Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jacksmixedtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: going to school in NC
Posts: 3,511
Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Hard, crunchy crackers - tips?

Does anyone have a recipe for a cracker that has a hard "snap" to it, rather than a flaky tenderness? I've tried a few almond flour cracker recipes lately, and none of them have been super sturdy to hold up a heavy cream cheese dip, like those old flatbread white flour crackers I used to it.

These simple cheese crackers (just a slice of cheese baked into a lacy round) are the most firm kind I've come around. They taste a little too cheesy though for some dips, as yummy as they are.

Is it possible to make a very hard, crispy/crunchy neutral flavored cracker? Perhaps less egg or butter would reduce the fragility?
__________________
~Lauren

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Crisp Nutty Crackers http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ond-thins.html

Lauren, these work very well and they are quite hard. Keep them in a sealed tin at room temperature and they stay hard for quite a while.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!
 
chewiegand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 25,742
Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I have found when I bake the almond thins a lot longer at a lower temp, they stay crisp and hard for a long time. I keep them in a ziploc and they have lasted weeks for me. When I baked them according to the directions, they softened the next day for me.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
Gallery: cjack1
Have I got a deal for you....

Simply take a sheet of Joseph's Lavash bread, cut into desired shapes and sizes with a pizza cutter. Arrange pieces on a coated paper plate or parchment paper. Spray pieces with Pam, sprinkle with salt and microwave about 1 minute or until crisp after it cools. My microwave takes about 65 seconds, but it can vary.

These are very sturdy, yet thin. They have almost no flavor (like a regular cracker) if you don't add any seasonings and work perfectly with all kinds of dips when you just want to taste the dip and get a little crunch from the cracker. I like to cut mine into about 1 inch by 2 inch strips to use for dipping. These can also be baked in the oven, about 10 minutes or so at 350 on parchment.

Joseph's LC Pitas are good prepared this way, as well. It is also a very small investment, compared to some of the nut flour crackers. I get about 40 crackers per sheet of Lavash bread. The sheets are 8 net carbs and fifty cents per sheet.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I use almond meal (grind sliced almonds myself in a coffee grinder) so it is definitely a lot cheaper than almond flour. I do this out of necessity because I cannot buy almond flour locally. I used to use almond flour all the time in Canada. I miss being able to buy it locally.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,316
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Lauren, I found a recipe for crackers that turned out really good. Now I can't find the recipe.

I know it had almond flour, whey protein powder, parm cheese(green can) and water- no egg. There may have been oat fiber, I don't remember.

They are sturdy and stay crisp.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
Gallery: Karalou216
Hard, crunchy crackers - tips?

I cut up low carb tortillas and fry them until very light brown. Sprinkle with desired seasonings as soon as you get them out of the skillet.
Karalou216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,060
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Try this one, it has that "snap" you are looking for!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-crackers.html
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
These are super sturdy and definitely crunchy. They go great with my homemade Boursin cheese spread which is thick enough to break most kinds of low carb crisps. The recipe is basically the traditional Almond Thins but with sesame seeds added. What makes them more sturdy, and much simpler to make, is the method that my friend Nancy came up with. This is my all-time favorite low carb cracker and even my non-low carb friends love them.



SESAME ALMOND CRACKERS
3 ounces almond flour, 3/4 cup
2 teaspoons granular Splenda
1 egg white
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 teaspoons untoasted sesame seeds

Mix all of the ingredients well in a small bowl. Everything should be moist and the dough should hold together. Divide the dough into 4 pieces then divide each in 2 pieces and each of those into 3 very small pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place on a parchment-lined 12x17" baking sheet. Or, you can use a 1-teaspoon cookie scoop and skip the rolling into a ball step. Cover the balls with plastic wrap (you can use a small piece and move it around as needed) and take a baking powder can, that has about an 1/8" rim around the bottom, and press down firmly over each ball of dough. Be sure to press all the way down to the baking sheet. Peel off the plastic wrap and repeat until all the crackers have been shaped. Prick them with a fork. You may have to gently hold the crackers down with one hand while pricking so that the dough stays put.

Bake at 325║ for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. You want them nice and brown, but don't let them get too dark or they'll taste burnt. It's OK for the centers to be a bit lighter than the outer edges, but they should not be pale. Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze for longer storage.

Makes 20-24 crackers
Can be frozen

Per Cracker: 28 Calories; 2g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
EveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 2,669
Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Linda, do you think you can sub sunflower seeds for the sesame seeds in this. I just happen to have a big bag of those. Maybe, since they are bigger, they could be broken up in a chopper first? What do you think?
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveH View Post
Linda, do you think you can sub sunflower seeds for the sesame seeds in this. I just happen to have a big bag of those. Maybe, since they are bigger, they could be broken up in a chopper first? What do you think?
Eve, I'm pretty sure that I tried that once and didn't care for them. I love sunflower kernels on a salad or in my Coconutty Crunch but not in crackers for some reason. I don't think that I'd chop them. Go ahead and give them a try. You might like them even if I didn't.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
Gallery: cjack1
Jacksmixedtape.... the Joseph's Lavash bread and pitas are not gluten free, so you would not want those.

I believe that you could add a small amount of plain whey protein powder to the almond thin recipe to stiffen them up.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack1 View Post
Jacksmixedtape.... the Joseph's Lavash bread and pitas are not gluten free, so you would not want those.

I believe that you could add a small amount of plain whey protein powder to the almond thin recipe to stiffen them up.
I don't think you'd want them any stiffer than they already are. They make a very firm, hard cracker. Adding whey might make them crumbly since the only liquid is the egg white.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,116
Gallery: CreekWatcher
subscribing
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jacksmixedtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: going to school in NC
Posts: 3,511
Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Cjack - thanks for the suggestion! My mother would probably love those lavash bread crackers. I know she can tolerate gluten.

Jennifer - I knew you'd come through with a recipe! Thanks for link.

Drjolowcarb - I think I've seen the recipe you're talking about! Where do you buy unflavored whey? I haven't bought it in a long time, but it's popping up in more and more recipes. Methinks I need some for experiments. Thanks for letting me know those ingredients worked well in crackers for you.

beeb - Thanks! Checking out that thread.

LindaSue - Your crackers look AWESOME. Of course your site would have one! Printed it out along with Jennifer. I'll report back one I do the crunchiness test on those.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,316
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Lauren, I found the whey at Netrition; Isopure protein powder

If you run across that recipe, please post it here. I am so mad as it is the only one I have tried that stays crisp--still today , on the counter, in a container, they are crisp.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 07-20-2011 at 11:43 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,342
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Drjlocarb, is this the recipe? It's from Maria Emmerich's blog.
Crackers Maria
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup unflavored whey protein
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1-2 Tbs. water (just enough to hold the dough together)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift all the dry ingredients together. Slowly add in water, 1 Tbs. at a time until dough can hold a ball shape. Grease 2 pieces of parchment paper. Place 8 Tbs. dough onto greased parchment, top with the second piece of parchment (greased side down). Roll the dough using a rolling pin on top of the parchment. Roll until 1/16th inch-thick square. Remove the top piece of parchment. Place the bottom parchment (with the rolled out dough) onto a cookie sheet, repeat with remaining dough. Score the dough with a pizza cutter into 2 X 2 inch squares. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake 6 minutes, remove from oven and score the crackers with the pizza cutter again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to completely cool.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
millergirl1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,633
Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I have got to find some almond flour! These look great.
millergirl1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,316
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Drjlocarb, is this the recipe? It's from Maria Emmerich's blog.
Crackers Maria
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup unflavored whey protein
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1-2 Tbs. water (just enough to hold the dough together)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift all the dry ingredients together. Slowly add in water, 1 Tbs. at a time until dough can hold a ball shape. Grease 2 pieces of parchment paper. Place 8 Tbs. dough onto greased parchment, top with the second piece of parchment (greased side down). Roll the dough using a rolling pin on top of the parchment. Roll until 1/16th inch-thick square. Remove the top piece of parchment. Place the bottom parchment (with the rolled out dough) onto a cookie sheet, repeat with remaining dough. Score the dough with a pizza cutter into 2 X 2 inch squares. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake 6 minutes, remove from oven and score the crackers with the pizza cutter again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to completely cool.


That's the one!! Thank you , thank you!!

Soobee, You are the best.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Cjack - thanks for the suggestion! My mother would probably love those lavash bread crackers. I know she can tolerate gluten.

Jennifer - I knew you'd come through with a recipe! Thanks for link.

Drjolowcarb - I think I've seen the recipe you're talking about! Where do you buy unflavored whey? I haven't bought it in a long time, but it's popping up in more and more recipes. Methinks I need some for experiments. Thanks for letting me know those ingredients worked well in crackers for you.

beeb - Thanks! Checking out that thread.

LindaSue - Your crackers look AWESOME. Of course your site would have one! Printed it out along with Jennifer. I'll report back one I do the crunchiness test on those.

I get the unflavored whey at my local Vitamin Shoppe. And watch their web site as it goes on sale sometimes. Last time I bought 3 containers and saved quite a bit.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SummerAnne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,759
Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
The only thing I've ever tried is cutting up the Josephs Lavash Wraps and baking after spraying with pam & sprinkling sea salt. I use them for hummus and they hold up great.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack1 View Post
Have I got a deal for you....

Simply take a sheet of Joseph's Lavash bread, cut into desired shapes and sizes with a pizza cutter. Arrange pieces on a coated paper plate or parchment paper. Spray pieces with Pam, sprinkle with salt and microwave about 1 minute or until crisp after it cools. My microwave takes about 65 seconds, but it can vary.

These are very sturdy, yet thin. They have almost no flavor (like a regular cracker) if you don't add any seasonings and work perfectly with all kinds of dips when you just want to taste the dip and get a little crunch from the cracker. I like to cut mine into about 1 inch by 2 inch strips to use for dipping. These can also be baked in the oven, about 10 minutes or so at 350 on parchment.

Joseph's LC Pitas are good prepared this way, as well. It is also a very small investment, compared to some of the nut flour crackers. I get about 40 crackers per sheet of Lavash bread. The sheets are 8 net carbs and fifty cents per sheet.
Thanks for letting me know about the microwave idea. I put the Lavash in the toaster oven and always burn them, yuck.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #23
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,060
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
If you can take the wheat gluten in Jennifer's bake mix that is in my recipe I am going to HIGHLY suggest you try my recipe. You will NOT be disappointed with the crunchy "snap" you are looking for, I promise!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends« is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.