Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~*Kimbers*~
Stats: 373/360/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/10/2014
Freezing Cheese?

Can you freeze cheese? I've heard yes, but thought I would check further. I have some coupons for cheese that put it at a bargain price, but would be more than I can eat anytime soon. Its the Kraft BIG SLICE cheese packs. What do you think?
~*Kimbers*~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2inlove04
Stats: 265/238/136
Start Date: Dec 1 2010 (restart) June 22 2011
I've always frozen cheese it's helpful if I get a sale deal @ the grocery store..
2inlove04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2inlove04 View Post
I've always frozen cheese it's helpful if I get a sale deal @ the grocery store..

Does it affect taste/texture?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalania
Stats: (210)200/165
WOE: Low Sugar/Wheat
Start Date: restart January 1st 2012
I've frozen bags of the shredded cheese (back when I had a Sam's Club membership) and it always thawed fine with no change in either taste or texture.
Kalania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Comeongetdown
Stats: 143/134.4/120 (5'1")
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: June 1, 2011
in my experience the harder cheese freezes better and affects taste/texture less than soft cheese like fresh mozzarella. i think with the kraft big slices, you'll be fine. i would not hesitate to buy extra and freeze them. hth
Comeongetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I will be taking advantage of this deal!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
I have frozen cream cheese and shredded cheese without issues. Have not tried it with big blocks like cheddar but I don't think it would affect the texture since it hasn't affect other cheeses like that.
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kimbers*~ View Post
Can you freeze cheese? I've heard yes, but thought I would check further. I have some coupons for cheese that put it at a bargain price, but would be more than I can eat anytime soon. Its the Kraft BIG SLICE cheese packs. What do you think?
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi Kimbers…

We buy Sharp Cheddar in 5# blocks, and I shred it first and then we freeze it. It doesn't work well the other way around because the texture gets crumbly.

I don't freeze eating/nibbling cheeses, except for cream cheese.

[/color]
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
I do freeze the block cheese (also b/c I get it on sale with coupons)! I don't open the wrapper, I just wrap it up in foil. However, it is a bit drier and crumbly when you thaw it. I'd love to hear other suggestions.
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Another alternative to freezing is to vacuum-seal the cheese, if you have something like a Foodsaver. It will keep nearly forever that way!

I had a chunk of smoked gouda that I vacuum sealed and no lie, we ate it a year later, no loss of quality or flavor.

As mentioned, bigger pieces of cheddar tend to get quite crumbly after they've been frozen.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
whenever I have frozen large extra sharp cheese I buy at a nearby town outlet, I know after frozen it will thaw crumbly, as noted. However, I then use that cheese as shredded. It melts fine. I also have seen cheese wrapped in waxes wrapping stays fresh longer than the date says.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Will the big slice cheese (has wax paper between each slice) crumble?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
i have put a big block of montery jack cheese in the freezer...
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linnylamb
Stats: 219/166/130
Start Date: August 2010 (This time around!)
I agree with Charski. The foodsaver does a great job with cheese. There are only two of us in the house, so it really helps to keep the cheese longer.
Linnylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I usually buy cheese in the shredded sealed package on sale ad toss it in the freezer. Then I pull it out as needed, measure it out, and use it. The rest of it I throw back in the freezer. Yes, in my experience a block of cheese will crumble when frozen and then use for something. As for flavor, I use it crumbled with eggs or in recipes, they usually ask for cheese in an amount that is shredded anyway and it tastes fine.

I use cheese in recipes, otherwise sparingly. I watch the sodium. Just found a sale on sliced baby swiss at Kroger's this week. Vacuum sealed so will last alllllll summer!!! Very low in sodium per slice.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I buy American cheese slices and mozzarella, in 5 pound blocks (which I cut into 1# sections) at Costco and freeze them. Wrap up in foil and stick in the freezer. They are just fine upon thawing.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
I'm interested in how you freeze cream cheese. I tried it years ago and when thawed it was watery, broke apart, was lumpy and I couldn't use it for anything. Even trying to whip with a hand mixer didn't help...........TIA...............Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Another alternative to freezing is to vacuum-seal the cheese, if you have something like a Foodsaver. It will keep nearly forever that way!

I had a chunk of smoked gouda that I vacuum sealed and no lie, we ate it a year later, no loss of quality or flavor.

As mentioned, bigger pieces of cheddar tend to get quite crumbly after they've been frozen.
That's interesting... I buy cheese in bulk at Sam's Club and freeze it, I never thought about vacuum sealing it. It would be much more convenient to keep it fresh rather than freezing. Have you ever done that with regular cheddar, mozzarella or sliced cheese?
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I have the Reynolds bag set that extracts the air with a little hand held tool and use for cheese all the time. I've never had it as long as a year in the fridge, but for quite a few weeks and it doesn't get moldy.
Just take out what I need, reseal bag and suck the air out again. I've saved a lot of cheese since I've been using it........................ Ann
Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
CL, yes, I've done it with my fave, Tillamook Reserve White Extra-Sharp Cheddar, and also Cabot's white too. It works just as well - no mold. Haven't tried it on the soft cheeses because I don't usually buy those in big blocks, just enough to eat up within a week or two.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
I have the Reynolds bag set that extracts the air with a little hand held tool and use for cheese all the time. I've never had it as long as a year in the fridge, but for quite a few weeks and it doesn't get moldy.
Just take out what I need, reseal bag and suck the air out again. I've saved a lot of cheese since I've been using it........................ Ann
I've never used one of those, I've had a food saver for many years and love it. I've often thought about getting one but never really took the step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
CL, yes, I've done it with my fave, Tillamook Reserve White Extra-Sharp Cheddar, and also Cabot's white too. It works just as well - no mold. Haven't tried it on the soft cheeses because I don't usually buy those in big blocks, just enough to eat up within a week or two.
My next trip to Sam's in a couple of months I'm going to give this a try. When I go I get enough staples to last 6 to 9 months and use my food saver a lot. It saves me a lot of money on my grocery bill.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Chicken Lady I told you the wrong bag set (Sorry) I have the Ziplock Vacuum. I had the Reynolds first, then got the Ziplock one as a freebie and liked it better, this one doesn't use batteries. I have a food saver too, but hate to get it out every time I want to redo my cheese............. Ann
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

No worries!! When I go to Sam's I separate my grated cheese into two pound portions and put them in Ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. I will use up a two pound bag of cheese way before it has time to grow mold stored in nothing but the Ziplock bag so that is not a problem.

I was just thinking that if I could just vacuum seal my bags and store them in the bottom of my extra frig in the garage that would be a lot more convenient than freezing it. Especially right now because my freezer is stuffed to the brim with meat.

We just had a steer processed that we split with my daughter and we personally processed two wild hogs DH shot and 50 fryers that we raised ourselves. I couldn't get a thin slice of gum in my freezer right now. But then it's enough meat to last us a year.

DH built me a new smokehouse this past December out of an old pump house that he wasn't using any more and it's really getting a workout. I call it his Red Neck Smokehouse, he uses my propane smoker for the smoke and he used dryer hose for the smoke pipe. But hey it works....

Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
No worries!! When I go to Sam's I separate my grated cheese into two pound portions and put them in Ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. I will use up a two pound bag of cheese way before it has time to grow mold stored in nothing but the Ziplock bag so that is not a problem.

I was just thinking that if I could just vacuum seal my bags and store them in the bottom of my extra frig in the garage that would be a lot more convenient than freezing it. Especially right now because my freezer is stuffed to the brim with meat.

We just had a steer processed that we split with my daughter and we personally processed two wild hogs DH shot and 50 fryers that we raised ourselves. I couldn't get a thin slice of gum in my freezer right now. But then it's enough meat to last us a year.

DH built me a new smokehouse this past December out of an old pump house that he wasn't using any more and it's really getting a workout. I call it his Red Neck Smokehouse, he uses my propane smoker for the smoke and he used dryer hose for the smoke pipe. But hey it works....

Whoa, you sure have your hands full with all that work (and freezer, not chicken lady, lucky lady!!!!!!)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lytle View Post
I'm interested in how you freeze cream cheese. I tried it years ago and when thawed it was watery, broke apart, was lumpy and I couldn't use it for anything. Even trying to whip with a hand mixer didn't help...........TIA...............Ann
I just stuck it in there and took it out a few days later. I was using it for baking so maybe I did not notice it was lumpy so much. I nuked it in the microwave for a few...no problems but maybe because it wasn't frozen for too long?
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is from EHow:

Choose cream cheese that contains a higher fat content. Low-fat cream cheese fares badly when thawed, though you may use it as an ingredient in a casserole.

Leave the cream cheese in its original packaging. Wrap the box or tub with freezer paper and place it in a resealable plastic bag, squeezing out most of the air before sealing.

Place the cream cheese or dips made from cream cheese on the middle shelf of the freezer to maintain an even temperature. You may leave the cream cheese in the freezer for up to one month.

Blend thawed cream cheese with a mixer to smooth out the lumps and grainy texture caused by freezing. This will help, but it won't return the cream cheese to its original creamy state. However, the taste and texture are fine for use in casseroles and most baking recipes.

Read more: Can You Freeze Cream Cheese? | eHow.com Can You Freeze Cream Cheese? | eHow.com

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Martian and Tilly, a month wouldn't do it for me..... ;0 ] You can keep it in the fridge longer than that.................... Ann
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
That's interesting... I buy cheese in bulk at Sam's Club and freeze it, I never thought about vacuum sealing it. It would be much more convenient to keep it fresh rather than freezing. Have you ever done that with regular cheddar, mozzarella or sliced cheese?
I LOVE my vacuum sealer (Food saver). I've had pieces of a 5lb Sam's club block sealed in the fridge for 4 months now and it looks good as new. (I keep getting great deals on smaller blocks with short dates so I end up using those up first). Second most useful purchase ever behind my deep freezer.

Last edited by SummerAnne; 06-29-2011 at 11:12 PM..
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerAnne View Post
I LOVE my vacuum sealer (Food saver). I've had pieces of a 5lb Sam's club block sealed in the fridge for 4 months now and it looks good as new. (I keep getting great deals on smaller blocks with short dates so I end up using those up first). Second most useful purchase ever behind my deep freezer.
Thanks, I do appreciate the help. I look forward to not having to try and find freezer space.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: island girl2
Stats: 225/196.2/150
WOE: starting juddd
Start Date: March 2010/restart sept. 2012/hcg apr 13
freezing cheese

I have frozen Tillamook medium cheddar in the 5 lb. blocks and when it is thawed the texture is the same - worked great.
The 5 lb. Kirkland brand (Costco) old cheddar when thawed was very crumbly.
island girl2 is offline   Reply With Quote