Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Low Carb Pots de Creme

For those of you who don't know, pots de creme are little cups of chocolate delight--some cross between mousse, pudding, and ganache. Pronounced the French way it sounds decidedly less appetizing, but when I recently read a simplified recipe for it, I realized just how easy it would be to low carb it.

This is currently my #1 favorite and easy dessert and I thought I'd share it here.
  • 7 oz. Low Carb Chocolate (I used 4 dark chocoperfection bars but chips or something else would work too. Maybe even baker's chocolate, but then you'd have to sweeten it)
  • 2 eggs
  • 4oz. BOILING coffee (I used Monin' espresso concentrate in water, heated up in microwave)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract or flavored liquor (I used kaluah)

Directions:

1. Break up chocolate into small chip-like chunks, then put them in the blender (I just smashed with rolling pin, then magic-bulleted them a little bit)
2. Crack open two eggs on top of chocolate
3. Blend the heck out of it
4. While it's blending, add the boiling hot coffee (this tempers the eggs and melts the chocolate)
5. Pour into cups and chill

After the first 2-3 hours, you'll get a soft pudding. If you leave it over night, it will make ganache. If you're worried about the eggs not being cooked enough by the coffee (and I was), you can put the mixture into the microwave for 4 30 second intervals, whisking after each time to make sure the egg sets but doesn't scramble. Then pour into cups and chill. The cooked egg texture will not be more velvety than silky, but it is still amazingly delicious.

Makes 4 generous servings. By my counts the resulting mixture is under 250 calories and less than 3 carbs per desert.

TRY IT!!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
TThis sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I'm shocked nobody else has tried this yet. It's ridiculously easy and so incredibly good. Easily the best low carb desert I've ever made.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Thanks for sharing. I recently enjoyed a butterscotch version (full carb) and it was delicious. You have made me want to try the chocolate version.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I'd love to try it but then I'd have severe bathroom issues from the ChocoPerfection bars.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I made it! I made it!

I used 7.4 ounces of Trader Joe's 70% dark chocolate bites, 1 oz. heavy cream, 4 oz. water, 2 eggs, 1 T. vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt. It's delicious and man it was SO EASY, just like Steph says!

Next time I might use an ounce of a DaVinci or Torani syrup in place of one of the remaining ounces of water, just to up the sweetness level a tad. I'll decide after I eat the second one today - had the first one last night after dinner. It was a luscious consistency, can't wait to see how they are after a night in the fridge!

I made 6 of them and they're plenty rich/satisfying - dividing into only 4 servings would be overkill IMHO.

Thanks for posting this one, Steph, it will be a "go to" around here from now on!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I love this idea Steph . Thanks. Very easy and sounds Yummy.

Wow Charski that's what I'm going to do. Thanks.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

OK, I just had one for breakfast and you know - I wouldn't change a thing. It's JUST sweet enough, and the consistency is like a very dense mousse. YUMMO YUMMO YUMMO!

If you use a higher % cocoa chocolate bar, it might need a little more sweetness - but this one at 70% is perfect, IMHO.

I think you could make an espresso one by adding some espresso powder to the liquid, a Mexican-inspired one by adding a pinch each of cinnamon and cayenne or ancho chile powder, or do DH's fave - serve with whipped cream and some raspberries on top!

Heck I might even try a tweak on my own pots de creme and use 3 ounces of Black Prince Porter or Young's Chocolate Stout, plus the 1 ounce of cream, in place of the water!

Last edited by Charski; 10-11-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
OK, I just had one for breakfast and you know - I wouldn't change a thing. It's JUST sweet enough, and the consistency is like a very dense mousse. YUMMO YUMMO YUMMO!

If you use a higher % cocoa chocolate bar, it might need a little more sweetness - but this one at 70% is perfect, IMHO.

I think you could make an espresso one by adding some espresso powder to the liquid, a Mexican-inspired one by adding a pinch each of cinnamon and cayenne or ancho chile powder, or do DH's fave - serve with whipped cream and some raspberries on top!

Heck I might even try a tweak on my own pots de creme and use 3 ounces of Black Prince Porter or Young's Chocolate Stout, plus the 1 ounce of cream, in place of the water!
Mmmm! Or the Lindts 70% dark chocolate with chile powder.

What a great recipe! Thanks for sharing.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I'd love to try it but then I'd have severe bathroom issues from the ChocoPerfection bars.
Linda, you could use baker's chocolate and the sweetener of your choice. I only used the chocoperfection bars b/c that's what I had on hand. Really, any low carb chocolate would do
Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I made it! I made it!

I used 7.4 ounces of Trader Joe's 70% dark chocolate bites, 1 oz. heavy cream, 4 oz. water, 2 eggs, 1 T. vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt. It's delicious and man it was SO EASY, just like Steph says!
Yay! I'm thrilled with it. The first time I made it, I microwaved it because I was nervous about the eggs. Last night, I made it with pasteurized eggs and didn't bother cooking them and oh MY it was EVEN BETTER.

I might stab someone if they got between me and my pots de creme :P
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

I used regular eggs and didn't bother! LOL! The texture is EXCELLENT. Can't thank you enough, Steph!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I combined Steph's recipe with Char's-

I made 1/2 to only have two servings, and used 3.5 oz of Lindts dark crushed, about two ounces of hot coffee, a good splash of hwc, and one egg. It was ohmygoodheavens delicious. DH was beside himself.

Next time, I will adjust by melting the chocolate in the hot coffee, then adding in the egg, because there was huge pieces of chocolate that didnt get melted. I froze it a bit, then left it in the fridge as long as I could manage last night. It was starting to thicken up. I tasted a little leftover this morning- thick, gorgeous chocolatey goodness.

Thank you thank you!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Next time, I will adjust by melting the chocolate in the hot coffee, then adding in the egg, because there was huge pieces of chocolate that didnt get melted.
Just be careful not to scorch the chocolate. Or maybe blend it more thoroughly with the egg before adding the coffee. I was afraid to get the eggs frothy, but it makes no difference. The end result was awesome both times.

I've not used the whipping cream because I didn't want to add more calories, but if you don't care about that, I bet it's even better.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Just be careful not to scorch the chocolate. Or maybe blend it more thoroughly with the egg before adding the coffee. I was afraid to get the eggs frothy, but it makes no difference. The end result was awesome both times.

I've not used the whipping cream because I didn't want to add more calories, but if you don't care about that, I bet it's even better.
I made it again tonight... It is chilling now!

I did melt the chocolate in the coffee, in the microwave. Just went thirty seconds at a time and stirred- result, hot coffee, smoothly melted chocolate. I also use my immersion blender- blended the egg and a splash of hwc first, then stirred in the melted chocolate and coffee while continuing to blend. Smooth, beautiful. I canoot wait to taste.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
I made a special trip to the market tonight to get the ingredients and boy was it worth it! I halved the recipe and used 3.5 oz. of Green & Black's 70% chocolate. It made three servings. I took a little tiny taste of one that's been chilling for 2 hours, and it's very tasty!

I'm definitely going to play with this recipe. Someone upthread suggested using spices in it. I think I might try a curry version. Or chili powder. Or both.
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I love the experimentation, though I've gotta say, the main appeal to this recipe is how swiftly and simply it comes together. I used low carb chocolate chips the other day and the whole thing was done faster than I can make a smoothie.

(This is probably because with all the book promoting I'm doing lately, I haven't had time to do almost any cooking, and the fact that I was able to whip this together for a dinner party made me feel like I had a life again!)

Last edited by stephdray; 10-13-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm looking forward to trying this, but I have some desserts made up and need to wait a few days. Sounds good though!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Yay and thanks to Steph and all the tweakers

I used a 3.5 oz. Lindt 90% bar and 3 oz. LC choco chips.
Ground that up with the sugar sub in the Vita Mix
Proceeded using 1 c. Splenda/Erythritol, the vanilla, forgot
about the eggs, dash of salt, heated up 1/2 cream 1/2 water to boiling,
poured it over and let 'er rip.
Chilled and my gosh it was fantastic. My DH is in love again

I honestly forgot the eggs. Now I'm not certain that I need the
eggs as I used the hot cream.

Well Steph/and all who made this. I thank you.
This will be a go to treat when the chocolate monster strikes.
Which if often
Old 10-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissiesue View Post
I made a special trip to the market tonight to get the ingredients and boy was it worth it! I halved the recipe and used 3.5 oz. of Green & Black's 70% chocolate. It made three servings. I took a little tiny taste of one that's been chilling for 2 hours, and it's very tasty!

I'm definitely going to play with this recipe. Someone upthread suggested using spices in it. I think I might try a curry version. Or chili powder. Or both.
Just wanted to add that I didn't use a blender for mine. I chopped the chocolate really fine with a knife and then used a fork to whisk everything together. Before I added the egg, I warmed it (in the shell) in some hot water so that it wouldn't cook when I added the coffee.

Even without using the blender, it STILL worked.

This is such an awesome recipe.
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melissakw
Stats: 178/156/134 5'5"
WOE: Atkins OWL <25
Start Date: July 17, 2011
Quote:
I made it! I made it!

Next time I might use an ounce of a DaVinci or Torani syrup in place of one of the remaining ounces of water, just to up the sweetness level a tad. I'll decide after I eat the second one today - had the first one last night after dinner. It was a luscious consistency, can't wait to see how they are after a night in the fridge!

I made 6 of them and they're plenty rich/satisfying - dividing into only 4 servings would be overkill IMHO.

Thanks for posting this one, Steph, it will be a "go to" around here from now on!
Thinking about making this, but wondering if you know the carb count using the 70% cocoa bar? I have baker's chocolate, but haven't liked the taste of it in anything I've tried so far.
melissakw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #22
Gadget Gal

Here are a couple variables with chocolate:

Trader Joe's Confection Perfection - what I used - 70% cacao = 11.625 net carbs per ounce, x 7 ounces = 81.375 net carbs for the total recipe, / 6 servings = 13.5625 net carbs per serving - that's just the chocolate.

World Market All Natural 99% cacao bar = 28 net carbs for 7 ounces, / 6 servings = 4.6666 per serving, but you'd have to use some sweetener, I presume

Cadbury Royal Dark semi-sweet = 80 net carbs for 7 ounces, / 6 servings = 13.3333 per serving

Those are some forms of chocolate I currently have in the house hence the reason for using them in my calculations!

The eggs are .6 each, an ounce of heavy cream is a little less than 1, and count whatever you may use as sweetener unless it's liquid OR something very low-glycemic, like erythritol. I'd not use ALL E though as it tends to a) have that cooling effect and b) recrystallize somewhat easily.

Because I'm on maintenance, and because ONE of the servings is more than rich enough to satisfy my chocolate urge, I am not bothered by the slightly higher numbers.

I DO have some SF chocolate chips and might use them for HALF the chocolate called for next time - I don't want to use them for 100% of the chocolate called for because they can have such a nasty effect on the ol' tummy!

Last edited by Charski; 10-15-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #23
Gadget Gal

I made it again yesterday, using 2 Cadbury Royal Dark bars, 1 ounce heavy cream, 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate almond milk, and added 1 tablespoon of SF honey.

I beat it really well in the first step til the chocolate was all pulverized, then drizzled in the hot liquid, then beat it again quite a bit.

The texture is lighter and smooooooth as can be and man it's just so good.

To those of you who have hesitated making this so far - GO DO IT! Seriously!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
bump
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hani
Stats: 235/179/thinking about really skinny
WOE: moderate carbs, no sugar.
Start Date: 3/21/03 @235 uncomfortable pounds
oh yeah!
i used 2 c. cocoa (substitute 3 T. cocoa, 1 T. butter, and 3 T. sweetener equalling sugar for 1 oz. chocolate), 7 T. butter, 9 packets splenda, 1/4 c. torani, 1/4 c. water and mwlted it all in a pot. added two eggs. beat like crazy.

it is very good, but it is thick like a ganache. i added a bit of cream, which added lightness, but i am not getting the moussiness i was looking for. anyone?
hani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #26
Gadget Gal

Hani, a mousse needs some air - I'd either beat the eggwhites separately, then fold them in gently at the end, or whip some cream and do THAT at the end.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I wish I hadn't made this. This dessert is going to be the end of me...but, thank Stephanie!! It's low carb!

I couldnt wait for it to cool completely. I'm eating it now. I also did not use a blender, instead I warmed up the chips a bit in the microwave and used an immersion blender. I did put it back on the microwave and the texture right now is a bit grainy, but it doesn't detract from the flavor. I'll refrain from the second heating next time. This one is a winner in my book!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: northwoods nan
Stats: 173/150/140
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: June 1 2011
I made this last night with a combination of chocolate (85% aldi choc bar, unswtnd baking choc. and some sugar free choc chips) some da vinci's, coffee and some hwc and 2 eggs. It was mahvelous!!!!! It seems amazing that something so simple could be so wonderful!!! I might put a little more hwc in next time to make more volume/servings and not quite as intensely chocolate.
northwoods nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Good to the last drop

I wish steph had posted before now all I can say is WOW

Last edited by graciejean; 12-05-2011 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: not right
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

OK...never had a problem with SF chocolate before, but I have finally experienced what y'all have been talking about. Must be too large of a quantity in one sitting!

I'll have to try this recipe with less SF chocolate and 70 or 76% choc bar or unsweetened choc with sweetener.

WOWZA. Feel sorry for my hubby tonight...
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote