Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Banana syrup / flavoring / extract something? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/717140-banana-syrup-flavoring-extract-something.html)

Coots 04-11-2011 05:40 PM

Banana syrup / flavoring / extract something?

Is there anything with banana flavoring / syrup etc that I could add to one minute muffins that is still low carb?

My idea was to take some banana something and a few crushed up Almonds .... Banana Nut Bread anyone?

I just don't know if they make anything banana that we LCers can have

LindaSue 04-11-2011 05:49 PM

Not a 1 Minute Muffin but how about something like this:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/food_ph...ut_muffins.jpg

BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS
4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
1/2 cup golden flax meal, 2 ounces
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 ounce walnuts, chopped, 1/4 cup
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon banana extract
1/2 teaspoon caramel extract, optional
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs

In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, nuts and granular Splenda, if using. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in the liquid Splenda, if using, the extracts, cream and water. Add the dry ingredients and the eggs to the butter mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them. You can spray the liners with cooking spray, but they don't seem to stick too much. Bake at 350 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

TIP: You can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and store them in a zipper bag in the freezer until you're ready to make the muffins. Be sure to label the bag and bring the muffin mix to room temperature before using.

With granular Splenda:
Per Muffin: 280 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Muffin: 264 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Coots 04-11-2011 05:50 PM

Thanks LINDA! I love your site! Going to try them out!

Coots 04-11-2011 05:57 PM

Linda, do you happen to have a link to some banana extract listed in your post? I'd love to get some ordered and apparently netrition doesn't have any.

Also, it links to the EZ-Sweetz liquid splenda... is this ok? I get confused about this since it isn't the 'Splenda" brand name.

drjlocarb 04-11-2011 08:00 PM

Banana extract is available at any grocery store in the baking section. You should go check it out. There are all kinds of flavors to try.

There is no liquid "Splenda", they are all liquid sucralose.

fourstubbs 04-11-2011 09:25 PM

Coots, Netrition does have LorAnn banana cream. :) Netrition's LorAnn Oils Prices I got this for my sister, who is also a heavy duty Alabama fan, her dogs name is Tide. LOL!!! Her name here is Annagm.... Hope this helps... you can also do what the others suggested and get it at the store, but I am guessing the oil is probably more concentrated...

Beezer Louisiana 04-11-2011 09:29 PM

I use a small dash of banana extract and vanilla extract together in my MIMs made with 3/4 parts almond flour and 1/4 part flax meal and they are great! Remember to add plenty of cinnamon! :)

ravenrose 04-11-2011 10:56 PM

I love banana nut muffins! I have tried a bunch of things to make them.

The best by far is DaVinci Banana sf syrup combined with any of the caramel sf syrups from DaVinci or Torani. The caramel, in a smaller quantity, say 1/4 to 1/3 of the total syrup used, mellows the fake banana flavor.

I have tried several extracts and while they are ok, they don't totally convince me.

I use chopped walnuts in them.

LindaSue 04-12-2011 06:40 AM

I like Kroger's banana flavoring. It's not naturally flavored but to me it tastes more like real bananas than some of the other brands that I've tried.

PaminKY 04-12-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 14554647)
I like Kroger's banana flavoring. It's not naturally flavored but to me it tastes more like real bananas than some of the other brands that I've tried.

I second the Kroger but if you can't find it the McCormick brand is good too and Wal-Mart carries it. I've got the Lorann Banana Cream and while it's good you need to only use drops of it or it will be too strong.

ladyflower 04-12-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 14553670)

BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs

In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, nuts and granular Splenda, if using. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in the liquid Splenda, if using, the extracts, cream and water. Add the dry ingredients and the eggs to the butter mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them. You can spray the liners with cooking spray, but they don't seem to stick too much. Bake at 350 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

TIP: You can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and store them in a zipper bag in the freezer until you're ready to make the muffins. Be sure to label the bag and bring the muffin mix to room temperature before using.

With granular Splenda:
Per Muffin: 280 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Muffin: 264 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I made these up tonight. My silicone muffin pan is smaller than normal muffin size so I ended up with 10 muffins at around 2g net carbs each. I did make minor changes - left out the walnuts since I didn't have any and I added some cinnamon since I love cinnamon. :) I also added an extra tsp of banana extract so it was extra banana-y. These are so much nicer than the OMM since they don't have that spongy texture that the OMM does when cooked in the microwave.

joanne_v 02-27-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 14553670)

BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:

With liquid Splenda:

I made these tonight, I followed the recipe exactly, and they are absolutely delicious!!! They only make six muffins though, which I could eat while watching Survivor (jk) so I'll have to try doubling the recipe. Thanks LindaSue!!