Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Will This Work In Crack Slaw?

I want to try crack slaw but I didn't look up the recipe before I went to the grocery store this morning so I ended up with a big bag of of cole slaw mix (cabbage and carrot) instead of broccoli slaw mix (broccoli and carrot). Will the cabbage one work as well? Has anyone made it with cole slaw mix? I'm worried since cabbage will give it a little different texture/flavor...
evas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

OK, never mind, I see that the original crack slaw IS made with the cabbage slaw as opposed to the broccoli slaw.

So the question is.....which do you like better?

Also, I don't have sesame oil but I do have coconut oil, would that lend a good flavor?

And thirdly, I saw another recipe online that is the same main ingredients except that instead of asian seasonings it has southwest seasonings and is topped with sour cream and salsa, has anyone tried that?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I always make it with cabbage or slaw mix. I like that better than the broccoli slaw. There are so many versions of Crack Slaw that you really can't go wrong no matter what you throw into it.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #4

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
The sesame oil gives it a depth of flavor that coconut oil wouldn't. Just a small bit of this gives a wonderful Asian flavor.

Last edited by lisabinil; 06-27-2011 at 07:18 AM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

I've never tried coconut oil in that recipe and I wonder if it would give it a sort of Thai curry flavor as if you'd added coconut milk. Might be tasty that way if you use enough to actually taste the coconut flavor.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
And thirdly, I saw another recipe online that is the same main ingredients except that instead of asian seasonings it has southwest seasonings and is topped with sour cream and salsa, has anyone tried that?
I don't see how it could taste bad. It sounds good to me.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 14, 2011
Crazy recipe that it is, I like tilapia or any other mild fish with the cabbage slaw and salsa/taco seasoning. My husband is Mexican and he loves to eat this on tortillas. I've been making it longer than I've been on Atkins! I imagine cooking it with ground beef (or even chopped chicken!) would be awesome. I'll have to try that next.

I was recently introduced to sesame oil, by the way, thanks to Linda's Seoul Chicken (which is more like crack to me than anything!) and it really does make the Asian-influenced crackslaw even tastier.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/148.0/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I just made it for the first time tonight, and used cabbage slaw. I used the Asian influence-sauce, but next time could give it a splash of coconut milk for the Thai way. Tonight was soy sauce, a couple splashes of sesame oil, garlic, cayenne pepper a small dollop of PB. Yum!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have never actually read the recipe for crackslaw, but I have been eating a version of it for years. It is practically the inside of a beerock, which is the German version of a calzone .

My mom grew up around many German folks and learned to make them when she was a kid. The insides are shredded or ground beef, cabbage and lots of pepper. If she didn't have time to do the whole homemade bread thing, we ate it on hamburger buns. The round ladies who taught her to make it are probably rolling in their graves.

Now I brown hamburger, garlic, celery and onions. Drain and add shredded cabbage (or bagged cabbage slaw, sometimes I add some brocoli slaw if I have it) and some beef broth. Let the cabbage wilt down and brown a little.

It. is. delicious.

3/24/14 She is Beautiful 10k- I won! 7/27/14 Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14 Title 9K 11/?/14 looking for a late fall race 4/12/15 Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happyheart1
Stats: 218/144/150
WOE: Maintaining on 60NC or less
Start Date: 7/06/07
Both are good, but I prefer the cole slaw mix. Sometimes I add a can of drained, diced maters
happyheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Well I finally made the "crack" slaw, it's very tasty! I can see this being a very versatile recipe. I needed to throw something together super quick so I skipped fresh garlic and fresh onion and used garlic powder and onion powder, I bet it tastes even better with the fresh stuff. I would also like to add in some fresh ginger and perhaps some of that asian garlic chili paste. I'm also thinking of adding in a few fresh veggies like thin sliced bell pepper and zucchini.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesSuperCool View Post
Crazy recipe that it is, I like tilapia or any other mild fish with the cabbage slaw and salsa/taco seasoning. My husband is Mexican and he loves to eat this on tortillas.
Traditionally, fish tacos are served with cabbage instead of lettuce so this makes sense!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Well I finally made the "crack" slaw, it's very tasty! I can see this being a very versatile recipe. I needed to throw something together super quick so I skipped fresh garlic and fresh onion and used garlic powder and onion powder, I bet it tastes even better with the fresh stuff. I would also like to add in some fresh ginger and perhaps some of that asian garlic chili paste. I'm also thinking of adding in a few fresh veggies like thin sliced bell pepper and zucchini.
I buy the giant pkgs of hamburger when they go on a good sale or from Costco and repakg it in the size we need and I add garlic, onion and chopped celery to the pkg. It makes dinner much easier.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
A friend just made crack slaw with shrimp last night. She said it was delish. I am looking forward to trying it. I make Crack Slaw several times a week--usually for lunch as I work from home.

We are not big seafood eaters at home but the shrimp version will be a great alternative during Lent.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #15

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH I would love to hear about the shrimp one. I always make the cheesy version of the crack slaw with tons of mushrooms. I wonder if I could just sub in grilled shrimp instead of hamburger! YUMMMMMMM Let me know how you plan on making it.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:

It's SO good with grated ginger in it. I keep the ginger 'fingers' in a freezer ziplock bag and just use my microplane when I need it, so it doesn't go bad (dry up) just sitting out. I love grated ginger in crack slaw.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
It's SO good with grated ginger in it. I keep the ginger 'fingers' in a freezer ziplock bag and just use my microplane when I need it, so it doesn't go bad (dry up) just sitting out. I love grated ginger in crack slaw.
Thanks for that tip. I have a piece just sitting on my countertop right now that needs attention, so now I can save it and use as needed.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
You're welcome. I loved that tip.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote