Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Pork skin flour MIM

Just sub ground up pork skins for the nut flour but use just a little more ground pork skins than almond flour. I used about a half cup instead of the 1/4 cup I use for regular MIM. I also used olive oil instead of butter in the mix.

I wanted it to be savory so I added a little sage and parsley. It turned out to be pretty good with butter on top. DH ate it with his eggs and sausage and said he would like to have it again. It is more dense like wheat bread to me than the lighter almond flour MIM. If you are out of nut flour sometimes, why not try it out? I did add a little bit more baking powder than usual but I don't know if you have too. I wanted to add some bacon bits but didn't have any.

I made Goal on 6-12-11
New Goal....... 120
DH: 230/187/180

Last edited by EveH; 04-24-2011 at 10:02 AM..
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, Eve, what an innovative idea!! I bet that was good. Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. It would be lower carb than the almond flour too!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Yes, it's a very clever idea and I've got a container of pork rind crumbs in the freezer that's just taking up space.

EveH, would you mind posting exactly the recipe that you used? There are so many minute muffin recipes going around that I have no idea which version to use. I printed out a recipe for an onion/garlic one minute muffin a while back but it doesn't call for any almond flour, just flax meal.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Sure Linda. Here's the way I made it.

1/2 cup pork skin flour

1 TBS olive oil....you may not need this much. I forgot the pork skins were fatty.

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 egg

Dash of dried parsley and just a pinch of sage

I mixed the egg and oil and then added the rest of the ingredients. Cooked two minutes in Micro but it will depend on your microwave for time. Topped it with butter and DH pronounced it good to sop up his egg yolks. LOL ..It does need tweaking a bit probably. If you can improve it oh Mentor of mine, I would love that.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
Marking. Buying pork rinds today.
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
our walmart is always out of pork rinds----when i see them i buy 2-3 bags, yesterday went shopping and again they were out---except for the bbq flavor---this sounds really good, -will try it next time i get me some pork rinds----thanks for sharing the recipe
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
our walmart is always out of pork rinds----when i see them i buy 2-3 bags, yesterday went shopping and again they were out---except for the bbq flavor---this sounds really good, -will try it next time i get me some pork rinds----thanks for sharing the recipe
HMMM...I'll bet BBQ pork rinds would make a good tasting muffin. We can't get flavored ones anywhere around here but if we could......it sure would be fun to experiment with them.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

I just made one of these and the result was promising. I don't know if it's because I omitted the oil but mine came out a little tough. I think it was because I microwaved it a little too long for my microwave and not the lack of oil. Here's the link to the recipe on my site: Eve's Pork Skin Flour Minute Muffin. I've got quite a few comments there.

Did yours look like mine Eve?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #9

OK, twice is a coincidence but three times suggests that something is up. I've been nibbling on that muffin throughout the day today and each time I get the hiccups after eating a couple bites. Anyone else have that happen with these? The hiccups only last for a minute or so (maybe two or three hiccups) then go away.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

We didn't get hiccups. I am so honored to have a recipe on your site. Thanks, Linda. Mine did look like yours. It is a bit more rustic looking than the smoother almond flour one. My microwave is an older one so it might take longer for mine. I tried it in a bowl and I do like it better in a bowl. I think it has possibilities for those on induction who can't have the nut flours.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy lolz
WOE: I do my darndest to stay under 20g a day :D
Congratulations on your entry to Linda's site!

cindy lolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveH View Post
Just sub ground up pork skins for the nut flour but use just a little more ground pork skins than almond flour. I used about a half cup instead of the 1/4 cup I use for regular MIM. I also used olive oil instead of butter in the mix.

I wanted it to be savory so I added a little sage and parsley. It turned out to be pretty good with butter on top. DH ate it with his eggs and sausage and said he would like to have it again. It is more dense like wheat bread to me than the lighter almond flour MIM. If you are out of nut flour sometimes, why not try it out? I did add a little bit more baking powder than usual but I don't know if you have too. I wanted to add some bacon bits but didn't have any.
I use it all the time for breading and thickener in soups and gravies.

Uhm.. recipes, please?
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Uhm.. just found the recipe. :blush:

I'm thinking this might be good with cinnamon, vanilla, and a pinch of nutmeg for a nice breakfast muffin. Or cut in half as a base for breakfast sandwiches.

If you did a larger batch of batter, I think they might do well in muffin top pans for buns.... my head's spinning from the possibilities!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Pork rinds are soooo salty! Let us know if you try a sweet version. (Linda Sue- maybe the hiccups were caused by too much sodium!)
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
Pork rinds are soooo salty! Let us know if you try a sweet version. (Linda Sue- maybe the hiccups were caused by too much sodium!)
I've eaten pork rinds on their own plenty of times without hiccups. I'll see what happens when I eat some of the muffin today. There is still part of it left.

By the way, I cut a thin slice off of the muffin and put it in the toaster oven to brown and crisp it. It was very good toasted and I think the muffin recipe might make good stuffing cubes or maybe even croutons. Toasting thin pieces might also make good crackers to put cheese on. It sort of reminded me of melba toast but it tasted better.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Linda, you have such a creative mind. I would never have thought of croutons. I would love to have croutons on my salad,,,,especially cheese croutons.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Uhm.. just found the recipe. :blush:

I'm thinking this might be good with cinnamon, vanilla, and a pinch of nutmeg for a nice breakfast muffin. Or cut in half as a base for breakfast sandwiches.

If you did a larger batch of batter, I think they might do well in muffin top pans for buns.... my head's spinning from the possibilities!
this sweet version sounds good maybe for french toast, slice into several pieces, dip in egg and fry, top with butter and syrup, and of course a side of bacon or sausage---yum!!!---i add a little cinnamon in my egg mixture before dipping, i like lots of cinnamon in my FT
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
Great idea.... I like the pork rind recipes that I have tried so far.

I have two bags of coconut flour that I don't know what to do with.... I don't much care for anything I've made with it so far. I wonder if the combination of the fatty pork rinds and the coconut flour would work for a sweet muffin, if nothing else, just to consume the coconut flour. I may give it a try by adding a small amount of coconut flour with some sweetener and cinnamon to the original recipe.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #19

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Interesting recipe..

I wonder if someone cooked this on the stove in a tiny skillet, if it would be good..
More like a pancake..

Okay..what is the best way to make pork rinds into flour???
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I have one of those blender sticks that also come with a small chopper. I just use the chopper attachment. If I fill mine to the top with pork skins, it makes about a half cup ground. You could probably use a food processor too. DH rolled some for his chicken breading the other night with just a baggie full of pork skins and a rolling pin.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveH View Post
I have one of those blender sticks that also come with a small chopper. I just use the chopper attachment. If I fill mine to the top with pork skins, it makes about a half cup ground. You could probably use a food processor too. DH rolled some for his chicken breading the other night with just a baggie full of pork skins and a rolling pin.
i always use my rolling pin too, nothing to wash then--works good
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I've eaten pork rinds on their own plenty of times without hiccups. I'll see what happens when I eat some of the muffin today. There is still part of it left.

By the way, I cut a thin slice off of the muffin and put it in the toaster oven to brown and crisp it. It was very good toasted and I think the muffin recipe might make good stuffing cubes or maybe even croutons. Toasting thin pieces might also make good crackers to put cheese on. It sort of reminded me of melba toast but it tasted better.
Hey, Linda-- that's an awesome idea-- particularly crackers. The carb and calorie counts really make me want to figure out some more applications.

I'm thinking about your muffin being toasted-- makes me think of an English Muffin style thang.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
this sweet version sounds good maybe for french toast, slice into several pieces, dip in egg and fry, top with butter and syrup, and of course a side of bacon or sausage---yum!!!---i add a little cinnamon in my egg mixture before dipping, i like lots of cinnamon in my FT
Here's a recipe that I've used quite a bit..

You Won't Believe it's Not French Toast

Ingredients:

1/2 of a 3-oz. bag of unflavored pork rinds
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 packets Splenda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon egg nog extract or vanilla extract

Crumble pork rinds up until they resemble bread crumbs (use your food processor if you like — or put them in a Ziploc bag, air removed, and roll them with a rolling pin.) Set aside.

Beat eggs well and then mix with remaining ingredients and beat again. Add crushed pork rinds to the egg/cream mixture and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken to a "gloppy" phase during this time.

Meanwhile, heat skillet or griddle with butter or oil, and when hot, fry pancake style until golden brown on both sides. Serve with low-carb maple syrup!

If you don't tell someone who eats them, they will never have a CLUE that these little french toast pancakes are made with pork rinds. And everyone loves 'em. Really. Yeah, really. Would I kid you?

Less than 1 net gram of carbohydrate per serving.

Extremely Important Notes:
The pork rinds must be a good brand with an extremely bland taste. In my area there are 4-5 brands available, but only 2 of them are really "puffy" and contain very little pork-rindy-taste. They are Baken-ets (Frito-Lay's national brand) and Huffmann's (a local brand.) Rinds that are super crunchy don't work well for this. It's also important that they be very well crushed - just one step above dust.

Also - remember to let it really get to its "gloppy" phase and don't rush it. Plus, make sure the skillet is hot before you start adding the mix - with just enough oil to moisten bottom of pan but not enough to fry chicken in.

Lastly, while the egg nog extract is optional, it really adds something. If you don't have any, we suggest you substitute a vanilla, rather than just leaving it out.

Re-starting Meat and Egg Fast :1/13/14

Size:18/20* 14/16* 10/ 11/12 * 9/10 * 8/9* 7/8
I have no idea what I weigh.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
Alexander the Great
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #24

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Thanks, Eve..I have one of "those stick blenders", but never used the chopper part..Will do that.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I so want to try these recipes, but just thinking about it makes me kinda That muffin the pic looks like a muffin-shaped pork rind. And the thought of the pork rind "flour" re-hydrating into fleshy pork skin "gloopiness" is sooo un-appetizing.

But dang it, the end results sound yummy... I hope one day I can get over my issues with pork rinds. Weird thing is, I am fine with eating them in their crunchy state.
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Here's a recipe that I've used quite a bit..

You Won't Believe it's Not French Toast

Ingredients:

1/2 of a 3-oz. bag of unflavored pork rinds
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 packets Splenda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon egg nog extract or vanilla extract

Crumble pork rinds up until they resemble bread crumbs (use your food processor if you like — or put them in a Ziploc bag, air removed, and roll them with a rolling pin.) Set aside.

Beat eggs well and then mix with remaining ingredients and beat again. Add crushed pork rinds to the egg/cream mixture and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken to a "gloppy" phase during this time.

Meanwhile, heat skillet or griddle with butter or oil, and when hot, fry pancake style until golden brown on both sides. Serve with low-carb maple syrup!

If you don't tell someone who eats them, they will never have a CLUE that these little french toast pancakes are made with pork rinds. And everyone loves 'em. Really. Yeah, really. Would I kid you?

Less than 1 net gram of carbohydrate per serving.

Extremely Important Notes:
The pork rinds must be a good brand with an extremely bland taste. In my area there are 4-5 brands available, but only 2 of them are really "puffy" and contain very little pork-rindy-taste. They are Baken-ets (Frito-Lay's national brand) and Huffmann's (a local brand.) Rinds that are super crunchy don't work well for this. It's also important that they be very well crushed - just one step above dust.

Also - remember to let it really get to its "gloppy" phase and don't rush it. Plus, make sure the skillet is hot before you start adding the mix - with just enough oil to moisten bottom of pan but not enough to fry chicken in.

Lastly, while the egg nog extract is optional, it really adds something. If you don't have any, we suggest you substitute a vanilla, rather than just leaving it out.
this sounds yummy, its simple and i usually have all the ingredients on hand

thanks for sharing
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
I so want to try these recipes, but just thinking about it makes me kinda That muffin the pic looks like a muffin-shaped pork rind. And the thought of the pork rind "flour" re-hydrating into fleshy pork skin "gloopiness" is sooo un-appetizing.

But dang it, the end results sound yummy... I hope one day I can get over my issues with pork rinds. Weird thing is, I am fine with eating them in their crunchy state.
I can relate. I was like that for a long time but pork rind phobia can be overcome over time. The only recipe that I've tried so far that had that gloopy consitency was a stuffing recipe. I don't think that stuffing made with the muffins would have the same problem because the muffins are a lot more bread-like than just crushed pork rinds. This morning I sliced and toasted up the rest of that muffin from the other day and got it nice and brown and crunchy. It was a nice snack but it was a little crumbly. I'm going to try making pork rind muffin "crackers" sometime using the BBQ pork rind crumbs that I've got in the freezer.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I can relate. I was like that for a long time but pork rind phobia can be overcome over time. The only recipe that I've tried so far that had that gloopy consitency was a stuffing recipe. I don't think that stuffing made with the muffins would have the same problem because the muffins are a lot more bread-like than just crushed pork rinds. This morning I sliced and toasted up the rest of that muffin from the other day and got it nice and brown and crunchy. It was a nice snack but it was a little crumbly. I'm going to try making pork rind muffin "crackers" sometime using the BBQ pork rind crumbs that I've got in the freezer.
Linda, do you think increasing egg, or egg white-- and maybe cream might make the muffins less crumbly?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Linda, do you think increasing egg, or egg white-- and maybe cream might make the muffins less crumbly?
I don't know. It might make them too eggy. It might also make them so soft that they wouldn't get crisp when toasted. It might be worth a try though. Although my little crackers were crumbly, they didn't completely fall apart when I ate them. I picked them up and nibbled on them. They just tended to leave little crumbs on the plate. I like the consistency as there are and adding more egg might change that. An extra egg might be good if you're going to turn the muffins into stuffing cubes though.

By the way, the muffins themselves aren't crumbly. It's only when you try to slice them really thin to make crackers that they start to crumble a little. I sliced mine about 1/8-1/4" thick.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't know. It might make them too eggy. It might also make them so soft that they wouldn't get crisp when toasted. It might be worth a try though. Although my little crackers were crumbly, they didn't completely fall apart when I ate them. I picked them up and nibbled on them. They just tended to leave little crumbs on the plate. I like the consistency as there are and adding more egg might change that. An extra egg might be good if you're going to turn the muffins into stuffing cubes though.

By the way, the muffins themselves aren't crumbly. It's only when you try to slice them really thin to make crackers that they start to crumble a little. I sliced mine about 1/8-1/4" thick.
This is good to know. Thanks for the info!