Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyflower
Stats: 307/280/240 (mini goal)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart - 02/16/11
Side effects of Sugar Alcohols

From reading all the SF candy posts lately I see that a lot of people have :blush: issues from consuming too many sugar alcohols. Can anyone explain to me why that is and what it means if you don't get any side effects? I've also seen a lot of people have issues with too much coconut oil as well. I haven't had any problems and I'm wondering if that's a good or bad thing.
ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I've heard that if the sugar alcohols don't give you diarrhea, you are more likely to be digesting them as real sugar. however, they bother me that way AND I digest them just like sugar, so who knows?

it's good when they cause that problem because it discourages overconsumption! LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflower View Post
From reading all the SF candy posts lately I see that a lot of people have :blush: issues from consuming too many sugar alcohols. Can anyone explain to me why that is and what it means if you don't get any side effects? I've also seen a lot of people have issues with too much coconut oil as well. I haven't had any problems and I'm wondering if that's a good or bad thing.
Hi ladyflower…
No, it's a nice thing to not have issues with sugar alcohols, coconut oils, and many other wonderful additions to low carb eating. We attract a lot of posts about ''issues'' and not many that start off ''I'm just doing great how are you all doing?!!''

Glad you are not reacting, and I'm doing great - even with non-sugar sweeteners of all sorts - and glad to hear you are too. Love my coconut oil and bacon a bunch as well.

I've not had any issues. Don't know if I should be sharing advice since I've only been at this for a couple and a half years, and have only lost 110 pounds.

But my gut says you are just doing fine, and enjoy what you eat.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena1 View Post
Hi,

I´m new here! I´ve done some research on low carb sweeteners and I´ve read that sugar alcohols can cause tummy upsets... but apart from that, research has shown that artifical sweeteners, and even natural sweetners like stevia, actually cause weight gain. The reason for this is because the body thinks it is getting sugar and acts accordingly:

Researchers fed two groups of rats yoghurt. In the first group the yoghurt was sweetened with sugar. In the second group it was sweetened with saccharin. The researchers noticed that over two weeks the rats given saccharin yoghurt ate more than the other rats. Apparently their appetite had been stimulated. What's more they gained more weight and their body fat increased.
AND - the rats fed with saccarhin showed a decrease in core temperature which means their metabolism had SLOWED DOWN. [The Journal of Behavioral Neuroscience 2008:feb, Swithers, Davidson]

The only sweetener I found that was low carb, healthy AND actually helped weight loss was yacon syrup:

When obese pre-menopausal women were given 20g of yacon syrup every day for 120 days the results showed that: "Daily intake of yacon syrup produced a significant decrease in body weight, waist circumference and body mass index."["Yacon Syrup; beneficial effects on obesity and insuling resistance in humans" Clinical Nutrition. Gentaa; Cabreraa ]

Personally I love yacon syrup, it tastes like molasses, and if you combine it with coconut oil and almond flour you can bake cake and cookies that are good for you and help you lose weight.

Your statement about stevia causing weight gain is wrong and secondly your information about yacon syrup is also wrong. Yacon syrup may not contain glucose but it does contain a very large amount of fructose which can be even more unhealthy.

From Wkipedia:

The syrup contains up to 50% of FOS (fructooligosacharides). The consumption of FOS does not increase blood glucose. However, since any inulin-derived sweetener has large amounts of fructose, the same concerns about the health effects of fructose apply.

Last edited by PaminKY; 04-12-2011 at 11:23 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rorita
Stats: (189) 152/145/130 5'5"
WOE: hcg subq
Start Date: 8/20/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I've heard that if the sugar alcohols don't give you diarrhea, you are more likely to be digesting them as real sugar. however, they bother me that way AND I digest them just like sugar, so who knows?

it's good when they cause that problem because it discourages overconsumption! LOL

I think that's an old low-carb wive's tale because I've never read it anywhere except on the boards as hearsay.
rorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I have read that different artificial sweeteners have different effects on insulin. I know that sacchirin does raise insulin, but as far as I know neither sucralose nor stevia do the same thing.
Erythritol has the least negative effects on the digestive system. And yet it is proven that it is the least digested-90% comes through within 24 hours undigested.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Sheena--do you have a financial tie to Yacon manufacturers? Just asking--you have been posting exclusively about Yacon.

What percentage of Yacon is fructose? I am not sure whether I want any fructose at all--that being said, I use Yacon syrup to flavour my erythritol brown sugar blend--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Sheena--do you have a financial tie to Yacon manufacturers? Just asking--you have been posting exclusively about Yacon.

What percentage of Yacon is fructose? I am not sure whether I want any fructose at all--that being said, I use Yacon syrup to flavour my erythritol brown sugar blend--
It does seem that way, doesn't it?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I have read that different artificial sweeteners have different effects on insulin. I know that sacchirin does raise insulin, but as far as I know neither sucralose nor stevia do the same thing.
Erythritol has the least negative effects on the digestive system. And yet it is proven that it is the least digested-90% comes through within 24 hours undigested.
Maybe this is also why I haven't been having any problems. I've been using Truvia for my baking/candies which is Erythritol. I also use Davinci's syrups and a small bit of Stevia. Though I have been guilty of eating a whole lot of coconut oil in one day with no bad side effects so I guess I should count myself lucky!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
There are some things with sugar alcohols that I love...Nips, Eskimo Pie NSA ice cream bars, Russell Stover candies (the toffee ones are the best IMO). I have to be careful not to eat very many or I will have problems.:blush: But eating these sweets doesn't seem to make me gain. I can't lose when I'm eating that stuff, though, so I just try to avoid it when I'm in a losing mode!
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
Is Isomalt a sugar alcohol? If so, I just discovered today that I cannot tolerate SF Ricola cough drops. Took me two cough drops to figure it out, but wow. Trips to the bathroom shotly after each drop. Awful.

Stevia, which I use all the time causes no issues. I have also used Xylitol and E with no issues.
mrsitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I THINK that I read that the intestinal issues comes from the alcohols sort of fermenting in the intestines...I might be wrong though. Maltilol affects me horribly. Xylitol if I use too much and erythritol the least though it too gets me if I use too much.
I don't know why manufacturers use maltilol so much (cheaper maybe??).
This is why I mix my sweeteners together with splenda and stevia powders.

As for why some people are affected and others not...it would seem to me that maybe our digestive systems (the digestive enzymes) might be different in some way.
Same way with fiber. Some folks seem to be able to ingest large amounts of fiber with
no problems. Others of us....BIG problems!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsitaly View Post
Is Isomalt a sugar alcohol? If so, I just discovered today that I cannot tolerate SF Ricola cough drops. Took me two cough drops to figure it out, but wow. Trips to the bathroom shotly after each drop. Awful.

Stevia, which I use all the time causes no issues. I have also used Xylitol and E with no issues.
Yes, isomalt is a sugar alcohol. Sorbitol, mannitol, maltitol, there are others too which bother me in varying degrees.

Xylitol and erythritol don't bother me at all.

Stevia, of course, is not a sugar alcohol, nor is Splenda, although some people avoid it because they're worried about the possible effects of it down the road somewhere. I use it on occasion, but prefer stevia and erythritol most of the time.

Another one to watch out for isn't truly a sugar alcohol because it's not sweet on its own, but polydextrose - man that stuff tears me up. In ANY amount.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
[QUOTE=Charski;14559514]Yes, isomalt is a sugar alcohol. Sorbitol, mannitol, maltitol, there are others too which bother me in varying degrees.

thanks for this. I cannot believe how two innocent looking cough drops affected me so muh.
mrsitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Well at least you know what did it, and to avoid it from now on!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzanne R
Stats: 256/205/160
WOE: Low Carb/VSG
Start Date: March 2013
Sugar Alcohols cause diarrhea because they fall in a category called osmotic diuretics. When ingested, they pull water from the circulatory system into the intestines. So, your poor ol' intestines fill with excess water and then.....well, we all know the result. In fact, mannitol, a favorite sugar alcohol was once (and possibly still is in some places) used intravenously to decrease intracranial pressure in severe head injuries, as it pulls water out of every organ - including a swollen brain - into the circulatory system so that it can be excreted by the kidneys.
Suzanne R is offline   Reply With Quote