawberry juice
1/3 cup Splenda
3/4 teaspoon guar gum -- mixed in a water

-Pour the juice into a small pot, over medium heat & bring to a boil.
-Remove from heat, whisk in the guar gum & Splenda.
-Return to heat & boil until thickened.
-If any lumps are visible, strain through a mesh strainer.
-Pour into a container, cover & store in the fridge.
-Per tablespoon:1.3 minus 0.3gr. fiber= 1 carb.

Strawberry Juice for Syrup

1 pint fresh strawberries
1 cup cold water

-Place berries in a saucepan over medium low heat; add water & bring to a boil.
-Simmer for about 15 minutes.
-Pour mixture into a cheesecloth lined container so that the juice can drip into the container.
-Let the fruit drip until only a "dry-like" pulp remains {do not squeeze the cheesecloth or the juice will be cloudy}
-Measure amount to equal 2 cups, then if possible record into master cook as "Strawberry Juice" to use in future syrup recipes.
-*Nutritional info on the strawberries is taken from the USDA site on the internet.

Maple Syrup Low Carb

1 c. water
1 c. Splenda
2 tsp. maple extract
tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp. butter (optional)
1/8th tsp. salt
tsp. guar gum
Microwave water in a 2 cup microwave safe bowl
Place in blender
Add everything else and whirl until smooth. Place container into
refrigerator. Heat before using.

Makes 1 c. syrup with
1 gram carb per tablespoon
17 calories per tablespoon with butter
Without butter the calories are
Almost 0- .03 per tablespoon

Espresso Sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup finely ground espresso
1 square unsweetened chocolate
2 tsp. sweetener
Pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
POUR cream and espresso into a saucepan. Scald (heat to just before boiling) Remove from heat. Strain. Add chocolate,
vanilla, sweetener and salt. Pour over dessert

]

Berry Syrup
Ingredients
1/2 c strawberries
2 T orange juice
pinch of sweetener

Preparing:
Puree strawberries, add orange juice and sweetener. Microwave to a simmer then allow to cool before using.
2 T serving is 2 gram carbs

Blueberry Syrup
(1 serving)

Put about 1/4-1/2 cup of frozen blueberries in a small saucepan. Heat the berries slowly until they burst, and you have a good amount of warm juice in the pan. Serve warm over pancakes with butter.

Ok it worked this time.

vli1127 09-24-2011 03:10 PM

Soobee and Esther, you guys are awesome, thanks.