Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Banana Cake success (secret agent beans) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/716143-banana-cake-success-secret-agent-beans.html)

fixin 04-02-2011 03:39 PM

Banana Cake success (secret agent beans)

I tried the chocolate cake recipe using a can of beans the other night - went well so thought.... why not banana. It was my Dad's 71st birthday last night. I hosted a small gathering of friends for him and decided to try out this cake on the unknowing test subjects.

I served it with whipped cream and it got rave reviews...with a lot of ...'Oh this is sooo good.' So afterward when I asked them to guess what was in it...nobody could believe it was a can of beans. One non low carbing person said it was one of the best banana cakes they had eaten.

So here's what I used.

1 can great northern beans (rinsed and strained)
4 eggs
5 Tbs Truvia plus 5 packets of splenda
1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
2 Tbs coconut oil
1 rounded t of baking powder plus 1/2 t of baking soda
2 and 1/2 t of banana extract
(mixed all this in the food processor for several minutes)
then added a large handful of chopped walnuts to the mix
baked for 32 m at 350 in a 13x8 baking dish

I could have handled the cake a little less sweet but everyone else thought it was about right..for my tastes I would omit the splenda or pull out 1 of the Tbs of truvia.

Dont' have any black soy beans yet but want to try them out with this recipe soon to further lower the carb count. I think it is around 6 gm for a good sized piece as the cake is.

ReneeD70 04-02-2011 04:20 PM

Sounds very interesting:) beanbananabliss:)

jigglenomore 04-02-2011 04:26 PM

Nummy! I love to sneak stuff past the "Lowcarb" snobs in my life and then tell them it was LC
after they have swooned over it!

arkie1 04-02-2011 06:40 PM

Did you ice it at all? If so, what did you use?
Thanks,

Carole

fixin 04-03-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkie1 (Post 14527629)
Did you ice it at all? If so, what did you use?
Thanks,

Carole

I did not ice the banana version. Just dolloped some freshly whipped, stevia sweetened cream on top.

I did ice the chocolate version. I made a chocolate butter frosting out of half a stick of butter, 2T of boiling water, 2T of ground truvia, 2T of cocoa. I beat all that together...it was delish.

fixin 04-03-2011 06:22 AM

My Mom asked for this recipe after tasting and enjoying.

She made her's ginger flavored using 2 heaped t of ginger powder and 1 t of cinammon. She had some pinto beans she had cooked up that were sitting in the fridge so she just used a cup and a half of those. She said it turned out great, she's going to be making these bean cakes all the time now for her and Dad. Yay!

dollkey 04-03-2011 06:23 AM

Love me some banana bread!

jbatchelor 04-04-2011 12:36 PM

sounds delicious--thanks for the recipe!!!

fourstubbs 04-04-2011 01:00 PM

I want try this!!! I think it should be called: beanana bread! :p

fixin 04-04-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstubbs (Post 14532334)
I want try this!!! I think it should be called: beanana bread! :p

Oh yeah! That's clever. Let me know how it turns out for you.

fourstubbs 04-05-2011 12:46 AM

LOL... I actually think the texture is probably going to be more realistic than making it with almonds, which I do quite a bit, actually...but beans are more budget friendly... I will let you know when I do make it... :)

fixin 04-05-2011 03:56 PM

So coming off my recent baking success with the bean brownies and banana bread...still pumped and giddy...today I decided to try bean cornbread.

Whaaaa! Big dose of failure there.

I tried the recipe that adds 1/4 cup of parm to the beans and eggs. Not so good at all...has anybody had success with a beany cornbread type of thingy?

Soobee 04-06-2011 11:20 AM

Post #2 on this thread.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...se-1-only.html

fixin 04-06-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 14538682)

Thanks. I'll give that a go here soon.

rosethorns 04-11-2013 04:09 PM

Bump