Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Carne en su Jugo (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/732958-carne-en-su-jugo.html)

tyler43836 08-26-2011 02:54 PM

Carne en su Jugo

I'm reposting this recipe, because I was looking for it, and its so good! I want to make it for a potluck.
I rarely make it because I live down the road from Jose's (Its their specialty.)
I think I must have lunch at Jose's tomorrow to compare taste! :)

From SilkandSand:

I live in Mexico, so we eat the "real deal." My favorite is Carne en su Jugo:

Carne en su Jugo:

2 lbs of beef sliced thinly and cut into 1 inch pieces (when we lived in the US, I had our butcher at the grocery store do this for me) or ground beef will work as well.
1 lb of bacon cut into pieces
1 lb of fresh tomatillos (canned will do)
4 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
1 handful of cilantro plus some set aside as a garnish
fresh lime
1 diced avocado
1/2 diced onion
your favorite salsa or hot sauce

First cook the bacon and then take it out of the pan and put it in a pot, save the grease. Then cook the beef until brown in your bacon grease and add that to the pot. Make a green stock in your blender using the tomatillos, cilantro, garlic and a little water. Blend. Now add that to the beef and bacon and cook until tender (The original recipe calls for beans in the soup or on the side as a garnish to be added, I omit the beans for lc) Now dish it up and add cilantro, raw chopped onion, avocado and salsa. You will LOVE this! Your friends will be amazed. It was the hit of every potluck I brought this to.

Dottie 08-26-2011 03:11 PM

That sounds like something we used to get, only they served it with a fried egg on top! Sounds really good:)

mojave 08-26-2011 04:29 PM

Great recipe, thanks.

Dee

MsWoods 08-26-2011 07:47 PM

Tyler maybe you could help me on an unrelated note since you live in mexico.

I live in tx and we have authentic taco trucks here and they make the most amazing shredded beef tacos. Do u have any idea how I can replicate it?

I tried before with chuck roast and spices but its no where near the same.

JennieBart 08-27-2011 04:49 PM

That sounds so yummy! Maybe I'll have to make that on one of my next days off!

Thank you for posting this. :heart:

tyler43836 08-27-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 14951086)

I live in tx and we have authentic taco trucks here and they make the most amazing shredded beef tacos. Do u have any idea how I can replicate it?

I think I have something for you! I posted it here quite a while ago. I'll find it.

tyler43836 08-27-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 14951086)

Just bumped the thread Beef Machaca. If you go through the thread people made suggestions for an easier way further along.

MsWoods 08-27-2011 07:37 PM

Thank you so much!

pooticus 08-28-2011 11:44 AM

OMG. This looks so awesome! Will try it soon. :)

buttoni 08-30-2011 07:50 AM

I sure printed this one to try. Sounds rel good. Thanks!

CreekWatcher 08-30-2011 10:16 AM

Tyler, do you think shaved steak would work fairly well for this? (I have frozen Steak-Eze, which is meant for cheesesteak sandwhiches.)

And if you use canned tomatilos, I assume you would discard the liquid? Thanks

Idreamofweightloss 08-30-2011 12:18 PM

Is this a soup or just a meat mixture? Any idea on the carb count?

Idreamofweightloss 08-30-2011 12:47 PM

I put this into ********* ( half of the recipe) omited the cilantro since I am not a fan of it. Set the onion at 30 grams and 1/4 cup salsa and 1/2 of the juice of a lime. Came out to be 5.1 net carbs per serving at 4 servings. I did not check carbs for the bacon as I do not belive it has any. I did not add the salt in either as that is to taste and would vary to much by each person.

translationmx 08-30-2011 06:06 PM

bumping because it sounds super tasty :)

silkandsand 02-19-2013 07:30 PM

I need to make some Carne en su Jugo soon! <3 Miss you, Ty!

tyler43836 02-26-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silkandsand (Post 16268861)
I need to make some Carne en su Jugo soon! <3 Miss you, Ty!

Yes you do! a:need to make Carne en su Jugo and b:miss me! :cry:

silkandsand 02-26-2013 01:34 PM

Oh, believe me I do! Daily! :cry: