Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Decarbed Stawberry Pie

Servings (Help)

US
Metric Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 1 pie
Ingredients
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
1 quart fresh strawberries
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions
1.Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
2.In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving. In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.

I made this for lastnights dessert. Here are my changes.

Made the crust 1 and 1/2 cup Almond Flour, 1/2 cup Carbalose, 1 stick butter, and sweetener to taste. Bake for 20 minutes at 350

Cool the crust. For the sweetener, I used E and Splenda to make a cup worth of sweetness. Than I used Konjac powder to thicken sauce. Every thing else was the same. Made the whipped Cream in my Whipped Cream maker. Gosh it was good. Would make a perfect dessert for Memorial Day.

Julie

Last edited by SCOTTSDALEJULIE; 05-27-2011 at 11:46 AM..
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Sounds wonderful.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/150/162
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I have made this before using sf strawberry jello to hold the berries together. It was good.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I love fresh strawberry pie..

My latest recipe for the sticky berry part is : one envelope of unflavored gelatin..added to 1/2 cup of cold water, then 1/2 package of red koolaid, sweetener to taste, and about 1/4 cup of boiling water to melt everything down so the gelatin is melted..Then I pour it over the berries that have been arranged in the pie shell..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I love strawberry pie. I've made it with gums to thicken the sauce. Yours does sound great. I haven't gotten any konjac powder yet. We would love to see pics.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I am absolutely making a strawberry pie this week.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Next time I'm going to do the jello or gelatin method Thanks, guys
Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I would use the strawberry geletin method but what is a whipped cream maker? Yes, pictures please!!! It may even convince me to go to Wal Mart on a Sunday, gag for the shopping but YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's called and ISI Whipped Cream maker. You just put the cream in the container, your sweetener, and use a whippet and voila, whipped cream. I don't have a picture, but goggle ISI Whipped Cream Maker and you will find it. Julie
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE View Post
It's called and ISI Whipped Cream maker. You just put the cream in the container, your sweetener, and use a whippet and voila, whipped cream. I don't have a picture, but goggle ISI Whipped Cream Maker and you will find it. Julie
Do you have a picture of the finished pie?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I love strawberry pie. I've made it with gums to thicken the sauce. Yours does sound great. I haven't gotten any konjac powder yet. We would love to see pics.
I am not sure I want to purchase (yet another product) the konjac. Will the gums do for subbing in all recipes? And there was a recipe out there for a sub calling for equal amounts of the gums and powdered egg whites. Do you think this will work?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tilly, I don't know how to post pictures, and it's all gone now. I do think any of the gums would work. Or, try Carolyns method using gelatin.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes I know they work Tilly. You just have to get the hang of them so you don;t get slimy.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Does the konjac powder work differently from xanthan gum? Julie, strawberry pie sounds delish for a summer dessert. It's interesting to see how you replaced the cornstarch thickener!

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 05-30-2011 at 12:10 AM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
mmm, mmmm! Made a fresh strawberry pie today with almond crust. I went ahead and used 1 tlbs of cornstarch (7 carbs) anyway, and it was plenty; was going to supplement with gluccomanon but it wasn't necessary.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lauren, I wish I would have measured it, I just sprinkled until it was thick enough. Sorry. This was the first time I used it. Maybe others who have used it will pipe in . Julie

Last edited by SCOTTSDALEJULIE; 05-30-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Old 05-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Np, Julie! How does it work differently for you than xanthan? Does it firm up more like cornstarch with less of a gummy feel to it?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've become a big fan of the glucomannan, after a bit of trial and error I now know to use LESS, you can always add MORE; and to stir or whisk vigorously until it's incorporated.

I can't speak to other brands but the stuff from Konjac Foods works really well for me.
This is what I do, Char's the one who got me into this. and this is her quote.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Where do you get it? Do you order it online? Thanks for the info, Julie!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes on line Google Konjac.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lauren, a little info about it.
Use it as thickener
The most popular food thickener is the starch type thickener, such as cornstarch. Konjac glucomannan is a natural, odorless soluble fiber that is found in the konjac plant. The konjac glucomanan is the most viscosity food gum in nature. It has about ten times the viscosity than the cornstarch. Konjac glucomannan is also called konjac flour or konjac gum. Unlike the cornstarch, the konjac powder is the soluble fiber, which does not contain starch and sugar, it does not have calories.

Konjac flour can be used as a thickening agent in food application. When using konjac flour for thickening, always mix it with a small amount of liquid (cold water, stock, wine, etc.) till smooth, then add this mixture to the food that you want thickened. If you add konjac powder directly to your food you will end up with a lumpy mess. Konjac powder can be used as a thickener for smooth gravies, sauces, glazes, soups, stews and casseroles. It is also a thickener in pies, puddings, custards and cake fillings. This naturally odorless, vegetable powder is also gluten-free, making it the perfect substitute in cooking and baking when flour and other glutinous starches must be avoided.

Konjac powder doesn't thicken very much when mixed with cold water, but quickly thickens when it's heated. This is why you don't add dry konjac powder directly to hot liquids. It will seize and immediately turn into lumps because the konjac powder that contacts the water so quickly and fully absorbs the liquid before the adjacent konjac powder can. Mixing konjac powder with cold water allows it to absorb the water slow enough that it's easily and fully dissolved first. The dissolved konjac powder can then be added to a hot liquid to absorb it without lumping.

Konjac powder is an ingredient to thicken sauces and gravies or any other cooked recipe. To use konjac powder as a thickening agent, first disperse it in a little cold water or other "watery" ingredients such as soy sauce, and slowly add it (with constant stirring) to the other ingredients while they are cooking. About 1 teaspoon of konjac powder will gel about one cup of liquid. If you have not used konjac powder as a thickening agent before, it is best to experiment with it by beginning with lesser amounts, and adding as necessary until the desired consistency is reached.

Konjac powder has about ten times the thickening power of cornstarch. Dissolve the konjac powder in a little cold water before adding it to the sauce. Konjac flour thickens nicely when it's heated to boiling temperature, so it usually works well for savory sauces.

You could also use a konjac powder to thicken your broth - konjac powder is a very powerful thickener and does not add much taste