Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Miss Gigl
Stats: 312/262/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 15, 2002
Indian Curry

I've been craving some curry lately and today I came up with something crazy good while experimenting! It's a lot of ingredients but really super simple.

Easy Curry
1 pound of your meat of choice -- I used pork but beef cubes, chicken, etc. will do fine cut into cubes
about 4 T. Rogan Josh Spice (I get mine from Penzys)
1 t. garam masala
1 t. turmeric
1 T. salt
1 t. fresh ground ginger
3 minced garlic cloves
half a can of coconut milk
half a cup of sour cream
half a cup of water
2T or so of coconut oil

In a dutch oven or stew pot, melt the coconut oil over medium high heat. While it heats up, sprinkle the meat pieces with rogan josh spice. Sear the meat in the coconut oil in batches and set aside. Drain off the excess coconut oil and then return the pan to the heat. Reduce heat to medium low and throw in the garlic and fresh ginger. Add 2 T. of the Rogan Josh spice (less if you like it less spicy) and turmeric. Let the spices toast for a minute or 2 then add the water to deglaze the pan. Mix in the coconut milk and sour cream, add the salt and return the meat to the pot. Cover and put on low for 1-2 hours depending on the type of meat (chicken and pork cook fast, lamb or beef may take a lot longer if tough).

I ate this over some cauli-rice and it was probably the best LC dish I ever made! Not sure on the carb counts yet but I'll plug them in to ****** and see what I get.

Would love to see people's tweeks to this. Lots of veggies you could add and variations on the meat. Enjoy!

Round 2:Had a couple of babies and now since 4/9/2011...312/262/180 - 50 pounds lost!

...FLYING ABOVE THE FOOD...
Miss Gigl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
My favorite ethnic foods - Indian!!!

Miss Gigl, I love Indian Food and have 3 good cookbooks on it. I have been avoiding it feeling bad that I cannot have rice or chapattis, breading etc.

Your post inspired me to cook Indian again. I could substitute regular rice for the cauliflower rice like you mentioned, and also sub the breading for coconut or almond flour. I'll copy your recipe to my e-mail and make it soon. One third of my spice cabinet is authentic Indian spices. Thanks so much!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
sounds yummy!
I love taking a jar of Rogan Josh, Jalfreezi, or some other curry sauce and adding some coconut milk! Greek yogurt would work well in place of the sour cream, too.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I never heard of Rogan Josh Spice but I get catalogs from Penzy's because I've ordered from them before. I popped over to Penzy's and ordered this and also Herbs de Providence which I love for chicken, eggs and pork & veggies for a Mediterranean hit.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi guys... Mmmm yeah, I didn't think of Greek yogurt. Definitely will try that next time! Hubby liked this one a lot too which is rare. He had some regular rice with his though. I actually thought the cauli-rice went better with it.

Let me know how it turns out for you!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda, isn't Penzy's great? We use their Herbes de Provence also and thats saying a lot because my husband is actually from Provence and I would hear about it if they were bad!

Another note on this recipe, you could use ghee (clarified butter) instead of the olive oil if you like.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I just realized...your recipe said spice mix, which I haven't bought.
I get Patak's jarred sauces.
Quick & easy!!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Gigl View Post
Another note on this recipe, you could use ghee (clarified butter) instead of the olive oil if you like.
Oh, DEFINITELY ghee instead of olive oil!
Or, coconut oil!!!
ETA--
No, wait...your recipe DID say coconut oil, not olive oil. Sorry!

PS--Penzey's looks awesome!
I am always trying to find good spices at good prices with reasonable shipping.
It's awesome that they have so many sizes available; usually your only choices are either an itty bitty jar or an entire pound!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-08-2011 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: ETA/PS
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My entire spice cabinet is Penzeys now and it's all great. I was in Tucson recently and they had just opened a big new store. Almost had to buy a new suitcase for the flight home!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda, isn't Penzy's great? We use their Herbes de Provence also and thats saying a lot because my husband is actually from Provence and I would hear about it if they were bad!

I make my own ghee and prefer it to regular butter. It's unsalted and I love the fact that it stands up to high heat like vegetable oil, not to mention it's tasty, healthy and natural. I like coconut oil too but the one I have now is tasteless. Some Indian recipes I have call for ghee for deep frying. I haven't tried that yet.

I wonder if I could switch out the rice w/cauliflower rice to make their rice pudding? I'm really getting creative now.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
I wonder if I could switch out the rice w/cauliflower rice to make their rice pudding? I'm really getting creative now.
Yes! I actually have an Indian cookbook with a cauliflower pudding!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Yes! I actually have an Indian cookbook with a cauliflower pudding!
I'm going to be in heaven!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
I've been craving some curry lately and today I came up with something crazy good while experimenting! It's a lot of ingredients but really super simple.

Easy Curry
1 pound of your meat of choice -- I used pork but beef cubes, chicken, etc. will do fine cut into cubes
about 4 T. Rogan Josh Spice (I get mine from Penzys)
1 t. garam masala
1 t. turmeric
1 T. salt
1 t. fresh ground ginger
3 minced garlic cloves
half a can of coconut milk
half a cup of sour cream
half a cup of water
2T or so of coconut oil

In a dutch oven or stew pot, melt the coconut oil over medium high heat. While it heats up, sprinkle the meat pieces with rogan josh spice. Sear the meat in the coconut oil in batches and set aside. Drain off the excess coconut oil and then return the pan to the heat. Reduce heat to medium low and throw in the garlic and fresh ginger. Add 2 T. of the Rogan Josh spice (less if you like it less spicy) and turmeric. Let the spices toast for a minute or 2 then add the water to deglaze the pan. Mix in the coconut milk and sour cream, add the salt and return the meat to the pot. Cover and put on low for 1-2 hours depending on the type of meat (chicken and pork cook fast, lamb or beef may take a lot longer if tough).

I ate this over some cauli-rice and it was probably the best LC dish I ever made! Not sure on the carb counts yet but I'll plug them in to ****** and see what I get.

Would love to see people's tweeks to this. Lots of veggies you could add and variations on the meat. Enjoy!

Wow, this sounds wonderful. I may add some yogurt to this. And funny I just bought some garam masala for Charski's Butternut Indian Squash soup. And now that it is summer, I have no desire for soup. On my list for next fall!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't find my book at the moment...
But since cooked cauliflower won't absorb as much liquid/milk as cooked rice,
you might be better off looking for a "carrot halwah" recipe to tweak.
I think you could also use zucchini.
And if you needed to thicken it up, coconut flour or almond meal would probably go very well with all the other flavors! yummmmmm.....
Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Garam masala is one of my favorite Indian spices, and of course they're all different. I found one I love from Nuts Online. I love to make the butter chicken recipe on this board with it. MMMMM.

My other favorite thing is Patak's vindaloo paste. DH asks for vindaloo somewhat often - have made it with pork, chicken, lamb...we like ours over quinoa.

Miss Gigi, this sounds very tasty, will have to give it a try! Thanks!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I can't find my book at the moment...
But since cooked cauliflower won't absorb as much liquid/milk as cooked rice,
you might be better off looking for a "carrot halwah" recipe to tweak.
I think you could also use zucchini.
And if you needed to thicken it up, coconut flour or almond meal would probably go very well with all the other flavors! yummmmmm.....
I have to dig out my cookbook and see about the rice pudding and how I can make it work. I use Xanthum Gum to thicken sauces so that's a maybe.

I just googled the Carrot Halwah (looks divine) but of course no carrots for me. Below is a copy and paste of one of the recipes. I think the cauliflower or zucchini would work on this. I would sub out the higher carb cashews for lower carb skinless almonds (roast them first), use a sugar substitute and coconut milk instead of regular milk and sprinkle some unsweetened coconut flakes for texture. Here it is:

Gajar (Carrot) Halwa also known as gajrala is a traditional Punjabi dessert made with carrots and milk. Gajar Halwa is delicious warm or cold.

Recipe serves 4

Gajar Ka Halwa

Ingredients:

2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
6 chopped roasted cashew nuts (To garnish)

Method:

Roast the cashew nuts and set aside for the garnish.
Boil the milk on medium-high heat in a non-stick pan until it is reduced to about to 1 cup. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
Add the shredded carrots and stir-fry for about seven to eight minutes.
Carrots should be tender and slightly changed in color.
Add the milk and cook until the milk dries. This will take about eight to ten minutes.
Next add the sugar, and cardamom powder and stir-fry for another three to four minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of frying pan.
Garnish with cashew nuts.

Tips:

Gajar Halwa can be refrigerated for up to one week and kept in the freezer for up to two months. When ready to serve just warm.

Suggestion:

Cook the halwa a little more and pour on a greased plate. Spread the halwa until it is flat and 3/4 inch thick. After the halwa cools, cut in squares. Garnish with cashew nuts or sliced almonds.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:37 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Garam masala is one of my favorite Indian spices, and of course they're all different. I found one I love from Nuts Online. I love to make the butter chicken recipe on this board with it. MMMMM.

My other favorite thing is Patak's vindaloo paste. DH asks for vindaloo somewhat often - have made it with pork, chicken, lamb...we like ours over quinoa.

Miss Gigi, this sounds very tasty, will have to give it a try! Thanks!
Yup, I also purchaed the vindaloo paste at our local Indian store. Now I have to meet with a Indian friend of mine. She has offered to give me some ideas on how to use them other than what is here. Can't wait to try all of them. And oh my goodness, the smells from this food is to die for!!!! Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Yup, I also purchaed the vindaloo paste at our local Indian store. Now I have to meet with a Indian friend of mine. She has offered to give me some ideas on how to use them other than what is here. Can't wait to try all of them. And oh my goodness, the smells from this food is to die for!!!! Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!
Talk about aromas! When I cook it at home, it's like I'm in India. My husband (fussy as he is) loves Indian Food as long as I don't make it too hot but he is a aroma-phobic. He thinks that the molecules float in the air and settle into carpets and furniture forever. Then goes all air cleaners, open windows, 2 exhaust fans and sometimes the front door is wide open. I feel like I have tinnitus while I"m cooking with all that buzzing. But when I bake him his sweet treats, he has a different opinion all together -no problem with that. I tell him this is a show of unconditional love from a dieter. How many dieters would spend hours in the kitchen to bake cookies and cakes and not eat them. He should be so lucky.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You guys are awesome. I'm definitely going to make that carrot recipe for my daughters, they would love that!

If you want to make a good rice pudding there's one out there that uses shirataki noodles cut up into rice-sized pieces (or I think you can buy shirataki rice). I haven't tried it yet but it would go sooo well with spicy curry!

I'm also planning to play around with my (Hawaiian) grandmother's recipe for coconut pudding (haupia) in the near future. My first experiment on that with xanthan gum didn't go so well. With plain gelatin is next! That would go well with curry too.

yuuuuuum!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I don't think I would have survived LC if it wasn't for Indian food. Indian is a staple in my house, most meat dishes are low carb friendly by skipping any potatoes.
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My first experiment on that with xanthan gum didn't go so well.
The key to perfect consistency with Xanthan gum is to stop sprinking it "before" you think it's thick. Otherwise, it's gelatinous. I have "Thicken-Thin Not Starch" too buried in my pantry but it doesn't seem to thicken much.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
here's a link to an Indian cauliflower pudding recipe. It has varied inconveniences (raisens, saffron)...I wonder if it could be thickened suitably with carbalose instead of chickpea flower:

http://en.petitchef.comen.petitchef....ing-fid-416506
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
here's a link to an Indian cauliflower pudding recipe. It has varied inconveniences (raisens, saffron)...I wonder if it could be thickened suitably with carbalose instead of chickpea flower:

Eggless Indian Custard, Cauliflower Walnut Cream & Rizogalo (Greek Rice Pudding) - T&T from A Life(Time) Cooking, Recipe Eggless Indian Custard, Cauliflower Walnut Cream & Rizogalo (Greek Rice Pudding) - T&T from A Life(Time) Cooking

I couldn't find the Cauliflower Pudding recipe. Is the one below what you meant?

Eggless Indian Custard:

1cup Milk

1tbsp Chickpeas flour

2tbsp Grated Jaggery

1tbsp Ghee

Few cashew nuts

Few raisins

1/4tsp Cardamom powder

Few saffron strands

Let the saffron strands stands for few minutes in few tbsp of milk, heat the ghee and fry the cashewnuts and raisins until they turns golden brown..add the chickpeas flour to the same ghee and roast until the aroma comes out..add the saffron strands to the milk to the roasted chickpeas flour along with grated jaggery and cardamom powder, stir continously until the mixture turns as custard, finally add the fried cashewnuts and raisins, serve!!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
whups! I somehow got the top recipe from this link and the one below it confused; neither one is a cauliflower pudding...thanks Linda.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
whups! I somehow got the top recipe from this link and the one below it confused; neither one is a cauliflower pudding...thanks Linda.
No problem. Neat website though!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Miss Gigi:

I just wanted to let you know that I got my Rogan Josh spice from Penzey's and love it.

I tried your recipe and it was delicious (even by the non-Atkineers). Thanks so much for posting this. Any other favorites of yours would be appreciated too!