Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinLoCarb View Post
I did try the buttermilk marinade with pork chops. Amazing fall-off-the-bone pork chops. Who knew?!

Then tried the buttermilk marinade on two 2-lb eye of round roasts. Even though I poked through the meat with a skewer before putting it in with the buttermilk overnight, not too impressed with the results.

I have bought a new book, The Complete Meat Cookbook, by Aidells and Kelly. They say that meat producers, under pressure from health folks, have been raising meat to be leaner so that old recipes come out dry, hard, and juiceless. I haven't finished the book yet, but am feeling better about why my old tried-and-true recipes are not working anymore.
Can you tell me how long and on what temperature you did your pork chops? I'm not very good at anything but chicken and now that I LC, would love to do more than chicken.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LivinLoCarb
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: May 10, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Can you tell me how long and on what temperature you did your pork chops? I'm not very good at anything but chicken and now that I LC, would love to do more than chicken.
Okay. I did them in a slow cooker (aka crock pot). If you do choose to buy a crock pot, I think you will find that crock pot cooking is very simple and hard to get wrong. You can add a lot of variety to your diet by just using the few recipes in the user's guide. It is very nice to have a substantial meal ready and waiting at the end of the day.

Here's what I did:
  • about 1-2 cups buttermilk in a gallon ziploc bag
  • 6 lean pork chops
  • salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth (or follow directions on jar of chicken bouillon powder)
  • 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Place the pork chops in the buttermilk in the ziploc bag, zip closed, and place in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, take the pork chops out of the bag, rinse off the buttermilk, and pat dry.
- Brown the pork chops under the oven broiler about 6 inches from the heat, about 6-8 minutes on each side. Some chops have a fat rim and some don't, so if the chops start to curl up under the heat, pull them out, cut through the fat rim, and put them back under the heat so they will lie flat as they brown.
- Sprinkle the chops with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder on both sides.
- Mix the broth and vinegar in the bowl of the crock pot.
- Add the chops to the liquid in the crock pot.
- Cook 7-10 hours on Low.

The above may be more effort than you were planning. For your first effort, you might try the basic essentials:
- Soak 6 lean pork chops in buttermilk overnight.
- Rinse off the buttermilk in the morning.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chops.
- Place in crock pot. Add no liquid and the pork chops will brown just a little bit in the crock pot.

Last edited by LivinLoCarb; 08-27-2011 at 04:05 PM..
LivinLoCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinLoCarb View Post
Okay. I did them in a slow cooker (aka crock pot). If you do choose to buy a crock pot, I think you will find that crock pot cooking is very simple and hard to get wrong. You can add a lot of variety to your diet by just using the few recipes in the user's guide. It is very nice to have a substantial meal ready and waiting at the end of the day.

Here's what I did:
  • about 1-2 cups buttermilk in a gallon ziploc bag
  • 6 lean pork chops
  • salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth (or follow directions on jar of chicken bouillon powder)
  • 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Place the pork chops in the buttermilk in the ziploc bag, zip closed, and place in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, take the pork chops out of the bag, rinse off the buttermilk, and pat dry.
- Brown the pork chops under the oven broiler about 6 inches from the heat, about 6-8 minutes on each side. Some chops have a fat rim and some don't, so if the chops start to curl up under the heat, pull them out, cut through the fat rim, and put them back under the heat so they will lie flat as they brown.
- Sprinkle the chops with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder on both sides.
- Mix the broth and vinegar in the bowl of the crock pot.
- Add the chops to the liquid in the crock pot.

The above may be more effort than you were planning. For your first effort, you might try the basic essentials:
- Soak 6 lean pork chops in buttermilk overnight.
- Rinse off the buttermilk in the morning.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chops.
- Place in crock pot. Add no liquid and the pork chops will brown just a little bit in the crock pot.
You read my mind! Why leave out the broiling part? Won't that dry them out? I love just soak, rinse, and put into the crockpot.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LivinLoCarb
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: May 10, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
You read my mind! Why leave out the broiling part? Won't that dry them out? I love just soak, rinse, and put into the crockpot.
If you are up to doing the broiling, it will add nice color, flavor, and texture. In my mind, it is the broiling that has the potential to dry out the pork chops, but if you are able to "sear" then yes, searing should hold in the juices.

Edited to add: Come to think of it, I did leave some of my chops under the broiler a little too long, but that buttermilk soak kept those pieces juicy and falling-off-the-bone anyway.

Six Ingredients or Less Low-Carb Cooking: Low Carb Cooking by Carlean Johnson is a great cookbook for learning what's essential and what is not. Amazon has it.

Last edited by LivinLoCarb; 08-29-2011 at 07:33 AM..
LivinLoCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mishka68
Stats: 195/139/135 -- 5'1" tall (or short)
WOE: Low-carb, Gluten-free, Grain-free
Start Date: Since 2008 - started @ 195lbs.
subbing to this thread.
Mishka68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy_A
Stats: 400/400/250
WOE: Trying Dukan
Start Date: July 2, 2012
So glad I found this!
Tracy_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zulloc
Stats: (5' 1") 142/142/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 5/16/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinggrace911 View Post
Cookie

1/8 t. cinnamon
2 T. oat bran
1 T. skim milk
1 pkt splenda

mix together. Shape into cookie. Microwave on high for 1 minute
Thanks so much I have saved so many recipes from here. Just now I made some of these cookies and they were good. My little boys even liked them. I did sub the skim milk with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk, and I used pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon. I was in need of something crunchy and sweet. This did the trick.
zulloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuePro
WOE: Low Carb
subbing
SuePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
subscribing
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
I got to check out The Dukan Diet,sounds good.
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
honeybuns it is terrific. Here is a link to the current month... Lots of good links in the first few posts so you can see if it is right for you.
Jumpin' July, Batman! Dukan Thread makes it to another July!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

I saw a recipe for a quick crock pot chicken chili & thought I would make it...

My store was out of the Harvestland chicken breasts so I bought a whole roasting chicken (Harvestland brand)

I took it home & put it in slow cooker til it fell off the bones...deboned & removed the skin. Then into the juice remaining went the shredded chicken along with 1 heaping TBS of chili powder & also 1 TBSP cumen powder...gave it a quick stir & added a jar of Corn & Black Bean Salsa 3carbs for 3 TBS. Cooked on high for 2 hours. This is an awesome combination ! The chicken is 3x the volume of the salsa so per serving it is maybe 9 carbs... if you can only eat one serving....
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

PEPPERONI

Found this & thought I would share it... I am thinking a good way to get our own preservative free pepperoni.

I am thinking any good quality mineral salt would work & I am wondering if I can do this with turkey.... Hmmm... have a lb of turkey thawed I could make 1/2.....decisions decisions if I made 1/2 I would have wished I had made 2 lbs or 3 or 4 or 5.... I think I might pass til the craving subsides! GOT TO QUIT THINKING!

Home made beef pepperoni

Ingredients

2 lbs lean ground beef
2 tsp liquid smoke flavoring
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp mustard seed
1 1/2 or 2 tsp crushed fennel seed (optional)
1 or 2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika or cayenne
1/2 tsp sugar
2 heaping tsp Morton's Tender Quick salt
How to make it

Mix seasonings and meat thoroughly (use your hands).
Cover with foil or cling film and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.
Preheat oven to 200F
Roll meat into two long logs.
Use your broiler pan, or place a rack on a pan that can drain, on a cookie sheet and place the rolls on the rack.
Bake at 200 degrees for 8 hours.
Rotate logs every 2 hours.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zanjabil
Stats: 215/195/145
WOE: Ketosis/ mostly carnivorous
Start Date: 8/12/13 (again)
Bumping and subscribing
Zanjabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Cold frozen & healthy

I DID THIS TODAY & IT IS WAY GOOD....

Beat 1 sitck cream cheese & 1.5 cups thick milk kefir (could use 1/2 n 1/2 or milk) together in a good size bowl.

Disolve on pack SF Lemon Jello in a cup of boiling water then add ice cubes to come to 2 cups... stir til cubes disolved.

Combine both the jello & cream cheese mixture together.

Zest one lemon & one lime..... add to the mixture

Juice the rest of the lemon & lime...

Add 1/2 of the juice to the mixture

Add stevia til it tastes right...

Pour into your Cuisinart or similar frozen dessert machine.... Freeze

Yummmmmmmm!

Put the left over lemon & lime rinds & rest of the juice in a 1/2 gallon jar with filtered water... let set to flavor the water.... drink....

NOTHING GOES TO WASTE!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
faithful, did it freeze up solid? I am thinking this would make great popsicles.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Yes it froze real well... was hopeing it would be softer to spoon out but after letting it set out for about 5 minutes I could take some chunks out...let the chunks sit in the bowl a little more & it was excellent. I think it would lend itself to popsicles very well... as it set up so hard of course you coule use any complimentary fruit or juice for extra flavor. I was thinking one could use plain yougurt or greek style if kefir was not available. ... I really liked the flavor of this.

I made the kids some of "gramma's icecream sandwiches' by beating Jello Chocolate Mousse & adding about 1T honey, a heaping tsp cocoa powder & 1 1/2 c thick milk kefir. It set up firm but more like store bought icecream. Did well between cookies & frozen...I didnt have cones or it would have gone into them then frozen. This was the closest I have been able to come to a smooth firm yet not HARD frozen dessert.

My Cusinart makes wonderful frozen desserts but more than I want for a serving... trying to perfect something lower in carbs for my grankids that they can eat the next day... If I am totally successful will post what I did... til then the Jello Mousse is the closest for spooning.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #168
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
bumping.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote