Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Iwill
erythritol syrup

Hi everyone,
Has anyone experimented with making a simple syrup with erythritol/stevia/polydextrose or inulin? Would appreciate any thots.
Iwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Isomalt Mock light corn syrup experiment
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
for what use exactly? something for cocktails would be a lot different than something for baking, for example, I think.

the point of simple syrup is normally to use in cold beverages so it dissolves more readily.

you do know both DaVinci and Torani make these with splenda, right? but if you wanted splenda you could just use EZSweetz and not need the syrup...

hmmmmmmm
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Iwill
erythritol syrup

I am aware of all the artificial sweeteners such as splenda, davinci, etc, but trying to avoid those and the other sugar alcohols, erythritol seems to be the healthiest least problematic sweeteners out there. I am trying to perfect a recipe for a simple syrup that will mimic the qualities of honey or agave, I've prepared an erythritol/stevia blend that tastes great but now need to blend it with either a polydextrose or inulin to thwart the crystallization and cooling effects of erythritol. My end product will be a 95% raw high fiber/protein low carb power bar with negligible effects on blood sugar. So thanks for any advice or recipes blending erythritol/inulin/stevia/Polyd into a simple room temperature non-crystalizing syrup.
Iwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dino999
I'd like to revive this thread about simple syrups used for flavoring cold beverages.

I found Zevia brand sodas use a blend of erythritol and stevia to sweeten their sodas; however, my attempts at making syrup using erythritol, stevia, water, and citric acid (used as a natural preservative in soda syrups) have failed in recrystallization upon cooling.

Ingredients used in Zevia Root Beer soda:

http://www6.netrition.com/zevia.html

Here are the numbers. Per 355ml can (12 fl oz)

Mostly water
7g Erythritol
?g stevia
and natural flavorings in small amounts (oils, extracts, etc)

I normally build recipes by weight of ingredients, not volume.

I have not tried just trying to replicate 1 can of soda as is (using 355g of water to 7g Erythritol) since I want a compact way (ie syrup) of storing flavors for later use.

Anyone have success creating syrups from erythritol without recrystallization? It should be possible even without gums or starches since the Zevia guys do this. It might not be possible without some industrial mechanical process (using high amounts of pressure, super hot liquid, etc).
dino999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Iwill, I use crushed saccharine tablets. Here is what Dr. Richard Bernstein recommends. This list is from one of his websites:

• Saccharin tablets or liquid (Sweet’n Low)
• Aspartame tablets (Equal, NutraSweet)
Acesulfame-K (Sunette, The Sweet One) — Not yet available in tablets or liquid form.
Stevia powder or liquid — Has not been approved in the European Union.
• Sucralose (Splenda) — This is actually a sugar (the –ose ending indicates sugar), but one that the body does not recognize and does not break down. It is not yet available in the United States in tablet or liquid form, except in things like Da Vinci syrups. Demand is such, however, that a liquid version may soon be available in the United States.
• Neotame — Newly approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) but so far only being marketed to manufacturers.
• Cyclamate tablets and liquid — Not yet available in the United States, but sold in Canada under the name Sugar Twin.

His comments after that list:

* Many Web sites falsely perpetuate the myth that aspartame is toxic because its metabolism produces the poison methanol. In reality, one 12-ounce can of an aspartame-sweetened soft drink generates only ˝5 as much methanol as does a glass of milk.

These are all noncarbohydrate sweeteners that vary in their availability and can be used to satisfy a sweet tooth without, for the most part, affecting blood sugars. But when sold in powdered form, under such brand names as Sweet’n Low, Equal, The Sweet One, Sunette, Sugar Twin, Splenda, and others, these products usually contain a sugar to increase bulk, and will rapidly raise blood sugar. They are all orders of magnitude sweeter tasting than sugar. So when you buy them in packets
and powdered form, with the exception of stevia, they usually contain about 96 percent glucose or maltodextrin and about 4 percent artificial sweetener. If you read the “Nutrition Facts” label on Splenda, for example, it lists, as such labels must, ingredients in order from most to least: dextrose (glucose), maltodextrin (a mixture of sugars), and finally sucralose.Most powdered sweeteners are sold as low-calorie and/or sugar-free sweeteners because they contain only 1 gram of a sugar as compared to 3 grams of sucrose in a similar paper packet labeled “sugar.” More suitable for diabetics are tablet sweeteners such as saccharin, cyclamate, and aspartame. As noted above, the same brand name can denote multiple products: Equal is a powder containing 96 percent glucose and also a tablet containing a minuscule (acceptable) amount of lactose. Sweet’n Low powder is saccharin with 96 percent glucose. Stevia powder and liquid (sold in health food stores) contain no sugar of any kind and only minute amounts of carbohydrate.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 02-15-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
You can actually buy erythritol syrups, flavored and not. They're made to flavor snow cones, among other uses.
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Yes, the sf Monin syrups are made with erythritol. They're my syrup of choice; seem to be thicker than the Da Vinci or Torani.
pendragginp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
The monin syrups have sucralose in them. I would also love to build a eryth. Syrup that doesn't crystallize for use in boiled icings, buttercreams, Italian meringues etc.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
subbing
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
The monin syrups have sucralose in them.
Yes, you're right, erythritol and sucralose.
pendragginp is online now   Reply With Quote