Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Pork Rinds In My Meatloaf (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/717728-pork-rinds-my-meatloaf.html)

mmorris 04-17-2011 03:00 PM

Pork Rinds In My Meatloaf

So I bit the bullet and tried pork rinds (ground down) in place of bread crumbs in my meatloaf... and boy was it yummy. :clap:
It may sound strange since a lot of people use them .. I just couldn't get past the smell.... (smells yucky too me:sick:)
So now I will try them for coating chicken and things like that :)

EveH 04-17-2011 03:06 PM

Absolutely try them with your chicken and fish. DH says it is better than flour. I love them in the meatloaf and I also use it in my fish cakes and salmon patties. I may try them in my dressing the next time I make it too. DH loves pork rinds so adding them wouldn't be a problem but to tell you the truth, you can't really taste them in anything I have tried them in.

Charski 04-17-2011 03:16 PM

Believe it or not, I used crushed plain pork rinds, cinnamon, and Diabetisweet brown, plus 2 tablespoons of pecan meal, as a "crisp" topping last night for my faux apple crisp (using chayotes in place of apples) - it's pretty durn good!

Wishin 04-18-2011 10:14 AM

Hi, I don't like just plain pork rinds as my chicken and fish coating. I like to add parmesan cheese also.

Steak_Fanatic 04-18-2011 05:53 PM

I used to refuse adding them to my meatloaf because I got sick of them. After I tried it I almost preferred it. They really aren't too bad of a snack.

When I ate them regularly, I would always make a dip with sour cream, mayo, onion, and a fresh herb. Sometimes I added feta or blue cheese. A good generic recipe for veggie dip too.:up:

mmorris 04-19-2011 06:39 AM

I guess there are many uses for port rinds.. I can't wait to try them all :)

oakdalemoe 04-19-2011 11:09 AM

Try "Healthy Life" bread crumbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by EveH (Post 14569816)
Absolutely try them with your chicken and fish. DH says it is better than flour. I love them in the meatloaf and I also use it in my fish cakes and salmon patties. I may try them in my dressing the next time I make it too. DH loves pork rinds so adding them wouldn't be a problem but to tell you the truth, you can't really taste them in anything I have tried them in.

Toast a slice of their bread and make crumbs in your processor or blender. One slice will coat a chicken breast dip in an Eggbeater and then coat-only 5 carbs. Or toast 4 slices and process for meatloaf, makes 1 cup, only 20 carbs.

Aomiel 04-19-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakdalemoe (Post 14575047)
Toast a slice of their bread and make crumbs in your processor or blender. One slice will coat a chicken breast dip in an Eggbeater and then coat-only 5 carbs. Or toast 4 slices and process for meatloaf, makes 1 cup, only 20 carbs.

For many of us, it's not just the 'number' of carbs, but the type of carbs. While 5 carbs isn't much, the wheat based bread is a big problem. I'm curious though as to what kind of break you're using that only has 5 carbs. Even the diet bread has 10 or more.

Linnylamb 04-19-2011 05:49 PM

I love pork rinds in my meatloaf too. Sometimes I mix them with a little parm cheese. Had to reduce the salt in my old recipe though. Pork rinds are salty enough.

kcladyz 06-02-2013 11:13 AM

Wow that is a great idea. who would have thought using pork rinds

Smiles 06-02-2013 03:36 PM

I just used pork rinds to bread crumb the top of a chicken recipe I made last night. So yummy!

Tracy

Ntombi 06-02-2013 04:06 PM

I use a combination of pork rinds and Parmesan cheese as a coating for my oven fried chicken. Delicious. :)

Widget 06-02-2013 09:09 PM

I use pork rinds in my meatballs as well as meatloaf. Very good. I just wish they weren't so high in calories.

Beth2013 06-05-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16451893)
I use a combination of pork rinds and Parmesan cheese as a coating for my oven fried chicken. Delicious. :)

I did this last night with chicken breasts. You are right!!! It is sooooo delicious!

(I was craving crunchy -- fixed me right up lol).