Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Jello SF/FF Pudding Does NOT Set Using Coconut Milk....

but it doesn't say that on the package, does it!!! I called Kraft and got the answer that it will only set using milk! Well, it says on the package NOT to use soy milk, but NOTHING about other milks! I'M OUT THE MONEY FOR THE JELLO AND THE COCONUT MILK!

Not a happy camper and am wondering if anyone has an idea I can use to get this Jello pudding to set?

Thanks!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
That is weird..I thought I used that before..Maybe it has something in it like fresh pineapple has.

Do you have unflavored gelatin??? I would use that dissolved in a little cold water, then
a little hot water to dissolve it and mix it in your pudding.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Can you add some glucomanan to it? Sorry that happened...Maybe you can blend it up and make a shake with it. I hate wasting ingredients!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #4

I added gelatin, no good. Don't have gluc so that's out. Added a bit of PP and didn't do much.

I decided to just pour it over my cantaloupe chunks and eat it that way.

Very yummy, but not the pudding I was looking for today!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Wasn't there another thread where some people had success with just the pudding mix and water? I don't understand why that would set while the coconut milk wouldn't...maybe it has to do with cook and serve versus instant? Or maybe I'm confused - though I was planning to try the 'water' version!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #6

It was me who did the water and it worked great..

Did you use the Cook n Serve, Beeb???
Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Ive used Coconut milk and it works, you just have to use less coconut milk than regular milk to make it thicken
Mad4Chillas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas View Post
Ive used Coconut milk and it works, you just have to use less coconut milk than regular milk to make it thicken
OH, now THIS^^^ makes sense! How much less, please? And did you use the cook and serve or the instant? Mine was the instant and I'm wondering if that could have been the problem? AND thanks so much chiming in and helping!

CarolynF, did you really like the way it came out with water? I'm missing that creaminess and that is why I wanted pudding. Greek yogurt is just not cutting it right now. AND how much water did you use, the same amount as you would milk? AND was it cook and serve or instant? Thanks!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 08-11-2011 at 08:12 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
It was me who did the water and it worked great..

Did you use the Cook n Serve, Beeb???
Thanks - I'll get the cook n serve when I try it! Hate to fail on the first try (then I can try the instant). Appreciate the help!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
OH, now THIS^^^ makes sense! How much less, please? And did you use the cook and serve or the instant? Mine was the instant and I'm wondering if that could have been the problem? AND thanks so much chiming in and helping!

CarolynF, did you really like the way it came out with water? I'm missing that creaminess and that is why I wanted pudding. Greek yogurt is just not cutting it right now. AND how much water did you use, the same amount as you would milk? AND was it cook and serve or instant? Thanks!
Mine was the instant, I would start with 1 cup to a whole package and keep mixing adding in a little more coconut milk until u get to desired consistency. I only make like a 1/4 of a pack at time so I'm not sure exactly at how much I use when I do make it...
Mad4Chillas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I've made it with cashew milk and it worked, but I made the cashew milk and it might have been thicker than coconut milk and I did use less milk than the box asked for. The cashew milk made it very rich so I definetely couldn't eat much of it at one time.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #12

Beeb: I think I used water and added a couple of Tbs. of heavy cream for flavor..and probably almost 2 cups of the water/cream combo..

This is a total mystery why your pudding didn't set up with coconut milk...
Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Beeb: I think I used water and added a couple of Tbs. of heavy cream for flavor..and probably almost 2 cups of the water/cream combo..

This is a total mystery why your pudding didn't set up with coconut milk...
Thanks and I'm thinking I need to lower the amount of coconut milk like Mad4Chillas said. Going to try this with less milk next time and see what happens OR I just may get the Calorie Countdown (Carb Countdown) milk and use that!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #14

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I made it with almond milk and it refused to set even 15 min later , UNTIL I added some HWC then it set up just fine.

It is starch, but I think the thickening action is a reaction with the casien in the milk or something like that. I called too and looked it up online. there ia a reaction with an ingredient in milk that makes it set so firmly. Using less liquid would have the same effect but you'd consume more pudding mix per volume serving.

Almond, and coconut milks are relatively new to the alternative milk scene , while soy is an old stay. They probably have a dozen thousands of boxes already printed with the Soy details , can't go back and add info after it's printed.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 08-12-2011 at 12:11 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I made it with almond milk and it refused to set even 15 min later , UNTIL I added some HWC then it set up just fine.

It is starch, but I think the thickening action is a reaction with the casien in the milk or something like that. I called too and looked it up online. there ia a reaction with an ingredient in milk that makes it set so firmly. Using less liquid would have the same effect but you'd consume more pudding mix per volume serving.

Almond, and coconut milks are relatively new to the alternative milk scene , while soy is an old stay. They probably have a dozen thousands of boxes already printed with the Soy details , can't go back and add info after it's printed.
Thanks for the info and could you tell me how much HWC you added? I do understand about the boxes already being printed, but at least it could have said something on the website! I looked BEFORE I bought and it said nothing, not even about soy milk! I just HATE big food industry!!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #16

I think I just added a couple of Tablespoons, after I found out about the milk chem reaction.

I didn't think to check the website They SHOULD put it on the web. that's easy. Maybe we should all write them to edit the page to say so! I like doing that kind of stuff.

Off to write the Jello company. . .and ask them why there isn't a Sugar Free Cookies and Cream Pudding! Wait, that wasn't the orignal topic
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Not just soy milk, but goat's milk, too. Oh, and if you're adding lemon or lime juice to the instant sugar free pudding right away, it won't set either. If you want to use sugar free instant pudding with lime or lemon juice, you have to wait until it's set.

Just a few observations.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
I think I just added a couple of Tablespoons, after I found out about the milk chem reaction.

I didn't think to check the website They SHOULD put it on the web. that's easy. Maybe we should all write them to edit the page to say so! I like doing that kind of stuff.

Off to write the Jello company. . .and ask them why there isn't a Sugar Free Cookies and Cream Pudding! Wait, that wasn't the orignal topic
LOL, I you, Metga!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Does anyone know if the instant pudding works with calorie countdown, or carb countdown, whichever you call it. lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #20

Here is what I wrote:
Quote:
Hi, My friends and I are on various diets that often include milk substitutes. While the packaging on the Pudding Products state that they do not set with Soy milk, there are so many other "milk products" on the market now that we are looking for information about whether other milk products, like almond, rice, coconut, even goat's milk, will work with the instant pudding. One of my friends looked on the webisite to find the answer but saw no mention that almond milk wouldn't work. Only after her pudding didn't set did she call a hotline and was told that it wouldn't. We wondered that since this information is known by your best Customer Service Reps, could it also be included on the website as well so that people who are new to the alternative milk scene won't have the same disappointment. We know that future customers will appreciate having this information readily available since current customers are already seeking it out. Thanks in advance for this easy and minor addition to your website information. And thanks for having great products
I hope they respond. the contact menu is a PITA!

Last edited by metqa; 08-13-2011 at 02:22 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
pudding will set up with Hood's CC milk, but it is a bit "softer" than if you use half cream/half water. If you aren't watching fat, the half cream is a better carb bargain. I have also found if you want a bit more flavor to add a couple tablespoons of sf Da Vinci or Torani syrup instead of some of the water, caramel syrup is totally tasty in butterscotch pudding.

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #22

They wrote back:
Quote:
Thank You for Contacting Us!

Hi Metqa,

Thank you for visiting Great Recipes, Dinner Ideas and Quick & Easy Meals from Kraft Foods.

Thanks so much for taking the time to contact us with your suggestion about adding information to our website. We're always delighted when people care enough about our products and packaging to offer their own creative ideas.

As you might know, we have a new "unsolicited ideas" policy that allows Kraft to consider some types of ideas (mainly for new products and packaging innovations) submitted by consumers. However, our policy does not cover unsolicited ideas regarding: product line extensions, packaging changes, advertising, promotions and recipes ideas.

So, those types of ideas are not sent along to our new "Innovations Team," who is responsible for analyzing unsolicited ideas under our new policy.

But, we do want you to know that comments shared by our consumers can be very helpful to Kraft. Various Kraft teams do review comments such as yours, which help us identify consumer trends, preferences and needs.

Again, we appreciate you contacting us and applaud both your creativity and loyalty.

It was great hearing from you, and remember we're always updating our site so visit us again soon!

Kim McMiller
Associate Director, Consumer Relations

~~TLXEA_22556568~~N

------------------------------------------------------------------

We wondered that since this information is known by your best Customer Service Reps, could it also be included on the website as well so that people who are new to the alternative milk scene won't have the same disappointment. We know that future customers will appreciate having this information readily available since current customers are already seeking it out. Thanks in advance for this easy and minor addition to your website information.
I have no idea what this response actually means!

Last edited by metqa; 08-15-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #23

Quote:
They wrote back:

I have no idea what this response actually means!
Sounds like a bunch of mombo-jumbo and someone trying to back pedal because they screwed up somehow!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
It's a standard "cover-your-butt" response in the days of anyone will sue for anything. Probably does not apply to your message, but they have to include it... If you suggested something that they eventually came out with a version of, you could potentially sue for part of the profits from the new line. McDonalds, Disney, etc., won't even accept customer suggestions for those very reasons (or at least, have not in the past).

I'm sure everything after the "suggestion about adding information to our website" is probably a canned response.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #25

I think that innovative thing is a contest they are doing to encourage people to share their ideas for a chance at compensation if the idea is used. It seems like they are saying that the idea to add to the website doesn't qualify for the "innovation policy" so it won't be considered for that program. It says as much in the website. Innovation ideas must be related to certain topics and the website data is not one of them.
They are just letting me know that my idea is given unsolicited and may or may not be considered.

I don't care. I just want them to do what's best for the customer and make me some Sugar Free Oreo Pudding Mix! ... Uh oh, and add to the website about the milks too....
Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #26

OK, I used 1 3/4 cup Calorie Countdown Milk and a package of instant cheese cake pudding and it came out PERFECT!!

And ONLY 40 cals for us counting calories!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I've used coconut and almond milk to make s/f pudding and it worked for me. I used 1 1/2 cups of milk. It was slightly loose but that was fine with me. You could also add a Tablespoon of powdered milk I guess.

What made me do it was Carolyn's water experiment. It worked great.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Does anyone know if the instant pudding works with calorie countdown, or carb countdown, whichever you call it. lol
Hey Gina!!! Yes, I now use the Calorie Countdown milk all the time. I use 1 3/4 cups of milk to a package of instant pudding and it works great everytime!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #29

Can you still Buy Calorie countdown in whole milk or 2%? I can only find skim nowadays...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pearldrop
Stats: 165/119.2/121 (5'4") Goal reached: 26/12/2011
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
but it doesn't say that on the package, does it!!! I called Kraft and got the answer that it will only set using milk! Well, it says on the package NOT to use soy milk, but NOTHING about other milks! I'M OUT THE MONEY FOR THE JELLO AND THE COCONUT MILK!

Not a happy camper and am wondering if anyone has an idea I can use to get this Jello pudding to set?

Thanks!
Hi Beeb;
I suggest you to use 1-2 teaspoons of xanthan gum to thicken it.
Pearldrop is offline   Reply With Quote