Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
sigh, why do HEWMONS complicate everything?

my bbq sauce consists of TWO ingredients: Walden Farms bbq sauce and chinese mustard...ratios ad lib to taste. Of course I can add stuff, but never felt the need. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #32

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Made your SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II LindaSue. I did however after making want it to have a bit of more of a kick so I added 3/4 tablespoon hot sauce a dash of cayenne pepper, and threw in after it was all simmered 2 tbl butter. (not sure if the butter added anything but it was just an addition)

Wow! I think that this may be what I have been looking for. I made BBQ chicken on the grill with the other sauce and thought it was missing something.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #33

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I'm glad you liked it, Skeeter.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I finally bought all the ingredients to make it (LS smoky bbq sauce II) and I will make it this weekend.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I recently used up my last bottle of KC Masterpiece so I had to come up with a homemade BBQ sauce to use instead. I'm really happy with this recipe. The secret ingredient is the celery seed. That gave it the same flavor that commercial sauces have that was missing from my first version. Also, the last time I made some I simmered it for a whole hour and I also added 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum which I'd blended with 1/2 teaspoon of oil. I think that helped make the sauce smoother. I may tweak the sweetener a bit next time. I like sweet BBQ sauce but it's almost too sweet. Start with about 1/3 cup worth of Splenda and adjust it to your taste.

SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Whisk everything together in a medium pot. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Makes 2 cups

With granular Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 17 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 34 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 14 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs
Linda, I just want to thank you for sharing this. I used it on chicken on our camping trip. I made it up ahead of time. It certainly improved in flavor after letting it blend. It was wonderful! My whole family loved it and asked for it again. I am still eating the leftovers.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #36

Thanks for the nice review, Tilly. I'm going to make a batch later today, if I have time, and see what a little butter does for it.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #37

I made a batch of my BBQ sauce and added 2 tablespoons of butter to it. I'm not sure if I can detect any difference because of the butter but I will try it again later after it has chilled for a while. At that time I will compare it with the previous batch. I've still got a little of that one left.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I made a batch of my BBQ sauce and added 2 tablespoons of butter to it. I'm not sure if I can detect any difference because of the butter but I will try it again later after it has chilled for a while. At that time I will compare it with the previous batch. I've still got a little of that one left.
Please let us know what you discover. Didn't think it needed improving!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #39

I really don't see any difference in the consistency with the butter added. I also think that adding butter might affect how long it will keep. I won't bother adding butter again.

I'm not positive about this but for some reason my older batch tastes slightly better than the new batch. Besides the butter the only other thing that was different was the vinegar. I used cider vinegar in the new batch (which is what the recipe calls for) but last time I accidentally used white vinegar which has a more neutral flavor. It's hard to say if that is what is making the difference in the flavor or if it's just because the older batch has had a chance to age in the fridge for a couple weeks. The color of the older batch is much darker too so I think that aging might have something to do with it. Next time I'll use white vinegar again and see what happens.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahMama
Stats: 6' tall
WOE: calorie cycling
Start Date: 1/15/98 low carb. 3/12/12 calorie cycling
I made shredded bbq chicken yesterday with your recipe Linda and it was delicious!!! Thanks!
UtahMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CareyP.
Stats: 308/298/262 (first goal)
WOE: Atkins - Family friendly
Start Date: 7/17/2011 - restart date
I just moved to Texas, and we found out that my husband is borderline diabetic and so we decided to do low carb no sugar. We have a bbq chain around San Antonio called Rudy's. They have a fantastic bbq sauce and I made a lower carb version of it...it tastes darn good!

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup LC ketchup
1/2 cup splenda
1 tsp black strap molasses
2 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Simmer until slightly reduced.

It was FANTASTIC! I had the real sauce in my fridge, and they tasted quite similar, even my nieces who don't low carb thought it was almost exact and liked it.
CareyP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowulf
Stats: 415/221/225
Start Date: April 1, 2004
I have always been favorable to mine - which I developed out of KC BBQ sauce recipe. You can do without the molasses if you choose.
bowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowulf View Post
I have always been favorable to mine - which I developed out of KC BBQ sauce recipe. You can do without the molasses if you choose.
Atkins Diet Recipes: Best Low Carb BBQ Sauce-YouTube
Do you have this typed out and can share?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

I finally made LS Smoky BBQ Sauce II, except I used 1-15oz can tomato sauce instead of 6oz of tomato paste. I thickened it up after simmering w/2 tsp of glucomannan powder and it turned into the same consistency of regular bbq sauce. I was out of liquid splenda so I used about 1/3 cup Diabetesweet brown sugar and no black strap molases. It was delicious. It made 1 mason jar, and 1 huge bottle of sauce, it was probably at least 4 cups worth. This is what I will be making from now on.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowulf
Stats: 415/221/225
Start Date: April 1, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Do you have this typed out and can share?
Ingredients
* 1 cup Low Carb Ketchup (either Heinz or Linda's "Better Than Heinz" Recipe - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes)
* 1 cup tomato sauce
* 1/2 cup Splenda or liquid equivalent (preferred)
* 1/2 cup vinegar
* 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
* 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
* 1 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* Dash of chili powder
* Dash ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Makes ~3 Cups of BBQ (approximately 48 1TBS Servings at 2g net carbs per Tablespoons)

Directions
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato sauce, sucralose, white vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.

2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary.

Nutrition Info (1 Tablespoon):
10 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 0g Protein
Atkins Diet Videos Facebook page
bowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowulf View Post
Ingredients
* 1 cup Low Carb Ketchup (either Heinz or Linda's "Better Than Heinz" Recipe - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes)
* 1 cup tomato sauce
* 1/2 cup Splenda or liquid equivalent (preferred)
* 1/2 cup vinegar
* 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
* 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
* 1 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* Dash of chili powder
* Dash ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Makes ~3 Cups of BBQ (approximately 48 1TBS Servings at 2g net carbs per Tablespoons)

Directions
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato sauce, sucralose, white vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.

2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary.

Nutrition Info (1 Tablespoon):
10 Calories, 0g Fat, 2g Carbs, 0g Protein
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/130.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Wendalina, I like this one http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...er-tasted.html
But I use erythritol and a bit of liquid splenda for sweetening, and I do it by taste rather than the measurements the original recipe lists.

And, hey, I miss you on the dinner menu threads!
Just have to say, this is my favorite sauce, too. I've made some tweaks to it so it tastes just like Heinz 57 Sauce. If I were using it for barbequing ribs or something though, I'd use the original recipe. Since I'm JUDDDING now, the sauce is still perfect as it is low carb and low calorie!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I recently used up my last bottle of KC Masterpiece so I had to come up with a homemade BBQ sauce to use instead. I'm really happy with this recipe. The secret ingredient is the celery seed. That gave it the same flavor that commercial sauces have that was missing from my first version. Also, the last time I made some I simmered it for a whole hour and I also added 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum which I'd blended with 1/2 teaspoon of oil. I think that helped make the sauce smoother. I may tweak the sweetener a bit next time. I like sweet BBQ sauce but it's almost too sweet. Start with about 1/3 cup worth of Splenda and adjust it to your taste.

SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Makes 2 cups

With granular Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 17 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 34 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 14 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs
Bump. Making this today!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyinpugland View Post
does anyone have a recipe for lo carb honey garlic sauce??? i miss that so much!!! is there such a thing as lo carb honey anywhere? and also, y is lo carb so big in the u.s. and not in canada? i have to order everything online, i was wondering if stores in the states just all carry lo carb stuff...? bellingham is about 40 mins away from me, so i cud always drive across the border and stock up, and gas up too, of course!
Hollyinpugland, I find that they normally list the honey as Sugar Free or Imitation. This is my BBQ, it's easy and we love it. You can sub powdered garlic for the cloves making it even easier.

It's very simple...

Mindy's Easy Honey BBQ Sauce

1 c. LC ketchup
1/3 c. SF honey
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 cloves minced garlic

Whisk together and tah-dah! Yummy BBQ sauce. It makes a lot, but it keeps well in the fridge in an air tight container for up to a month.

Mindy

Last edited by Iwantlessofme; 01-06-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Where can I find liquid smoke.

Thanks.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki2777 View Post
Where can I find liquid smoke.

Thanks.

Nikki
I found it at WalMart in the condiment section. Kind of a small bottle.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I am glad this thread has been revived--we love our barbecue here in the South and I am always up for more suggestions! Here's our tried-and-true version:

Diana’s Barbecue Sauce
This is a low-carbed tweaked version my mother’s barbecue sauce, from the 1950’s. I discovered how good the addition of the bacon is on this forum.
Ingredients:
• 2 strips of bacon, cut into small pieces
• ¼ medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 cup no sugar ketchup
• ¼ cup vinegar-- I use cider vinegar here, but some prefer white distilled vinegar
• ¼ cup sugar replacer (I use a combo of xylitol or Ideal, tagatose, and a few drops of liquid splenda)*
• 1 tbs yellow prepared mustard
• 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
• 1 tbs dried onion flakes
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp salt or to taste
Directions:
Sauté the little pieces of bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Then sauté the chopped onion in the bacon fat until it is transparent and slightly caramelized. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Thin with water if necessary to prevent burning if cooking on the stovetop.

I usually put this all together in a Corningware container that can go on the stovetop (for the bacon and onion browning), then into the microwave for simmering. Cover it partially if you do it in the microwave to keep it from spattering, but still allow it to reduce.

Stir well and adjust seasoning to taste. Linda Su adds ½ tsp celery seed to hers, so I am going to try that next.
This keeps beautifully in the fridge for several weeks.

*Note: the tagatose in this recipe will help with the browning of the meat on the grill or in the oven. Watch it closely, though if grilling or broiling, as it burns easily. Without tagatose, the sauce will almost never get that crispy, dark, grilled barbecue crust. An alternative in that situation would be to grill the meat first to form the crust, then add the barbecue sauce at the end. It also works well to use a little sugar-free honey as part of the sweetener. I keep a jar of that made up from Birgit Kerr’s recipe, which can be found on her website, or you can just use what you can buy in the grocery store.

Last edited by dianafoot; 01-26-2013 at 06:44 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:

SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Makes 2 cups

With granular Splenda:

With liquid Splenda:
I need to make this again. Love it.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I made this once and it is excellent

Jack Daniels Barbecue Sauce

Jack Daniels, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup
1/2 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 8 once can tomato sauce
1/2 small can tomato paste
The juice of 1 lemon
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup Soy Sauce
1/2-teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 bottle Liquid Smoke
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
add splenda to taste

Combine ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Then sweeten to taste with Splenda and adjust seasonings.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I used to love love love sloppy joes....but hiinestly now i can't even remember how that sauce was different that bbq sauce...sweeter? i'd like to use LindaSue's recipe as a starting off point. Any thoughts? Oh, to have a sloppy joe!

Thanks!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
I used to love love love sloppy joes....but hiinestly now i can't even remember how that sauce was different that bbq sauce...sweeter? i'd like to use LindaSue's recipe as a starting off point. Any thoughts? Oh, to have a sloppy joe!

Thanks!
I leave out the green peppers to suit my kids tastes and use low sugar ketchup.

Sloppy joes

1 pound lean ground beef
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup chopped onion
salt an pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard

Directions

1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.

2. Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup and mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post

Thanks!
The sloppy joes that I make have more of a sweet and sour flavored sauce and no smoke flavor.

MY FAVORITE SLOPPY JOES
1 pound ground chuck
1 small onion, chopped (2 1/2 ounces)
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses, optional
2 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional

Brown the ground chuck along with the onion and garlic; drain the fat. Add the remaining ingredients, except the xanthan gum. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. If the sauce is too thin, thicken it with a little xanthan gum. Serve on low carb buns or over chopped lettuce (not included in counts).

Makes about 6 servings

TIP: An easy way to add the xanthan gum is to stir it into the ground beef after you've drained the grease and before you add the remaining ingredients.

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 151 Calories; 8g Fat; 13g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 147 Calories; 8g Fat; 13g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Thanks Gina and LindaSue!

I was hoping for one like LindaSue's that starts with either tomato sauce or paste. Buying LS ketchup is kinda pricey for me, and I didn't want the ectra step of making my own.

Thanks girls!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
BBQ sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Bump. Making this today!
mswoods do you have counts on your version of this sauce?
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't. It's pretty similar to Linda Sue's. I just use some Diabetisweet Brown Sugar Sub in mine instead of Blackstrap Molases.