Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstubbs View Post
Tilly did the recipe have you add coffee crystals to it, or liquid coffee? I would put the crystals to disolve in with the cream mixture and stir it up before pouring it into the bowl..otherwise, I have no idea why it wouldn't start to thicken up....hth...
They asked for the instant, and I happen to have some. So other than the other recipes including vanilla extract, it is the same. Really odd. Guess if I really want that flavor I could add it while mixing it?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
that is strange, I don't know why it wouldn't set up????
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/165.3/135
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
I had to revive this thread today.........I made Jennifer Eloff's frozen yogurt in this tonight it was awesome!!!!!!
I froze both bowls, followed her recipe and split the "batter" into two batches, one for each bowl. Let them go for 15 minutes and voila!

I love this machine and I love Jen's recipes!
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh golly, don't get me started.

Can you tell us the name of the recipe? Is it in the new cookbook?

Last edited by Tilly; 02-02-2012 at 03:29 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/165.3/135
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
It is from her blog, just google her name, she posted the recipe a couple of days ago.
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Found it, yum! Many flavors to choose from. I look forward to her yogurt recipe, as mine is tart and she says to use one that is not tart. I see she says it is summer there, therefore, frozen yogurt!!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I must look for this recipe. I too have this half pint and only used it once. That was last year. My bowls have been in the fridge ever since. I used coconut milk when I did make the ice cream but lost the recipe
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used mine every day last summer. It was great for portion control and so quick to make. If you find your recipe, would you share it? I now like coconut milk!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
BUMP!
I'm in the market for an ice cream maker. I gave mine away years ago because it took up so much space in the freezer. Looking for something compact. So was it the consensus that granular splenda is better to use here than EZsweetz?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Since that last post of mine, I have now purchased a Cuisinart 2 quart ice cream maker. And I am going to try various recipes that have been posted but first one I can't wait to try is Jennifer's Ice Cream Custard. That one uses the liquid sucralose instead of the granular Splenda. The recipe is on page 75 in the new cookbook Low-Carbing Among Friends. And if I can limit myself to a serving (1/2 cup), then it is only 2.8 carbs!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Definitely use granular -- I have used Splenda and Xylitol with good results. It just doesn't firm up with EZ Sweets!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bought it a week ago but finally got around to use it today and I LOVE IT!!!!
I made pistachio ice cream. Yayyy! Tomorrow I'm gonna try to make Bailey's Ice Cream with my Irish Cream SF syrup. Used to love that from Haagen Daz. I love the consistency. I always preferred soft serve over hard ice cream. Whenever I had hard ice cream I used to melt it in the microwave for a bit.

I used a mix of granular splenda and EZsweetz to cut the carbs from all the granular and it worked great. I'll be using this a lot.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Bought it a week ago but finally got around to use it today and I LOVE IT!!!!
I made pistachio ice cream. Yayyy! Tomorrow I'm gonna try to make Bailey's Ice Cream with my Irish Cream SF syrup. Used to love that from Haagen Daz. I love the consistency. I always preferred soft serve over hard ice cream. Whenever I had hard ice cream I used to melt it in the microwave for a bit.

I used a mix of granular splenda and EZsweetz to cut the carbs from all the granular and it worked great. I'll be using this a lot.
Can you share that recipe please? I am interested in your use of the syrup. I was thinking that would make the ice cream too soft. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tilly, I haven't tried to use the syrup yet. Tonight I just added pistachio nuts and about a tablespoon of pistachio paste to 1 cup of heavy cream. You might be right, hmm the syrup might make it too soft. I like soft but don't want it to be soupy. I also have Irish Cream Flavoring so I might try that instead.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aaaargh! Just tried to make pistachio ice cream again and got ice cream soup LOL! It was still good anyway. This time I used half powdered E and half EZsweetz. Next time I'm going back to the half Granular Splenda and half EZ Sweetz.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Aaaargh! Just tried to make pistachio ice cream again and got ice cream soup LOL! It was still good anyway. This time I used half powdered E and half EZsweetz. Next time I'm going back to the half Granular Splenda and half EZ Sweetz.
This girl is going to get her ice cream machine out. Too hot here!!! and craving ice cream again!!! Yum yum yum, pistachio ice cream here we come!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Can you share the amount of cream and sweetener you used with the half Granular Splenda half EZ Sweets recipe? I'd love to cut out some of the carbs from the Splenda!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aptos Gal
Stats: 185/163/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: November 2007
I have found with my Hamilton that if I use 1-2 teaspoons of glycerine I can use all ez-sweetz. It is soft serve definitely, but not milk shake consistency.
Aptos Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
tulipsandroses, could you please share your recipe for pistachio ice cream? I just bought some of the nuts today at Trader Joes. It is about 40 degrees out today, but supposed to be 80 tomorrow, summer is coming !!!!! I found one here on LCF's but it uses sf jello. Not sure if pist. ice cream is just vanilla with the nuts added or other flavoring(s).
Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
Can you share the amount of cream and sweetener you used with the half Granular Splenda half EZ Sweets recipe? I'd love to cut out some of the carbs from the Splenda!
Sorry, I don't even remember the sweetener ratios. Should have written it down. Next time I will though. The 2 times I made ice cream I used 1/2 cup HWC
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
tulipsandroses, could you please share your recipe for pistachio ice cream? I just bought some of the nuts today at Trader Joes. It is about 40 degrees out today, but supposed to be 80 tomorrow, summer is coming !!!!! I found one here on LCF's but it uses sf jello. Not sure if pist. ice cream is just vanilla with the nuts added or other flavoring(s).
Hi Tilly, I use no sugar added pistachio paste that I get from a local Farmers' market here. I've also just done vanilla ice cream and then thrown in crushed pistachios. The pistachio paste is really good but rather expensive. So I'm thinking of making my own by just throwing the pistachios into the food processor and turn it into a paste or butter.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Tilly, I use no sugar added pistachio paste that I get from a local Farmers' market here. I've also just done vanilla ice cream and then thrown in crushed pistachios. The pistachio paste is really good but rather expensive. So I'm thinking of making my own by just throwing the pistachios into the food processor and turn it into a paste or butter.
I don't see why not. Think I will try it. Got the base in the frig now and bought the nuts from TJ's today. When I make it I will post here how it turned out. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow, do you think they would tell you their recipe? I have searched online and it is all made with sugar and honey. King Arthur sells it as well but again, it has sugar in it. I will try to whiz some up, maybe add some sweetener and oil, we'll see. Since I've never had it not sure what it is supposed to taste like.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah most of what is available has added sugar and the ones without sugar that you can find online, tend to only sell in bulk or its extremely expensive. My container just says 100% pistachios as the ingredients so I think it can be done at home. I've made coconut butter before in the food processor with dried shredded coconut and I know some folks make their own almond butter by doing the same thing, so I don't see why it would be different to do the pistachios. I love the pistachio paste but its almost 10 bucks for a jar with a little over 8 ounces.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yeah most of what is available has added sugar and the ones without sugar that you can find online, tend to only sell in bulk or its extremely expensive. My container just says 100% pistachios as the ingredients so I think it can be done at home. I've made coconut butter before in the food processor with dried shredded coconut and I know some folks make their own almond butter by doing the same thing, so I don't see why it would be different to do the pistachios. I love the pistachio paste but its almost 10 bucks for a jar with a little over 8 ounces.
Thanks, that works for me!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kitchen Diva
I have this and love it

I got this last month and just started using it. First tried using fat free half and half only but the flavor was not there. Next 2 times used full fat half and half and whipping cream as in the initial recipe. I also used Turbinado sugar in place of white sugar and vanilla. I added Kahlua and chocolate syrup (at the end of they cycle) and it turned out FABULOUS. The consistancy when first made is rather loose. Just put it in the fridge to firm up and it's absolutely perfect. It can make 6 oz or 12 oz and that's perfect for us. Furthermore, you have 2 freezer bowl which allows you to make 2 kinds of ice cream. Next I'll make peach ice cream using my frozen Jersey peaches. We had a full size ice cream machine and only used it once and sold it at our garage sale. This one is a much better option.

Last edited by Kitchen Diva; 04-03-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Kitchen Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I just bought one of these yesterday since Target had it on sale for 15 dollars. Has anyone developed a recipe that works in this machine using coconut milk?If so, I would appreciate the recipe!! Thanks.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I got one of those last year. I had trouble with the ice cream sticking to the sides too. I didn't see that tip about pushing the top down once in a while. I will have to give it another try. It would be easy to make up a large batch of the mix to keep in the fridge and freeze some up every day or so.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I tried this today and what a great little invention.I stopped making ice cream due to difficulties with portion control and freezing leftovers made it hard as a rock. I made ice cream today and pushed down on the top in the beginning. It didn't stick to the sides at all. It was soft serve consistency and yummy. I just used HWC, half and half, sugar sub, pistachio extract and pistachio nuts. Come on summer!!

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-21-2012 at 06:02 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I tried this today and what a great little invention.I stopped making ice cream due to difficulties with portion control and freezing leftovers made it hard as a rock. I made ice cream today and pushed down on the top in the beginning. It didn't stick to the sides at all. It was soft serve consistency and yummy. I just used HWC, half and half, sugar sub, pistachio extract and pistachio nuts. Come on summer!!
I used mine just about everyday last summer. One of my bowls has started to leak whatever is in there. Does anyone know if you can get extra bowls? I will have to toss this one.