Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: califia
Stats: 269/194/129 - 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2009
Lavash bread recipe?

Hi All! Sorry if this has been posted before but I cannot find it if it has.

I've just discovered Joseph's Lavash Bread (I am a bit slow to the party, I think) but it's very expensive in the UK (over £3 per pack! ) so I wanted to make my own.

I've found regular lavash bread at the Asian supermarket but that's just wheat flour and water. Does anyone have any recipes for it or can point me in the right direction? Has anyone tried replicating it?

Thanks in advance!
califia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Just found this post, here's a recipe for Lavash I found on "About.com", don't know if it will work for you or not, though!

Lavash

Lavash is thin, soft flatbread that is served with dips and used for wraps.

Serves 8 large pieces or 16 small pieces.
Ingredients:
•1 pkg. yeast
•1 1/2 cup warm water
•2 teaspoons sugar
•4 1/2 cup all purpose flour
•1 tablespooon toasted sesame seeds
•1 tablespoon toasted
•1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preparation:
Coat a large bowl with oil. Set aside.

In a measuring cup, combine yeast, water and sugar. Mix until yeast is dissolved.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Add yeast water mixture and form a dough. Knead dough by hand for 10 -15 minutes. 5-8 minutes is sufficient if using a knead hook on a mixer.

Once dough is kneaded, place ball of dough in oiled bowl. Roll the dough around the bowl to coat it with oil. Cover and let rise for 1 -1 1/2 hours, or until dough doubles in size.

Once dough has doubled, punch down to release air. Continue to knead for about 5 minutes.

Divide dough into 8 separate balls of dough. Cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Once risen, roll dough out to thin rectangles, about 12"x10" for large or 8"x6" for small flatbreads. They should be as thin as pizza dough.

Puncture rectangles with a fork. Brush dough with water and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake on baking sheet for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Continue to bake remaining dough.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Well, duh! I was so proud to find this recipe that I didn't even notice the FOUR & 1/2 CUPS FLOUR in it! "And the search continues"!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Here's one from "WordPress.com" - maybe some of you top-notch tweakers could make this lower-carb? I surely hope so, 'cause this looks promising!

Gluten Free, Whole Grain Sandwich Wraps
Recipe makes one jelly roll pan of wraps/ gluten-free lavash bread
Ingredients:
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup potato starch (NOT flour)
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 Tablespoons yeast
2 Tablespoons powdered buttermilk or non-dairy powdered milk
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
3/4 cup of warm water (+/- tablespoons of water)
1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons cracked black pepper*
3/4 teaspoons cumin*
3/4 teaspoons dill*
3/4 teaspoons fennel*

(*Feel free to omit the seasonings (but not the salt) if you prefer a plain flavor. I found the herbs to be an amazing addition for my sandwiches.)

Directions:

1.Preheat your oven to 400F.
2.Mix together the dry ingredients in the bowl of your mixer – sorghum, millet, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, yeast, powdered buttermilk, salt and optional seasonings.
3.Mix together the water (start with 3/4 cup), agave nectar, olive oil and vinegar.
4.Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix on low until blended. The dough should not resist the beaters and bounce around in the bowl but rather be more of a soft cookie dough – maybe even a bit more wet.
5.Beat the dough on high for no more than 2 minutes. The dough should look like this: (Sorry, picture didn't travel well!)

6.Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spread the dough as thinly as possible to cover the 10 x 15″ jelly roll pan. (To do this, I used a rubber spatula and kept dipping it in to water to keep the dough from sticking. This dough is not really as sticky as you might think – but the extra water helps push it out easier.)

1.Bake at 400F for 13-16 minutes until the top begins to brown and the edges are browned. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight bag. (I rolled mine up in the parchment paper and then tucked it in to a gallon size Ziploc last night before heading off to bed.)
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I haven't made these in awhile, but this recipe might be a flavor and texture that would work for your purposes: 0051.jpg picture by buttonbutt - Photobucket

Indian Naan or Wraps
August 1, 2010 by buttoni

I modified the Sherrielee Tortilla Wrap recipe on Linda Genaw’s website to come up with this recipe. It’s quite tasty and is less delicate to handle than my gluten-free wrap recipe. Today, I made a roasted chicken shawarma sandwich with shawarma mayo with one of these for lunch and it was delicious! And I could actually pick it up and eat it without a fork and plate. I indeed got nine 8″ thin wraps.

After several experiments, I have found the easiest method of cooking these is to use a non-sided flat cake plate I have. I spray plate between each one with vegetable/olive oil cooking spray.

These are an excellent substitute for Indian Naan Bread. Add a bit of toasted onion bits and you’ve got Onion Naan. Some cottage cheese, chopped cilantro and nigella seeds and you’ve got Cheese Naan! I own a grilling skillet with holes in it that is non-stick and I plan on trying to smoke these over a charcoal fire one of these days, too. That way they’d taste even more like tandoori baked naan! Due to the oat flour, these are not acceptable until the grains rung of OWL.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1/3 c. unsweetened, unflavored whey protein
3 T. oat flour
3 T. flax meal
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. heavy cream (reduce to 2 T. if making as Naan)

DIRECTIONS: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and beat until smooth again. Add remaining ingredients and beat well. The mixture will be thin like pancake batter. Spray a non-sided flat plate with vegetable or olive oil spray. Using a 1/4 c. measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the paper, tilting plate to allow batter to roll out to 8-9″. Microwave on HI for 70 seconds. Remove and cool slightly. Gently lift off plate with thin metal spatula and place on paper towel. Make the next remaining pieces. Use a paper towel between them as you stack them to cool.

I then like to slightly brown these a bit on both sides (as in my picture) in a dry non-stick skillet over high heat, particularly if you plan to use as Naan bread rather than as a sandwich wrap. This step enhances appearance and flavor.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 9 8-9″ pieces, each containing:

150 calories
12.5 g fat
3.0 g carbs
.75 g fiber
2.75 NET CARBS
8.8 g protein
132 mg sodium
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thanks for the Naan recipe. It looks good.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My pleasure. I've only used it as a wrap so far.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojave
What is shawarma mayo, please?
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: califia
Stats: 269/194/129 - 5'6"
Start Date: March 2009
Oooh, thanks! That naan recipe looks great. I will definitely give it a go!
califia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mojave, my shawarma mayo I love so much, it has become, quite honestly, just about the only way I make homemade mayo anymore. I always make a double (2 cup) batch of my homemade mayo and add 2-3 tsp. of my shawarma spice to it. The taste goes with just about everything I've ever put it on. Here are links to those recipes over on my recipe site:

Homemade Mayonnaise « Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes

Shawarma Spice Blend « Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes

Califia, hope you like it! I always appreciate feedback comments on my site. Recipes are like life.....a work in progress.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-20-2011 at 08:13 AM..
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ereino
Stats: 157/131/115
WOE: FattoSkinny by Doug Varrier Net Carbs
Start Date: October 23, 2012
Sami's Bakery in Tampa Florida Low Carb Low Calories Lavash

Hi, I have been buying Sami's Bakery slim trim Lavash with net carbs of 1 pr half slice. Ingredients are: Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour, Soy Flour, Bran Flour, Water, Rolled Oats, Wheat Fiber, Sesame Seeds, Millet Seeds, Olive Oil, Salt, Yeast, Cultured Organic Unbleached Wheat Flour.

I called Sami's and asked if they could give out the recipe, i.e., how many cups / tspns, etc of each and, of course, they declined.

Also, I don't know where to purchased the cultured organic unbleached wheat flour and the wheat fiber. Anybody ... help! and Thanks.

I guess I can simply guess at how much of each ingredient.

The label states the following: Calories 65. Total Fat 1g. No Saturated Fat or Trans Fat. No Cholesterol. Sodium 160mg. Total Carbs 11g / Dietary Feber 10g. no ugars. Protein 3g.

My husband is diabetic and want to make these as they cost $4.50 per pack of 6 and shipping costs is $16.00 no matter how many your purchase, which is very high as far as I'm concerned. Net carbs is the way to go. Anyone ever read Fat to Skinny by Doug Varrier?
ereino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Have you checked Walmart? I find them at our superwalmart here for about $3 per pkg.
They keep them in front of the deli section.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote