Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miss Rae
Stats: Size-20/14/8
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Re-start April 2011
Canned Black Soy Beans

Has anyone cooked with these before? I bought a can (8 carbs 7 grams of fiber per serving) and I made baked beans with them. However I can't seem to cook them long enough to stop them from being crunchy. They cooked literally all day. The taste of the sauce was spot on and there was no offensive taste to the beans themselves. But they are just so crunchy. Is that just the nature of the beast or should they be boiled first?

Thanks!
Miss Rae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
which brand were you using? I avoid soy now, but I used some of these before and I don't recall CRUNCHY. perhaps not as creamy as regular beans, but they wouldn't be, since they aren't made of starch, right? in any case, I think the canned ones are a lot softer than one can manage using the dried ones, even if you find them.

I have substituted bits of vegetables chopped to bean size in that sort of sauce and enjoyed it, if you want something softer. daikon or zucchini in particular. you have to be careful not to overcook it though or it's mushy.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I think I've read that some folks on here pressure cook the beans first to soften them up, then proceed with the recipe from there.

I've not tried it, and I avoid unfermented soy products these days, so can't attest to it personally - but back when I DID use these, the Eden brand (sold by Netrition and Whole Foods) were not as "hard" as some of the others I tried - including, I bought dried black soybeans and tried to cook them myself - they're still pretty firm little buggers!

I just use regular black beans now, or small red beans - they have a pretty good carb count because they ARE small beans and have more seed coat to innards, which is why I'm guessing they're fewer carbs - more fiber per cup. IIRC, they are about 8 grams of carbs per half cup.

Of course, when you cook them with other ingredients, if you eat a 1/2 cup serving of your finished product you're not getting a full 1/2 cup of beans, so depending on what you cook them with, that may lower the carb count per serving.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miss Rae
Stats: Size-20/14/8
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: Re-start April 2011
I used the Eden brand. I'm not kidding, they were crunchy, not just not creamy and they kept the crunch. It's the weirdest thing. Thanks so much for the input. Pressure cooking isn't really an option, I guess I have to accept crunchy or not use them and use other veggies or normal black beans as you both suggested.
Miss Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Miss Rae, I've used the Eden brand (only ones I've even found, and had a hard time finding them), and yes mine were VERY crunchy too! I finally got a store here that carries them, stocked up on several cans, then wouldn't you know it.... Found out I am hypothyroid, and now I try to stay away from soy too!

Sorry for the thread jack, but Charski, how do you know if the soy products are fermented? What products would that be. I've "read you say" that before.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 195
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2014
Yes, they're firmer than lots of other beans. But I find them quite good. I rinse very well and cook them a little longer than just heating up -- the extra time seems to help. I buy the Eden brand too -- from Netrition because as Billie said they're hard to find.
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Billie, fermented soy products would be like REAL soy sauce, tempeh, miso, natto....

NOT stuff like soybeans, tofu, soymilk, etc.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I thought probably soy sauce. But you said "real" soy sauce. There is "Not real" soy sauce? And believe it or not, I don't even know what those other sauces you mentioned are? I've led a very sheltered life. (Even tho I have lived in Saudi Arabia & a short stay in Korea as an adult.) I am always reading on here about foods that people say they "miss so much" that I have never even heard of. Grew up in a home that ate mostly out of our garden, and we ate very plainly. Thru the years I've learned about many "new to me" foods, but I'm still a pretty plain foods person. Also different parts of the country just eat different things. Well, especially when I was grown up. TV & travel, and people moving around the country has changed that some, but not totally.
I guess I'm usually a little too embarrassed to mention that I don't have a clue what some of the food are that are talked about here. Most Italian foods for instance, are "foreign" to me. They were just not eaten much where I grew up. And, for the most part, I've found I don't care for many of them.

Anyway, guess there aren't too many soy products that I should be eating. And back to that soy, how do I know a soy sauce is "not real", and that I should avoid it? Again, sorry for the thread jack!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Eden Black Soy Beans

This is what I use.

Place in pressure cooker beans, their own juice, and one
bean can of water. Cook at pressure for 15 minutes.
Nice and soft. To make the Black Bean Chocolate Cake,
rinse and drain well before using them. Eden Black Soy Beans,
have no seasoning in them. My cake was delicious and moist
without any 'bean taste'
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
OK, I thought probably soy sauce. But you said "real" soy sauce. There is "Not real" soy sauce? And believe it or not, I don't even know what those other sauces you mentioned are?
++++
Anyway, guess there aren't too many soy products that I should be eating. And back to that soy, how do I know a soy sauce is "not real", and that I should avoid it? Again, sorry for the thread jack!!!
Billie, LOL! Don't worry about not knowing - that's what we're all here for, right? To help each other!

Real vs. not real soy sauce - real soy sauce is brewed and fermented. NOT real soy sauce is a bunch of stuff that has been put together to TASTE like soy sauce. So the best thing you can do is try to find one that says "brewed" or "naturally brewed" or some such on the label.

I also try to find ones that do NOT contain wheat, but that's a little harder to find these days.

Tempeh is a type of fermented soybean cake, similar to tofu; natto is fermented soybeans; miso is a thick paste made of fermented soybeans and rice, it comes in several forms (red, yellow, white...) and is used for seasoning, like for soups, salad dressings, etc.

HTH!!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
When I use the Eden Black Soy Beans I usually put them in the crockpot and let them cook all day. It really softens them up.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Char!!!
Now, I'll probably find out that the soy sauce I have is Not real.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Real vs. not real soy sauce - real soy sauce is brewed and fermented. NOT real soy sauce is a bunch of stuff that has been put together to TASTE like soy sauce. So the best thing you can do is try to find one that says "brewed" or "naturally brewed" or some such on the label.
I googled this since I was trying to recall if the health food brands that call it "tamari" have the wheat or not... and I found something annoying. Just a reason never to assume anything!!! from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Dark and old soy sauce (老抽 lǎochōu), a darker and slightly thicker soy sauce, is aged longer and contains added molasses to give it its distinctive appearance. This variety is mainly used during cooking, since its flavour develops during heating. It has a richer, slightly sweeter, and less salty flavour than light soy sauce.
molasses. sugar. *sigh*

anyway, it does say that the Chinese ones often don't have wheat and are less sweet. interesting.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
I only use for chili and the chocolate bean cake.

I never noticed the crunch or am just used to it now Eden's is the only brand I've ever seen, other than dry ones.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I only used the Edens brand and I find them more mushy than crunchy? I make a big meaty chili and I wait til the end and add them. Funny you all mention they are crunchy I never noticed that. I have also mushed them to make refried beans, that is delicious too! I add some hot peppers and hot sauce and mash with the old fashioned potato masher, and then heat in a little peanut oil! Then top with some fresh salsa and cheese yum!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
I the Eden beans! I'm avoiding soy during pregnancy, but before that I made an excellent chili with them. I did notice a small "crunch" with them, but when I put them in the crock pot with the rest of the chili stuff and left them for a couple of hours, they were fine. YMMV, you know?

Now, does anyone have that bean chocolate cake recipe handy? I can't find the good one I saw a few months ago! I need some chocolate to take to the hospital!!!

As far as the refried beans, I let them cook in their juice plus a can of water for a while and then do the refried thing. My husband is Honduran, so they are used to eating black refried beans, not pinto beans. I made these for him once, and he couldn't tell the difference!

GOAL: LOSE FIFTY BEFORE I'M THIRTY

Last edited by Catrapoin; 04-13-2011 at 05:40 AM..
Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=Catrapoin;14557816]Now, does anyone have that bean chocolate cake recipe handy? I can't find the good one I saw a few months ago! I need some chocolate to take to the hospital!!!QUOTE]

Healthy Chocolate Cake(Jacksmixedtape aka Lauren)
Adapted from a recipe at LowCarbFriends

Makes a single 9" layer cake, which can be halved and stacked for the taller cake you see here!

Preparation:
1-15 ounce can of unseasoned black beans
OR 1 1/4 cup cooked beans, any color
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR extra virgin coconut oil
3/4 cup erythritol plus 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract OR 1/4-1/3 cup honey plus 1 teaspoon stevia
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon water (omit if using honey)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9" cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray, or just grease it with a thin layer of butter. Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute. Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan, then spray the parchment lightly.

Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander. Shake off excess water. Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia (if using) and salt into blender. Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps! Whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat butter with sweetener (erythritol or honey) until light and fluffy. Add remaining two eggs, beating for a minute after each addition. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix. Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water (if using), and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top. Grip pan firmly by the edges and rap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.

Bake for 325 degrees for 45 minutes. You may need a little longer, as my oven runs hot. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack. Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap or with cake dome (I use an overturned plastic chip bowl). For BEST flavor, let cake sit over night. I promise this cake will not have a hint of beaniness after letting it sit for eight hours! If you are stacking this cake, level the top with a long serrated knife, shaving off layers until it is flat and even. Frost immediately before serving.

~57.6g net carbs for the whole cake using erythritol/stevia.
~5.7g net carbs per 1/10th
~125.6g net carbs for the whole cake using honey/stevia.
~12.56g net carbs per 1/10th

Healthy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to thickly cover one layer, or fill and frost a halved stacked layer

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, softened, OR 7 tablespoons nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon erythritol, OR 1/4 cup xylitol, powdered
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons half and half OR coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
Good-tasting pure stevia extract, to taste

Optional addition for a glossy finish:
1 fresh organic egg yolk

Preparation:
Cream the butter in a small bowl until fluffy. Powder erythritol or xylitol in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet for a minute or two, until extremely fine. Let sweetener settle in grinder before opening the top. Stir sweetener into butter with a spatula, then beat until smooth. Slowly blend in the cocoa powder (unless you want to redecorate your kitchen), vanilla, and sea salt. Beat in the half and half and egg yolk, if using. Add stevia, starting with 1/16 teaspoon. You'll probably use less than 1/4 teaspoon. Just keep tasting and adjust sweetness to your liking.

~7g net carbs for the frosting, using erythritol
Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Catrapoin
Stats: 214/184/118 (highest is pregnancy weight)
WOE: Low carb plus exercise
Start Date: 01/27/2010... Restart 01/11/2014
You're awesome! Thank you!
Catrapoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
This is what I use.

Place in pressure cooker beans, their own juice, and one
bean can of water. Cook at pressure for 15 minutes.
Nice and soft. To make the Black Bean Chocolate Cake,
rinse and drain well before using them. Eden Black Soy Beans,
have no seasoning in them. My cake was delicious and moist
without any 'bean taste'
Thanks for this hint, Barbo. I too have found that the black soybeans aren't as soft as I would like them. Do you think there's any reason I couldn't soften up several cans worth in one go in my big pressure cooker and then freeze them ready for use?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #20
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
I found Eden foods black soybeans crunchy as well as quite expensive.

I prefer to cook dried soybeans regular or black on high in a crockpot all night with a piece of kombu (dried seaweed) which softens them nicely, in the morning I add salt and cook for another half hour. They are so creamy and make great refried beans.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
I found Eden foods black soybeans crunchy as well as quite expensive.

I prefer to cook dried soybeans regular or black on high in a crockpot all night with a piece of kombu (dried seaweed) which softens them nicely, in the morning I add salt and cook for another half hour. They are so creamy and make great refried beans.
You're right, they are VERY expensive.

Where do I get kombu? I'd like to try making my own dried black soybeans too.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Eden Black Soy Beans

Pendragon,

Yes you can do the larger amount and freeze, just be certain
that you have some liquid in with the beans.

I made the choco bean cake without pressure cooking them
first and the cake was not as good. It was more beany and
I couldn't get them as smooth as when I pressured for 15 min.

I love them too and use them in various bean soup recipes.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Thank you Barbo, good to know about the liquid.

Yes, I've made the black bean cake too and found it a bit beany. The pressure cooker idea is a great tip!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #24
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
You're right, they are VERY expensive.

Where do I get kombu? I'd like to try making my own dried black soybeans too.
Sorry for the delay Do a google search I can't mention it due to Terms of Service.
sistertzu is offline   Reply With Quote