Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Tomatoes - good carbs?

I made a big pot of chili today and was wondering if other folks think of tomatoes as good carbs?

I make a HUGE pot when I make it, and I put in 4 cans of black beans, and the same amount, if not more, tomatoes ... and although I know the tomatoes naturally contain sugars, I eat them because they're good for me in other ways.

So, what's your thought?

HUGz! Jules
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
I love tomatoes... When I am induction and OWL they don't affect me. =D
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
there really is no such thing as good carbs! I love tomatoes, but they are very carby and must be controlled ruthlessly, for me personally. tomato carbs are mostly sugar, but many people find they can eat higher carb levels and still lose or maintain fine. if that's you, don't worry about it. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca1979 View Post
I love tomatoes... When I am induction and OWL they don't affect me. =D
Rebecca, are you talking about raw tomatoes by chance? I ask because in a lot of things, you can eat what seems like a fair amount of tomato raw and it doesn't amount to much compared to cooked tomatoes. If you can eat cooked tomaotes lavishly during induction, then as Virgil Sollozzo said to Vito Corleone in The Godfather, salud!
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Dr. Atkins put tomatos ( or tomahtos)

on the induction list. However, there are portion size limitations, depending what phase u are on. I cannot imagine that veggies (except legumes, corn and potatoes)would be anathema to any low carb plan. Even on ATKINS, the closer you get to goal, the more liberal the portions and kind of veggies u may have (depending on ccl for losing or maintenance. So yes to Toma(h)tos. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I can have tomato's as long as they are balanced out with protein and fat. It's not so much a weight loss thing as it is a craving thing for me.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Induction ... OWL .... ccl ... I obviously need to read the Atkins book and learn what all of these mean.

Great discussion.

HUGz! Jules
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
I made a big pot of chili today and was wondering if other folks think of tomatoes as good carbs?
Hi jules…
Since I'm not a health food pursuer, I don't see carbs as good or evil. Just carbs.

I count net carbs, and yes, we love tomato carbs!

We also love brussels sprout carbs, broccoli carbs, low carb ice cream carbs, Chocolite bar carbs - well you get the picture.

I get 30 net carbs a day to spend. Sometimes I spend em on tomatoes, and sometimes I spend em on ice cream.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
there really is no such thing as good carbs!
Quote:
I don't see carbs as good or evil. Just carbs.
Here's my take on the debate.... LOL!

in some sense yes, a carb is a carb - its not "bad", but its fuel. If you are overweight and want to be burning your own fat, you dont need a lotta extra fuel. If you are near maintenance and exercise to burn up carbs/calories, you can have more carbs.

In another sense.... a carb that carries with it healthy nutrients, vitamins, etc (like a tomato) is far more healthy than a carb that carries nothing (think a piece of white cake)

Also, carbs that come with fiber (like a veggie) are absorbed more slowly compared to carbs with none (like candy that hits your blood stream rapidly). So they will induce less of an insulin response.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
A carb is a carb, good or bad, right or wrong and only YOU can determine if that carb is something you can and am able to have in your Way Of Eating.

I eat all veggie carbs, but leave the higher carb ones alone; carrot, potato, beet, or any other I find too carby for me.

Tomatoes I eat ALL the time!! Can't wait for my own garden Jersey tomatoes!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post

I make a HUGE pot when I make it, and I put in 4 cans of black beans, and the same amount, if not more, tomatoes ... and although I know the tomatoes naturally contain sugars, I eat them because they're good for me in other ways.

So, what's your thought?

HUGz! Jules
I eat tomatoes all the time, but that being said, you can make chili without tomatoes and it will still turn out good.

If you want canned tomatoes, go to the store and look for the lowest carb ones and ones that do not have any type of added sugar.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I eat tomatoes all the time, but that being said, you can make chili without tomatoes and it will still turn out good.

If you want canned tomatoes, go to the store and look for the lowest carb ones and ones that do not have any type of added sugar.
Chili without tomatoes?

This really has been a great thread!

HUGz! Jules
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Cooked tomatoes and black beans - big pot? It seems like a small serving would be in order if you are on low carb since both beans and cooked tomatoes would result in a good dose of carbohydrates.

Whether they are good or bad depends on your beliefs, health, and digestive issues. For me, legumes (beans) are considered high on the lectin scale (a toxin) for people on paleo diets (lectin is what you attempt to soak/cook out of the beans in order to make them edible, but some is always left behind and can cause digestive issues).

Tomatoes are acceptable, but I need to limit them especially because after cooking they become problematic for my blood sugar issues.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...

Last edited by Key Tones; 03-30-2011 at 02:04 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I've been eating quite a bit of tomatoes this week in my shiritake noodles and I've lost 4.2lbs this week. But I have been doing lower calorie as well. I think if I want to eat higher carb foods like tomatos, I have to balance it with lower calorie. Higher calorie-Lower Carb.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #15

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

In another sense.... a carb that carries with it healthy nutrients, vitamins, etc (like a tomato) is far more healthy than a carb that carries nothing (think a piece of white cake)

Also, carbs that come with fiber (like a veggie) are absorbed more slowly compared to carbs with none (like candy that hits your blood stream rapidly). So they will induce less of an insulin response.
this is what I meant by "there's no such thing as good carbs." while these things are surely true, they are not really very material for most of us. we can't eat ENOUGH tomatoes to get a load of phytonutrients, and if we are going pretty low carb, even sugar doesn't spike insulin all that much. and if you look at the glycemic index and load charts, which I think are all wrong, by the by, because every time they measure these things they get different results, and eating foods together does NOT work like just averaging the GIs or GLs of the ingredients, but IF you believe the charts you will see the numbers aren't all that logical based on fiber and such. something like well cooked carrots are much higher than full sugar ice cream, for example.

I don't disagree with the principles you state here exactly. But people use this as a rationale to ignore vegetable carbs because they are "good." Carbs count, as Larry says. They all count, even when we are unaware we are consuming them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
on the induction list. However, there are portion size limitations, depending what phase u are on. I cannot imagine that veggies (except legumes, corn and potatoes)would be anathema to any low carb plan. Even on ATKINS, the closer you get to goal, the more liberal the portions and kind of veggies u may have (depending on ccl for losing or maintenance. So yes to Toma(h)tos. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
yeah, your experience is more typical, FF, but I gotta tell you... my sister and her husband visited for 5 days recently. we all were sitting around my mother's assisted living place most of the time, since she really can't get out. so I brought lunches every day for us all, something I could eat as well. I did not "stray" a bit, except that I ate extra of the lowest carb and calorie vegetables, including mushrooms, celery, cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower. nothing you would call damaging. and I don't mean I ate LOTS of them, just maybe twice what I eat normally to get to my 20 grams a day, so maybe 30 grams total per day since I don't get all my carbs from veggies. In the five days they were here I gained NINE pounds. I have since taken off 6 of them, so some of that was surely water weight from restoring glycogen, but I have also been pretty much down to the bone both carb and calorie wise the last few days. My point is that for some of us, even a few extra vegetables MATTER.

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-30-2011 at 09:23 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
I find tomatoes don't screw me up. I never get the low blood sugar hungry feeling after eating them so I don't worry so much about them (that's basically my gauge). I allow myself up to 60 grams per day and they fit in nicely with that limit.
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I love tomatoes. Plum tomatoes are my fave- they taste better to me than the round tomatoes and I read somewhere that they were slightly lower in carbs. Not sure how true that is. I can't imagine not having tomatoes in my salad. Even my Ceasar salad!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
Yes tomatoes vary in carb count. I ate some I believe grape tomatoes once and then looked on the package. They were quite high in carbs! Oops.
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sonofabeach
Stats: 240/205/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart: 08/09
BEANS IN CHILI????? LOL. Taboo, taboo. Why put the extra carbs in something that is deeeeelicious without it???
Not trying to start any bean wars here! Just my Texas upbringing. Blame it all on my roots!
Sonofabeach is offline   Reply With Quote