Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ♥MyBostons
Stats: All time high: 340..238/ 224/138 @5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 7/23/11
How to Crisp Jicama Fries and Chips

Just tried my first batch of jicama french fries. The fries turned out good, but I could rate them great if I could get them not quite so chewy. I deep fried them at about 350 degrees until golden brown. I am very pleased with the result, but I would like them better if they were crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

While I had out the deep fryer, I cut part of the jicama into very very thin slices and threw them in the deep fryer to make jicama chips. I took them out when golden brown, but they were chewy instead of crisp. I am looking for the crisp of a potato chip.

Is it possible with jicama?
♥MyBostons is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I think Kent Altena has a video on how to make this. P.S. He also goes by the name, Bowulf.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I haven't made any in quite awhile, but the way I do them with pork rinds and spices, they are VERY crisp right out of the oven. Once cool, some of that crispiness vanishes. But these really browned nicely and they are BAKED. No pot of hot grease to stand over at all. Jicama “Fries” « Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes

Last edited by buttoni; 08-20-2011 at 06:01 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mistyjo1
Stats: 226/185/140
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: march 31/1010
I have not been able to find pork rinds in Canada and have looked everywhere over the last year and a half.... would almond meal or something like that work.... or could you suggest something else to coat them with...
thank you
mistyjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Misty, I hear from Canadian members on my other LC forums they seem to be nigh on to impossible to get up there. Can you order on-line from an American source? Or maybe Canada does not let them across the borders for some reason? I just don't know.

Re: substituting, I just don't know if something like the commercial almond flour that is ground extra fine would get as crisp as rinds in this recipe. I don't think flax would ever get crisp enough, as I've not had ANY luck getting flax to get crispy enough to suit me.

Only thing that might get as crisp you may have in your Asian markets that I can think of would be those odd shrimp chips you deep fry (little discs that puff up instantly in hot grease. Kinda fun to wtch cook, actually.) and then crushing. I used to eat those as a snack years ago in my pre-LC days. But they are made with tapioca flour and have about 16 net carbs for 25 chips, so if your per serving carbs would fit your daily tally and you are to the grains rung of Atkins, they just might work for this purpose. They're real crisp like pork rinds if you've never had them. Take just seconds to fry up. Important note: they also have a mild, faint shrimp taste so using the spice would be crucial to hide that taste, or you'd end up with "Shrimp" Jicama Fries. LOL.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-21-2011 at 08:38 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I read that slicing them thin and then into matchsticks and frying would make them more crispy.

If this works, here is the link to the video showing Bowulf making them.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post14501437
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

thank you Buttoni for your reply.... I don't know why we as Canadian cannot get the pork rinds... I know if i go to Florida they make me toss them at the border on my way back..
I will look for the shrimp chips and see if i can find them... great information..
Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eryke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyjo1 View Post
thank you Buttoni for your reply.... I don't know why we as Canadian cannot get the pork rinds... I know if i go to Florida they make me toss them at the border on my way back..
I will look for the shrimp chips and see if i can find them... great information..
Don't know where in Ontario you are, but I have no problem finding Pork Rinds in the Ottawa area.

Saw them at the Checkout at my Local YIG last night.

And the Big Asian Grocery store here carries them too.
Eryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Lucky you.... I am in Toronto, and have search so many stores, convenience stores, garage snack bars.. and none to be found...I have tried to get convenience stores to order them for me but no luck....maybe i have to take a day trip to Ottawa area... thank you for the information.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eryke
Quote:
Lucky you.... I am in Toronto, and have search so many stores, convenience stores, garage snack bars.. and none to be found...I have tried to get convenience stores to order them for me but no luck....maybe i have to take a day trip to Ottawa area... thank you for the information.
If you are in the Toronto area , hit up the Low Carb Grocery, either on line or in Person........

Do a Google search on "Low Carb Grocery Toronto" and you should get their website on the first hit
Eryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ♥MyBostons
Stats: All time high: 340..238/ 224/138 @5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 7/23/11
Thank you for the information!
I just viewed the video by Bowulf; there is no way to "crisp" the jicama like potato chips. My deep fried jicama turned out the same way as Bowulf's; he decribed it perfectly—the chips turn out to be of similar texture to the top potatoes on a scalloped potato casserole; they are kinda chewy.
Well, we tried...
♥MyBostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/133/124? 5'2"
WOE: various intermittent fasting with mod carb
Start Date: low carb off and on since 1967, IF 4/2013-now
I haven't tried this, but I am just wondering if this would work. The jicama is probably too moist as is to crisp. What if we slice the jicama, put it in a strainer, salt it, and then let the excess liquid drain off for a half hour or more, and then pat it dry with a paper towel.
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
You're just not going to get the same crisp out of a low-carb alternative... the crispness comes from the starches. The lower the carbs, the lower the starches.

The only way I could think that you *might* get a crisp crunch out of them deep fried would be to dehydrate the chips first, and then flash fry. That may give you a similar feeling to a potato chip.

If you want crisp/crunchy jicama though, you might try it raw. Sprinkle with a little lime and chili/salt. Yum.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miss Rae
Stats: Size-20/14/8
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Re-start April 2011
When commercial kitchens make fries they often boil them for a short amount of time first to get rid of excess water in the potatoes (or they fry them twice). From what everyone has said there is no way to "crisp" them, but maybe boiling first would make them a little less soft.
Miss Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
I have not been able to find pork rinds in Canada and have looked everywhere over the last year and a half.... would almond meal or something like that work.... or could you suggest something else to coat them with...
thank you
They now have them at the SuperStore. If you are not close to one, you can order than on line from the low carb grocery. I also find them in the 'international' aisles and or stores.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I adore jicama and eat is raw most everyday. I have tried and tried to make fries with it but they never have lost there crunchy texture. I have made oven fries with zucchini, turnips and my most favorite eggplant. I toss the cut fry shapes in seasoned beaten egg and lay them out on a parchment lined sheet pan not touching each other brushing them with a bit of olive oil and roast them in a hot oven till browned and done to your liking.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I find that freezing and thawing jicama helps break down the fibres so it is less crunchy after frying but no amount of cooking will get rid of it all. My favorite veggie for fries is celeriac (celery root). It has a distinct flavour of its' own so it's taste is nothing like a potato but in my opinion it has a better taste and it is possible to get it crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I find that freezing and thawing jicama helps break down the fibres so it is less crunchy after frying but no amount of cooking will get rid of it all. My favorite veggie for fries is celeriac (celery root). It has a distinct flavour of its' own so it's taste is nothing like a potato but in my opinion it has a better taste and it is possible to get it crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Great tip, I'm going to try it for myself!!! Thanks!!!
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
It will crisp up this way, but I have never been able to make fries or chips from it.

These are great on burger, like you would have onion straws or strings on a burger.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-picture.html
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote