Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Hard, crunchy crackers - tips? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/727999-hard-crunchy-crackers-tips.html)

jacksmixedtape 07-12-2011 09:34 AM

Hard, crunchy crackers - tips?
 
Does anyone have a recipe for a cracker that has a hard "snap" to it, rather than a flaky tenderness? I've tried a few almond flour cracker recipes lately, and none of them have been super sturdy to hold up a heavy cream cheese dip, like those old flatbread white flour crackers I used to it.

These simple cheese crackers (just a slice of cheese baked into a lacy round) are the most firm kind I've come around. They taste a little too cheesy though for some dips, as yummy as they are. :D

Is it possible to make a very hard, crispy/crunchy neutral flavored cracker? Perhaps less egg or butter would reduce the fragility?

Jennifer Eloff 07-12-2011 09:59 AM

Crisp Nutty Crackers http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ond-thins.html

Lauren, these work very well and they are quite hard. Keep them in a sealed tin at room temperature and they stay hard for quite a while. :)

chewiegand 07-12-2011 10:17 AM

I have found when I bake the almond thins a lot longer at a lower temp, they stay crisp and hard for a long time. I keep them in a ziploc and they have lasted weeks for me. When I baked them according to the directions, they softened the next day for me.

cjack1 07-12-2011 10:27 AM

Have I got a deal for you.... :)

Simply take a sheet of Joseph's Lavash bread, cut into desired shapes and sizes with a pizza cutter. Arrange pieces on a coated paper plate or parchment paper. Spray pieces with Pam, sprinkle with salt and microwave about 1 minute or until crisp after it cools. My microwave takes about 65 seconds, but it can vary.

These are very sturdy, yet thin. They have almost no flavor (like a regular cracker) if you don't add any seasonings and work perfectly with all kinds of dips when you just want to taste the dip and get a little crunch from the cracker. I like to cut mine into about 1 inch by 2 inch strips to use for dipping. These can also be baked in the oven, about 10 minutes or so at 350 on parchment.

Joseph's LC Pitas are good prepared this way, as well. It is also a very small investment, compared to some of the nut flour crackers. I get about 40 crackers per sheet of Lavash bread. The sheets are 8 net carbs and fifty cents per sheet.

Jennifer Eloff 07-12-2011 10:43 AM

I use almond meal (grind sliced almonds myself in a coffee grinder) so it is definitely a lot cheaper than almond flour. I do this out of necessity because I cannot buy almond flour locally. I used to use almond flour all the time in Canada. I miss being able to buy it locally.

drjlocarb 07-12-2011 11:17 AM

Lauren, I found a recipe for crackers that turned out really good. Now I can't find the recipe. :annoyed:

I know it had almond flour, whey protein powder, parm cheese(green can) and water- no egg. There may have been oat fiber, I don't remember.

They are sturdy and stay crisp.

Karalou216 07-12-2011 01:24 PM

Hard, crunchy crackers - tips?
 
I cut up low carb tortillas and fry them until very light brown. Sprinkle with desired seasonings as soon as you get them out of the skillet.

Beeb 07-12-2011 07:40 PM

Try this one, it has that "snap" you are looking for!! ;):cool:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-crackers.html

LindaSue 07-13-2011 06:25 AM

These are super sturdy and definitely crunchy. They go great with my homemade Boursin cheese spread which is thick enough to break most kinds of low carb crisps. The recipe is basically the traditional Almond Thins but with sesame seeds added. What makes them more sturdy, and much simpler to make, is the method that my friend Nancy came up with. This is my all-time favorite low carb cracker and even my non-low carb friends love them.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...mond_thins.jpg

SESAME ALMOND CRACKERS
3 ounces almond flour, 3/4 cup
2 teaspoons granular Splenda
1 egg white
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 teaspoons untoasted sesame seeds

Mix all of the ingredients well in a small bowl. Everything should be moist and the dough should hold together. Divide the dough into 4 pieces then divide each in 2 pieces and each of those into 3 very small pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place on a parchment-lined 12x17" baking sheet. Or, you can use a 1-teaspoon cookie scoop and skip the rolling into a ball step. Cover the balls with plastic wrap (you can use a small piece and move it around as needed) and take a baking powder can, that has about an 1/8" rim around the bottom, and press down firmly over each ball of dough. Be sure to press all the way down to the baking sheet. Peel off the plastic wrap and repeat until all the crackers have been shaped. Prick them with a fork. You may have to gently hold the crackers down with one hand while pricking so that the dough stays put.

Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. You want them nice and brown, but don't let them get too dark or they'll taste burnt. It's OK for the centers to be a bit lighter than the outer edges, but they should not be pale. Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze for longer storage.

Makes 20-24 crackers
Can be frozen

Per Cracker: 28 Calories; 2g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs

EveH 07-13-2011 03:59 PM

Linda, do you think you can sub sunflower seeds for the sesame seeds in this. I just happen to have a big bag of those. Maybe, since they are bigger, they could be broken up in a chopper first? What do you think?

LindaSue 07-14-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveH (Post 14824358)
Linda, do you think you can sub sunflower seeds for the sesame seeds in this. I just happen to have a big bag of those. Maybe, since they are bigger, they could be broken up in a chopper first? What do you think?

Eve, I'm pretty sure that I tried that once and didn't care for them. I love sunflower kernels on a salad or in my Coconutty Crunch but not in crackers for some reason. I don't think that I'd chop them. Go ahead and give them a try. You might like them even if I didn't.

cjack1 07-14-2011 12:17 PM

Jacksmixedtape.... the Joseph's Lavash bread and pitas are not gluten free, so you would not want those.

I believe that you could add a small amount of plain whey protein powder to the almond thin recipe to stiffen them up.

LindaSue 07-14-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjack1 (Post 14826805)
Jacksmixedtape.... the Joseph's Lavash bread and pitas are not gluten free, so you would not want those.

I believe that you could add a small amount of plain whey protein powder to the almond thin recipe to stiffen them up.

I don't think you'd want them any stiffer than they already are. They make a very firm, hard cracker. Adding whey might make them crumbly since the only liquid is the egg white.

CreekWatcher 07-14-2011 11:31 PM

subscribing

jacksmixedtape 07-20-2011 10:12 AM

Cjack - thanks for the suggestion! My mother would probably love those lavash bread crackers. I know she can tolerate gluten. ;)

Jennifer - I knew you'd come through with a recipe! Thanks for link. :D

Drjolowcarb - I think I've seen the recipe you're talking about! Where do you buy unflavored whey? I haven't bought it in a long time, but it's popping up in more and more recipes. Methinks I need some for experiments. Thanks for letting me know those ingredients worked well in crackers for you.

beeb - Thanks! Checking out that thread. :)

LindaSue - Your crackers look AWESOME. Of course your site would have one! Printed it out along with Jennifer. I'll report back one I do the crunchiness test on those. :D

drjlocarb 07-20-2011 11:40 AM

Lauren, I found the whey at Netrition; Isopure protein powder

If you run across that recipe, please post it here. I am so mad as it is the only one I have tried that stays crisp--still today , on the counter, in a container, they are crisp.

Soobee 07-20-2011 03:20 PM

Drjlocarb, is this the recipe? It's from Maria Emmerich's blog.
Crackers Maria
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup unflavored whey protein
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1-2 Tbs. water (just enough to hold the dough together)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift all the dry ingredients together. Slowly add in water, 1 Tbs. at a time until dough can hold a ball shape. Grease 2 pieces of parchment paper. Place 8 Tbs. dough onto greased parchment, top with the second piece of parchment (greased side down). Roll the dough using a rolling pin on top of the parchment. Roll until 1/16th inch-thick square. Remove the top piece of parchment. Place the bottom parchment (with the rolled out dough) onto a cookie sheet, repeat with remaining dough. Score the dough with a pizza cutter into 2 X 2 inch squares. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake 6 minutes, remove from oven and score the crackers with the pizza cutter again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to completely cool.

millergirl1976 07-20-2011 04:33 PM

I have got to find some almond flour! These look great.

drjlocarb 07-21-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 14844474)
Drjlocarb, is this the recipe? It's from Maria Emmerich's blog.
Crackers Maria
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup unflavored whey protein
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1-2 Tbs. water (just enough to hold the dough together)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift all the dry ingredients together. Slowly add in water, 1 Tbs. at a time until dough can hold a ball shape. Grease 2 pieces of parchment paper. Place 8 Tbs. dough onto greased parchment, top with the second piece of parchment (greased side down). Roll the dough using a rolling pin on top of the parchment. Roll until 1/16th inch-thick square. Remove the top piece of parchment. Place the bottom parchment (with the rolled out dough) onto a cookie sheet, repeat with remaining dough. Score the dough with a pizza cutter into 2 X 2 inch squares. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake 6 minutes, remove from oven and score the crackers with the pizza cutter again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to completely cool.



That's the one!! :notwrthy: Thank you , thank you!!

Soobee, You are the best. :up:

Tilly 07-21-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape (Post 14843558)
Cjack - thanks for the suggestion! My mother would probably love those lavash bread crackers. I know she can tolerate gluten. ;)

Jennifer - I knew you'd come through with a recipe! Thanks for link. :D

Drjolowcarb - I think I've seen the recipe you're talking about! Where do you buy unflavored whey? I haven't bought it in a long time, but it's popping up in more and more recipes. Methinks I need some for experiments. Thanks for letting me know those ingredients worked well in crackers for you.

beeb - Thanks! Checking out that thread. :)

LindaSue - Your crackers look AWESOME. Of course your site would have one! Printed it out along with Jennifer. I'll report back one I do the crunchiness test on those. :D


I get the unflavored whey at my local Vitamin Shoppe. And watch their web site as it goes on sale sometimes. Last time I bought 3 containers and saved quite a bit.

SummerAnne 07-21-2011 07:37 PM

The only thing I've ever tried is cutting up the Josephs Lavash Wraps and baking after spraying with pam & sprinkling sea salt. I use them for hummus and they hold up great.

Tilly 07-22-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjack1 (Post 14820459)
Have I got a deal for you.... :)

Simply take a sheet of Joseph's Lavash bread, cut into desired shapes and sizes with a pizza cutter. Arrange pieces on a coated paper plate or parchment paper. Spray pieces with Pam, sprinkle with salt and microwave about 1 minute or until crisp after it cools. My microwave takes about 65 seconds, but it can vary.

These are very sturdy, yet thin. They have almost no flavor (like a regular cracker) if you don't add any seasonings and work perfectly with all kinds of dips when you just want to taste the dip and get a little crunch from the cracker. I like to cut mine into about 1 inch by 2 inch strips to use for dipping. These can also be baked in the oven, about 10 minutes or so at 350 on parchment.

Joseph's LC Pitas are good prepared this way, as well. It is also a very small investment, compared to some of the nut flour crackers. I get about 40 crackers per sheet of Lavash bread. The sheets are 8 net carbs and fifty cents per sheet.

Thanks for letting me know about the microwave idea. I put the Lavash in the toaster oven and always burn them, yuck. :stars:

Beeb 07-23-2011 06:51 AM

If you can take the wheat gluten in Jennifer's bake mix that is in my recipe I am going to HIGHLY suggest you try my recipe. You will NOT be disappointed with the crunchy "snap" you are looking for, I promise!!;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM.