Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Lemon Ice Cream (Gluc style) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/723731-lemon-ice-cream-gluc-style.html)

Phos4us 06-03-2011 02:16 PM

Lemon Ice Cream (Gluc style)
 
We got a new ice cream maker a few days ago and the kids and I have been experimenting with some low carb ice creams.

The chocolate one was totally out of the ball park, kind of like Chocolate Haagen Dasz meets Chocolate Mousse. Way too yummy actually :annoyed:

But I digress. Today we made Lemon Ice cream and I used the glucomannan to thicken it a bit and also to see if it affects freezing properties adversely or the mouth feel.

I'm happy to report that it worked REALLY well and the ice cream is VERY yummy! Much like the Haagen Dasz Five Lemon ice cream. Well that's how I remember it anyway.
The beauty is that I didn't have to cook a custard base and cool it down etc, so it's much faster too!

http://theazkerrs.com/Recipepics/icecream.jpg

Here it goes:

2 cups of heavy cream
1 cup of buttermilk (optional but gives a nice fresh taste, could also use CC milk)
1 envelope of cool aid unsweetened lemonade powder
about 4 truvia packages (more or less to taste)
1 drop of Fiori di Sicilia flavoring (optional - it's a combination of citrus and vanilla flavoring, but it rounds it out nicely)
a little bit of fresh lemon zest (also optional, especially if you don't like "bits" in your ice cream)
1.5 capsules of gluc
3 tbsp water with a squirt of lemon juice *

(*note that you could also use lemon sugar free syrup instead of the water and lemon juice, but remember to adjust the truvia/sweetener amount accordingly)

In a heat proof mug or cup, stir together the gluc powder, water and the lemon juice (or Lemon SF syrup if using) Stire until it's mixed in thoroughly. Microwave for 10 seconds on high, take out, stir thoroughly (it will have thickened a bit) then nuke for another 10 seconds or so, stirring it up again.

Now add all the other ingredients to a bowl and stir together, adding the gluc lemon gel last, whisking it in thoroughly. Taste test to adjust your sweeteners.

Process in your ice cream maker according to instructions!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's really refreshing and yummy and creamy and probably because of the gluc, the portion sizes limit themselves :rofl:

1/2 cup serving has about 3g of carbs, always depending on your own ingredients of course!

I'm sure the above recipe would work for any other fruity flavor of ice cream. Just change the cool aid flavor, the syrup flavor and omit the zest and that should work just fine :)


Birgit

rosethorns 06-03-2011 02:55 PM

That sounds amazing. I just have to find gluc.

Phos4us 06-03-2011 02:58 PM

I got the capsules at our local health food store as netrition was out until today and I just couldn't wait lol

rosethorns 06-03-2011 03:26 PM

Thanks for telling me that. I thought the capsules didn.t work as well. I lived in Avondale for 4 years and you have Sprouts. I'm so jealous. I love Sprouts.

Soobee 06-03-2011 03:57 PM

Phos4us, would you please post your recipe for chocolate ice cream?

CarolynF 06-03-2011 03:58 PM

Sounds great....but where is chocolate recipe..??

I have been using glycerine in my ice cream, but it would be nice to use the gluc powder and still have a nice smooth product. So, you only use 1 1/2 capsules??

Great chocolate minds think alike, Soobee

Phos4us 06-03-2011 04:46 PM

The Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
 
I didn't write the chocolate one down (that's why I didn't post it) I just sort of winged it. Here's remembering as best I can. And I didn't have the gluc yet, so I was using the custard base and guar gum.
I'm thinking of trying it without heating and just with more gluc powder and see if that still comes out nice!

3 C. heavy/whipping cream (divided)
2 cups Calorie Countdown Milk (divided)
1/2 cup Erythritol
Truvia to taste, probably 4 or so little packs
1/2 tsp guar gum
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp Double Dutch Dark Cocoa Powder (this stuff packs a punch on the chocolate flavor)
1.5 tbsp Nesquick no sugar added chocolate milk mix

Mix 2 cups of cream, 1 cup of milk, erythritol, truvia, guar gum, cocoa powder and nesquick with a whisk until all the lumps are dissolved. Then add to a double boiler and heat.
Separate eggs and in a small bowl, whisk the yolks, then add about a 1/4 of a cup of the hot mix to the eggs and stir quickly (tempering the eggs so they don't curdle) Once that's done, add the egg mix to the double boiler and heat it all through under constant stirring. The mix will thicken a bit to a thin custard consistency.
Transfer into a cool bowl, or if you did this in a water bath, set your bowl with the custard mix on ice and stir. We're trying to cool it down now.
Add the remaining cream and milk and stir in evenly. Now you can transfer the mix to the refrigerator to cool down completely.
Once cooled, process in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
And that's it :)

The carb count on this is about 4-5g net carbs per 1/2 cup serving!

=================================================

Birgit

Phos4us 06-03-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 14708080)
So, you only use 1 1/2 capsules??

Great chocolate minds think alike, Soobee

Yes, the gluc is new to me. I was being cautious :laugh: It can probably stand more, but I didn't want to over do it.

I'll build up slowly :rofl:

Phos4us 06-03-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 14708016)
I love Sprouts.

Me too! That's where I got them :kicking:

Nigel 06-03-2011 05:11 PM

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but you used 1.5 gluc capsules. Do you know how many mg that would be?

Phos4us 06-03-2011 05:24 PM

My bottle says, they are 665 mg per capsule :)

drjlocarb 06-03-2011 06:01 PM

The caps I have are about 1/4 T. each.

Did the ice cream stay scoopable the next day? (If it lasted that long.)

Phos4us 06-03-2011 06:15 PM

The chocolate one solidified quite a big, but was still scoopable right out of the freezer the next day ... even though it required a little more elbow grease.

The lemon one is a tad more "crumbly" straight out of the freezer the next day, but a few minutes on the counter make it smooth and scoopable again. We just had some for dessert after dinner and the kids are still all over it, so it's all good :)

Has anyone tried dissolving the gluc in cream? Or milk? I'm wondering if that would take care of the crumbling, as that would eliminate the extra water and ice crystals that tend to make ice cream crumbly. Not that it's that bad really, just wondering!

Nigel 06-03-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos4us (Post 14708256)
My bottle says, they are 665 mg per capsule :)

Thank you so much.

drjlocarb 06-03-2011 06:56 PM

I have made pudding by adding gluc to almond milk. Don't know about crumbling.

Scoopability is important. Thanks.

jlp2009 06-04-2011 04:46 AM

Esther,
Netrition now carries gluc. if you don't mind waiting for it to arrive. They are quick though. I have always received my orders within a week.

Carolyn,
How much glycerine did you use? Somewhere on here I do remember a thread about
ice cream. Sorry, I'm lazy! I've been making LC ice cream custard type but it is really
hard right out of the freezer.

I still have a few gluc. capsules so I will try this lemon. Sounds really good. I will
probably use SF lemonade powder since that is what I have. My only question is, how
does the milk not curdle when the lemon juice is added?

Phos4us 06-04-2011 07:43 AM

Probably because it's only a squirt of lemon juice, so there is much more heavy cream (fat) content versus acidic content. Not using regular milk would probably have something to do with it too. And the fact that it's added to the gluc gel first. :)

mac24312 06-04-2011 09:18 AM

Subbing to make this summer! TY! :)

Phos4us 06-04-2011 10:19 AM

It also occurred to me that the addition of polydextrose would probably help the mouthfeel/crumbling in this. I will try it again once my polydextrose arrives and will report back.

1annewil 06-27-2011 11:08 AM

I just made your lemon ice cream this morning and it is very good. I added 1 T glycerin and 2 egg yolks. Very creamy and delish-Thanks.

Phos4us 06-27-2011 11:12 AM

Yes, I've found that the addition of glycerin really helps the "crumbling" issue (I added 2 Tbsp of Glycerine and 1/4 tsp lecithin!) It also stays scoopable straight out of the freezer that way!
Glad you enjoyed it!

jlatislaw 06-27-2011 04:35 PM

This looks really good! 4 pkts. Truvia= 8 t. sugar. That seems like so little for the lemon flavoring. Is it actually sweet?

Phos4us 06-27-2011 04:43 PM

I just checked my package stash and I used purevia (I always get the two confused) ... not sure if they are sweeter. Those packages are pretty sweet to me, but you can always use more if you like it sweeter :) I tend to do lemony things on the tarter side, so this may be too little for others.

Beeb 06-27-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos4us (Post 14708346)
The chocolate one solidified quite a big, but was still scoopable right out of the freezer the next day ... even though it required a little more elbow grease.

The lemon one is a tad more "crumbly" straight out of the freezer the next day, but a few minutes on the counter make it smooth and scoopable again. We just had some for dessert after dinner and the kids are still all over it, so it's all good :)

Has anyone tried dissolving the gluc in cream? Or milk? I'm wondering if that would take care of the crumbling, as that would eliminate the extra water and ice crystals that tend to make ice cream crumbly. Not that it's that bad really, just wondering!

This is where food grade glycerin comes in. It helps ice cream to stay "scoopable and creamy". I just found a giant bottle for $6.00 at an Amish Whole Foods type place!

Phos4us 06-27-2011 06:55 PM

Yep, I use it usually, as well as lecithin, but I didn't have any when I made those two batches :)

1annewil 06-27-2011 07:56 PM

I did put 1/3 c equivalent of liquid splenda in mine today. It needed a sweet boost. It is very good.

GME 06-27-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phos4us (Post 14708171)
I didn't write the chocolate one down (that's why I didn't post it) I just sort of winged it. Here's remembering as best I can. And I didn't have the gluc yet, so I was using the custard base and guar gum.
I'm thinking of trying it without heating and just with more gluc powder and see if that still comes out nice!3 C. heavy/whipping cream (divided)
2 cups Calorie Countdown Milk (divided)
1/2 cup Erythritol
Truvia to taste, probably 4 or so little packs
1/2 tsp guar gum
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp Double Dutch Dark Cocoa Powder (this stuff packs a punch on the chocolate flavor)
1.5 tbsp Nesquick no sugar added chocolate milk mix

Mix 2 cups of cream, 1 cup of milk, erythritol, truvia, guar gum, cocoa powder and nesquick with a whisk until all the lumps are dissolved. Then add to a double boiler and heat.
Separate eggs and in a small bowl, whisk the yolks, then add about a 1/4 of a cup of the hot mix to the eggs and stir quickly (tempering the eggs so they don't curdle) Once that's done, add the egg mix to the double boiler and heat it all through under constant stirring. The mix will thicken a bit to a thin custard consistency.
Transfer into a cool bowl, or if you did this in a water bath, set your bowl with the custard mix on ice and stir. We're trying to cool it down now.
Add the remaining cream and milk and stir in evenly. Now you can transfer the mix to the refrigerator to cool down completely.
Once cooled, process in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
And that's it :)

The carb count on this is about 4-5g net carbs per 1/2 cup serving!

=================================================

Birgit

Well, what are you waiting for? :laugh: Get on this right away please. Lemony things are good and all, but chocolate is where its at.

Phos4us 06-27-2011 08:19 PM

:D I got side tracked by making blackberry promegranate frozen yogurt ice cream (2 cups of HWC, 1 cup of whole greek yogurt, 1 cup of Monin Syrup, 2 Tbsp glycerin, 1/2 tsp lecithin, 1/4 tsp gluc - mix well and process in ice cream maker) which is a HUGE hit with my family and they haven't asked for Chocolate again - they keep on asking for that one ;) Well that and snow cones ... since we got so hot (115 F) snow cones with sugar free syrup are a huge hit!

GME 06-27-2011 08:23 PM

Good night woman! Are you trying to ruin me??

That sounds divine!

Phos4us 06-27-2011 08:26 PM

Well, the snow cones are a calorie free treat! :rofl:
Night night!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 PM.