Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TMac
Stats: 230/228/140
WOE: Gluten-Free/Low-Carb
Start Date: 12/11/12
Good substitute for pineapple??

So, I love eating LC but I really miss pineapple fried rice. I can modify the recipe easily enough with the exception of the pineapple! The real deal is just too high in fructose for me.

The closest I've gotten is taking a seeded cucumber and dicing it, then marinating it overnight in Da Vinci's SF pineapple syrup with a splash of lemon juice.

It's a decent substitute, but I'm wondering if any of you other folks have come across this same stumbling block and found a fave substitute?

TIA!!
TMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac View Post
So, I love eating LC but I really miss pineapple fried rice. I can modify the recipe easily enough with the exception of the pineapple! The real deal is just too high in fructose for me.

The closest I've gotten is taking a seeded cucumber and dicing it, then marinating it overnight in Da Vinci's SF pineapple syrup with a splash of lemon juice.

It's a decent substitute, but I'm wondering if any of you other folks have come across this same stumbling block and found a fave substitute?

TIA!!
Davinci's sell sf pineapple syrup. I have put it on ham for my daughter and she likes it. Nevermind I see that is what you did.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
Look for Linda Sue's Pineapple meatballs recipe. The sauce is made with Davinci pineapple flavor. It is delicious and can be used in many other ways and not just on meatballs. It is great on cauli rice as well.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I believe somewhere Kevin did an experiment with cooked cauliflower cut into smaller pieces soaked in the SF Pineapple and did a blind taste test that went well. I've never tried it though.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I prefer just adding either Pineapple DaVinci's or pineapple extract plus a few drops of ezsweetz to the recipe and forget the marinating something part.

I love this sweet pineapple in coleslaw!

if you want it to be more realistic in a drink for example, I suggest adding some citric acid powder (also sold as "sour salt.") real pineapple or juice is super tart along with super sweet. most flavorings catch the sweet and scent but don't give you a realistic acidity level.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies! I do have the pineapple flavor, what I'm really craving is a substitute for the actual pineapple chunks typically found in pineapple fried rice.

I'm missing both the flavor and texture of chunks of pineapple!

Marinating/soaking cauliflower in SF Da Vinci pineapple syrup is a great idea, I hadn't thought of cauliflower for this!! I'm off to throw some in the fridge for an experiment right now
Old 09-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Kevin used dehydrated cauliflower for his faux pineapple. I used it in a fake pineapple upside-down cake, and it was pretty good. Here is the recipe.
Pseudo Pineapple
1/2 cup freeze dried cauliflower
1/2 cup pineapple davinci
1/2 tsp. granular erythritol
Combine ingredient in nonstick sauce pan and cook down over medium high heat stirring constantly until liquid is almost all gone.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Kevin used dehydrated cauliflower for his faux pineapple. I used it in a fake pineapple upside-down cake, and it was pretty good. Here is the recipe.
Pseudo Pineapple
Combine ingredient in nonstick sauce pan and cook down over medium high heat stirring constantly until liquid is almost all gone.
Holy smokes, brilliant! I bet that works really well. Thanks so much!!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Pseudo Pineapple
Looks good! I had to look to see what freeze dried cauliflower would be.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Z92435
Stats: 195/191/160
WOE: South Beach Diet, but with modifications
Start Date: Restarting in September 2011
Possible alternative to summon the casket of ancient winters?

Hey, folks. Just offering up a thought:

Take a Daikon radish, chop it into pineapple sized chunks. Give it about 20 minutes to half an hour to enjoy a scalding cream bath of half heavy cream and half water, where the bath is not boiling, but has lots of little bubbles on the edge; you'll need to watch the temperature closely. Afterward, discard the bath water, maybe wait for 5 to 10 minutes for it to soak a bit (depending on how soft your daikon is already), then rinse your Daikon under iced water to remove the heat. Then, soak your Daikon pieces in the SF pineapple syrup overnight to achieve optimal flavor. At this point, your Daikon should be soft, free from that icky radish smell/flavor, yet has enough fibrous tissue inside to imitate the pineapple's texture.

When you're about to use your fauxneapples, place them on a scolding hot pan for a quick flash pan fry, then move them to a separate bowl. Once everything else is down, add them back in and they should be fine for a fauxneapple fried rice.
Z92435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
good substitute for pineapple

I use Jok'n'al pineapple all the time when I want the flavor of pineapple. It tastes just like the real thing. . Made my own bbq sauce with it. very good
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Thanks for your daikon suggestion Z92435. I look forward to trying that one day, as I love pineapple and miss that flavor in my cake/cookie recipes that call for it.

And I may also try the Jok'n'al Pineapple, Dreeza. Thanks for the tip!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z92435 View Post
Hey, folks. Just offering up a thought:

Take a Daikon radish, chop it into pineapple sized chunks. Give it about 20 minutes to half an hour to enjoy a scalding cream bath of half heavy cream and half water, where the bath is not boiling, but has lots of little bubbles on the edge; you'll need to watch the temperature closely. Afterward, discard the bath water, maybe wait for 5 to 10 minutes for it to soak a bit (depending on how soft your daikon is already), then rinse your Daikon under iced water to remove the heat. Then, soak your Daikon pieces in the SF pineapple syrup overnight to achieve optimal flavor. At this point, your Daikon should be soft, free from that icky radish smell/flavor, yet has enough fibrous tissue inside to imitate the pineapple's texture.

When you're about to use your fauxneapples, place them on a scolding hot pan for a quick flash pan fry, then move them to a separate bowl. Once everything else is down, add them back in and they should be fine for a fauxneapple fried rice.

Oooh, ooh, ooh! This sounds wonderful. I have to try this over the weekend! Thanks for sharing this
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Dehydrated/freeze dried pineapple (not the same as dried) is pretty low per serving size. You could reconstitute it in sf DaVinci's Pineapple flavored syrup.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote