Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Almond Meal versus Almond Flour

Hi LC cooks! Do any of you know how the meal and flour differ in terms of nutritional profile, and if it's standardized across brands?

I know of a company that sell the 5 lb bags of "almond flour" that seem to be defatted, which makes it perform differently from the "meal" you make yourself in recipes. Are the NOW and Bob's Red Mill "almond flours" also processed in this way, or are they just ground up almonds?

If someone has already discussed the differences between the two, please share the link! Also, nutritional info (fat grams, carbs) for them would be helpful. There might be a thread on LCF addressing this... TIA!

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think most times people refer to almond flour it's the same thing as almond meal, the almond ground finely. I am not familiar with the defatted product, but that probably makes it significantly carbier by weight, right?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Lauren, the NOW is ground almonds, not deskinned nor defatted - according to the nutri info on Netrition, 1/4 cup is 145 cals, 4 carbs and 3 of fiber.

Bob's Red Mill is blanched, and 1/4 cup is 160 cals, 6 carbs, and 3 fiber.

Not sure how others compare, you might want to check at nuts online and honeyville grain and see how theirs stack up.

I love the Honeyville myself. It is fluffy and light and gives wholly different results than the Trader Joe's ground almonds I used to use.

HTH!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Lauren, the NOW is ground almonds, not deskinned nor defatted - according to the nutri info on Netrition, 1/4 cup is 145 cals, 4 carbs and 3 of fiber.

Not sure how others compare, you might want to check at nuts online and honeyville grain and see how theirs stack up.

I love the Honeyville myself. It is fluffy and light and gives wholly different results than the Trader Joe's ground almonds I used to use.

HTH!!
Char, thank you for your awesome info! The Honeyville was what I was referring to. Do you have the nutrition facts on that product? I suspect it's defatted somehow... what do you think?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
Lauren, I am with Char on the Honeyville product, it makes an enormous difference. Here is the description from their website:

Honeyville's Blanched Almond Flour, or Blanched Almond Meal, is a great way to cook with limited carbohydrate intake. Our Almond Flour is tested and certified to be Gluten Free. But what is blanched almond flour? Blanched Almond Flour is quite simply almonds (which have had their dark skin removed) that are milled into a fine flour. With a fraction of the carbs of wheat flour, almond flour provides a hearty flavor and consistency without adding all of those empty calories. Chock full of protein and dietary fiber, almond flour works well in a wide array of recipes. Blanched Almond Flour is great as a base in cakes, puddings, muffins, and as a thickener. Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour is 100% Pure Almonds, with no additional ingredients added. The taste and texture are phenomenal. Made from blanched almonds (almonds that have had their skin removed), pressed into fine particles, our almond flour adds color, texture, richness, flavor, body, and binds ingredients in baking applications. For natural almond flour which is darker due to the skin of the almond, try our Honeyville Natural Almond Flour. You can purchase Honeyville Almond Flour online, or buy Almond Flour in the Los Angeles area, buy Almond Flour in Salt Lake City, Utah, and buy Almond Flour in the Riverside, California area. Prices vary by location.

Almond Flour is also known as Almond Meal, Almond Powder, Ground Almonds, Nut Powder, or Nut Meal.

Almond Flour is not subjected to any chemical or steam treatments. The only process that occurs, other than milling, is that Blanched Almonds go through a hot water bath to remove the skins. Rest assured that with Honeyville Almond Flours, you are gettting great tasting, additive-free product.
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Gadget Gal

OK, just for YOU....

Drug out my bag and it says:

Serving size - 28 g

Calories 160
Protein 6 g
Total Fat 14 g
Carbs 6 g
Fiber 3 g

Ingredients: Almond flour - certified gluten free

Doesn't say anything about defatted on it anywhere that I can see.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Oh! Good info too, Christyjo - now Lauren has as much info as she can get about H'ville!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I use almond meal, i.e. I grind up sliced almonds (in my coffee grinder) which have a titch of skin on the edges. I suspect one would get a slightly drier outcome with the defatted almond flour and a lighter texture vs almond meal. Sometimes one has to make adjustments in a recipe when using one vs the other.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I have been grinding my own blanched almonds in the food processor for years, but I discovered that grinding them as needed in the coffee grinder gives me a finer flour. I would love to compare this to the Honeyville Grains almond flour. Has anyone done a test on home-ground vs Honeyville?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh! Good info too, Christyjo - now Lauren has as much info as she can get about H'ville!
Yes, thank you so much Christjo and Char and Jennifer! I guess it's just the fine consistency that makes it perform differently from almond flour you make at home. I've tried making some of Elana's recipes from Elana's pantry, and they've all turned out greasy and soggy using honey and a sub for agave. She says that Bob's Red Mill and homemade almond flours don't work - only Honeyville's. I thought it was due to reduced fat content in the Honeyville, but perhaps it's H2O content from the hot water bath or drying process.

You guys are convincing me that I just need to break down and order a bag.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
Gadget Gal

You'll never turn back when you try it!

Actually the stuff from the Nuts Online folks is quite good too. It's quite comparable to the HG stuff. I get it from HG though, because it's a 5 pound bag, and a bit less expensive than buying it a pound at a time from NO.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I just ordered a bag from HG -- can't wait to try it after all the kudos!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
I will also add to the Honeyville testimony LOL. I usually buy Bob's Red Mill because my local grocery carries it (5 mins away). I ordered Honeyville grain for my mom a few months ago after telling her how much people like it (having never tried it myself).

She makes one of the LC coffee cake recipes, and I've had it with the Bob's Red Mill almond flour. Good. Definitely had more of a low carb taste/texture.

She made it with Honeyville's flour the last time we visited, and it was like a different cake. Texture/crumb was 10x better IMO. Really remarkable! It would be passable as a non LC item IMO. After that I was sold LOL. I hadn't ordered it only because I just end up throwing Bob's in my cart locally, but I am totally convinced now.

I am not a huge fan of subbing the meal. It works well for some things IMO but in a lot of baked goods I didn't like the texture.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I just wrote this on another thread re Honeyville on 7/4: "Be sure to sign up for their newsletter. Sometimes they have 10% off online purchases for X-days."

Today I got and email re 10% off of your whole online order, 7/7-7/12. Coupon code is FREEDOM.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Yes, thank you so much Christjo and Char and Jennifer! I guess it's just the fine consistency that makes it perform differently from almond flour you make at home. I've tried making some of Elana's recipes from Elana's pantry, and they've all turned out greasy and soggy using honey and a sub for agave. She says that Bob's Red Mill and homemade almond flours don't work - only Honeyville's. I thought it was due to reduced fat content in the Honeyville, but perhaps it's H2O content from the hot water bath or drying process.

You guys are convincing me that I just need to break down and order a bag.
I use Honeyville for some things and TJ's Almond Meal for others. Just depends. Elana has several recipes I want to try, however, she uses agave as her sweetener of choice and I am apprehensive to try them with my own sweetener (stevia/erythritol). So, if you figure out how to sub out the agave, I would be so thankful!!!! I do use her recipe for Pizza Crust and actually like it better with unblanched almond flour (as opposed to the Honeyville she recommends) --- the nuttier taste goes well with a cracker/flatbread type crust.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

I've substituted SF honey and SF maple syrup (I like Joseph's) for agave in recipes.

There are two SF honeys that I know of - one is made with maltitol, the other with xylitol. I wanted so badly to like the xylitol one but it was gloopy, nasty stuff, so I still use the maltitol one.

Joseph's is maltitol based as well. I can tolerate maltitol products in limited amounts, YMMV.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Quote:
I've substituted SF honey and SF maple syrup (I like Joseph's) for agave in recipes.

There are two SF honeys that I know of - one is made with maltitol, the other with xylitol. I wanted so badly to like the xylitol one but it was gloopy, nasty stuff, so I still use the maltitol one.

Joseph's is maltitol based as well. I can tolerate maltitol products in limited amounts, YMMV.
I have the Global Smart Xylitol Honey. I use it in a BBQ Sauce recipe and it tastes just fine in the sauce. The consistency of it is not like honey, that is for sure, but in a recipe it lends the sweetness needed and not necessarily a "honey" flavor. I ordered another bottle of the Xylitol Honey the other day, only am trying the Nature's Hollow brand to see if there is a difference. I will have to try this in an Elana recipe and see how they turn out.

Any recipes floating around to make our own honey with erythritol and stevia?
I eat right, I exercise, I look good, I feel good, I weigh exactly what God wants me to weigh.
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:

HTH!!
Interesting, because I am buying mine from TJ's now. I will use up what I have and look at their site.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I just got my Honeyville Grain almond flour. Right away I could tell the difference just by tasting it -- much more fine and not oily/sticky. I made Barbo's Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake this afternoon for our guests and everyone raved! Diana
Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I've had great success with almond meal in my gluten-free low-carb bake mix. I have no choice but to make my own. I can't buy almond flour locally and to get shipped is awfully expensive. I can't afford it. I have ordered some Honeyville almond flour just to see what a difference it would make and so that I can pass on the knowledge to others, because many will be using almond flour rather than almond meal in my bake mix.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, the almond meal (and your low carb baking mix) works wonderfully in recipes like cookies and quick breads. I think I prefer it for those applications. after receiving and trying the almond flour, I think I will save it for finer textured cakes and baking where I want a more refined, smooth outcome. there's a place for both! BTW, thank you for all of your wonderful recipes and help over the years! Diana