Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   salsa recipes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/734031-salsa-recipes.html)

dianafoot 09-05-2011 03:19 PM

salsa recipes?

I thought today, after returning from the Labor Day holiday, that I would pull up my sad looking tomato plants to pay attention to nurturing the tiny little fall greens coming up. I found that my tomatoes were sassing me back -- "leave us alone, we ain't done makin' babies, yet!"

While I love tomatoes, I am trying to come up with ways to preserve them, stay low carb with them, and respect the generosity of my sprawling four plants who are reproducing like rabbits. Someone suggested salsa (I've got about 20 quarts of tomato sauce put up, so no more sauce!)

Any great salsa recipes out there for canning?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...t/IMG_3577.jpg

Barbo 09-05-2011 03:29 PM

Homemade Canned Salsa

Diane,
Your vegetables are gorgeous. Yes we have a rag tag band of things
outside. The eggplants are gorgeous. The tomatoes, well not so much.
This is a recipe from a very good friend of mine who lives in Kamloops,
Canada. Her recipe for salsa is the one I like the best for canning.
I'm sure that she won't mind my sharing it with you all.

TNT Carol's Picante {Salsa} Sauce-Appetizer

5 pounds fresh Plum tomatoes -- about 15 large**** (any kind)

1 can chili peppers -- mild, green (Ortega)

3 jalapeno peppers -- or to taste*

1 1/2 cups Spanish onions -- chopped

1 1/2 cups green bell pepper -- chopped 1 cup red bell pepper -- chopped

3 cloves garlic -- chopped

5 1/2 ounces tomato paste

1 cup white vinegar

3 Tablespoons Sugar

1 Tablespoon coarse salt -- pickling

2 teaspoons paprika

3 Tablespoons cilantro -- finely chopped

*I use dried red pepper flakes, & to your own ‘hotness’.
**Add after the first hour of cooking.
***Regular ripe tomatoes can be used but the thickness of the sauce is better with the plum tomatoes.

-Wash, blanch, peel, seed and coarsely chop the tomatoes, place them in a" large" stainless steel or enamel pot
-Add the undrained, mild green chilies to the tomatoes.
-Pierce the hot chilies with a toothpick & add to the pot{or use red pepper flakes} (jalapenos on toothpicks works wonders)
-Add the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT THE CILANTRO; mix well.
-Place over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
-Now add the cilantro & continue cooking for an additional 15 to 30 minutes or until the thickness you like.
-Stir quite often to prevent scorching.
-Taste for desired 'hotness' then remove the whole chilies.
-Prepare & sterilize 5 pint jars & snap lids.{this procedure MUST be followed for safety reasons}
-Spoon the salsa into the hot jars, place the snap lid on top, then lightly turn on the screw band just until finger-tip tight.
-Place the filled jars into a water-bath canner filled with HOT water making sure water covers the tops of the jars.
-Cover canner & bring to a boil over high heat.
-Once the water is boiling set the timer for 20 minutes.
-Carefully remove jars from canner & place on a dry kitchen towel to cool, let sit for 24 hours.
-After 24 hours check the seal; label & store in a cool dry place.

It is a long detailed procedure but well worth the time & effort. I have never tasted a 'store bought' brand as good as this one!
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006, 7:21am by carol » Report to Mod - Link to Post - Back to Top Logged

dianafoot 09-05-2011 03:37 PM

Barbo, thank you so MUCH for the salsa recipe! We love salsa and pay big bucks for the name brand we like best ($4 a pint!), so I thought that making it would be great. I will try putting this on tomorrow as my canning project.

Now that I am back to school, working 55-60 hours a week, the garden has gone from "central to my day" to "essential to my sanity". I come home exhausted, needing to cook dinner, water the garden, harvest, answer the phone messages, and yet somehow, I want to deal with putting up my sweet little tomatoes and cucumbers. Funny how some things just call out to you...

mojave 09-05-2011 05:03 PM

I don't have a salsa recipe to share, but what lovely posts and photo about gardens, food and sharing.

Dee

rosethorns 09-05-2011 05:34 PM

I will give you one I just made. I don't know what the carb count is.

I just put up 30 pints. This one is for DH. I make mine with just peach.

Pineapple , peach, tomato salsa

15 large tomatos ( chopped )
1 cup onion chopped ( I use valdalia)
1 cup green chiles ( fresh or canned )
1/2 c. jalapenos ( DH no hot)
3 fresh peaches chopped
1/2 c. fresh pineapple chopped
3 T. tomato paste ( to soak up juice )

Now this is when I put in fridge for everything to marry and can the next day.

Put everything in a large pot and cook to your taste. Then fill sterlize jars and process, pints for 15 mins.

I make one for me that is hotter and lower carbed.

Have fun.

dianafoot 09-06-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 14977794)
I will give you one I just made. I don't know what the carb count is.

I just put up 30 pints. This one is for DH. I make mine with just peach.

Pineapple , peach, tomato salsa

15 large tomatos ( chopped )
1 cup onion chopped ( I use valdalia)
1 cup green chiles ( fresh or canned )
1/2 c. jalapenos ( DH no hot)
3 fresh peaches chopped
1/2 c. fresh pineapple chopped
3 T. tomato paste ( to soak up juice )

Now this is when I put in fridge for everything to marry and can the next day.

Put everything in a large pot and cook to your taste. Then fill sterlize jars and process, pints for 15 mins.

I make one for me that is hotter and lower carbed.

Have fun.

Oh this looks SO good! Now I have a couple of great recipes to try and it'll be exciting to make them both! Thank you!