Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Black Forest Cake

My Mom and I have been making this cake ever since I was in high school....and let's just say that was MANY moons ago. Of course, I don't make it with real sugar or flour anymore. This has always been the dessert friends and relatives ask for when they come to my house for holidays and special occasions. This is the one and only recipe I have that for many years, I wouldn't share the recipe. But that's just silly, so now that it's converted to a low-carb recipe, I share it with the internet world.

Peggy’s Black Forest Cake « Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Wow...love your site, Peggy..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Carolyn. I really enjoy it and try to post new recipes all the time.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

I am definitely going to try your scones..
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
That is one decadent cake! That is meant for a Thanksgiving or Christmas cake...it is rich and very delicious looking!! Thanks Buttoni!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miss Rae
Stats: Size-20/14/8
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Re-start April 2011
OMG! I am throwing a huge Oktoberfest party in September and this is so amazing that you posted this! Thanks so much! I am buying 3 big beautiful Black Forest Cakes for everyone else and now I can have one for me and maybe I can cajole my Father into eating this one as well as he is a diabetic. I'll try the recipe over the next few weekends to make sure I can make it look halfway decent. Cake decorating/frosting isn't my strong suit but I WILL make it work! Thanks again!!!
Miss Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Why thank you ladies. Do let me know how it comes out, Rae. My husband's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I may break down and make him one. He won't ask for this one, but I know it's the one he really wants. Maybe I'll surprise him. But not sure I can successfully hide all those fillings in the fridge so he doesn't see them.

I need to get a better pic up on the site anyway, because I sliced the slice shown when it was pretty cold and the mousse is a little more firm (right out of the fridge) in the low-carb version than the original. I may use a different mousse base this time and see what happens. I'll update the recipe if I change that.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-19-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Can I ask where you get lecithin granules? Is that just gelatin? I have everything right now to make this but the cherries and the cherry brandy and the lecithin. Oh and btw, no new pic is needed.....It looks pretty darned exceptional just as it is!

Never mind! I see Netrition has them!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've made an easy version of this using the Black Bean Brownies/Cake recipe, a can of no sugar added cherry pie filling, and SF whipped cream. I've never had a cake like this with chocolate mousse filling, just the above stuff - sounds good!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's the Kirsch mousse that makes this one so unique, Charkski. Don't remember where Mom got the idea to try the mousse in it actually, but it sure makes it good. My Dad was USAF and was teaching at the Army Command and Staff College in Leavenworth, Kansas back when Mom created this. She first heard about Black Forest Cakes from my Aunt in Dallas and started with her recipe as a base. The addition of the Kirsh mousse came later.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Peggy, this looks fabulous! I can't wait to try this because it's been 108-112 every day for 3 weeks here and I'm sooooo bored staying in the house all the time. You say in it that you may find a different lc cake to use. I was reading it thinking the same thing because I'm very sensitive to the "funny" taste in Carbquick and any of the "funny" low carb baking ingredients. For me, the very best cake recipe is Kimmy Kardashian's One Minute Pound Cake (and it doesn't heat up the kitchen which is a good thing this time of year!). It looks, tastes and has a texture just like a regular yellow cake. I've not made a chocolate version yet but I'm sure it would be simple to add cocoa and/or melted chocolate and omit the lemon extract. I've quadrupled the recipe and microwaved it in two pammed pie plates to give me a two layer cake. Maybe you could quadruple it and put only 1/4 of the batter in pie plates or maybe it would take 8 times the recipe to get the necessary four layers. The micro time would vary but when I make a double recipe in a pie plate the 2 minutes usually works. I check it after 2 minutes and if the middle still looks gooey I add time and keep watching it. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I'll be checking out your other recipes too! Here's her recipe:

*2 tablespoons splenda
*one tablspoon butter
*2 tablespoons cream cheese
*one egg
*teaspoon baking powder
*teaspoon vanilla
*half teaspoon lemon extract
*pinch salt
*1/4 cup almond flour or almond meal

Make sure the butter and cream cheese are soft.
Whisk well and microwave for 2 minutes.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rae, I order my Swanson brand lecithin granules (come from soy) on-line, but was planning on dropping everything soy for health reasons as soon as I use them up and the little bit of soy flour I have in the house.

I bought mine so long ago, I honestly don't remember from where, I think I just Googled and found the cheapest source. But honestly, it's a batter "volumizer" and can be omitted it you like. But I'd slightly increase the leavening if you leave it out, by maybe 1/2 tsp.

I've made the Healthy Indulgence's chocolate cake that's made with black beans and really liked it. I was actually thinking about baking two of them and using that one next time I do my Black Forest cake and see how that does with these fillings.

Oooo, Grace, I love lemon cake. Thanks for posting this. I'd like to try it just as written! My mouth is watering just thinking about lemon cake. And I think you're right, it would convert to chocolate easily. I actually have 4 or 5 chocolate low-carb cakes I've been wanting to try out. At least the pictures on them looked incredibly dark and rich. But we all know pictures can be deceiving. But I'm dropping back to Atkins '72 to break a profound stall, and not eating cake and such things right now. No baking for this girlie.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-20-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I've made an easy version of this using the Black Bean Brownies/Cake recipe, a can of no sugar added cherry pie filling, and SF whipped cream. I've never had a cake like this with chocolate mousse filling, just the above stuff - sounds good!
Charski, how do you put this cake together? I have a recipe (haven't tried it yet) that puts cherry filling in the chocolate cake with chocolate pudding and more cherry filling on top - using a dollop of whipped cream on it when served. So I'm curious about yours.
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Buttoni! I'm going to try to make it next weekend!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Charski, how do you put this cake together? I have a recipe (haven't tried it yet) that puts cherry filling in the chocolate cake with chocolate pudding and more cherry filling on top - using a dollop of whipped cream on it when served. So I'm curious about yours.
Bake the cake per instructions, split it horizontally in half, fill with the sugarfree pie filling, reserving a little for the top; then top with whipped cream, and put a few little dollops of the reserved pie filling on top for decoration. DH loves this stuff.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
marking my place
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rae View Post
OMG! I am throwing a huge Oktoberfest party in September and this is so amazing that you posted this! Thanks so much! I am buying 3 big beautiful Black Forest Cakes for everyone else and now I can have one for me and maybe I can cajole my Father into eating this one as well as he is a diabetic. I'll try the recipe over the next few weekends to make sure I can make it look halfway decent. Cake decorating/frosting isn't my strong suit but I WILL make it work! Thanks again!!!
Okay, so we are all invited to your party, right?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
My Mom and I have been making this cake ever since I was in high school....and let's just say that was MANY moons ago. Of course, I don't make it with real sugar or flour anymore. This has always been the dessert friends and relatives ask for when they come to my house for holidays and special occasions. This is the one and only recipe I have that for many years, I wouldn't share the recipe. But that's just silly, so now that it's converted to a low-carb recipe, I share it with the internet world.

Peggy’s Black Forest Cake « Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes
Where do you find the canned red sour cherries? I have seen cherry pie filling but I am sure that is not the same.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Really beautiful, Peggy - love your photo! Thinking Kim Kardashian's One Minute Pound Cake sounds interesting too.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Where do you find the canned red sour cherries? I have seen cherry pie filling but I am sure that is not the same.

I have always been able to find them in any grocery store, HEB, Kroger, Walmart grocery. They're usually with the canned fruits and not with the canned pie fillings.

Thank you, Jennifer. It was Valentine's Day last year when I made this last and I had a lovely vase of red roses on hand.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-20-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs_munro
Stats: 167/127/130
Start Date: July 2003
I made a blackforest cake for my son's Bday last year. I am celiac, so for the cake section I used ChickenLady's chocolate almond fudge cake.
mrs_munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That is a beautiful cake. You have a great website and great recipes too. thank you for sharing with us.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for your kind words, Nigel. It's always a pleasure to share recipes. That's what good food is all about.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
subbing.... this sounds awesome!!!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
What an awesome looking cake. I sure wish there was an easier way to make this. I get intimidated when recipes have more than 7 ingredients. but I think this is going to be one of my Holiday cakes.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
If it would only cool down here, I would attempt to make your beautiful cake recipe

Pat
litehousepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pat, I'm just hoping it cools down by the holidays! LOL Would be nice for holiday baking, huh? And I'm not so convinced it will! Somebody on one of my LC forums posted yesterday the trees were starting to change colors wherever they live. Man, was I ever jealous! I like a lot of things about Texas, but weather here has never been on my short list.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
buttoni, Just wanna say what a nice addition to this site you are. Thank you for your recipes.

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Why thank you, SugarPop! So kind of you to say so. I enjoy sharing them. The more the merrier. Am really enjoying the site. Lots of great folks; lots of great cooks! Man, I could spend a lifetime just browsing the Recipe Room. Tackled Sauces & Dips last night. Let's just say I seriously depleted my stack of printer paper and printer ink.

It's on to Beef and Lamb tonight. What can I say, I'm hopelessly addicted. I keep thinking if I just keep searching I'll find that miracle recipe that's unique above all others. It's kinda like the quest for the "shrubbery" in Monty Python's Holy Grail movie.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #30

I made your scones on your site, Peggy..I used blueberries..they are very good..