Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
Angel Food Cake??

Does anyone have a recipe for Angel Food Cake? I would preferably like one that uses Splenda (Not the Blend) or Truvia or Stevia in the Raw?

I would love to make an Angel Food Cake for my Birthday and serve it with some whipped cream and berries, but I only found 1 recipe in the recipe section and it called for soy flour which I do not own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Kimmy Kardashian's Pound Cake in 2 Minutes makes a perfect base for strawberry shortcake. After much discussion it's been decided microwaving in plastic is not a good idea. I quadruple the recipe and microwave it in an 8X8 glass dish sprayed with Pam. I nuke it for 4 minutes. It's the texture of those store-bought round shortcakes - very light and has absolutely no "funny" taste of some low-carb cakes. Incidentally, 2 tablespoons of cream cheese equals 1 ounce. Here's a copy of her post.

Pound cake in 2 minutes!
Hi guys Im not sure if this has been discussed before but i think i stumbled on a delishios low carb snack Totally legal if your not on induction

You will need

*a cool whip bowl(Perfect size for this cake)
*2 tablespoons splenda
*one tablspoon butter
*2 tablespoons cream cheese
*one egg
*teaspoon baking powder
*teaspoon vanilla
*half teaspoon lemon extract
*pinch salt
*1/4 cup almond flour or almond meal
make sure the butter and cream cheese are soft
throw all these things in the cool whip bowl whisk well and microwave for 2 minutes!

for a extra special treat as soon as this cake comes out the microwave be generous and pour the sugar free mini choc chips on top and drizzle heavy cream over the chips and once everything cools down you will have a moist yellow cake with chocolate frosting!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I use Maria's recipe. It is not made like a traditonal angel food cake, but it tastes like one. I add 1 teaspoon glucomannan to help with the moistness. Also I use my own mix of sweeteners, and I make it sweeter. But it's a delicious cake. I have never made the glaze.
Angel Food Cake1 cup vanilla egg white or whey protein
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
5 large eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
7 tbsp Truvia (or Erytritol and 1 tsp stevia glycerite)
Glaze:2 oz heavy cream (or Unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract or lemon extract
3 oz cream cheese
Sweetener to taste (if desired)
Preheat oven to 300░F-150░C. Spray a Bundt pan with olive oil spray very well. Sift protein powder, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. In another bowl, beat egg yolks, sweetener, and vanilla. Beat in almond milk, and then beat in dry ingredients.
Fold into whites very carefully, and then spoon into a prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45 minutes, then let cool 10 minutes before inverting and removing (this is the tricky part, just do your best).
For the glaze, beat the cream, butter, cream cheese and vanilla (sweetener if desired) well. If this is too thick, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time. Drizzle over cooled cake. Makes 12-15 servings in a standard Bundt pan.

Per Serving: 114 Calories; 9g Fat; 3g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber
Posted by Maria Emmerich
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Wow! Can't wait to try this! So simple it seems!
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Individual Angegl Food Cake

I've not tried to make a large one, but I do have a good recipe for an Individual Angel food Cake. I'm not so fond of Angel Food Cake, so I doubt I'll experiment on a large version of this:

Angel Food Cake is not my personal favorite when it comes to cake, but many low-carbers like them and have asked for a good recipe. I’ve hunted all over the net these last two years for a decent low-carb version, but the only two I’ve found and tried were awful. In fact, the base recipe I used as inspiration for this was awful: dense, not very white inside and fell to half its height when it cooled. But I totally changed it up with a different flour substitute, added a bit of leavening besides the egg whites themselves (which is all the original recipe used for leavening) and VOIL└! A cute little, tasty, respectable version of the real thing. It was white inside, spongy as expected, not too sweet and did NOT fall when it cooled! It also sliced nicely once cooled for the potential of adding a frosting layer, or for serving open-faced for fruit shortcakes. If you really want to cut the carbs in this, just eat one lateral slice (half has only 2.27 net carbs!). These are not acceptable until the grains rung of OWL.

Those accustomed to substituting liquid sweetener to cut carbs, that might be tricky in an angel food cake, which is mostly egg white and very little flour. I think the granular Splenda may be essential to assist in the rising and “grabbing” of the side walls of the cake pan myself. If you try that substitution, the cake could fail to “hang on” to the pan and not rise at all or possibly fall before it even comes out of the oven. Please post back how that goes it you try that. I’d be curious to know your results. Also, substituting in heavier-by-volume low-carb "flour" substitutes is not recommended as I just couldn't predict your results with heavier nuts, coconut flour, flax. Maybe, and I emphasize maybe, whey protein is light enough to consider experimentation with here.

Here's what it looks like on the inside:

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 c. Carbquick bake mix, sifted
1/3 c. granular Splenda
Pinch salt
4 egg whites
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. almond extract

DIRECTIONS: Grease two individual angel food pans with spray or a dab of butter or coconut oil and set aside. Mine are Wilton brand angel food cake pans with the lift-out insert I found at Hobby Lobby in the cake decorating area. They hold about 1 cup of batter, so if you don’t have the type of pan I used, an extra large muffin cup may work for you. You’ll just have to try that out, as I really don’t know for sure.

Now back to the cake itself. Preheat oven to 350║. Sift the Carbquick into a bowl (assist a bit with your fingers in the sieve as is won’t sift like real flour). Discard all the bits of fat collected in the sieve. Add Splenda and salt to the Carbquick, stir and set this aside for a few moments. In another clean, dry medium bowl beat the egg whites (with a pinch of cream of tartar if you like) until they will make peaks that stand up when you lift the beaters up out of them but are not really stand straight up yet, known as soft peaks. Place the sifter over the egg white bowl and pour a couple tablespoons of the dry ingredients through the sifter, letting it fall onto the egg whites. Fold into the egg whites carefully, so as to not deflate the whites (though they will deflate some). Repeat sifting small amounts of dry ingredients over the whites until all has been slowly folded in. Dribble the extract over the whites and fold that in as well. Do not overwork the batter! Gently pour into the two greased pans, scraping every little bit of batter out of your bowl. Try to divide the batter as equally between the two as you can. Set the mini pans onto a baking pan and bake at 350║ for about 20-24 minutes. Ovens vary, but do not open oven until you’re at at least 20 minutes I would think, lest the draft causes them to fall on you. Angel food cakes are very touchy that way. Remove from oven and totally cool before attempting to loosen and remove from pan. Serve as is, or sliced laterally with fruit and whipped cream on top, or with your favorite sauce or frosting.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes two mini cakes. Each cake contains:

73 calories
.1 fat (This assumes you got most of the fat chunks out of the Carbquick)
12.55 carbs, 7 g fiber, 5.55 NET CARBS
10.2 g protein
436 mg sodium

BTW, for the curious, I found my individual Angel-Food pans at Hobby Lobby in the Wilton Cake Decorating area.

Last edited by buttoni; 11-15-2011 at 05:35 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
bumping
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I missed this.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I missed this.
Thanks for bumping. My DH loves angel food cake and was asking the other day if there is a way to make it low carb.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Me Too. Your Welcome.

I found Peggy's but I don't use carbquick. So I'm going to try Maries.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-20-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I bet Marie's would be good as I think anything you bake using protein powder has an angel food cake texture to it...That is why I don't seem to care for bread recipes with PP...but angel food cake would probably be great.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
"Angel Food Cake"
Ingredients:
10 Egg Whites (from XL Eggs)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/4 tsp Cream Of Tartar
1/2 tsp Almond Flavoring
1/2 tsp Vanilla Flavoring
1/2 cup Unflavored Whey Protein
1/2 cup Barley Flour
1 cup Splenda (whizzed in the coffee grinder to make it more like confectioner's sugar)
3/4 cup Splenda (just out of the box)

Preheat oven to 375.

1. Beat the egg whites and the salt on high spead until just frothy.
2. Add the cream of tartar and flavorings and beat until soft peaks (don't overbeat ... it could make the cake dry and crumbly)
3. Add 1 cup of (whizzed) Splenda (a little at the time) and continue beating until well incorporated.
4. In a seperate bowl sift together the remaining splenda, whey protein and barley flour. It is best to sift it about 3 times.
5. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over your egg whites and fold with a spatula. Continue until all the flour mix is well incorporated.
6. Pour into an ungreased Angelfood pan. Once all the batter is in there shake the pan a LITTLE to settle the dough and release any airblubbles.
7. Bake for around 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
After taking your pan out of the oven, invert it (upside down) on a plate or the counter top and let it cool this way.
8. Once cooled the cake will come out quite easily.

*I used Whey Protein Isolate

For pound cake***
I do everything as above but instead of an angelfood pan I use just an ordinary rectangle cake pan.

Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

LOL Tater that one looked promising until I got the barley flour. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Sub
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote