Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/725313-chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole.html)

Dottie 06-19-2011 05:10 AM

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

This came about because DH hates white meat chicken and I wanted to use the tenderloins I'd taken out :)

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
1 lb Chicken Tenderloins
1/2 lb Boneless Cooked Ham
1/2 lb Swiss Cheese
1/2 cup Half-n-half
1 tsp garlic powder* (optional)
2 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 Egg
1 ea salt and pepper

Dice chicken, ham and cheese and toss together in an oven safe 9" square casserole. (next time I will salt and pepper the chicken as well as the sauce mixture).
Beat the egg and blend well into the half and half with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Microwave cream cheese until melted then stir into the half and half and egg mixture.
Pour over the chicken, ham and cheese, stir to coat then pat down evenly.
Bake at 350 for approx 40 minutes until the chicken has cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
*The egg is just to help thicken the sauce, you can leave it out, the sauce should thicken enough without it. Since I used it, I'm including it.

For 1/4 of the dish: 497 cals; 32g fat; 2.3g carbs; 52g protein
For 1/6 of the dish: 331cals; 21.25g fat; 1.53g carbs; 34.73g protein

Jennifer Eloff 06-19-2011 05:18 AM

I had to go look up chicken tenderloins. :blush: Can you buy those little things? Or, do you simply mean pieces of chicken that are small?

This is a great idea - to put this fabulous meal in casserole form. I like that it is no fuss and easy.

Dottie 06-19-2011 05:29 AM

Use boneless skinless breasts :)

piratewoman 06-19-2011 05:32 AM

Dottie thanks for the recipe, I am going to make this for tomorrow night's dinner.

LindaSue 06-19-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 14751594)
I had to go look up chicken tenderloins. :blush: Can you buy those little things? Or, do you simply mean pieces of chicken that are small?

Yes, you can buy them. They call them chicken tenders. I think that they are actually more tender than regular chicken breasts and don't come out quite as tough and stringy if you over cook them a little.

Deb 06-19-2011 03:27 PM

I have a 20lb turkey roasting for tonights dinner

im going to make this with leftover turkey ..:)

jigglenomore 06-19-2011 07:59 PM

Yummmm-meeeee!! :clap:

Dottie 06-20-2011 05:55 AM

I'm thinking that a touch (maybe 1/2 a teaspoon) of dijon mustard in the 1/2&1/2 would really add a nice undertone to it.

Jentastic 06-20-2011 06:07 AM

Yesss I love you so much. I can't wait to try this!

LindaSue 06-20-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14753581)
I'm thinking that a touch (maybe 1/2 a teaspoon) of dijon mustard in the 1/2&1/2 would really add a nice undertone to it.

Funny you should say that, Dottie, because I was thinking the same thing after I printed out the recipe yesterday.

SHinOK 06-20-2011 08:26 AM

That sounds great, Dottie! I've avoided making Cordon Bleu just because of the hassle of pounding the chicken, etc. But this--I can handle! :clap:

Thanks for posting!

SHinOK 06-21-2011 07:17 AM

Made this last night for dinner. Only tweaks were that i only had cream (no half-and-half), and I added spicy brown mustard (had no dijon). AND I added salt and pepper to the chicken/ham mixture, as Dottie suggested.

My family LOVED this stuff! Their only whine was that it didn't have the crispy coating like regular cordon bleu, but maybe next time I can make a topping out of almond flour and parmesan (or something) to give it a bit of crunch on top.

Dottie, this was really tasty, and I'm having it for lunch today. Honestly, I was afraid my kids would snarf up the whole thing last night, but I got lucky. :laugh:

Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

Dottie 06-21-2011 08:20 AM

Glad you liked it:)

Jennifer Eloff 06-21-2011 06:58 PM

Thanks, Linda. Thanks, Dottie. :)

fourstubbs 06-23-2011 10:13 AM

Dottie~ This sounds delicious! I have everything but the swiss. Look forward to trying it! :)

TButter 12-03-2012 10:50 AM

Late entry here...so I have a questions on the "Dice chicken, ham and cheese and toss together in an oven safe 9" square casserole". Do i need to pre-cook the chicken before cooking in the oven? I am always afraid of serving undercooked chicken. Thanks for the recipe.

Dottie 12-03-2012 11:34 AM

No, 40 minutes is sufficient to cook the diced chicken. You can used cooked but it may be tough from overcooking :)

LindaSue 02-10-2013 12:02 PM

I made this today with a couple of minor tweaks. I didn't add an egg and I used a whole 8 ounce package of cream cheese. I also added some seasonings to the sauce mixture. The chicken came out perfectly cooked in 40 minutes. It's a wonderful recipe and so easy to make. I will make this again many times, I'm sure. Thanks, Dottie!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...casserole2.jpg

Yaz 02-10-2013 07:42 PM

Yummy! This looks great!

I think I'll use smoked turkey breast in place of the ham. I really hate swiss cheese, I wonder if I could just use mozzarella?

Dottie 02-10-2013 08:05 PM

Yaz I've made it with provolone, I guess any cheese you really like that has some flavor would do:)

roxysmum 02-14-2013 08:14 AM

where do you get boneless cooked ham from? the only thing I think of is a huge spiral ham...

LindaSue 02-14-2013 09:17 AM

It's a little carby, but Walmart has Farmland ham cubes in a pouch. But, I got a super deal on some spiral sliced ham scraps, also made by Farmland, but from a different store. They had 1 1/2 pound packages of bits and pieces for only 59-cents! Not 59-cents a pound, but 59-cents TOTAL! I really hit the jackpot that day and bought two packages. I would have bought all that they had but I wasn't sure how good it would be. It turned out to be really good ham but in very odd sized pieces. It's great for recipes though.

janetsbreeze 02-14-2013 09:24 AM

I'm subbing to make this!

Strawberry 02-14-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

where do you get boneless cooked ham from? the only thing I think of is a huge spiral ham
You can also go to any deli counter and ask them to slice you off a 1/2 inch slab of whatever ham you prefer, instead of finely slicing it for sandwiches.

If you dont mind buying more ham, they do sell little precooked hams about 2 lbs in size... they are usually located with larger hams in the raw meats case.

coffeegirl 02-14-2013 09:45 AM

Subbing so I can make! :jumpjoy:

Dottie 02-14-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16259176)
You can also go to any deli counter and ask them to slice you off a 1/2 inch slab of whatever ham you prefer, instead of finely slicing it for sandwiches.

That's what I do, too :) They usually ask how you want it sliced and I tell them 1 pound sliced in about 3 pieces (makes the perfect dice thickness, to me).

Brendajm 02-14-2013 12:51 PM

I make this by layering the deli ham and cheese on top of the chicken, I dont add any half and half or creamcheese and just top with slices of bacon and bake, yum yum

Strawberry 02-15-2013 10:15 AM

I made my version of this last night!

I made a sauce from mixing chicken broth, cream, and xanthum gum until thickened and reduced. Then I took it off the heat and stirred in shredded swiss cheese and a little bit of parmesan cheese. Then I added a dollop of dijon mustard, several shakes of worcestershire sauce, and fresh tarragon.

I then sautted an onion with deli sliced ham cut into ribbons (I didnt have any slabs of ham, so I just used what I had in the frig). And I chopped up rotisserie chicken pieces.

I put the onion, ham, and chopped up rotisserie chicken into a casserole dish. Poured the sauce on top and baked until bubbling.

I wanted a crunchy top. So while it was baking, I made a bunch of parmesan crisps in the microwave. Then I crushed them up in a plastic bag. I sprinkled the crushed parmesan chips on top of the casserole when I took it out to let it cool.

I served this with roasted cauliflower, which was really yummy to dip in the cheesey sauce!

Definetly recommend adding a dollop of dijon to the sauce! The tarragon adds a really yummy flavor too!

catkan 02-15-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16259176)

If you dont mind buying more ham, they do sell little precooked hams about 2 lbs in size... they are usually located with larger hams in the raw meats case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16259326)
That's what I do, too :) They usually ask how you want it sliced and I tell them 1 pound sliced in about 3 pieces (makes the perfect dice thickness, to me).

I never would have thought of this! Thank you for this.

I am going to try this recipe this weekend.

Jebber 02-17-2013 01:25 PM

I just tried this recipe last night. Amazing! It appears to be a very versitile recipe. I added onion salt, lemon pepper and parsley to the chicken mixture. I only had heavy cream, so I used 1/4 C and add water and white wine to make 1/2 cup. I used a combo of mozzeralla and swiss. OMG! Definately a keeper. I have enough ham and cheese left so I'm going to make another one for the freezer.