Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Broccoli Salad - My first recipe post. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/716752-broccoli-salad-my-first-recipe-post.html)

Coots 04-07-2011 06:11 PM

Broccoli Salad - My first recipe post.

1 Bunch of Broccoli (fresh from the produce section) or 1 - 12oz. bag of fresh florets, makes it easier because they are already chopped)
Onion to taste (we leave it out to lower carbs count)
2 Cups of fancy shredded cheese (or your favorite)
1lb. of bacon cooked and crumbled (Bake your bacon in the oven for nice crispy strips, easy to crumble)

Mix Broccoli, onion, cheese and bacon in large bowl.

Make dressing
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1/2 Cup Splenda
1/4 Cup Vinegar

Mix ingredients well. Pour over salad and toss, stir well. Keep refrigerated.
Another addition would be to put in some Almonds, Pecans or your favorite nuts. My wife made this tonight and I liked it a lot.

Note: I haven't got my Atkins book in yet, so if a more experienced Atkins or LC'er could comment on induction ingredients etc. that would be great.

JeniferCA 04-07-2011 06:21 PM

Roll Tide, Coots! :) Your salad sounds great!

Jaded62 04-07-2011 06:34 PM

Coots, sounds good,thanks. Did you check out your other thread in the main lobby??

Coots 04-07-2011 06:36 PM

Roll Tide! I'm usually not one for this type of stuff, but she said I'd like it, and heck... I did. It'll probably be a now and again thing in the WOE ;)

Coots 04-07-2011 06:37 PM

@Jaded... which one, I've started a few... I'm so full of questions.... oops :)

Charski 04-07-2011 06:45 PM

You know green onion is fairly low in carbs, right? That's what I used during induction - I love some onion and green is just as good as any IMHO! :)

I make a similar salad - it's really good, isn't it??

JeniferCA 04-07-2011 06:58 PM

I'm definitely going to try this. Anyone think it would be good with that pre-shredded broccoli slaw?

Coots 04-07-2011 07:08 PM

If you wanted it more like the slaw / side dish, that would be good.... the broccoli florets really makes it 'meatier' if that makes sense... the tangy / sweet of the dressing is yummy!

Iwantlessofme 04-07-2011 09:41 PM

Now all we need is a picture of this wonderful sounding salad...

Mindy

Jaded62 04-07-2011 09:52 PM

Coots, it is the one about the information on induction foods. I just told you about the ATKINS website.It has a list about what to eat and not to eat and what to and not do. Thought you might like to look at it. Just google it.

Coots 04-08-2011 04:56 AM

Thanks Jaded, I read it this morning. I'm loving this site & loving this WOE!

ljguitar 04-08-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coots (Post 14543132)
...Note: I haven't got my Atkins book in yet, so if a more experienced Atkins or LC'er could comment on induction ingredients etc. that would be great.

Hi Coots…
We also sub lime juice for the vinegar for a lime/mayo dressing.

If you use liquid splenda, you will lower your carbs substantially over packets or powdered (perhaps you already are doing that)

mojave 04-08-2011 09:39 AM

I make a version of this salad as well. I do pre cook the broccoli to tender crisp, don't like raw broccoli.