Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Talk to me about shirataki noodles...

What are these? What do you use them for? Are they tasty?? Thanks!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
I went on a hunt for these recently. When I found them finally, they looked like a soggy mess of ramen noodles in some unclear fluid.

Just the look of them, and the way some people described them here, turned me off.

I guess I'm really only interested in noodles if they're wet and soggy after I make them...not before purchase.

I didn't buy them.

I think I would however buy the uncooked kind, if such a thing exists.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
to me they are death by really really horrible tasting and textured icky things. some people love them. hard to tell till you try them.

even though I KNOW I hate them, every time I see a bag for 79 cents or 99 cents I get to thinking how bad can they be? and I try them, and remember. worse than that. LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Julie: In my opinion, the best kind are the House brand combining tofu and shirataki.
They are much more palatable and have the texture of a real noodle without the carbs.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Ah. Thanks! Too bad I did an impulse buy through Netrition for 10 bags! LOL! Hopefully I love 'em!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Julie: The plain ones aren't bad if you add alot of stuff to them..and be sure to dry them out well..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
Received some via UPS today!! Homemade Alfredo sauce with some chicken and shirataki noodles. I rinsed them well first, they do smell bad, then just tossed them in the pot. MMMM
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyflower
Stats: 307/280/240 (mini goal)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart - 02/16/11
I actually really like them. However I've only tried them one way. From what I had read the best way to use them is in asian dishes. I rinse them under running water. They do have a little fishy smell in the bag but it rinses off easily. I marinate the noodles in some soy sauce, garlic, green onion. I added some shredded cabbage and "stir fried" it for about 10 minutes. Soooo yummy! I think I could eat this every day.

The only thing I hate about these noodles is the cost! It's about $3 a bag which makes 1 meal for me.

Mini goal #1 - Get back to first pre-pregnancy weight of 240lbs.
ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflower View Post
I actually really like them. However I've only tried them one way. From what I had read the best way to use them is in asian dishes. I rinse them under running water. They do have a little fishy smell in the bag but it rinses off easily. I marinate the noodles in some soy sauce, garlic, green onion. I added some shredded cabbage and "stir fried" it for about 10 minutes. Soooo yummy! I think I could eat this every day.

The only thing I hate about these noodles is the cost! It's about $3 a bag which makes 1 meal for me.
Totally agree with you, Ladyflower. The clear (no Tofu added) shirataki reminds me a lot of the transparent Chinese "glass" or "cellaphone" noodles I ate growing up, just a little chewier. The Chinese "glass" noodles are usually made from mung bean starch which is high in carbs. Characteristicaly speaking they are very bland on their own but absorb the flavor of whatever they're cooked in. I'm so happy to finally find a subsitute for those dishes I had to give up since low-carbing, but would definitely like for it to be less expensive.

Is there an Asian grocer closer to where you live? The best deal I've been able to find is the JFC brand clear shirataki (16 oz) between $1.89 to $2.09 a bag at those places around Atlanta, GA. We go shop for Chinese groceries once a month (a 4 hour round-trip) and I always stock up on shirataki. Talk about being obsessed
ev.cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I actually love them. Rinse them well, and hold the bag away from your nose when you cut them open. Dump them in a colander and rinse for about 20 seconds. Dry in a hot hot pan for at least 5 minutes. I also cut mine into about 1/4ths with kitchen scissors. They take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in.

I just got 2 cases yesterday from Konjac. One case of angel hair, and the other case of mixed shapes.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I do know where one asian grocer used to be. Was close to where I grew up so I'm not sure if it's there any more. Maybe I'll have to make a trip out there one day. The only place I have found them is at Meijer since they have all the specialty food sections. They only have the non-tofu kind so that's all I've tried. They are $2.79 a bag normal price, don't know if they ever go on sale. I just hope I'm not the only one buying them because I would hate for them to stop carrying them!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I agree with CarolynF about the House Brand being quite good. Whole Foods carries them.
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PIKNIK
Stats: 169/142/138 5'10
WOE: VLC w/egg fasting. Maintaining 20-60g
Start Date: 3/11
I picked up my first bag last week. I'm afraid to open it Are the noodles induction friendly?
PIKNIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Ok. Rinse and plug nose. Duly noted. I'm actually crossing my fingers that I like them... i would loooove to eat some pasta or chicken noodle soup. I crave the texture of noodles!

ETA: MsWoods: it's actually all your fault I bought them... I noticed in the 'what's your menu' threads you frequently eat them. Given your success losing weight, I figured I'd give 'em a go, too! LOL!

Last edited by juliekaboolie; 04-06-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey Juliiiiiiiiiie-

Chicken noodle soup-
Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I do NOT like them as a general pasta substitute, because the texture is just all wrong for me - but I DO like them in any Asian-inspired dish, like chow mein, lo mein, stir fry, my buta kimchee; and they're acceptable in soups too.

I prefer the tofu type, even though I normally avoid unfermented soy products - but since I eat these maybe 3 times a year, I don't worry about it overly much.

For those of you who can't find a good source locally, you can order them online from Konjac Foods and of course our own good sponsor, Netrition, where you get a flat $4.95 shipping rate as much stuff as you care to order!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

I love netrition, but I wanted to mention to those that want to buy it by the case, if you order them from Konjac foods, it is $35 including shipping, for a case of 9oz packages. Netrition has them for $63.99 per case, plus $5 shipping, for 7oz packages.

The 9oz packages have far less water in them and, to me, it just looks like way way more product per package. Not to mention half the price.

That said, I guess I'm odd. I like them perfectly for a pasta substitute. But we're talking about a person that went without real pasta, even dreamfields, for almost 2 years. I recently had dreamfields for the first time, and surely won't do it again, at least until maintenance. I don't think there's anything special about it.
The Shiratake, on the other hand, I really eat it almost daily, and the texture doesn't bother me one bit, because I didn't expect it to be exactly like real pasta.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

So, I looked at the Konjac websight and with shipping it's $35 ($1.46/bag) for the angel hair and $45 ($1.88/bag) for all the other kinds. Considering I pay $2.79 per bag of angel hair at Meijer (and I think they are 5 oz bags) I might have to buy a case online.

MsWoods - you said you got a case of mixed kinds. Do you like the other ones? Not sure how I would like all the other shapes. I'm also wondering how long of an expiration date do these have? I have been eating about 2 bags a week so a case would last me 2-3 months. Though if I have a case I might just eat them all in a month or two!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

ladyflower-I haven't tried the mixed case yet. I will report back when I do. Might be a week or so.

I believe they have a 1 year shelf life.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. The ones I bought in the grocery store had a very short exp date (within the month), but if they're not a big seller they may have been sitting there for a while.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissOutandAbout
Stats: 210/189/?
WOE: SB / Low Carb-esque
Start Date: 21 Feb 2010
Newb to the boards but not to low-carb.

I've only just recently discovered these noodles; I certainly didn't know of them way back when I was on Atkins 6-7 years ago. We have an H-Mart by us and they sell the tofu variety.

I them. If I could, I'd eat them every day. They make for excellent stir-fry noodles. As was mentioned above, I rinse them well and dry them out in a hot frying pan.
MissOutandAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Ooooh!! Thank you for the pictures, MsWoods! Nummers!!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I just heard about these on the news tonight. They called them "Miracle Noodles". I believe the actual root is called "Koon Yook". I don't understand why they smell fishy unless it has something to do with preserving them. I can't wait to try them. I've had a cold and fever and couldn't have chicken noodle soup! We have a terrific asian grocery so I'll go see tomorrow.

Last edited by Liz1959; 04-08-2011 at 10:05 PM..
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
What are these? What do you use them for? Are they tasty?? Thanks!!
Apologies in advance to all of the wonderful people who adore these, but to add my opinion to the mix...
and.... some more.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #25

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
I can't eat them. I was so excited when I found them and couldn't get a bite down. I was thinking they'd be like rice noodles or ramen but hey are like rubber bands.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MNLisaB
Stats: 222/155/140??
WOE: low carb, portion control
Start Date: 9/1/06
an acquired taste

TMI alert- Please rinse well and snip with scissors- they go out as they come in, and if you don't snip- well, just be warned...

I don't care for them with Italian type dishes, but do like these in Asian dishes, especially in soups. MMMMNNN pho....
MNLisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Wifey, if you rinse them, cut them, and heat them in a dry skillet, stir frying until the water evaporates and they are drier, a lot of the rubberiness goes away. I do this before I add them to any dish.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Yea, the way I make them they aren't rubbery. They have more of a snap to them. That's why I like them in an asian stir fry type of dish. Add some chicken, cabbage, green onion, garlic, soy sauce and they are super yummy! I might have to try it next time with some broccoli added in as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
Yup, I eat them in stir-fry and love them! Haven't tried them in Italian-style dishes yet, but they quickly lose the "fishy" smell and absorb the flavor of whatever you cook them in. Chicken noodle soup sounds good!
Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Fishy Smell in Konjac Root/Shirataki Noodles

According to the Konjac Foods site: "Shirataki noodles are a type of wet food, pre-packaged in liquid. While pure glucomannan fiber does not have any flavor, raw Konjac root flour does have a fishy odor. This is the reason why some brands have a fishy smell. The Konjac brand (KonjacFoods.com) has developed a method to eliminate the fishy smell which makes our noodles more attractive to consumers." So I guess some brands might have a stronger smell than others?

While I was researching the Konjac root, I found a picture of an A. Konjac in blom on the eGullet forum. According to the poster, the flower also smells bad.

I love Shirataki, and use them to replace the Chinese "bean thread" noodles. The odor goes away after rinsing and simmering them in the sauce/broth for a while will help them to absorb more flavor. To me the leftover tastes even better so sometimes I'd fix a double batch to save some for later. Problem is DH loves them too so a 16 oz package is barely enough for a meal.
ev.cheung is offline   Reply With Quote