Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Spinach Chips. So glad I made them! (Pics)

I have heard of this being done on some older threads, but thought it was one of those recipes that would never really taste good. But so many people raved about the kale chips, I had to give it a shot.

I coated a big bowl of spinach leaves (washed, dried and stems removed) in about 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Spread them in a single layer on a silpat and baked for 25 minutes at 225. The first batch came out perfect, the second batch needed a couple more minutes to crisp up.

And they seriously taste just like potato chips. My kids gobbled them all up! They are thinner and more delicate than a potato chip, so I'm not sure if they could hold up to dip. I'm going to try it with kale next and see if it delivers a sturdier "chip." I can't wait to bring these to potlucks and look at people's faces when they taste them. I will be serving these with our burgers from now on, instead of fries.

I am imagining all different flavors too! Sour cream and onion, cheese, bbq.... YUM!

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Chelsie...these look good! I haven't tried the kale type yet, but I hope to soon. Do you think these might work with baby spinach..? I wonder if those leaves are too small... I think someone else said they tasted like chips... Great that the kids liked them!
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Washing and de-stemming the spinach was a pain... I might try it with the bagged version next time. I believe this was baby spinach I used. They ranged from 1 to 3 inches long.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I've made the kale chips before and sturdy they are not. They are very very delicate and fall apart when you pick them up unless you are very careful. I had thought about making spinach "chips" to see if they were more sturdy but I guess that answers my question Lol.

I will have to try this anyways.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
sounds yummy and spinach is super low carb too!
darlingnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Chelsie: How did you know I had a bag of baby spinach in my fridge? I'll give these a go..
Thanks..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

LOL Carolyn!

That's good to know about the kale. The spinach is very brittle. I want to try some different flavors on the chips themselves then. I wonder if I could use powdered milk and onion powder to make a sour cream and onion flavor. Mayeb lightly spritz them with vinegar before baking for that tanginess.

Make sure to check your teeth after eating them! We all had green bits in our teeth!!LOL!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: island girl2
Stats: 225/196.2/150
WOE: starting juddd
Start Date: March 2010/restart sept. 2012/hcg apr 13
The Kale ones are good with a bit of balsamic vinegar mixed with the oil -I bet it would be good on the spinach as well.
island girl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I made these last week. I tried the kale chips awhile ago. And if you like the taste of kale, then they are great! I wanted to try spinach because I was not fond of the kale taste. I used baby spinach so did not take the stems off. They were wonderful! Here is the website I used: Cajun SPINACH Chips » Cajun Meal
I found the coconut oil spray at Whole Foods and from web searches and phone calls, it is also sold at Harris Teeter (none near me). I also have a no salt (important to me) barbeque seasoning purchased in bulk, which I used instead of cajun seasoning. They were so good! Yes, they are very delicate, more so than the kale chips. I don't like to heat up my whole oven for something so small, so I use my toaster oven to bake them and they turned out very crispy. Hope you enjoy them! Oh wow, thanks for the idea of spritzing them with vinegar, love the stuff!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Two experiments tonight-

Kale vs. Spinach:
Kale has a delicate crunch like the spinach, but the after-chew is a bit more fibrous. Also, there was much more of a vegetal flavor. I don't mind veggies, so this didn't bother me. Spinach was thinner, more delicate, but zero veggie flavor. Tasted more like potato chips too me.

Sour Cream & Onion flavor spinach chips:
I sprinkled 1 tsp of powdered milk/ 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1/4 tsp salt on a batch (cookie-sheet-full) of spinach before I cooked them. They were a slight bit too salty, and not enough onion flavor. I will try again with 1 tsp powdered milk, 1 tsp onion powder and 1/8 tsp salt and see how that works.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #11

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
ok now I know what to do with my Spinach! Thanks!
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I'm trying to wrap my mind around spinach baked tasting like potato chips. Hmmm, interesting.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer- I did the same thing! Everyone raves about them, but I never made them because it just didn't make sense to me.

However, they only taste like potato chips when they are fresh. The next day they tend to soften a bit and the flavor intensifies, still yummy, but not as potato-ey.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
Stats: 309/299/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/7/2011
How are these stored to maintain their crispness?
replay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I put them in a jar after they were completely cooled off and and the next day they had softened a bit. They were still good, but a bit more spinach-y tasting. I would say these are best eaten fresh out the oven.

I tried dipping some kale chips in dip today, and I had to do it very slowly so they wouldn't break, but I was able to do it. Potato chips and dip is one of my favorite snacks and parties and potlucks, so from now on, I will bake these up right before we go!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

A few other differences-

The Kale chips are much "prettier" and look really neat when baked. I used the curly leaf kale with purple in it so they were very rufflly and colorful.

The kale has a grassier flavor, which I didn't mind, but the kids didn't seem to like them as much.

The kale is sturdier, so it held up better to dip.

The kale is more fibrous, so it took longer to chew it up and sometimes the woody veins were a bit too fibrous. But not real bad, but a definite difference.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I'm trying to wrap my mind around spinach baked tasting like potato chips. Hmmm, interesting.
Ha ha!!! I had given up potato chips a loooooonnnngg time ago, so just to be able to bite into something crunchy and crispy was a REAL treat for me. And I do like spinach, so no problem for me. And with the no salt barbeque seasoning on top, they were a real treat for me. But that might be because I have not eaten chips in years. I used to sit and eat a whole bag as a snack, and I don't mean the tiny snack packs. Once in awhile I still stare at at the Fritoes and sour cream and onion bags, but then think about how awful I would feel after. Not worth it. So this satisfied me for now. I am able to eat so much on LC that I don't need them. Try them, Jennifer!!! (and a p.s., I am loving your Healthy Butter. I think I now have the right oil picked out and the right proportions, thanks!!!)
Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I have been making some version of these every day. So far I have found that salt, pepper and onion powder is the best tasting. I am going to try the parm flavor next time.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steak_Fanatic
I've heard of people doing this and never believed it. I'm going to buy a bag of spinach next time I go to the store. Such a healthy snack.
Steak_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak_Fanatic View Post
I've heard of people doing this and never believed it. I'm going to buy a bag of spinach next time I go to the store. Such a healthy snack.
Let us know what you think and how you seasoned them.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #21

Gallery: Sleepy
yum!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
These sound wonderful. There is a "fried spinach" dish that the expensive Italian restaurants around me serve. Theirs is deep fried, but it sounds like it comes out the same. I'm wondering if a bok choy would be sturdier than spinach and have less 'green' flavor than kale?
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
These sound wonderful. There is a "fried spinach" dish that the expensive Italian restaurants around me serve. Theirs is deep fried, but it sounds like it comes out the same. I'm wondering if a bok choy would be sturdier than spinach and have less 'green' flavor than kale?
Hmmm, great idea, I may buy one this week and try it. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aimmij
These things are too good! I've been making the creole ones in the oven on parchment paper for the past couple of days. Well, today I decided to make them in the microwave on parchment paper, and they were just as awesome as the oven ones! Thank you so much for this idea! I LOVE THEM! And you're right, they taste just like potato chips. 5 stars from me!
aimmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimmij View Post
These things are too good! I've been making the creole ones in the oven on parchment paper for the past couple of days. Well, today I decided to make them in the microwave on parchment paper, and they were just as awesome as the oven ones! Thank you so much for this idea! I LOVE THEM! And you're right, they taste just like potato chips. 5 stars from me!

How long did you microwave? And was that on full power? I would much rather do it in the microwave, especially with summer coming up I hate to heat the kitchen up by turning the oven on and not many fit in my toaster oven.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aimmij
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
How long did you microwave? And was that on full power? I would much rather do it in the microwave, especially with summer coming up I hate to heat the kitchen up by turning the oven on and not many fit in my toaster oven.
I believe I intially set it up for 6 minutes, but they were crispy before the time was up. So probably about 4-5 minutes. But this was a small, single serving batch. And yes on full power.

Oh, and I totally agree, it's nice to be able to make these without turning on the oven!
aimmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #27

Gallery: momacat
I've tasted basil prepared like this also. I bet it would be interesting to try a combination of various greens prepared this way.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momacat View Post
I've tasted basil prepared like this also. I bet it would be interesting to try a combination of various greens prepared this way.
What a great way to dry and preserve them from our summer gardens or purchasing from our fresh local markets.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
I had these for dinner last night make in the microwave!
tinatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #30

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Jacques Pepin's recipe for kale chips is the best I've found. He has you bake them in a slow oven 250 degrees on a rack. The low temp helps with the burning issue and the rack allows more air to circulate for crispness. You can Google for the episode of his tv show.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote