Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Its me - WENDALINA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 950
WOE: Healthy Low Carb
homemade bbq sauce?

I have seen a lot of recipes to make your own bbq sauce without all the sugar, but I was wondering which is best?
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,375
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This is our favorite one:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post9741066
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Phos4us's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 392
Gallery: Phos4us
Stats: I'm trying to give up the scale! 5'11"/41 yrs
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: May 25, 2011
I recently made Bobby Flay's Carolina style Sauce with some low carb adaptations and it turned out quite yummy.

Carolina Style BBQ Sauce:

1/4 cup oil of choice
1/4 cup of onions, very finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 cup no sugar added ketchup
1 cup of chopped tomatoes
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2/3 cup Dijon mustard
2/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
1/4 cup brown ideal
2 tablespoons xylitol honey (it['s what I had but any kind of sf syrup would probably do too)
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the ketchup and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cool for about 5 minutes.

Carefully transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then pour into a bowl and allow to cool at room temperature. Sauce will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator, stored in a tightly sealed container.

Forgot to add the carb count.

With my ingredients (depends on chillies, ketchup, sweetener etc) it came to 0.74 net carbs per tbsp. So just below 3g of net carbs per 1/4 of a cup.
__________________
Birgit

“How does one become a butterfly? You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” ~Trina Paulus

"The thing that is really hard - and really amazing - is giving up on being perfect, and beginning the true work of becoming yourself." ~Anna Quindlen


Daily Bytes Recipe Blog

Last edited by Phos4us; 07-05-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Phos4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Its me - WENDALINA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 950
WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
whats browning sauce?
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,348
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Kitchen Bouquet or something like it.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
theredhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 2,559
Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I'm picky about sauce, and this one tastes great to me. I add a little more liquid smoke, and increase the spices just a tad, but this is the basic:

Adriana's Low Carb BBQ Sauce
I've tried several different brands of BBQ sauce since starting low carb and while there have been several that have been quite good, this homemade one totally rocks! Use it on chicken, baby back ribs, or like I did on brisket. It's really really good and although the ingredients sound a bit strange, I promise it tastes amazing!

1 cup Heinz reduced sugar ketchup

1 cup Diet Rite or another Diet soda that is sweetened with Splenda. (It has to be sweetened with Splenda or it'll turn out bitter because of the aspartame in other sodas.)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp chili powder (or more if you like it spicy)

1 tsp yellow mustard

1/2 tsp liquid smoke

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp Worsterschire sauce

black pepper to taste



Directions:

1. In a medium bowl wisk all ingredients together until smooth.
2. In a medium saucepan simmer sauce on medium low heat for 15 minutes. It will reduce and become thicker.


*** I didn't use any extra sweetener because the ketchup and the diet rite are sweetened with Splenda and that's plenty sweet for a BBQ sauce.


You will get 8 servings at 1/4 cup each.

Net carbs per serving: 2.43
__________________
Laurie
5'7" female, 56 yo
DH has lost 90 pounds
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I recently used up my last bottle of KC Masterpiece so I had to come up with a homemade BBQ sauce to use instead. I'm really happy with this recipe. The secret ingredient is the celery seed. That gave it the same flavor that commercial sauces have that was missing from my first version. Also, the last time I made some I simmered it for a whole hour and I also added 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum which I'd blended with 1/2 teaspoon of oil. I think that helped make the sauce smoother. I may tweak the sweetener a bit next time. I like sweet BBQ sauce but it's almost too sweet. Start with about 1/3 cup worth of Splenda and adjust it to your taste.

SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Whisk everything together in a medium pot. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Makes 2 cups

With granular Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 17 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 34 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 14 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
cindy lolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vista, California
Posts: 302
Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II
I love this sauce. Last time I made it, I froze the leftovers in an ice cube tray (which is a trick I learned on this forum, or maybe even from you, Linda). One tablespoon of sauce per ice cube because my tray has baby cubes.

Anyway, yayyyyy for LindaSue!
cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
dianafoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern US
Posts: 1,201
Gallery: dianafoot
My barbecue sauce is almost identical to Linda Sue's, but I use only 1 tsp molasses (I find that's enough to give it that authentic brown sugar flavor), and instead of smoke flavoring, a "kicker" that I found on another string: brown a couple of slices of bacon, then saute some finely chopped onion in a little of the bacon grease. Use the onion and crumbled bacon to start the sauce. After that, on to the tomato paste or lc catsup and other ingredients. Cooking it down is the key to blending the flavors and making a thick, rich bbq sauce.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
The Chicken Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,180
Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
This is a recipe for the BBQ sauce that is used at the Pineapple Willy's Restaurant, Panama City Beach, FL. It was voted best in the nation by the National BBQ Association and posted on the web years ago and I love it. This is a low carb version and I really can't tell this from the high carb version.

Pineapple Willy's Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce Low Carbed

1 Onion, minced
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 stick butter
3/4 cup Jack Daniel's Whiskey
2- 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
The juice of two lemons
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup Splenda
2 tablespoons Black Strap Molasses
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1-1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 small can Tomato Paste
1/2 bottle Liquid Smoke
2 teaspoon Tabasco or to taste

In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter and sauté' onion and garlic until they are translucent, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add Jack Daniel's Whiskey light mixture; flame for 20 seconds. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, and then turn down to a medium simmer. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Blend with a stick blender for a smoother sauce. Cool and enjoy.

NOTE: This sauce gets better with age. If time permits, keep it in the refrigerator a day or so to develop a deeper, richer taste.
-----
__________________
Courage doesn't always Roar - Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of day saying I will try again tomorrow.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I've noticed that some BBQ sauce recipes call for butter. Does anyone know what this does for it? I didn't purposely make my recipe low fat and I wonder if adding some would improve it in some way. I did add 1/2 teaspoon of oil along with the xanthan gum but I doubt if that was enough to affect the consistency. This batch did seem to come out smoother though but I don't know if that's because of the xanthan gum, the oil, the longer cooking time or all three things.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Speck333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,186
Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Wendalina, I like this one http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...er-tasted.html
But I use erythritol and a bit of liquid splenda for sweetening, and I do it by taste rather than the measurements the original recipe lists.

And, hey, I miss you on the dinner menu threads!

Last edited by Speck333; 07-06-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,374
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy lolz View Post
I love this sauce. Last time I made it, I froze the leftovers in an ice cube tray (which is a trick I learned on this forum, or maybe even from you, Linda). One tablespoon of sauce per ice cube because my tray has baby cubes.

Anyway, yayyyyy for LindaSue!
I agree Yea LindaSue. Going to try it but I usually use Bloodsugar101's but your sauce sounds great
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Phos4us's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 392
Gallery: Phos4us
Stats: I'm trying to give up the scale! 5'11"/41 yrs
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: May 25, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I've noticed that some BBQ sauce recipes call for butter. Does anyone know what this does for it? I didn't purposely make my recipe low fat and I wonder if adding some would improve it in some way. I did add 1/2 teaspoon of oil along with the xanthan gum but I doubt if that was enough to affect the consistency. This batch did seem to come out smoother though but I don't know if that's because of the xanthan gum, the oil, the longer cooking time or all three things.
The butter usually gives it a more rounded out mouth feel, for lack of a better description. Butter also cuts the acidity of the tomato. Tomato and butter go exceptionally well together when cooked. Some of the best tomato sauces consist of little more than a lot of butter and some tomatoes with simple seasonings.

Having said that, I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference in something as complex as a bbq sauce since there is a LOT going on already. It might do something for the mouth feel, but I doubt it would do much. For tomato sauce however - butter is the way to go!

Last edited by Phos4us; 07-06-2011 at 04:00 PM..
Phos4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Thanks, Birgit. Maybe I'll try adding a couple tablespoons of butter in my next batch and see what happens. I don't really want to add a whole stick of butter though. Butter is too expensive and I like that my BBQ sauce recipe is cheap to make.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,504
Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
This is another vote for the one theredhead posted, with the DietRite. Only today I made it with root beer and now that's the way I'll always make it. Really good.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I recently used up my last bottle of KC Masterpiece so I had to come up with a homemade BBQ sauce to use instead. I'm really happy with this recipe. The secret ingredient is the celery seed. That gave it the same flavor that commercial sauces have that was missing from my first version. Also, the last time I made some I simmered it for a whole hour and I also added 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum which I'd blended with 1/2 teaspoon of oil. I think that helped make the sauce smoother. I may tweak the sweetener a bit next time. I like sweet BBQ sauce but it's almost too sweet. Start with about 1/3 cup worth of Splenda and adjust it to your taste.

SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Whisk everything together in a medium pot. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Makes 2 cups

With granular Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 17 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 34 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 14 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs

Thanks, finally I have found one that I actually have all of the ingredients.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I was just thinking some more about the butter thing. Would the butter harden in the fridge and give the sauce an odd consistency when it's cold?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,368
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Wendalina, I like this one http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...er-tasted.html
But I use erythritol and a bit of liquid splenda for sweetening, and I do it by taste rather than the measurements the original recipe lists.

And, hey, I miss you on the dinner menu threads!
This is the only bbq sauce I have ever tried to make and I didn't like it. It was really thin, lacking in flavor, and didn't taste bbq'yyy enough for me.

I may try LS or theredhead's post of bbq sauce looks good too.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Speck333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,186
Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Geeze, Ms. Woods, I think I'll have to make a batch of it and ship it to you 'cuz that sounds nothing like what I experienced with this sauce.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,368
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I made it exactly like the thread said?
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,504
Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I have to say I didn't like it either. At first I thought I was just expecting too much because of all the hype by people who loved it, so I made it again - still didn't like it. But I was able to use it by mixing it with mayo and a little splenda.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: whiterock, british columbia
Posts: 28
Gallery: hollyinpugland
WOE: atkins
Start Date: restart-july 7 2011
does anyone have a recipe for lo carb honey garlic sauce??? i miss that so much!!! is there such a thing as lo carb honey anywhere? and also, y is lo carb so big in the u.s. and not in canada? i have to order everything online, i was wondering if stores in the states just all carry lo carb stuff...? bellingham is about 40 mins away from me, so i cud always drive across the border and stock up, and gas up too, of course!
hollyinpugland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
This is the only bbq sauce I have ever tried to make and I didn't like it. It was really thin, lacking in flavor, and didn't taste bbq'yyy enough for me.
I just took a look at that recipe that Beeb got from Jenny's site and I can see that it wouldn't have nearly enough liquid smoke in it for my tastes. I found that it takes a LOT of it to make a really smoky tasting sauce which is how I like it.

I also noticed that the recipe calls for unseasoned canned tomato sauce. I've never seen such a thing. The closest thing would be canned tomato puree but I'm not sure how easy it is to find that. I do agree that whatever tomato product is used it shouldn't have any seasonings in it. I've played around with regular tomato sauce and ketchup and the spices didn't really work for me. They seemed out of place in BBQ sauce or at least in the kind of BBQ sauce that I like. I like very sweet, smoky BBQ sauce that tastes like the low carb KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce tasted.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,368
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I just took a look at that recipe that Beeb got from Jenny's site and I can see that it wouldn't have nearly enough liquid smoke in it for my tastes. I found that it takes a LOT of it to make a really smoky tasting sauce which is how I like it.

I also noticed that the recipe calls for unseasoned canned tomato sauce. I've never seen such a thing. The closest thing would be canned tomato puree but I'm not sure how easy it is to find that. I do agree that whatever tomato product is used it shouldn't have any seasonings in it. I've played around with regular tomato sauce and ketchup and the spices didn't really work for me. They seemed out of place in BBQ sauce or at least in the kind of BBQ sauce that I like. I like very sweet, smoky BBQ sauce that tastes like the low carb KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce tasted.
I figure it's a location thing, since bbq sauce varies so much by where we live, and since you are also from TX, I assume we are used to the same type of sauce. Which recipe that you have tried do you like the best? I have to go to the grocery store today and I need to try a new bbq recipe because we've been out of Smokin Joe Jones for a few weeks.

Also, I have never seen black strap molasses in my grocery store, would it be in the baking isle? Could I use brown sugar sub instead? I stocked up on it when they stopped making it so I have 4 bags of it at home.
__________________
My LC Blog-Low Carbin' Made Simple
Michelle

Last edited by MsWoods; 07-11-2011 at 07:35 AM..
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I figure it's a location thing, since bbq sauce varies so much by where we live, and since you are also from TX, I assume we are used to the same type of sauce. Which recipe that you have tried do you like the best? I have to go to the grocery store today and I need to try a new bbq recipe because we've been out of Smokin Joe Jones for a few weeks.

Also, I have never seen black strap molasses in my grocery store, would it be in the baking isle? Could I use brown sugar sub instead? I stocked up on it when they stopped making it so I have 4 bags of it at home.
I'm not originally from Texas so I guess sweet sauce must be popular in Michigan too. The SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II recipe that I posted here is my current favorite.

I've seen blackstrap molasses in the health food section of Kroger but I found mine several years ago at Randalls (also known as Tom Thumb in some parts of Texas) when they were closing the store near me. They had it with the regular molasses in the baking aisle there. I'm surprised that it's so hard to find blackstrap. Maybe it's too strong for most peoples' tastes or something. At least if you do find some it should last you a very long time. I've been working my way through my current bottle for quite a few years. I put it in a plastic squeeze bottle to make it easier to dispense small amounts.



I've never tried any of the brown sugar subs so I can't comment on them. The funny thing is that I don't even care for the flavor of regular molasses but I love the taste of dark brown sugar. To me, a tiny bit of blackstrap really mimics that flavor quite well. It even smells like brown sugar. Regular molasses has a totally different smell and taste.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,368
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Thank you LS.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,374
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Did you try the butter yet Linda?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,597
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Did you try the butter yet Linda?
No, I haven't made any more BBQ sauce yet. I've still got some left from the last batch to use up.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member
 
Its me - WENDALINA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 950
WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
And, hey, I miss you on the dinner menu threads!
hey! I have been doing menus, just forget to post... I will go right now and do that cause I miss the inspiration from yall too
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.