Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbinga2
breakfast ideas for a group? i've been assigned breakfast at a retreat

i'm going to next weekend. i would LOVE to make something that is lc AND yummy for everyone like a casserole. i used to make several that had bread in them and sweet ones where the base was crescent rolls. another gal is bringing quiche for one of the lunches so i don't really think i should repeat that and i'd rather not have to make individual servings for 8 people.

can you think of a good casserole or other yummy something?
barbinga2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Imake frittas and quiches because they look so pretty.
You could also make a cinnamon apple (chayote) coffee cake or scottish eggs.

Last edited by rosethorns; 04-07-2011 at 09:13 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
I'm trying to think of something... actually have the same dilemma this week-end. I'll check back if I come up with any good ideas.

I think there are some good quiche/muffin recipes here somewhere. Little individual ones like that might be nice. (The ones I like have sausage in them, and I'm trying to come up with vegetarian ideas for one of our guests.)
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: that1redhead
Stats: 240/203/145
Start Date: 1/8/04 restart 1/1/2014
How about the ziploc omelets?

You put beaten eggs and whatever ingredients you want in individual baggies and you throw them in boiling water until they are cooked then everyone gets one. Google it for complete details.
that1redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
How about the cinnamon rolls and cherry (or other filling)
Danish? Those are pretty easy to make, you could make them up ahead, then have a nice fresh fruit platter to go with.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

you teasing me charski? lc?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JeniferCA
Stats: 219/206/155
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: November 2011
What about the raspberry almond coffee cake from Linda Sue's website? She also has a recipe for normal coffee cake, too.
JeniferCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I would do a meatier breakfast casserole, maybe.

One pound of cooked sausage meat spread into a 9 x 13 pan. Then add some cooked
green pepper, red and yellow pepper with cooked onion on the second layer.
Third layer might have to be eggs..maybe 4 eggs mixed with 1/2 cup of cream..Poured over..Then top with lots of shredded cheese. Bake for 30-50 minutes until done.

The "egg" part would only hold the rest of the stuff together, if you KWIM..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
This is my standard company breakfast casserole which is always met with rave reviews. It's one of those recipes that is so much better than the sum of its parts. There are 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 cup of corn in it which are not low carb. You could leave out the corn and possibly the flour but divided 8-10 ways I don't think it's really a huge deal. For a once-in-a-while thing I leave them both in as I like how the corn looks and tastes in it.

Southwestern Egg Casserole

One (1 lb) tube breakfast sausage
8 eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
2 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack & Cheddar cheese combination
1 cup whole kernel corn, frozen or canned
1/4 cup better, melted
4 oz. canned, diced green chiles (not jalapenos!)

Salsa and sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter or coat an 8 cup oven-proof casserole dish. Crumble and cook sausage. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs, add flour and combine well. Stir in rest of ingredients, except salsa and sour cream. Add cooked sausage. Pour into casserole dish. Place into a water bath and bake for one hour (or longer depending on shape and size of dish) until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.

You can double this but don't use too deep a dish or it's hard to get it done without scorching the top and edges. The water bath helps with this problem because I've forgotten to put it in a water bath before and it got rather crusty. I find it cooks best in a dish that allows it to be about 1 1/2 inches deep so maybe a 2 inch deep dish that will hold 8 cups (or 16 if you're doubling it).
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I made a White Castle Quiche pie. (See Linda Sue's recipe but add eggs.) Very rich but tasty!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Ohhhhhhhhhh! Carolyn that sounds wonderful. Yummy.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Bobo (I think) once posted an awesome one that my family loves, and we make it for a lot of get togethers.

Basically you brown some loose sausage (hot or not) and ground beef, drain off the grease. Add in a pack of cream cheese stirring til it gets melty in with the meat mix. That gets mixed together with some sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Combine veggies and meat mixture into a 9x13, cover with 6-8 beaten eggs (depending on how eggy you like it). Top that with some shredded cheese (can go spicy with pepperjack or use cheddar, etc.). Bake in oven at 350 or so until eggs are cooked through (roughly a half hour). You can try searching for his recipe, I'm just going from memory here. So good!
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

here's the actual recipe that I found on another thread:

Breakfast casserole dish (these are not my notes, they are the original notes from Bobo with respect to directions, etc.)

-1lb ground beef
-1lb ground sausage (i use HOT)
-1 block cream cheese (8oz?)
-half an onion
-half a green bell pepper
-a carton of fresh mushrooms
-a few eggs (2-8 based on preference)
-shredded cheese (@2-4 cups, again preference)
-Chalula hot sauce (optional of course)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
I chop the veggies and get them sautéing in a large pot/pan in olive or coconut oil. I start with the GBP and onion because I don't like them to be crunchy and they take longer to get soft. After the GBP starts to get soft I throw in both of the meats and get them browned up almost done (toss in a little salt and pepper). Drain grease and return to pan. Put in block of CC over low heat (to help melt) until thoroughly mixed. (This is where you can add some hot sauce of your choice to the mixture if you want. I like mine a little on the spicy side and sometimes I add it here and sometimes I just put it on top after I get a slice from the fridge.) Spread mixture into a well greased 9x13 pan. (for some reason I have not had good luck with PAM, the mixture still sticks to the glass. Butter seems to work better for me, but it is totally up to you.) I evenly spread out the meat mixture but don't pack it down too tight. In a separate bowl I beat up a few eggs (I would say 4 is a safe place to start if you don't like eggs, but I use 6 or 7) and salt and pepper. Pour egg snot over meat mixture and then cover with your favorite shredded cheese. I use the WalMart brand Colby jack mix and probably use about 3-4 cups because I love cheese
Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbinga2 View Post
you teasing me charski? lc?
LOL! NOT teasing - here is the link for the Danish, and if you scroll down to post #29 I've put the link for the cinnamon rolls (from which the Danish was spawned) in that reply.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ry-danish.html
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

thanks everyone for the great suggestions. charsky those danish look yummy but i have no confidence in my baking skills and wouldn't want to poison my friends.

i'm thinking the one with the cream cheese mixed with the meat and veggies sounds different enough from a quiche and sounds really yummy. a lot of them do though. so on the cream cheese one - it says 2-8 eggs. that's quite a range. lol. brittone is it too eggy with 8 eggs? i'm thinking i would need that many to feed 8 ladies?

thanks y'all.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I usually use about 6 eggs. Just make sure you have enough eggs to kind of distribute around the baking dish (9x13).

It is pretty forgiving IME.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

thank you.