Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
banana bread for camping!!

From Robb Wolf's site:
Paleo Banana Bread
Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free
Ingredients

2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
4 really ripe bananas (mashed well)
2 tbsp local honey
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, add the mashed bananas, eggs, honey, and vanilla and mix well.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until combined. Normally with breads or muffin recipes, you don’t want to overmix, but since there’s no gluten here, mix to your heart’s content. The muffins won’t get gummy or icky.
Fill greased muffin tins, baking cups, mini-loaf pans or big loaf pans about 3/4 full. Bake muffins for 23-25 minutes and loaves for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool slightly and enjoy with a pat of almond butter, coconut oil or grass-fed butter. Mmmm.

Making this as a special treat so we can avoid the fish and chips, the salt-water taffy, and the very small amount of smores I'm bringing for my five year old.

Mostly fruit, cheese sticks, nuts and eggs for snacks.

Sometimes, this WOL is a bit difficult, but that's why I love the paleo option: I really believe its a nice substitute of all gluten-free, additive free foods your body recognizes and utilizes well, even if you have higher carbs some days.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
That looks tasty!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
That recipe sounds really good! I love banana bread but only occasionally actually make any, and welcome this recipe to try.

Have a fun camping trip! Are you sure you don't want the S'Mores too? LOL Those are another of my favorites to have when around a bonfire. Can't have them often, but Granddaughter, age 10, and her little friend will be here shortly, so we'll definitely have them one night around the back patio bonfire bowl. I'll be thinking of you folks!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I've gotten to the point where I don't want treats like smores. I've been away from it long enough now to not care, plus underlying that I know I'll re-addict myself with one taste.

I'm a sugar binger. Best to avoid.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for the link! I've been meaning to check out Robb's site, but hadn't made it over there yet. My favorite's list is like 8 miles long now with paleo sites. It's insane! There aren't enough hours in the day and I don't even have a job!

Hope the banana bread turns out yummy. I don't bake with nut flours myself, too hard on my tummy. I like coconut flour. I have a brownie recipe I've been tinkering with. Made changes and got a cinnamon blueberry coconut cake. Perhaps I'll tinker around and incorporate some mashed banana next.
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Yeah thanks for posting!! We are going camping this weekend and I was wondering what foods I could bring???
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I made caramel banana walnut flax muffins for breakfast today that were out of this world and almost zero carb. I am not trying to talk people out of making banana bread, IF they can tolerate the carbs. Just pointing out that there is a delicious alternative for people who can't.

I made the muffins with Davinci Caramel Syrup, Banana extract, and walnuts. I find the banana extract alone can taste fake. Better to combine with caramel and use with discretion. The kitchen smells so good!
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Its true there are more carbs in it due to the bananas. We are very active while camping, we hike for miles and go for runs, so we'll burn it off.

It tasted actually a little less sweet than I'd like, next time I'd probably add a sweetener; although there aren't many legal sweeteners if you are truly paleo...plus its probably better to allow taste buds to adjust to natural sweetness, anyway.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
Its true there are more carbs in it due to the bananas. We are very active while camping, we hike for miles and go for runs, so we'll burn it off.

It tasted actually a little less sweet than I'd like, next time I'd probably add a sweetener; although there aren't many legal sweeteners if you are truly paleo...plus its probably better to allow taste buds to adjust to natural sweetness, anyway.
yes, you burn off carbs, but only by secreting insulin, which is the problem for those of us with poor metabolisms. that is (as I know you know) the point of low carb.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
OMG yum yum yum!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote