Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amywah
Stats: 197/184/130
Need some super cheap meals for for 4 days

We are almost out of food and I have $50 for groceries right now. Has to last a minimum of 4 days but the longer the better. There are 2 people (me and DH). He eats mainly low carb while at home.

I was thinking of going to Sav a Lot and getting some of the cheap frozen ground turkey and some cabbage for crackslaw. Eggs, shredded cheese. Ground beef for burgers, chicken pieces to bake... Any other ideas?
We do have quite a bit of protein powder, almonds, frozen broccoli, canned chicken, and canned tuna.
amywah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
Chicken leg quarters are cheaper than whole chicken pieces. It looks like you have enough food on hand to make it for four days without buying much extra. I would have protein shakes for breakfast, chicken salad and tuna salad for lunch, boiled eggs for snacks. For dinner, either I would buy a family pack of ground beef OR a family pack of thighs or leg quarters, a head of cabbage and eggs. Assuming the chicken is cheaper, you can bake the thighs, pull the meat off the bone, chop it up and make crack slaw with the pulled chicken.

When my husband and I were in college, we had many food budget crises. I learned that it was best to raid the freezer and cupboards first and spend the cash only as a last resort, so I wouldn't sink the whole $50 on day one.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I'd buy a head of lettuce, some frozen chicken, ground turkey, eggs...I used to spend $40/week on me and my two small kids. I remember eating cheese and deli turkey rolled up with alfalfa sprouts inside. Grilled meat (especially that inexpensive frozen chicken). Hard boiled eggs or you could easily do omelettes. I like to make stuffed peppers when I can find them cheap (cooked ground turkey and the lowest carb spaghetti sauce I can find). It sounds like you probably have enough stuff on hand, and maybe just spending your $50 on fresh or frozen veggies would be a good option?

Read me
And also...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Check your grocery sales online and go to wal-mart where they match prices.
Ground beef, chicken leg quarters (thighs have been on sale a lot here. I got several packs of 8-10 for under $3 each last week), tuna, eggs, check the marked down bins if you can use the meat within a few days(or freeze it). Opt for frozen veggies instead of fresh (Kroger has their brand on sale most weeks for under $1 a pack).
Scramble eggs with cooked ground beef and cabbage and canned tomatoes for a high protein, filling meal.
Stir fry chopped cabbage and add a little half and half, cheese and drained canned tuna for a quick tuna casserole.
Zucchini has been on sale here a lot too, diced or shredded for a quick pasta replacement.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Oh good ideas. That scrambled eggs with ground beef and cabbage sounds interesting. As does crackslaw made with chicken.

Question: How do you eat the tuna or chicken salad? Do you put it in lettuce? Or just eat by the spoon? I have only had tuna salad on bread.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I just eat it straight lol. You can put it in lettuce, or on cucumber slices, celery or whatever you like
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Tuna salad is good stuffed into hollowed out tomatoes, or if you make it with cream cheese instead of mayo, you can hollow out lengths of cucumber (use a melon baller and scoop out all the seeds), stuff with the tuna/cream cheese, chill an hour or two, then slice into 1" or more thick rounds. It's fun to eat the cucumber with the tuna middles!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
Get a large hunk of meat and put it in the slow cooker. I could eat this for 4+ days easy.

cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I just ran by Kroger for coconut oil and fresh veggies-went by the meat section and they were discounting a lot of meats by considerable amounts to move out b/c of sale by dates. I really stocked up. I've noticed Tuesday, Wed. and Sat mornings are good days for that early in the day. Prolly other stores do the same. I was there about 9.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1annewil View Post
I just ran by Kroger for coconut oil and fresh veggies-went by the meat section and they were discounting a lot of meats by considerable amounts to move out b/c of sale by dates. I really stocked up. I've noticed Tuesday, Wed. and Sat mornings are good days for that early in the day. Prolly other stores do the same. I was there about 9.
Thanks for that tip! I was at Kroger on a random day recently and found medium sized eggs for about (don't remember exactly) 50 - 75 cents per dozen! Needless to say, I bought all they had. Deviled, into OMM's, scrambled, anything really.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steak_Fanatic
The slow cooked chicken looks really good. I would buy some eggs if I was on your budget. Cheap eggs around me are about $1.30 a carton. There are so many ways to cook eggs too. Omelet with extras, scrambled, deviled, quiche, frittatas...
Steak_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pamela C
Stats: 5'10", 285/239/170(1st rd)256/239/227170(restart)
WOE: 1972 Atkins
Start Date: restart june 2011
Sounds like your pantry is pretty solid. I'd spend the cash on eggs, cream,sour cream, whatever cheese on sale,veggies. With the broccoli/chicken get some sour cream, chop sm onion and a little cheese-mix up-casserole dish and bake. You could do dinner with that and left overs for lunch. If not enough for everyone for leftovers- make an omlette and stuff the leftover casserole in the omlette. eggs are the one thing I love to save $. I'd also use the eggs/tuna/cheese to make tuna melt omlettes. Yikes-I'm making myself hungry!
Pamela C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Sardines are super healthy and cheap if you like them.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

For the broccoli/chicken bake.. You mean use the canned chicken for that? Never thought of that. I am going to the store this morning.
Thank you all for the tips.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
i just made a tuna casserole with frozen veggies and tuna. super cheap meal and lasted two days. the same would work with canned tuna.

also maybe a cheeeseburger pie casserole. cheap, easy yummy.

we're going cheap too this week, i went to kroger early saturday morning (that's when they mark down meat and other items for sale). i got my proteins super cheap.
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I'm on a tight budget this week as well. I bought a crap load of tuna pouches for $.85/ea. Guess what I'm eating all week...
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Charski's
idea with the cucumber also works really nice with zucchini. I like fresh raw zucchini too.
Take a raw zucchini and hollow out a little and set aside.
Then make a small salad with chopped lettuce,onion,green& red peppers, cucumber, and a couple strawberries and dress.
Put this in a zucchini, make a great side dish with steak.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I am going to check out Kroger early Saturday morning! I hate paying full price especially for meat. My local one used to mark meat down Sunday evenings. Lately
I haven't been able to find many markdowns.
I never find their produce marked down, however my local Meijers store marks bagged lettuce down frequently and this week they are running quite a few 10 for $10 items and lettuce was one of them! I eat a bag a day by myself since the salad is my entire meal.
Also, watch for farmers markets if any in your area. Great place to get good produce at good price this time of year.
I think the best thing to do is take an inventory of what you already have in the pantry and in the freezer. I am bad about "losing" things in the freezer. Then decide what you can make with what you have. Then you only have to buy a few necessary items at a time.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jo2621
Stats: 225+ now 135 5'5" 48 y.o.
WOE: LC maintenance since 2008
Start Date: June 2007
Use the canned chicken to make mock crab cakes:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Our power was out for 5+ days after the April 27 (Alabama) tornadoes. I keep canned chicken in the emergency supplies and we had these and loved them.

They are good with tartar sauce or remoulade. And they are really good wrapped in a big lettuce leaf with mayo and a slice of cheese!
jo2621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Charski's
idea with the cucumber also works really nice with zucchini. I like fresh raw zucchini too.
Take a raw zucchini and hollow out a little and set aside.
Then make a small salad with chopped lettuce,onion,green& red peppers, cucumber, and a couple strawberries and dress.
Put this in a zucchini, make a great side dish with steak.
And shred the scooped out part and make zucchini cakes!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Chili or soup are good to make for "stretching."

Make chili with ground beef and/or turkey, onion, canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, garlic. Eat chili in a bowl w/cheese & sour cream one day. Next day, spoon chili over hot dogs w/mustard. Then have chili over zucchini 'noodles' like spaghetti. Sprinkle w/cheese.

Another day, cook a bunch of chicken thighs in the oven. First day, have crispy baked thighs w/zucchini, green salad, or other LC veggies. Next day, chop leftover chicken for chic salad or stir fry. Then chop the rest of the chicken & any leftover veggies, combine with chicken broth (can get them 2/$1 most places--or use water & bouillon cubes), couple of cans of other LC veggies (tomatoes, green beans), season like crazy, and make soup! You can stir in beaten egg while it boils to make a sort of egg-drop soup that's a bit more hearty and thick.

That's SIX meals at a low cost and very little effort. We all have those months--more than ever with this economy! I'm loving all these ideas. Good luck!

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wow Tilly never thought of that Thanks bunches.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Wow Tilly never thought of that Thanks bunches.
I hate to waste food.