Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steelerfan2010
Batter for fish etc.?

Hi all,

I am going to pick up a fryer this weekend and would like to try a few things. I found the carbquik beer batter recipe and it looks great - what can I substitute for beer? My goal is to get as close as fish n' chips (obviously without the chips).

Also - are there any recommendations for types of oil for the fryer? I've used peanut oil in my turkey fryer and it was great, was thinking of using that in the new fryer but have never heard of anyone doing that before.

Thanks a bunch,
Rob
steelerfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
You can use low carb beer.

Peanut oil will be fine in your fryer.

Welcome to LCF Rob.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks. Any substitute for the LC beer? I'm wondering if it is truly necessary, and I don't have any in the house.

Rob
Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RVlady
I always use club soda instead of beer.

Connie
RVlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Wouldn't the beer give it a nice flavor? Does anyone know if Trader Joes sells a low carb beer? I don't drink beer and they sell beer by the can.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Wouldn't the beer give it a nice flavor? Does anyone know if Trader Joes sells a low carb beer? I don't drink beer and they sell beer by the can.
Tilly, I don't drink beer either, but I love to cook with it! I buy a 6 pack every so often. I've made bread (hc days) roasts, fondues, you can even make ice cream with it, I've had it its pretty good! I think the beer would add a lot to the fish batter....that and malt vinegar on the side...mmm I'm hungry right now!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
Tilly, I don't drink beer either, but I love to cook with it! I buy a 6 pack every so often. I've made bread (hc days) roasts, fondues, you can even make ice cream with it, I've had it its pretty good! I think the beer would add a lot to the fish batter....that and malt vinegar on the side...mmm I'm hungry right now!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Light Beer (all) has 0 carbs according to NutritionData Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Alcoholic beverage, beer, light

Carbquik Recipe: Beer Battered Fish

Servings: 4
Net Carbs Per Serving: 3g
Total Preparation Time: 6 - 8 minutes

Fish:

1 pound fish fillets
4 tablespoons carbquik
1 cup carbquik
1/2 cup beer, Low Carb (I used 1 cup, possibly even a bit more)
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon salt
Canola oil for frying
*Added some cayenne and garlic powder

Low Carb Tartar Sauce:

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Sour Cream
3 tablespoons pickle relish, no sugar added

Beer Battered Fish

Instructions:

Fish:

-Heat oil (1 1/2 inches) in heavy saucepan or deep fryer to 350ºF. Lightly coat fish in the 4 tablespoons of carbquik. (Some other recipes suggested 325 for deep fat frying. I agree. 350 browns too quickly)
-Mix remaining ingredients with hand beater or wire whisk until smooth. (If batter is too thick, stir in additional beer, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.)
-Dip fish into batter, letting excess drip into bowl.(Being very careful not to break the batter using a very light touch on the fish, or use a fork to spear the fish)
-Fry fish about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain. Serve hot with Low Carb tartar sauce.

Low Carb Tartar Sauce:

Mix all ingredients together and chill

I've used the above Carbquick beer batter recipe with light beer and was really happy with the results. I battered up some Swai. Anyone else used that fish? It's kinda like catfish. Very economical.

Notes on battering. The recipe cautions you to "go light" with the batter. Lemme just say Amen to that. The more thickly battered fish puffed up into a crispy outer coating with about 1/2 inch dough beneath. The finished product looked like a monstrous fried honeybun.
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
Light Beer (all) has 0 carbs according to NutritionData Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Alcoholic beverage, beer, light
They are apparently misinformed.

Miller Light has 3.2 carbs per 12 oz.
Michelob Ultra has 2.6 carbs per 12 oz.

Amstel Light has 5
Bud Light has 6.6
Coors Light has 5

This link may help more as far as beer carbs: Beer Alcohol Content & Carbs
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for all the ideas - I can't wait for this weekend to try this out.

Rob
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
We use pork rinds for our batter for fish. Even the kids loved it!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phos4us
Stats: I'm trying to give up the scale! 5'11"/41 yrs
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: May 25, 2011
I found out by accident that the most authentic "fish & chips" batter so far is with the low-carb choux pastry (on my blog.) I make it a tad more runny than I would use it for the churros (as in using 2 full eggs and maybe an additional splash of water/beer.)
It fries up like the crispy batter from the fish and chips shops in the UK! And it takes long enough to fry up so the fish can cook too.
I often find that low carb doughs and batters can turn a very dark brown VERY quickly and anything inside wouldn't have a chance to cook all the way through. Not with this one!

“How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” ~Trina Paulus

"The thing that is really hard - and really amazing - is giving up on being perfect, and beginning the true work of becoming yourself." ~Anna Quindlen

Daily Bytes Recipe Blog
Phos4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phos4us View Post
I found out by accident that the most authentic "fish & chips" batter so far is with the low-carb choux pastry (on my blog.) I make it a tad more runny than I would use it for the churros (as in using 2 full eggs and maybe an additional splash of water/beer.)
It fries up like the crispy batter from the fish and chips shops in the UK! And it takes long enough to fry up so the fish can cook too.
I often find that low carb doughs and batters can turn a very dark brown VERY quickly and anything inside wouldn't have a chance to cook all the way through. Not with this one!
Phos4us: do you recommend doubling the recipe for coating fish? Or is one recipe enough? Also, I would use two eggs in it and add more beer to thin it out? Thank you for your blog, I love it! Some great ideas there!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nice blog! My mouth is watering just from cruising your index. I wasn't able to find the low carb choux pastry or churros in the index? Help me out, please?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Churros Birgit
1/2 cup of water
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. oat flour
2 tbsp. of vital wheat gluten
1 tbsp. wheat protein isolate 8000
1 tbsp. vanilla whey protein powder
2 large egg (approximately)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon, ground
1 tbsp. granular sweetener
1/8 tsp. xanthan or guar gum
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
2 tbsp. Erythritol, granulated or powdered
2 tbsp. Ideal
1 tsp. of SugarNot (can be replaced by any other high impact sweetener, except for liquid ones)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (more or less to taste)
Start heating the oil in your fryer. Melt butter; set aside. Bring water with salt to a full boil in a saucepan; add butter. In the meantime, mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Dump the flours into the boiling mix all at once, and stir continuously with a wooden spoon. It will look lumpy and soupy for a few seconds but keep on stirring - it will come together into a smooth dough. Turn down heat to medium and cook for a couple of minutes until the mixture pulls away from the pan. Cook for a couple more minutes while moving the dough around and stirring. Remove from the heat. Place the dough in the bowl or a mixer. Using a wooden spoon or the paddle attachment, mix the dough for a few minutes, allowing it to cool slightly. Mix the sweeteners and cinnamon for the cinnamon “sugar” coating in a separate bowl and set aside. Add the beaten eggs gradually, in three or four additions, mixing the dough until it is smooth each time. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl until all of the eggs are incorporated. You may not need the whole two eggs if the mixture becomes too sloppy. The paste should be of a pipe able consistency and not too runny. Now transfer your churro dough to a piping bag. Drop a little ball of dough into your hot oil to see if it’s ready. If it comes right back up to the surface and starts to fry and bubble straight away, the oil is ready. Get as close to the oil as you can and pipe long strips. Now you will find out if your dough is the right consistency. The frying takes mere seconds on each side, so be prepared to watch over these the entire time. Flip them as soon as the underside appears to be a golden brown. Once the frying is done, remove them from the oil and briefly place them on doubled up kitchen roll to drain. Then place in the sweetener cinnamon mix and shake around to cover! Repeat until all the churros are done!
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

One recipe coated 4 pieces of fish quite nicely, with some leftover, so I didn't double the recipe. If you need to coat more fish however, then you probably need to double. My pieces were probably 6-7 oz each. It doesn't look like all that much batter at first but it coats well and since it puffs up some in the oil, it really doesn't need all that much!

BTW, I didn't add the cinnamon or the sweetener to the fish batter. I forgot to mention that above.

Quote:
Nice blog! My mouth is watering just from cruising your index. I wasn't able to find the low carb choux pastry or churros in the index? Help me out, please?
Seems I forgot to to add those! Fixed it! Sorry about that :blush:
Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
Phos4us: do you recommend doubling the recipe for coating fish? Or is one recipe enough? Also, I would use two eggs in it and add more beer to thin it out? Thank you for your blog, I love it! Some great ideas there!
When I said I would use the full two eggs, I meant that I just added the two eggs. In the churros recipe the amount of eggs is dependent on what consistency you get and you may not add all the egg since it can get too runny.
For the fish batter you want runny. And if it's not runny enough (as in the consistency of a pancake batter) then I would add a little beer, or water, or milk to thin it out a little more.

Maybe I should do a blog post on fish batter!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

@Phos4us - I'm flabbergasted by your recipe's. Just sayin The "basics" items you've listed make me realize you have some serious cooking experience. The cross section photo of the churro? Perfection!

Thanks to Kevinpa, I have all the choux pastry ingredients and will use it as coating for some fried fish very soon. In the meantime, I'll just tip-toe through the dozens of low carb recipes I've never seen before!

Thanks for truly expanding my low-carb universe!!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks And yes, I like to cook Always have, regardless of what eating plan or dietary restrictions come my way! (mine or others) :blush:
Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks And yes, I like to cook Always have, regardless of what eating plan or dietary restrictions come my way! (mine or others) :blush:
I am so glad you love to cook!!! I used to really get into cooking...but diabetes got in my way!! Thankfully there are people like you that have recipes that are just as good and have a close match to high carb food! In other words, THANK YOU for your blog!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Carbquik Recipe: Beer Battered Fish

Servings: 4
Net Carbs Per Serving: 3g
Total Preparation Time: 6 - 8 minutes

Fish:

1 pound fish fillets
4 tablespoons carbquik
1 cup carbquik
1/2 cup beer, Low Carb (I used 1 cup, possibly even a bit more)
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon salt
Canola oil for frying
*Added some cayenne and garlic powder

Low Carb Tartar Sauce:

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Sour Cream
3 tablespoons pickle relish, no sugar added

Beer Battered Fish

Instructions:

Fish:

-Heat oil (1 1/2 inches) in heavy saucepan or deep fryer to 350ºF. Lightly coat fish in the 4 tablespoons of carbquik. (Some other recipes suggested 325 for deep fat frying. I agree. 350 browns too quickly)
-Mix remaining ingredients with hand beater or wire whisk until smooth. (If batter is too thick, stir in additional beer, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.)
-Dip fish into batter, letting excess drip into bowl.(Being very careful not to break the batter using a very light touch on the fish, or use a fork to spear the fish)
-Fry fish about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain. Serve hot with Low Carb tartar sauce.

Low Carb Tartar Sauce:

Mix all ingredients together and chill

I've used the above Carbquick beer batter recipe with light beer and was really happy with the results. I battered up some Swai. Anyone else used that fish? It's kinda like catfish. Very economical.

Notes on battering. The recipe cautions you to "go light" with the batter. Lemme just say Amen to that. The more thickly battered fish puffed up into a crispy outer coating with about 1/2 inch dough beneath. The finished product looked like a monstrous fried honeybun.
Hmm, fish with lots of fried dough? I don't think that is a bad thing, just saying. Maybe you could take that dough and no fish and make a fried doughnut?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I posted the recipe for my battered cod on my blog now.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

*THUD* That looks like high carb fish...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
OMG, Birgit, I can't wait to try this. Have all the ingredients, too! I'm so impressed with your website and blown away at your cooking skill! Look forward to exploring your site further.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
YeP! DH lives it even better. We just dip the fish in egg wash, roll in crushed pork rinds and fry. We use the same batter for fried chicken legs too.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I posted the recipe for my battered cod on my blog now.

Wow!!!! I'll take 2 pieces to go!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I coat chicken tenders with unsweetened coconut meal or flour or parmesan cheese. I often add herbs and spices--like Penzey's sate' seasoning or garlic powder.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post

I do too. Here's my new low-carb version that is oven "fried":

Oven Fried Fish « Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
OMG, Birgit, I can't wait to try this. Have all the ingredients, too! I'm so impressed with your website and blown away at your cooking skill! Look forward to exploring your site further.
Thank you I've been exploring yours too! There's some yummy looking recipes on there!

@ fourstubbs - It tastes like it too! My kids actually like this one, while they won't touch any other breading/batter on fish, high carb or not!

@ Tilly - Coming right up!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
BF liked pork rind crusted fried tomatoes. I did a comparison tween that and corn breading. the pork rinds were crisper and didn't brown as fast as the corn.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote