Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherriS.
Stats: 198/190/150 Weighed 225 in '05
WOE: Gluten Free (wheat allergic)
Start Date: March 2011
Doughnuts for breakfast

Low carb of course! I make almond flour pancake batter every week and today decided to pour it into my Babycakes donut cooker...OMG so freakin' good. Plus it's easier than flipping these dense little pancakes while waiting impatiently for them to cook before I go to work.

I had tried my scone recipe in there and they were terrible but happiness - thankfully pancake donuts are delish.

Have a wonderful 4th everyone!
SherriS. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Yummy! You can also use protein powder.

Low Carbin' Made Simple: Sweet Pea's WPP Doughnut Holes

Doughnut Holes

1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter
Sweetener to taste, if needed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (1/3 cup)
Coconut oil

Topping:
Sweetener & cinnamon

Taste and texture-wise, these fall somewhere in between true doughnuts and funnel cakes. They cook very fast, so make sure you have everything on hand!

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the melted butter, then add the protein powder, and vanilla. Taste and add sweetener if you want it sweeter. I find the Jay Robb Vanilla sweet enough.

Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still have a grainy look to it, but that's fine).

Using a large tablespoon or serving spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot oil in batches of 4.
Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will only take a few seconds, then flip.
Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with sweetener and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

Makes about 8-12 doughnut holes

I've got some carbquick I bet would make good doughnuts. Hmmm maybe today.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherriS. View Post
Low carb of course! I make almond flour pancake batter every week and today decided to pour it into my Babycakes donut cooker...OMG so freakin' good. Plus it's easier than flipping these dense little pancakes while waiting impatiently for them to cook before I go to work.

I had tried my scone recipe in there and they were terrible but happiness - thankfully pancake donuts are delish.

Have a wonderful 4th everyone!
So where is this recipe?????
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Hmmm... I just got one of these machines for my b-day. I was confused about why my friend gave this to me since we are both low carb. I thought I would just be using it for my kids.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Sounds really good! Please post the recipe.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
please
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

My recipe is from The Almond Flour cookbook and I don't know about posting things like that (copyrights??). But this one is pretty similar

Low-Carb Almond Meal Pancakes - Pancake Recipe with Almond Meal or Almond Flour (Just click on the LOWCARB part of this sentence - wasn't sure how to put the link on here)

I didn't time how long it took but it was only a few minutes and I opened the top and tested them...put it back down until it turned golden brown. Then top or dip into syrup. I'm getting up now to make a few more!

When you look into a mirror, Do you like what's looking at you? Now that you've seen your true reflections-What on earth are you gonna do?
Find some inspiration-It's down deep inside you! Amend your situation, yeah, Your whole life is ahead of you!
Lyrics by Boyd C. Tinsley performed by Dave Matthews Band
Old 07-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cskies
Stats: 135/135/125
Pictures would be extremely helpful!!
cskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

LOL, I seriously thought of that after I popped my doughnuts out of the cooker this morning
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Those sound yummy. I think I'll try them.

Thanks!

Oh, is the cookbook called "The Almond Flour Cookbook?" I might have to buy that.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I posted pictures of the donuts in my profile - albums. Let me know if you can't pull them up.

I covered them in chocolate ganache this morning and they were good. Ganache was heated hwc poured over bittersweet chocolate chips. I prefer just dipping them into my syrup though. I don't count carbs so I can't tell you how these add up.

I've also added pictures to my personal blog...cuz I can't figure this out on here.

Last edited by SherriS.; 07-03-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Oh my, those look awesome!
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iwillcya
Almond Flour Pancakes Recipe
2 Lg Eggs
1/4 C Agave Nectar
1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
1/4 C Water
1 1/2 C Almond Flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 TBSP arrowroot powder
2 TBSP Grapeseed oil

In a blender, combine the eggs, agave, vanilla & water process on high for about a min until smooth. Add the almond flour, salt, baking soda & arrowroot powder & blend until combined.

Fry in frying pan in grapeseed oil, or can be made in donut pan & or one of those donut makers.
iwillcya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I found a "pancake pen" at GoodWill for $1.99 this week. You can fill this with a week's worth of low carb pancake batter, and it would be super easy to fill the doughnut rings (I don't have a doughnut maker, but I'm sure it would be easier than trying to pour accurately) or to pour pancakes in the morning because it has a narrow spout. It seals up for storage in the fridge.

I also got a doughnut pan at GW last year--sounds like I can make my own low carb doughnuts easily now. I have such great finds from that GW!!!!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
seriously? you just talked me into buying a babycakes maker...it is on its way. I love almond or coconut pancakes. and have almost a doughnut fetish. the cream and extra dark chocolate are staring me down waiting to be blended into ganache. come on Thursday!

I do have the cutest little polka dotted enameled cast iron dollar size pancake pan that is perfect for little pancakes. they crisp up at the edges in their spots and always make exactly even sizes. nom

Does anyone else love breakfast food for dinner more than breakfast? now I'm craving bacon....

Last edited by b_lou_who; 02-29-2012 at 02:35 PM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lolly23
This?
Ingredients:
•1 cup almond meal
•2 eggs
•1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
•2 T oil
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1 T sweetener
Preparation:
Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top the same way as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.
Lolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Well I had donuts for lunch and dinner today. LOL. Just got my donut baking pan and made a batch of Widget's donuts and a batch of coconut flour donuts. These are fun. I added powdered E to Widget's donuts for powdered donuts. Drizzled Dark Chocolate Syrup on my coconut flour ones and did my version of LC Nutella on some. So Looking forward to trying out some other recipes.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I found a "pancake pen" at GoodWill for $1.99 this week. You can fill this with a week's worth of low carb pancake batter, and it would be super easy to fill the doughnut rings (I don't have a doughnut maker, but I'm sure it would be easier than trying to pour accurately) or to pour pancakes in the morning because it has a narrow spout. It seals up for storage in the fridge.

I also got a doughnut pan at GW last year--sounds like I can make my own low carb doughnuts easily now. I have such great finds from that GW!!!!

The main one on Yolanda, I think? A year or so ago I found an OXO salad spinner for $4 (normally $25+).

Last edited by watcher513; 03-01-2012 at 06:07 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
My, those doughnuts look delicious!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sdfarm
Stats: 260/240/160
Start Date: January 2011
Pancake Doughnuts

Thanks so much for the inspiration of this. Lately my "pancake" recipe has simplified to making one big fluffy thick pancake that is very filling and great texture.
My recipe is: 2 large eggs + 2 rounded T Carbquik + 1 rounded T Protein Powder (I use NNW brand favorite flavors Peanut Butter & Chocolate or Vanilla Caramel Swirl).
So last night I pulled out my Dazy Doughnut Maker (makes 2 cake size doughnuts). This recipe made 5 nice doughnuts for me to take on an overnight trip today. Now when everyone else is enjoying their motel breakfast, I will have something completely "legal"
sdfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Yummy! You can also use protein powder.

Low Carbin' Made Simple: Sweet Pea's WPP Doughnut Holes

Doughnut Holes

1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter
Sweetener to taste, if needed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (1/3 cup)
Coconut oil

Topping:
Sweetener & cinnamon

I just got through using your recipe above but added: 1/2 teaspoon banana flavoring, 2 packages of Splenda, and walnuts. I put the mixture in my donut hole maker and they came out perrrrrrfect!! I ate 3 of them and let the other three cool, sliced length wise and added cream cheese... OMG... Wonderful!!

Taste and texture-wise, these fall somewhere in between true doughnuts and funnel cakes. They cook very fast, so make sure you have everything on hand!

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the melted butter, then add the protein powder, and vanilla. Taste and add sweetener if you want it sweeter. I find the Jay Robb Vanilla sweet enough.

Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still have a grainy look to it, but that's fine).

Using a large tablespoon or serving spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot oil in batches of 4.
Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will only take a few seconds, then flip.
Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with sweetener and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

Makes about 8-12 doughnut holes

I've got some carbquick I bet would make good doughnuts. Hmmm maybe today.
I made the above recipe in my donuts whole maker but added: 1/2 teaspoon banana flavoring, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, 2 packages of Splenda, and chopped walnuts. They came out perrrrrrrrfect!! I ate 3 right away and then to the three left over I cut length wise and added cream cheese.... YUMMY!! Will be one of my favorite recipes.
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Recipe for coconut flour donuts please?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Lolly23, I have 3 recipes.
Coconut Flour Donuts Erica
1/2 cup of coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 cup of Truvia(or other sweetener)
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1/2 cup of butter (coconut oil)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Blend all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Blend in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until well blended. Fill donut pan circles about 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Toasted coconut topping: Toast some unsweetened coconut flakes for about 5 minutes at 300 degrees F. Dip each donut in sugar free pancake syrup and then in the toasted coconut.
Baked Coconut Flour Donuts Lisa
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
2 Tablespoons any favor DaVinci syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil warmed
1 packet sugar substitute
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Blend all the dry ingredients together. Blend in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix it until it is well-blended. Fill the donut pan circles about 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Donuts Liz
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted and slightly warm
1/4-1/2 cup honey or other liquid sweetener
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350f. Mix all dry ingredients together. Separately, mix all wet ingredients. Combine wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. i used a hand mixer for this. Pour batter evenly among donut pan. Stick into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Donuts will bounce to the touch when finished. Let them cool in the pan for 20 minutes or so before carefully sliding them out. Let cool completely before glazing or icing.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Soobee, which one is tried and true?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I haven't tried any of them. But all 3 are from bloggers known for their good recipes.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Got to bump this one
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
The recipe I used for the coconut flour donuts was posted in this this thread. The one that Ginaaaa posted with the nutmeg. I added the glycerine to it since I had ordered it to make Widget's donuts.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ed-donuts.html

I don't think I would use the nutmeg next time and as much as I love coconut oil, I think it was overkill here so I would go with butter or half butter and half coconut oil.

I love the idea of donuts! Don't know why I didn't look into these before. I'm in school so this makes breakfast so easy now. Just grab and go and take to class. If I had to pick a favorite though, I liked Widget's donuts better than the coconut donuts.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-02-2012 at 11:15 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Reposting Widget's recipe.

Donuts (makes 10)

2 tablespoons pancake syrup
2 teaspoons vegetable glycerine
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pork rind flour
8 pkts. Splenda (or sweetener of your choice)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil 10 wells of a donut pan.

In a small bowl, using a fork, beat together the syrup, glycerine, vanilla and eggs. In another small bowl stir together the dry ingredients, then stir in the butter. Stir the flour into the egg mixture until smooth.

Spoon mixture into the wells. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. Let cool before frosting. Store in refrigerator.

Frosting:
4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
4 tablespoons butter, room temp.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 pkts. sweetener (or to taste)
3 tablespoons heavy cream

With a mixer, beat all but the cream. Add the cream and beat until well blended.

I just got back from our convenience store..I found my "cruller" pan..I'm all set for some nommie crullers..Thanks, Widget.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stickergoddess
Stats: 182/154/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 11/03/2012
I am a little confused. Are some of you just pouring the batter in to the bella cookers?
stickergoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Widget's Donuts

They are TNT around here.

Where are you hiding Widget? Miss you!
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote