Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Spinach Chips. So glad I made them! (Pics) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/719289-spinach-chips-so-glad-i-made-them-pics.html)

Aediekins 04-28-2011 09:00 PM

Spinach Chips. So glad I made them! (Pics)

http://i54.tinypic.com/amtyly.jpg

I have heard of this being done on some older threads, but thought it was one of those recipes that would never really taste good. But so many people raved about the kale chips, I had to give it a shot.

I coated a big bowl of spinach leaves (washed, dried and stems removed) in about 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Spread them in a single layer on a silpat and baked for 25 minutes at 225. The first batch came out perfect, the second batch needed a couple more minutes to crisp up.

And they seriously taste just like potato chips. My kids gobbled them all up! They are thinner and more delicate than a potato chip, so I'm not sure if they could hold up to dip. I'm going to try it with kale next and see if it delivers a sturdier "chip." I can't wait to bring these to potlucks and look at people's faces when they taste them. I will be serving these with our burgers from now on, instead of fries.

I am imagining all different flavors too! Sour cream and onion, cheese, bbq.... YUM!

fourstubbs 04-28-2011 10:21 PM

Chelsie...these look good! I haven't tried the kale type yet, but I hope to soon. Do you think these might work with baby spinach..? I wonder if those leaves are too small... I think someone else said they tasted like chips... Great that the kids liked them!

Aediekins 04-28-2011 11:33 PM

Washing and de-stemming the spinach was a pain... I might try it with the bagged version next time. I believe this was baby spinach I used. They ranged from 1 to 3 inches long.

MsWoods 04-29-2011 09:53 AM

I've made the kale chips before and sturdy they are not. They are very very delicate and fall apart when you pick them up unless you are very careful. I had thought about making spinach "chips" to see if they were more sturdy but I guess that answers my question Lol.

I will have to try this anyways.

darlingnikki 04-29-2011 10:10 AM

sounds yummy and spinach is super low carb too!

CarolynF 04-29-2011 10:24 AM

Chelsie: How did you know I had a bag of baby spinach in my fridge? I'll give these a go..
Thanks..

Aediekins 04-29-2011 01:09 PM

LOL Carolyn!

That's good to know about the kale. The spinach is very brittle. I want to try some different flavors on the chips themselves then. I wonder if I could use powdered milk and onion powder to make a sour cream and onion flavor. Mayeb lightly spritz them with vinegar before baking for that tanginess.

Make sure to check your teeth after eating them! We all had green bits in our teeth!!LOL!

island girl2 04-29-2011 03:20 PM

The Kale ones are good with a bit of balsamic vinegar mixed with the oil -I bet it would be good on the spinach as well.

Tilly 04-29-2011 03:27 PM

I made these last week. I tried the kale chips awhile ago. And if you like the taste of kale, then they are great! I wanted to try spinach because I was not fond of the kale taste. I used baby spinach so did not take the stems off. They were wonderful! Here is the website I used: Cajun SPINACH Chips Cajun Meal
I found the coconut oil spray at Whole Foods and from web searches and phone calls, it is also sold at Harris Teeter (none near me). I also have a no salt (important to me) barbeque seasoning purchased in bulk, which I used instead of cajun seasoning. They were so good! Yes, they are very delicate, more so than the kale chips. I don't like to heat up my whole oven for something so small, so I use my toaster oven to bake them and they turned out very crispy. Hope you enjoy them! Oh wow, thanks for the idea of spritzing them with vinegar, love the stuff! :cool:

Aediekins 04-30-2011 12:32 AM

Two experiments tonight-

Kale vs. Spinach:
Kale has a delicate crunch like the spinach, but the after-chew is a bit more fibrous. Also, there was much more of a vegetal flavor. I don't mind veggies, so this didn't bother me. Spinach was thinner, more delicate, but zero veggie flavor. Tasted more like potato chips too me.

Sour Cream & Onion flavor spinach chips:
I sprinkled 1 tsp of powdered milk/ 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1/4 tsp salt on a batch (cookie-sheet-full) of spinach before I cooked them. They were a slight bit too salty, and not enough onion flavor. I will try again with 1 tsp powdered milk, 1 tsp onion powder and 1/8 tsp salt and see how that works.

wifey 04-30-2011 01:22 AM

ok now I know what to do with my Spinach! Thanks!

Jennifer Eloff 04-30-2011 06:30 PM

I'm trying to wrap my mind around spinach baked tasting like potato chips. :confused: Hmmm, interesting.

Aediekins 04-30-2011 08:58 PM

Jennifer- I did the same thing! Everyone raves about them, but I never made them because it just didn't make sense to me.

However, they only taste like potato chips when they are fresh. The next day they tend to soften a bit and the flavor intensifies, still yummy, but not as potato-ey.

replay 05-01-2011 05:19 AM

How are these stored to maintain their crispness?

Aediekins 05-01-2011 02:15 PM

I put them in a jar after they were completely cooled off and and the next day they had softened a bit. They were still good, but a bit more spinach-y tasting. I would say these are best eaten fresh out the oven.

I tried dipping some kale chips in dip today, and I had to do it very slowly so they wouldn't break, but I was able to do it. Potato chips and dip is one of my favorite snacks and parties and potlucks, so from now on, I will bake these up right before we go!

Aediekins 05-01-2011 02:20 PM

A few other differences-

The Kale chips are much "prettier" and look really neat when baked. I used the curly leaf kale with purple in it so they were very rufflly and colorful.

The kale has a grassier flavor, which I didn't mind, but the kids didn't seem to like them as much.

The kale is sturdier, so it held up better to dip.

The kale is more fibrous, so it took longer to chew it up and sometimes the woody veins were a bit too fibrous. But not real bad, but a definite difference.

Tilly 05-01-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff (Post 14606488)
I'm trying to wrap my mind around spinach baked tasting like potato chips. :confused: Hmmm, interesting.

Ha ha!!! I had given up potato chips a loooooonnnngg time ago, so just to be able to bite into something crunchy and crispy was a REAL treat for me. And I do like spinach, so no problem for me. And with the no salt barbeque seasoning on top, they were a real treat for me. But that might be because I have not eaten chips in years. I used to sit and eat a whole bag as a snack, and I don't mean the tiny snack packs. Once in awhile I still stare at at the Fritoes and sour cream and onion bags, but then think about how awful I would feel after. Not worth it. So this satisfied me for now. I am able to eat so much on LC that I don't need them. Try them, Jennifer!!! (and a p.s., I am loving your Healthy Butter. I think I now have the right oil picked out and the right proportions, thanks!!!) :hiya:

Aediekins 05-01-2011 02:41 PM

I have been making some version of these every day. So far I have found that salt, pepper and onion powder is the best tasting. I am going to try the parm flavor next time.

Steak_Fanatic 05-02-2011 05:27 PM

I've heard of people doing this and never believed it. I'm going to buy a bag of spinach next time I go to the store. Such a healthy snack.

Tilly 05-02-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steak_Fanatic (Post 14611951)
I've heard of people doing this and never believed it. I'm going to buy a bag of spinach next time I go to the store. Such a healthy snack.

Let us know what you think and how you seasoned them. :hiya:

Sleepy 05-03-2011 05:56 AM

yum!

terez 05-03-2011 01:43 PM

These sound wonderful. There is a "fried spinach" dish that the expensive Italian restaurants around me serve. Theirs is deep fried, but it sounds like it comes out the same. I'm wondering if a bok choy would be sturdier than spinach and have less 'green' flavor than kale?

Tilly 05-03-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terez (Post 14614837)
These sound wonderful. There is a "fried spinach" dish that the expensive Italian restaurants around me serve. Theirs is deep fried, but it sounds like it comes out the same. I'm wondering if a bok choy would be sturdier than spinach and have less 'green' flavor than kale?

Hmmm, great idea, I may buy one this week and try it. Thanks!
:D

aimmij 05-04-2011 02:19 PM

These things are too good! I've been making the creole ones in the oven on parchment paper for the past couple of days. Well, today I decided to make them in the microwave on parchment paper, and they were just as awesome as the oven ones! Thank you so much for this idea! I LOVE THEM! And you're right, they taste just like potato chips. 5 stars from me!

Tilly 05-04-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimmij (Post 14618337)
These things are too good! I've been making the creole ones in the oven on parchment paper for the past couple of days. Well, today I decided to make them in the microwave on parchment paper, and they were just as awesome as the oven ones! Thank you so much for this idea! I LOVE THEM! And you're right, they taste just like potato chips. 5 stars from me!

How long did you microwave? And was that on full power? I would much rather do it in the microwave, especially with summer coming up I hate to heat the kitchen up by turning the oven on and not many fit in my toaster oven.

aimmij 05-04-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 14618465)
How long did you microwave? And was that on full power? I would much rather do it in the microwave, especially with summer coming up I hate to heat the kitchen up by turning the oven on and not many fit in my toaster oven.

I believe I intially set it up for 6 minutes, but they were crispy before the time was up. So probably about 4-5 minutes. But this was a small, single serving batch. And yes on full power.

Oh, and I totally agree, it's nice to be able to make these without turning on the oven!

momacat 05-04-2011 03:53 PM

I've tasted basil prepared like this also. I bet it would be interesting to try a combination of various greens prepared this way.

Tilly 05-04-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momacat (Post 14618580)
I've tasted basil prepared like this also. I bet it would be interesting to try a combination of various greens prepared this way.

What a great way to dry and preserve them from our summer gardens or purchasing from our fresh local markets.

tinatina 05-06-2011 05:51 AM

I had these for dinner last night make in the microwave! :clap:

lisabinil 05-06-2011 06:09 AM

Jacques Pepin's recipe for kale chips is the best I've found. He has you bake them in a slow oven 250 degrees on a rack. The low temp helps with the burning issue and the rack allows more air to circulate for crispness. You can Google for the episode of his tv show.