Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   So close to being a big old southern style biscuit! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/720048-so-close-being-big-old-southern-style-biscuit.html)

Dottie 05-03-2011 04:40 PM

So close to being a big old southern style biscuit!

I used it to make a BLT but the taste and texture was so much like a southern style biscuit that I'm going to make a breakfast sandwich with them tomorrow!

Very simple:

2T (heaping) coconut flour. I do not know if it makes a difference, I used Bob's Red Mill High fiber from Netrition.
1 large egg (I used egglands best)
good pinch of salt
1/4tsp baking powder
2T water + I think I added about 1T more because the flour sucked it up.

In a microwave safe bowl about 3" diameter (pretty big!) :
Beat the egg and salt then add the water, mix and add the flour and baking powder until well blended and most of the lumps are gone. Let sit a few seconds and add more water if needed. You want it to look like a dough, not a batter.
Microwave for 1 minute 45 seconds until it looks dry and it's pulled away from the sides of the bowl.
Turn it out of the bowl and slice in half to make 2 equal thickness pieces and place on a rack to cool. You need air to circulate around them so they don't get soggy.
Use as you would a biscuit!

I was out of buttermilk but I would add 1T buttermilk and a pinch of baking soda to see how that turns out too :)

For the recipe it's approx: 130cals; 10g carbs; 6g fiber

Dottie 05-03-2011 04:41 PM

oops sorry my bowl is 3 1/2" diameter not 3"

Iwantlessofme 05-03-2011 05:59 PM

Sounds so simple. Now to just obtain some coconut flour...hmmm.

Thanks for the idea!

Mindy

Barbo 05-03-2011 07:00 PM

Dottie

That sounds interesting. I think I have a microwave safe
bowl about that size. Thanks for the recipe. I miss having
a southern biscuit and egg gravy...

Dottie 05-03-2011 08:07 PM

It was denser than a biscuit, I'm thinking buttermilk and baking soda will fix that though.

StyngerIsAScorpio 05-03-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 14615559)
That sounds interesting. I think I have a microwave safe
bowl about that size. Thanks for the recipe. I miss having
a southern biscuit and egg gravy...

What is egg gravy? I've never heard of that but I'm an egg fan :)

Beeb 05-03-2011 08:48 PM

OH!! A biscuit and SAUSAGE GRAVY!!!

YUMMY, Dottie, thanks!!!! :hugs::high5:

And I'm thinking about your buttermilk and baking soda idea: How about 1 tbs cream with 1/8 tsp vinegar and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking soda? Do you all think that would work in place of the buttermilk?

pooticus 05-04-2011 04:25 AM

Sounds great Dottie.

Egg gravy here was what Mom made when we were out of everything. She called it creamed eggs.

I think she just made a bechamel and added milk (cream/water) to it to thicken then added chopped egg white and then grated the yolk over each place once it was scooped up.

Is that how you make yours Dottie?

StyngerIsAScorpio 05-04-2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooticus (Post 14616181)
Sounds great Dottie.

Egg gravy here was what Mom made when we were out of everything. She called it creamed eggs.

I think she just made a bechamel and added milk (cream/water) to it to thicken then added chopped egg white and then grated the yolk over each place once it was scooped up.

Is that how you make yours Dottie?

I remember creamed eggs from when I was a kid! YUM! I was wondering if that's what it was. I love that idea over these biscuits!

Tilly 05-04-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14615177)
I used it to make a BLT but the taste and texture was so much like a southern style biscuit that I'm going to make a breakfast sandwich with them tomorrow!

Very simple:

2T (heaping) coconut flour. I do not know if it makes a difference, I used Bob's Red Mill High fiber from Netrition.
1 large egg (I used egglands best)
good pinch of salt
1/4tsp baking powder
2T water + I think I added about 1T more because the flour sucked it up.

In a microwave safe bowl about 3" diameter (pretty big!) :
Beat the egg and salt then add the water, mix and add the flour and baking powder until well blended and most of the lumps are gone. Let sit a few seconds and add more water if needed. You want it to look like a dough, not a batter.
Microwave for 1 minute 45 seconds until it looks dry and it's pulled away from the sides of the bowl.
Turn it out of the bowl and slice in half to make 2 equal thickness pieces and place on a rack to cool. You need air to circulate around them so they don't get soggy.
Use as you would a biscuit!

I was out of buttermilk but I would add 1T buttermilk and a pinch of baking soda to see how that turns out too :)

For the recipe it's approx: 130cals; 10g carbs; 6g fiber

Wow, so easy and sounds wonderful. Do you happen to have a picture? Thanks for sharing!

CarolynF 05-04-2011 03:36 PM

I need to try this..I bet it has a twinge of coconut taste, right, Dottie?

Dottie 05-04-2011 03:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very little coconut taste with the Bob's red mill one that's higher fiber than the time I tried it before. I hated the taste of the coconut flour before.

The 1st pic is to show the size, it's on a standard teacup plate.
The 2nd is to show how thick it is.

Dottie 05-04-2011 03:51 PM

Oh, that one I made with buttermilk and it could have used more water, the texture was dry but not bad.

StyngerIsAScorpio 05-04-2011 03:52 PM

Dottie, that looks soooooo good! There's no way you could tell its not a HC biscuit. It looks like the texture is dead on target! I can't wait to try these!

Dottie 05-04-2011 03:54 PM

If I could figure out how to make it flaky, it would be perfect lol. But alas, it's got a density issue like most non-gluten foods. Overall I'm happy with it and I can see it having a load of applications because it's easy, not too awful on calories and has a decent amount of fiber.

Dottie 05-04-2011 03:56 PM

Just because I did it, I also made a lemon poppyseed one with this basic dough. just added 1T torani lemon syrup, 1 drop ez-sweets, a sprinkle of popyseeds and some powdered lemon peel (no salt) then drizzled another T of the syrup on top and it soaked it in.

CarolynF 05-04-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14618427)
If I could figure out how to make it flaky, it would be perfect lol. But alas, it's got a density issue like most non-gluten foods. Overall I'm happy with it and I can see it having a load of applications because it's easy, not too awful on calories and has a decent amount of fiber.

How about adding some butter? :) for flakiness?? Think I'll do an experiment now..

Auntie Em 05-04-2011 04:06 PM

Dottie, thanks for this recipe. I will try it cutting the coconut flour into butter or beef fat, when I get a chance to make it. It looks great! :)

mac24312 05-04-2011 04:54 PM

Subbing! This looks VERY interesting! ;)

ljguitar 05-04-2011 09:16 PM

Hi Dottie…
Tried it with your recipe and then altered to ˝ almond flour/˝ coconut flour, and no water needed, and it came out much more bread-like (and very good split in half with butter and low carb jam).

My wife loves it! I do too...nice change up from one minute muffins.

CarolynF 05-04-2011 09:18 PM

Oh..Larry that sounds good.

I tried the original but added 1 tsp. of butter and 2-3 Tbs. of cream instead of the water.
It was very good with some bacon and an egg inside..:)

ljguitar 05-04-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 14619153)
Oh..Larry that sounds good.

I tried the original but added 1 tsp. of butter and 2-3 Tbs. of cream instead of the water.
It was very good with some bacon and an egg inside..:)

Hi Carolyn…
The Almond flour/Coconut flour mix is much lighter/springier-to-the touch.

I didn't need any added liquid…may have to try adding butter.

fourstubbs 05-05-2011 12:46 AM

Dottie! These look sooo good. I am glad you posted a picture. I'm going to try this maybe tomorrow, it looks pretty large too. Egg and bacon here we come!!

jlp2009 05-05-2011 05:15 AM

Mine looked like the picture only not quite as high. A bit hard to cut in half, but I did and
toasted it and poured LC syrup on. It was good. I will try Larry's version this time since
the coconut flour alone is a bit dry.
Since we are using heaping tablespoons (not an exact amount) of flour, I might should have added a bit more water, but after 2 min. in the micro. it was still moist in the middle at the top.
It is very quick and easy and I like that. Plus, I have coconut flour that I want to use up.

Thanks!!

Dottie 05-05-2011 06:51 AM

Hello Larry (lol sorry, old comedy TV show reference) :)
Yes the first one I made I used 2:1 with coconut and almond flours but I think my almond flour was flat tasting because the taste was a bit odd I'd say "stale" but that wasn't quite it.
I'm thinking maybe, instead of adding fat, a tablespoon or 2 of greek yogurt may also work similarly to buttermilk but add more creaminess (trying to keep the calories low).

drjlocarb 05-05-2011 07:03 AM

I will have to try this. Soon.

cdilday 05-05-2011 09:07 AM

Very good, very fast and so easy!

Used coconut flour, but for the liquid, I used:
1 Tbl melted bacon fat
1 Tbl Chia gel
1/2 Tbl Sour Cream

Sliced it warm and ate a bite with just butter to "approve" the taste (yumm), then made a sausage patty sandwich with the rest. Slices held together nicely as a breakfast sandwich but wasn't heavy.

Not sure how it would compare to ones mixed with almond flour or with other wet ingredient choices, but this was awfully good! If I had to be critical of it, the color was yellow compared with biscuits (and didn't brown in the MW)...but it ate just like the real thing to me! Thanks for the recipe!

Tilly 05-05-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdilday (Post 14620260)
Very good, very fast and so easy!

Used coconut flour, but for the liquid, I used:
1 Tbl melted bacon fat
1 Tbl Chia gel
1/2 Tbl Sour Cream

Sliced it warm and ate a bite with just butter to "approve" the taste (yumm), then made a sausage patty sandwich with the rest. Slices held together nicely as a breakfast sandwich but wasn't heavy.

Not sure how it would compare to ones mixed with almond flour or with other wet ingredient choices, but this was awfully good! If I had to be critical of it, the color was yellow compared with biscuits (and didn't brown in the MW)...but it ate just like the real thing to me! Thanks for the recipe!

I don't use bacon (too salty for me) so don't have bacon fat. Do you think I could sub coconut oil?

ritajs 05-05-2011 12:31 PM

Boy I know what I'm having on sunday! Biscuit and sausage. Thanks Dottie. :cool:

Dixie Barkley 05-05-2011 12:45 PM

Marking my spot!