Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kel1971
Stats: 261 / 242 / 199
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: RESTART June 27/2011
CRACKER IDEAS-ANYONE?

Does anyone have any easy and good low carb cracker recipes they can share.

I make some with sunflower seeds-which were very good but they take a long time to make-rolling out the dough and baking etc. I usually make in larger batches when I do make them.
Wondering if anyone has a quick recipe - that can be used if you don't have time to do the baking?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Kel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My sister gave me this recipe and I have made the first one once. It was pretty easy and the crackers came out great without separating each one. I have not tried the cinnamon ones.

ALMOND CRACKERS
(SAVOURY)

1 1/2 cups almond flour
4 teaspoons granular Splenda (1/8 cup)
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp crushed rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

OR use 1/4 teaspoon each of onion and garlic powder (+ 1 tsp of poppy seeds - optional)
OR garlic powder + sesame seeds

Mix all of the ingredients well in a small bowl. Everything should be moist and the dough should hold together somewhat. Put the dough on a well-greased sheet of parchment paper. It's helpful to crumble the dough mixture and spread the crumbs in a roughly rectangular shape on the paper. Cover the dough with another piece of parchment paper that's been oiled. Roll out the dough to about 1/8" thick or slightly thinner. Try to get the dough to an even thickness. You can also carefully peel up the paper and reshape the dough to get it as close to rectangular as possible, about 12x12" square. Replace the paper and continue rolling until nice and even. Peel off the parchment and use a pizza or ravioli cutter to score the dough into approximately 1-inch squares.
You can slide this whole thing onto a cookie sheet and bake, and then just break them up after baking. But I think they cook quicker and more evenly if you peel each one off and place on a separate parchment paper on a cookie sheet, spaced a little apart (they don't spread much at all) use a buttered thin bread knife to 'start' each piece, then you can peel it off with your fingers.
Bake them at 325º for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Check after 10 minutes and if crackers at outer edge are getting pretty brown, remove those and continue baking the rest until golden. They will keep well in an airtight container in your cupboard.

Makes about 100 crackers
Can be frozen

Per batch: 44g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber; 18g Net Carbs
Per 10 crackers: 4.4g Protein; 3.8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1.8g Net Carbs

CINNAMON ALMOND THINS (SWEET)
3 ounces almond flour, 3/4 cup
2 tablespoons granular Splenda
1 egg white
Pinch salt (try 1/8 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Make the same as for the Almond Thins, but sprinkle the topping over the dough before baking. Spread the topping evening over the dough with your hand.

Makes about 48-64 crackers

Per batch: 532 Calories; 43g Fat; 21g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs
Per 8 crackers: 67 Calories; 5g Fat; 3g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you - sounds good.
They sound very similiar to the sunflower ones I make. I will defintely try them.

I wondering if you could make either recipe in a smaller amt in the microwave?
I will have to experiment. I think I will try that this week.
When I run out and don't have time to do the backing and cleanup.....it would be a lot quicker in the microwave.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I make almonds thins , sunflower thins, and brazil nut thins all the time . They are wonderful with dips , tuna salad, egg salad , crab salad. I make mine all in one day so that I don't have to make them a lot. I've never use the micro- wave .

Here is a wasa cracker recipe from Soobee & Beeb done in the micro. I'm sure it will help.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I have made these too . Wonderful. By Linda Sue.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
These are quite easy to make: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ond-thins.html
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the two easy ones, both great, follow. don't forget pork rinds!

I prefer the Cheese chips with dips and the crackers with cheese. somehow the cheese chips with cheese just seem too CHEESY even though the chips don't taste all that much like cheese.

Cheese chips

take a slice of processed cheese, preferably something like the herb-garlic-3 cheese flavor, fold in half then each half in half, both ways, till you have 16 pieces. place at LEAST 1 inch apart in each direction on parchment paper. microwave 1.5 min (in my machine, keep watching.) peel off paper and cool.

these are a very good "deal," having only about 6 calories and .06 grams carb each, 100 cal and 1 gram for all 16 chips. very good with guacamole.

Almond thins

1/4 c almond meal
T flax meal
1/4 c water
salt

mix in silicone loaf pan, normal loaf pan size. shake to make sure it's even across the bottom. microwave 3 min and check for doneness. must be firm in the center! when it is, after more cooking if needed, pop out on cutting board and cut with a long knife while still warm. Don't let it get too firm before cutting or it will shatter, just solid enough to stay together as a sheet when you pop it out. I usually cut once down the middle and three times across for 8 crackers.

microwave crackers a bit longer on a plate for additional crispness.

really, there is no need to add anything else. the flax is just enough to keep them together better than almond meal would do alone though, don't omit it. I'm sure other recipes end up a tad tastier, but when you are topping crackers with something flavorful, say cheese, these are great and SO much easier.

Last edited by ravenrose; 06-26-2011 at 02:40 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Here is a recipe for some really easy ones:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-crackers.html
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I make almonds thins , sunflower thins, and brazil nut thins all the time . They are wonderful with dips , tuna salad, egg salad , crab salad. I make mine all in one day so that I don't have to make them a lot. I've never use the micro- wave .

Here is a wasa cracker recipe from Soobee & Beeb done in the micro. I'm sure it will help.
I did not see the link for the wasa crackers, could you please post it?

Last edited by Tilly; 06-26-2011 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: saw was already posted
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm sorry I thought I put it in there. Here ya go.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...a-cracker.html
Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Kel, do you have Costco up your way?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I will probably try most of the them eventually.

Especially looking forward to try the microwave ones. Will experiment with these tonight.
Sometimes I just don't have the time to bake the other ones and need something quick to take to work. These will be great.

Charski, YES I do have a Costco membership. Do they carry something that would work? I would love to know.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
Gadget Gal

Yes! In their cold cheeses department, they have something by Cello brand - it's a tray of cracker-sized sliced cheeses, in 4 flavors - cheddar, gouda, swiss, and something else. I make THOSE into almost instant crackers!

Preheat the oven to 400*. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cheese slices on the paper with about 1 inch in between - I can get 4 x 5 rows on there, so I get each flavor x 5 "crackers" - put them in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, it will vary with your oven. Mine takes 9 exactly. Watch them after the first 7 to 8 minutes, you want them to be JUST browning up around the edges a bit and they'll get all bubbly.

Remove from oven and let stand a minute, then I use a paper towel to blot up the excess oils - slide the parchment off onto a countertop to let them cool quickly.

Remove from paper and enjoy!

DH and I make and eat these with a tin of sardines for lunch most weekends. We've come to prefer them over any other crackers and they're so simple!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: H20Goddess
Stats: 181/140/140, 5'9
WOE: LC / Whole Foods
Start Date: Jan 10, 2005
I purchased some almond flour this past weekend with the intention of making the almond thins recipe. Since I have never made these before, I am wondering if they are very crunchy? I need crunchy snack ideas. Also worried that they may become too addicting...lol
H20Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-crackers.html
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Goddess View Post
I purchased some almond flour this past weekend with the intention of making the almond thins recipe. Since I have never made these before, I am wondering if they are very crunchy? I need crunchy snack ideas. Also worried that they may become too addicting...lol
They are very crunchy, very good, and VERY addictive! I can clear a pan of those things in a day. Which is precisely why I don't make them very often, and only when I'm taking them to someone else's house!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I'm sorry I thought I put it in there. Here ya go.

Thanks, maybe it just did not show up on my computer screen, but thanks. I read through the whole thread, wow, the original with all the tweaks and then your variations sound wonderful! Sometimes I just want to crunch into something. I open up my pantry and just want to stuff something crunchy and not allowed into this mouth, But these look pretty easy and quick, thanks!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Goddess View Post
I say yes (crunchy) and yes (addicting),
But I only make them once in awhile. Once I have them cooled, I put them into small containers so I won't eat the whole batch at once!!!!! (Think I did that the first time I made them, )
Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Gadget Gal

I made the Wasa-type crackers today - easy and really tasty. I did NOT use the DaVinci's, I used water, and added a little freshly-ground sea salt. I ate my tuna salad on the crackers and thoroughly enjoyed every bite!

I cut a round of parchment paper to fit my MW glass tray, and nuked the stuff, turning it over when it was dry enough to do so, til crisp. I'll make this again!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:50 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Glad to hear that-I am going to try the Wasa Crackers tonight. They sound good.
I tried the cheese in the microwave last night.....awesome little cracker/chips. I used a slice of provolone (which had a very nice flavour) and then another later of cheddar
Thanks ravenrose
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Yes! In their cold cheeses department, they have something by Cello brand - it's a tray of cracker-sized sliced cheeses, in 4 flavors - cheddar, gouda, swiss, and something else. I make THOSE into almost instant crackers!

Preheat the oven to 400*. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cheese slices on the paper with about 1 inch in between - I can get 4 x 5 rows on there, so I get each flavor x 5 "crackers" - put them in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, it will vary with your oven. Mine takes 9 exactly. Watch them after the first 7 to 8 minutes, you want them to be JUST browning up around the edges a bit and they'll get all bubbly.

Remove from oven and let stand a minute, then I use a paper towel to blot up the excess oils - slide the parchment off onto a countertop to let them cool quickly.

Remove from paper and enjoy!

DH and I make and eat these with a tin of sardines for lunch most weekends. We've come to prefer them over any other crackers and they're so simple!
Thanks for sharing this!!!!! I am so making these! I love EASY recipes.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
the two easy ones, both great, follow. don't forget pork rinds!

I prefer the Cheese chips with dips and the crackers with cheese. somehow the cheese chips with cheese just seem too CHEESY even though the chips don't taste all that much like cheese.

Cheese chips

take a slice of processed cheese, preferably something like the herb-garlic-3 cheese flavor, fold in half then each half in half, both ways, till you have 16 pieces. place at LEAST 1 inch apart in each direction on parchment paper. microwave 1.5 min (in my machine, keep watching.) peel off paper and cool.

these are a very good "deal," having only about 6 calories and .06 grams carb each, 100 cal and 1 gram for all 16 chips. very good with guacamole.

Almond thins

1/4 c almond meal
T flax meal
1/4 c water
salt

mix in silicone loaf pan, normal loaf pan size. shake to make sure it's even across the bottom. microwave 3 min and check for doneness. must be firm in the center! when it is, after more cooking if needed, pop out on cutting board and cut with a long knife while still warm. Don't let it get too firm before cutting or it will shatter, just solid enough to stay together as a sheet when you pop it out. I usually cut once down the middle and three times across for 8 crackers.

microwave crackers a bit longer on a plate for additional crispness.

really, there is no need to add anything else. the flax is just enough to keep them together better than almond meal would do alone though, don't omit it. I'm sure other recipes end up a tad tastier, but when you are topping crackers with something flavorful, say cheese, these are great and SO much easier.
This is why I love you Raven. So simple and few ingredients. Right up my alley. Now to get some almond flour.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tried the Wasa crackers yesterday and they were wonderful! Used hazelnut DaVinchi's then stirred and estimated the eggs (used some leftover Egg Beaters). Microwaved them on a dinner plate, came off easily. Spread with some herbed cream cheese (mixed myself), YUM!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
ok where is the thread for wasa ceackers?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Gadget Gal

Vanessa made the cheese crackers I talked about above and posted pictures! Here is the link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ure-heavy.html

This is the link for the Wasa crackers, which is in post #10 above: