Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
I tried these today, and this is a HIT!!!! So easy!!!
The only thing I did differently is that instead of 2 T of water, I used 1 T of water and 1 T of cream. When it came out of microwave, I sliced it in half and pan fried it in Butter!! OH BOY!!!! I even did the 1/2 almond flour 1/2 coconut flour without the liquid, and they are good too!

I made a sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwich!!! I am in heaven!!!!! I will rise extra early tomorrow just to be able to make this for DH and the kiddos!!!

I think I like them both very well. I can see so many applications for this! Thank you Dottie!!!!!!!!!

I think I am going to add some sweetner and cinnamon to the next ones I make for a nice cinnamon biscuit smeared with some vanilla sweetened cream cheese! YUM!
Oh, these are VERY filling! ONE is plenty!!!!
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
I made this recipe, and it came out totally flat. The taste was very good, but it came out looking like a big oatmeal cookie. What did I do wrong?
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Same thing happened to me Heather. Mine wasn't good at all.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
use a little more baking powder.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #125
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I did my tweaks to the muffin to make it lower calorie by using FF sour cream, and FF yogurt, and I have got to say this was AMAZING!!!

The muffin was a bit "delicate" and I could not pick it up, but I think if I lower the liquid (I used Calorie Countdown FF milk to replace 2 tbs of egg beaters to lower the cals) this muffin will be "hand worthy"! The muffin as I made it came in at 41 calories! With the whole 1/4 egg beater, instead of 2 tbs egg beaters and 2 tbs CC milk, it still is a bargain at 52 calories!!

The taste is just like a REAL biscuit and I'm now enjoy a biscuit, egg beater, and bacon sandwich for all of 93 calories!!

Again, AMAZING taste Poot and Dottie! THANKS SO MUCH!! I can't wait to try this on one of my UDs without FF products and with some sausage gravy!

YUMMY!!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
I made this recipe, and it came out totally flat. The taste was very good, but it came out looking like a big oatmeal cookie. What did I do wrong?
You may want to check the expiration date on the baking powder.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
I did my tweaks to the muffin to make it lower calorie by using FF sour cream, and FF yogurt, and I have got to say this was AMAZING!!!

The muffin was a bit "delicate" and I could not pick it up, but I think if I lower the liquid (I used Calorie Countdown FF milk to replace 2 tbs of egg beaters to lower the cals) this muffin will be "hand worthy"! The muffin as I made it came in at 41 calories! With the whole 1/4 egg beater, instead of 2 tbs egg beaters and 2 tbs CC milk, it still is a bargain at 52 calories!!

The taste is just like a REAL biscuit and I'm now enjoy a biscuit, egg beater, and bacon sandwich for all of 93 calories!!

Again, AMAZING taste Poot and Dottie! THANKS SO MUCH!! I can't wait to try this on one of my UDs without FF products and with some sausage gravy!

YUMMY!!!
Beeb, can you write out exactly what you used for this "biscuit"?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Beeb, can you write out exactly what you used for this "biscuit"?

Pooti's Final Tweaked Recipe with Beeb's Low Cal Tweaks in Bold:

1 Heaping Tbsp Coconut Flour (Bob's Redmill, unsifted = approx 1-1/2Tbsp level)
1 Heaping Oat Fiber (unsifted = approx 1-1/2 Tbsp level)
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
2 Pinches Kosher Salt
Garlic Powder Sprinkle
Onion Powder Sprinkle
Parsley Flake Sprinkle
1 Tbsp (level) Yogurt (I used equal amount of FF Greek Yogurt)
1 Tbsp Sour Cream (I used equal amount of FF Sour Cream)
1-1/2 Tbsp Water
1 Large Egg (I used 2 TBS egg beaters and 2 TBS Calorie Countdown FF milk, but I will use the full egg beater next time)
1/4 tsp ACV
For microwave dishes:
Makes 2 servings
Spray Olive Oil (1 spray per ramekin)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spray each ramekin with olive oil spray into bottom of each ramekin and smear around with finger. Divide batter and place batter (cornbread consistency) into each ramekin. Microwave on high for 1min 10 seconds (Mine took longer, but I did check it at 1 min 10 seconds and went from there).

Toast in oven after microwaving in order to have a toasted flavor. (I split it after it cooled and pan toasted it instead using 1 tsp bacon grease)

Pooti's Comments:
I started at 1 minute and added 10 seconds to the cook time until they were moist and set but still a little glistening. Then I removed them from the micro and split them. I toasted the outsides then topped with my cheese and sliced pork loin and turkey sausage. I put them back in the toaster oven and toasted that while I made my hard fried eggs.

I topped the halves with an egg and made an incredible breakfast sandwich of pork loin, cheese, egg and also a turkey sausage version. These are great textured biscuits!!! The recipe made two biscuits. By toasting the outsides of the biscuits, it made them have a more biscuity texture without drying out the center too much. (I cut mine in half and pan toasted it in the same pan I cooked my egg beater, using 1 tsp of bacon grease instead)

I love the fact that these don't rely on a bunch of cheese to hold them together, nor do they have the oily feeling that the cheddar bay biscuit sub can sometimes have.

Adding the vinegar and sour cream took care of the flat taste. I do like the idea of the buttermilk but I didn't have any!

Beeb's Comments:

I LOVE this biscuit!! I will use the full serving of egg beaters next time and maybe 1 tsp to 1 tbs of protein powder or some gluc powder to get them to be less "delicate" but the taste is spot on to a biscuit from KFC!!

Here is the Nutritional Facts with my FF tweaks using the half egg beater/half FF milk:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 7
Calories 41 (as written)

If using the full serving of egg beaters add 11 calories to make up for the added egg beater (15 cals) and substracting the Calorie Countdown FF milk (4 cals).......making this version 52 Cals instead.

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.75g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.75g 4%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 60mg 2%
Potassium 24mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.76g 2%
Dietary Fiber 4.2g 17%
Sugars 1.32g
Protein 3.55g

Net Carbs: 2.56g

Last edited by Beeb; 09-15-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post

Pooti's Final Tweaked Recipe with Beeb's Low Cal Tweaks in Bold:

1 Heaping Tbsp Coconut Flour (Bob's Redmill, unsifted = approx 1-1/2Tbsp level)
1 Heaping Oat Fiber (unsifted = approx 1-1/2 Tbsp level)
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
2 Pinches Kosher Salt
Garlic Powder Sprinkle
Onion Powder Sprinkle
Parsley Flake Sprinkle
1 Tbsp (level) Yogurt (I used equal amount of FF Greek Yogurt)
1 Tbsp Sour Cream (I used equal amount of FF Sour Cream)
1-1/2 Tbsp Water
1 Large Egg (I used 2 TBS egg beaters and 2 TBS Calorie Countdown FF milk, but I will use the full egg beater next time)
1/4 tsp ACV
For microwave dishes:
Makes 2 servings
Spray Olive Oil (1 spray per ramekin)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spray each ramekin with olive oil spray into bottom of each ramekin and smear around with finger. Divide batter and place batter (cornbread consistency) into each ramekin. Microwave on high for 1min 10 seconds (Mine took longer, but I did check it at 1 min 10 seconds and went from there).

Toast in oven after microwaving in order to have a toasted flavor. (I split it after it cooled and pan toasted it instead using 1 tsp bacon grease)

Pooti's Comments:
I started at 1 minute and added 10 seconds to the cook time until they were moist and set but still a little glistening. Then I removed them from the micro and split them. I toasted the outsides then topped with my cheese and sliced pork loin and turkey sausage. I put them back in the toaster oven and toasted that while I made my hard fried eggs.

I topped the halves with an egg and made an incredible breakfast sandwich of pork loin, cheese, egg and also a turkey sausage version. These are great textured biscuits!!! The recipe made two biscuits. By toasting the outsides of the biscuits, it made them have a more biscuity texture without drying out the center too much. (I cut mine in half and pan toasted it in the same pan I cooked my egg beater, using 1 tsp of bacon grease instead)

I love the fact that these don't rely on a bunch of cheese to hold them together, nor do they have the oily feeling that the cheddar bay biscuit sub can sometimes have.

Adding the vinegar and sour cream took care of the flat taste. I do like the idea of the buttermilk but I didn't have any!

Beeb's Comments:

I LOVE this biscuit!! I will use the full serving of egg beaters next time and maybe 1 tsp to 1 tbs of protein powder or some gluc powder to get them to be less "delicate" but the taste is spot on to a biscuit from KFC!!

Here is the Nutritional Facts with my FF tweaks using the half egg beater/half FF milk:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 7
Calories 41 (as written)

If using the full serving of egg beaters add 11 calories to make up for the added egg beater (15 cals) and substracting the Calorie Countdown FF milk (4 cals).......making this version 52 Cals instead.

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.75g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.75g 4%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 60mg 2%
Potassium 24mg
Total Carbohydrate 6.76g 2%
Dietary Fiber 4.2g 17%
Sugars 1.32g
Protein 3.55g

Net Carbs: 2.56g
Thanks very much!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #130
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
You may want to check the expiration date on the baking powder.
Yes, for those of you getting little or no rise out of this (or any) recipe, your baking powder has probably lost its effectiveness. It only lasts a year or so. To test it's effectiveness, mix 1 tsp. of baking powder in 1/2 cup hot water. It should fizz or bubble. If it doesn't, it's no good and you need to buy a new can.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh my my... I am currently enjoying an egg, cheese and sausage biscuit sandwich. This thing is amazing. I used Larry's version (from page 1) and microwaved it in a ramikin for 1.5 minutes, then cut it in half and toasted it for just a couple mins. It really is so much like a southern biscuit. I can't wait to make it for my husband. If I can figure out how to make sausage gravy without flour, he will be a happy, happy man.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #132
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Crumbled breakfast sausage, cook until crispy then add cream or half and half, cook until reduced. I saw the Frugal Gourmet make it that way years ago and it works great I use half and half to keep the calories a bit under control.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Speck - thanks for suggesting Larys tweek. I tried this again and wha-la!!! Very happily enjoying 'southern biscuit'.

Thank you so much Dottie for this and the gravy recipe!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #134
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Dottie. I will try that!
Jenna, that's great!

I made a hot dog bun out of it by cooking the batter in the top to a ceramic butter keeper lol. I'm still full from bfast so I don't know how good it is in that application yet.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Jenna, that's great!

I made a hot dog bun out of it by cooking the batter in the top to a ceramic butter keeper lol. I'm still full from bfast so I don't know how good it is in that application yet.
what a great idea speck! Thanks!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/195/155
WOE: Weight Watchers 360
Start Date: May 2014 this round!
I don't know how to mark my spot other than to post here! I really want to try this!
leisha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Jenna, that's great!

What a great idea!!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
It's official: I and my family prefer the 1/2 almond flour 1/2 coconut flour version.
I added some Mrs. dash tomato, garlic and basil seasoning to one (no sweetner) and WOW! IT was sooo good slathered in butter!
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rqw1968
Stats: 199 lbs/143.1 lbs/128 lbs (5' 6.5") Age: 44
WOE: Typically VLC, On hCG SubQ R1P2 since 10/4/2012
Start Date: January '09 (Restart: 7/15/2012)
Merciful Heavens !!! Biscuits !!!

I wish payday would hurry up and get here !!! I miss biscuits and sausage gravy. Can't wait 'til I can splurge a little on real honey again.
rqw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
I can't wait to try the revised versions and to try egg sandwiches, etc.

My husband and I just tried this recipe a few days ago for the first time. I made him two biscuits for breakfast today. Toasted.

cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy which variation did you try?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
The first version.

I pretty much looked at Post #1 and ran to the kitchen.

I didn't even see the variations until now.
cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

These are very good and use Larry's tweak. They look just like the picture. YUM and so easy and quick to make.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #144
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday I added a pinch of minced dehydrated onion and some poppy seeds and had an egg, cheese and sausage biscuit. I've also been adding a tbls of melted butter, it really helps. I really love these things. They're so versatile. Oh, and BTW the hot dog bun thing I did was... interesting. lol. I ate it and it reminded me of a corn dog. I think I'm going to try to fry the batter later for s and g's. I'll report back.
Here's a pic of the hot dog bun.
IMG_0520.jpg

Last edited by Speck333; 10-02-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

fry bread or donut?

So, I fried it in hot oil and got a sort of fry bread. I topped it with leftover chili and cheese and it was good. If I sweetened the batter, it would have made something very donut like.
Here's a picture. It had a nice texture, but a bit oily. Anyway, it was a quick and fun experiment.
photo.JPG

sorry, don't know why the picture is sideways.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures! I hope they tasted as good as they looked!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #147
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GRAYWOLF
Stats: 320/305/250
WOE: New Atkins (sort of)
Start Date: May 11
Interesting recipe, I have a couple of questions:

1 Does this have to be microwaved? (we prefer to avoid the negative health effects of MW as much as possible)

2 could you make gravy with the coconut flour or almond flour?
GRAYWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #148
Administrator

Yes you can bake them. I use a silicone muffin pan and a convection toaster oven.
Personally I didn't care for gravy made with coconut flour. The taste of the flour was too strong, for me.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Yes you can bake them. I use a silicone muffin pan and a convection toaster oven.
Personally I didn't care for gravy made with coconut flour. The taste of the flour was too strong, for me.
I have big pumpkin shaped silicone muffin pans and would love to make a big biscuit in one! I will be using a regular oven, though. any guess for time and temp on the recipe?

Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #150
Administrator

I'd go the standard 350 and maybe 18 minutes for a double recipe, then go at 2-3 minute intervals checking it?