Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   My favorite new dessert -- Low Carb Poke Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/729172-my-favorite-new-dessert-low-carb-poke-cake.html)

bowulf 07-23-2011 09:09 AM

My favorite new dessert -- Low Carb Poke Cake
 
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1150542_n.jpg

I came up with this recipe or combination while I was down in Florida. I modified Linda's pound cake with the combination almond and coconut flour. The cake stays really moist and melts as you eat it.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Butter (1.5 sticks)
6 oz Cream Cheese
1 cup Splenda, or liquid equivalent
7 Eggs
1.5 tsp Lemon Juice
1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
1.5 cup Almond Flour
.75 cup Coconut Flour
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
1 packet Sugar Free Strawberry / Raspberry Jello
1 cup hot water
1 cup ice water

Whipped Topping;
1.25 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
4 tsp Splenda
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Strawberries, optional
Makes 12 servings.

Nutrition Info (per Serving)
228 Calories, 21.5g Fat, 4.8g Total Carbs (2.3g Fiber), 6.2g Protein


bowulf 07-23-2011 09:12 AM

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5472689_n.jpg

One more photo of the interior of the cake.

CarolynF 07-23-2011 10:01 AM

I love Poke Cake..Thanks so much for the LC recipe..

My mom would make a 2 layer for Christmas..one with green jello and one with red jello.
It was very good.

LindaSue 07-23-2011 10:36 AM

That looks wonderful, Kent. Do you have the instructions posted somewhere? I watched the video but didn't jot down some of the particulars. Also, did you say that you ground your own coconut in your coffee grinder? If so, then I suppose that commercial coconut flour wouldn't be suitable for this recipe since it's de-fatted, right? How many ounces of coconut did you need to use to get 3/4 cup of "flour"?

Instead of measuring your liquid Splenda drop by drop, and counting the drops, you can just measure out 1/4 teaspoon to equal 1 cup of sugar. At least that's the amount to use of both Sweetzfree and EZ-Sweetz.

ladeeda 07-23-2011 11:43 AM

I can use coconut (ground or otherwise). Cannot use coconut flour. Which do you use in this cake...please say ground coconut ?! ;)

Beeb 07-23-2011 11:56 AM

OH YUMMY!!! Bookmarks this baby, for sure!!! :up::high5:

Soobee 07-23-2011 01:19 PM

I watched the video and wrote down the instructions. Yes, it is ground coconut.
Poke Cake Kent
1 cups almond flour
cup ground coconut
1 tsp. baking powder
6 oz. cream cheese
cup softened butter
1 cup sweetener
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon juice
7 eggs

1 small box raspberry or strawberry jello
1 cup hot water
1 cup ice cold water

1 cups heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla
4 tsp. sweetener
Raspberries or strawberries, optional
Mix first 3 ingredients together. Beat together next 3 ingredients. Add lemon juice and vanilla. Mix in eggs one at a time. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat again for 30 seconds. Gradually incorporate dry ingredients. Beat for 30 seconds. Place in a 9 x 13 greased pan. Smack cake pan down a couple of times. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.
Mix together Jello and hot water. Mix until dissolved. Add cold water. Put into fridge until the outside edges start to set, but the inside is liquidy.
Poke the cake with a skewer every half inch or so. Pour Jello mixture of the top of the cake. Beat cream with vanilla and sweetener. Put over the cake. Dot cake with berry slices. Chill for 2-3 hours.

CarolynF 07-23-2011 02:23 PM

I need to watch this video...There is a big difference between ground coconut and coconut flour methinks..:)

Here is the definition of coconut flour: Coconut flour is made from finely ground coconut meat with most of the moisture and fat removed.

However, when Ken ground his coconut, the moisture and fat didn't leave..:)

LindaSue 07-23-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 14852411)
I need to watch this video...There is a big difference between ground coconut and coconut flour methinks..:)

Here is the definition of coconut flour: Coconut flour is made from finely ground coconut meat with most of the moisture and fat removed.

However, when Ken ground his coconut, the moisture and fat didn't leave..:)

I suspect that's why his cake came out so moist. I think if he'd used commercial coconut flour, it would have been kind of dry.

CarolynF 07-23-2011 05:27 PM

Right Linda Sue..I can certainly grind some coconut in my Bullet..:)

Barbo 07-23-2011 07:39 PM

Linda Sue's question to Kent
 
regarding coconut flour. I think Kent should have shown us what
kind of coconut he ground and how much he used to get .75 or
3/4 c. I have all sorts of coconut on hand and it's all dry. Fine,
Macaroon, regular dry. It would be best to demonstrate the
coconut grinding part of the recipe for those of us who have
never used anything but the Angel sweet sugary coconut.
This would be much appreciated.

KOO 07-23-2011 07:43 PM

Subscribing because that looks awesome! Jello Cake is a favorite in my family so I will be trying this after I get through my HCG round.

Speck333 07-23-2011 08:32 PM

holy moly...

bowulf 07-23-2011 10:03 PM

I was not aware of the difference between commercial coconut flour and my home-ground coconut flour or ground coconut if you please. I am using dessicated or raw coconut when I grind at home, so most of the moisture has been removed from mine. I use coconut flour in my pound cake recipe as it keeps it lighter than using straight almond flour.

Quote:

It would be best to demonstrate the coconut grinding part of the recipe for those of us who have never used anything but the Angel sweet sugary coconut.
I actually have a video where I do do that. Check out at 1:43 of this video for more information.

bowulf 07-23-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 14851968)
Also, did you say that you ground your own coconut in your coffee grinder? If so, then I suppose that commercial coconut flour wouldn't be suitable for this recipe since it's de-fatted, right? How many ounces of coconut did you need to use to get 3/4 cup of "flour"?

Yes, I did grind my own "flour" or ground coconut in my coffee grinder. (I was not aware of the difference between almond flour and coconut flour -- about 95% of the time I grind my own (almond and coconut) simply because of readiness of supplies as opposed to having to buy specialized products.

As for how much, raw coconut went to get 3/4 cup. Good question, I ground a whole 5 oz bag, and had partial sandwich ziploc bag leftover of ground coconut. If I had to guess, it would have been about 3 oz.

Seabreezes 07-23-2011 11:18 PM

Looks yummy. Thanks for all the time you put into your recipes.

rosethorns 07-24-2011 05:12 AM

That looks delicous. I use to make this for my kids. TY

jerikay 07-24-2011 08:00 AM

This looks delish- Can't wait to make it!

LindaSue 07-24-2011 08:00 AM

I've got part of a bag of unsweetened coconut so I'm going to weigh it and grind it into flour. I'll then compare that with the commercial coconut flour that I have.

I've never tried making my own almond flour because I never see blanched almonds around here except for little bags of slivered ones. I've tried using unblanched almond flour and didn't care for the bitter taste of the skins in it or the dark color in my baked goods.

LindaSue 07-24-2011 08:41 AM

It turns out that there is a huge difference between home-ground unsweetened coconut and commercial coconut flour. I used Kroger brand unsweetened coconut for my experiment and it felt very dry and brittle before grinding it. After grinding it, it almost feels wet. It's very moist so I can see why it would be nice to use in a cake recipe. In comparison, the commercial coconut flour (Aloha Nu brand) is VERY dry. The consistency is like talcum powder. The home-ground coconut flour is similar to almond flour in texture but finer, not as gritty and lighter but nothing like commercial coconut flour.

Unlike almond flour where you end up with more bulk after grinding the nuts, you end up with less bulk after grinding coconut. Here's what I got:

1 ounce unsweetened coconut = 1/2 cup before grinding = Yield: approx. 1/3 cup coconut flour

2 1/2 ounces unsweetened coconut = 1 1/4 cups before grinding = Yield: approx. 3/4 cup coconut flour

Here are the carb comparisons:

1 ounce commercial coconut flour (Aloha Nu): 126 Calories; 4g Fat (30.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

1 ounce unsweetened coconut: 264 Calories; 26g Fat (86.3% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

As you can see, it's a much better deal carb-wise to grind your own coconut flour. Home ground coconut flour has more than six times the amount of fat in it as commercial coconut flour.

Although I've got a few good recipes that call for the commercial coconut flour, I think I'm going to start grinding my own for any new cake and cookie recipes that I try. I'm not all that keen on the weird dry texture that the commercial kind gives to baked goods.

bowulf 07-24-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 14853567)
I've never tried making my own almond flour because I never see blanched almonds around here except for little bags of slivered ones. I've tried using unblanched almond flour and didn't care for the bitter taste of the skins in it or the dark color in my baked goods.

That is ironically most of what I have use -- the commercial ones I purchase from Trader Joe's are unblanched. This poke cake was made with that type, but like they say to each their own. When I make my own at home, I do use blanched or slivered almonds, but at my local grocer, a 10 oz bag of slivered almonds is only $4, which is still $6.40 per pound, but it's better than $12 for the small bags.

jfar 07-24-2011 10:54 AM

I made this cake with the following tweeks:

Instead of 1 cup of Splenda I used 1/2 cup of granulated Splenda and 1/2 cup of granulated xylitol. (I like my bakery really sweet)

I made my own almond flour using blanched, slivered almonds.

Instead of grinding my own coconut I used 1 cup of Bobs Red Mill coconut flour. The batter was VERY stiff so I added three fourths of a cup of Davincis sweeting syrup. Using plain water would probably give you the same results as the object was to add more moisture to make a thinner batter. I just took it out of the oven and cut myself a small piece before refrigerating the rest. It was very moist and so good. I can't wait to assemble the whole thing and eat it.

CarolynF 07-24-2011 12:18 PM

Thanks, Linda Sue for all the math you did for us..:)

Jfar..real coconut flour is like a sponge, literally..Very little moisture in it, so it really
takes lots more liquid to make it palatable..:) Glad you make a successful cake..:)

EveH 07-24-2011 12:29 PM

I am going to file this away for the Holidays. I am thinking I will use lemon jello with pineapple and coconut on top. You don't need much pineapple and a Pina Colada Cake sounds fun.:)

Yes, Many Blessings to Lindasue...she is my hero. I don't know what we would do without her recipes and the info on her site.:notwrthy:

jlatislaw 07-24-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveH (Post 14854175)
Yes, Many Blessings to Lindasue...she is my hero. I don't know what we would do without her recipes and the info on her site.:notwrthy:

I agree! LindaSue and Kevinpa have been the biggest influences to my low carb cooking. They've made life so much more interesting :clap:
Of course, there are many others who are valuable to this site - we're very lucky to have so many talented cooks here.

ShesSuperCool 07-24-2011 03:06 PM

Oh man! Just this spring I discovered the joys of the poke cake, but that was with Betty Crocker white cake and jello sugary gelatin. I bet this tastes even better! I am thinking . . . I have banana da vinci syrup and strawberry SF gelatin. I could add the syrup to coconut flour to make it moist and have a strawberry banana poke cake!

Oh my my my. . . I may have to wait for a holiday for this gem. I don't know if I could make it without eating the whole thing! I need to take it to a family affair and leave it after one or two servings! lol

Tilly 07-24-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 14853654)
It turns out that there is a huge difference between home-ground unsweetened coconut and commercial coconut flour. I used Kroger brand unsweetened coconut for my experiment and it felt very dry and brittle before grinding it. After grinding it, it almost feels wet. It's very moist so I can see why it would be nice to use in a cake recipe. In comparison, the commercial coconut flour (Aloha Nu brand) is VERY dry. The consistency is like talcum powder. The home-ground coconut flour is similar to almond flour in texture but finer, not as gritty and lighter but nothing like commercial coconut flour.

Unlike almond flour where you end up with more bulk after grinding the nuts, you end up with less bulk after grinding coconut. Here's what I got:

1 ounce unsweetened coconut = 1/2 cup before grinding = Yield: approx. 1/3 cup coconut flour

2 1/2 ounces unsweetened coconut = 1 1/4 cups before grinding = Yield: approx. 3/4 cup coconut flour

Here are the carb comparisons:

1 ounce commercial coconut flour (Aloha Nu): 126 Calories; 4g Fat (30.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

1 ounce unsweetened coconut: 264 Calories; 26g Fat (86.3% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

As you can see, it's a much better deal carb-wise to grind your own coconut flour. Home ground coconut flour has more than six times the amount of fat in it as commercial coconut flour.

Although I've got a few good recipes that call for the commercial coconut flour, I think I'm going to start grinding my own for any new cake and cookie recipes that I try. I'm not all that keen on the weird dry texture that the commercial kind gives to baked goods.

I had no idea you can get it from Kroger. I will have to look at ours. Been getting it in bulk from Whole Foods.

LindaSue 07-25-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 14855081)
I had no idea you can get it from Kroger. I will have to look at ours. Been getting it in bulk from Whole Foods.

My Kroger has it right there in the baking aisle next to the sweetened coconut. At least I hope they still do. I haven't bought any in a long time. Look closely because the label is almost the same as the sweetened. The colors on the label are just slightly different.

LindaSue 07-25-2011 07:15 AM

Kent, you would never guess that you made the cake in the photo with unblanched almond flour. It really does look white except for the pink bits. I've got tentative plans to try your recipe next week.

zipp2play 07-25-2011 09:12 AM

OH I am having a gathering on Friday at my house...I am sooo making this for the girls! Hopefully no one will know it is LC or GF!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:59 PM.