Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
has anyone made glucomannan into maple syrup?

I have maple flavoring and maple capella drops.
Considering trying glu gel, water, some of both maples, powdered erythritol.
Would be nice to make a syrup that could hold up to heating and pouring over coconut pancakes.
BUT I don't want to do it if someone has tried and discovered it doesn't work.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I tried this yesterday but I not sure of the exact ingredients I used I just kept adding things until it tasted right. Unfortunately my experiement with a low-carb pancake recipe didn't turn out so I didn't get to use my gluc maple syrup.

I started out using 2 cups cold water, 1 tsp glucomannan powder, 1/2 cup Steviva, 1/8 tsp pure stevia extract, 1 tsp Mapleine flavor and a few drops of Lorann Pralines and Cream flavoring but I get tweaking here and there and didn't write anything down. I dissolved the gluc in the cold water and then slowly heat it up and added the other things whicking the whole time

I just went and got it out of the refrigerator to taste it and it is still in a syrup like state and with a taste test against Walden Farms I have to say mine tastes better.

I've decided to pass on the low-carb pancakes and just experiment on the low-carb waffle recipes for now. I prefer waffles over pancakes anyway.

Last edited by PaminKY; 03-27-2011 at 04:01 PM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just bought some caramel flavoring today and I think I'll add some of that next time. After trying the Walden Farms I thought it had more of a caramel taste so that's why I added the Pralines and Cream flavoring since I didn't have any caramel in my stash. I bet I could make an awesome caramel sauce too.

This really tuned out better than I originally thought, the texture is great.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
awesome. thank you for sharing your results. I will have to go home and try cooking up a batch of syrup. I love coconut flour/protein pancakes.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got my maple syrup experiment out of the fridge last night to see how it was holding up and I have to say it really has a good taste and mouth feel and has just the right consistency. I'm going to try another LC waffle recipe in the morning and I'm looking forward to finally having a maple syrup sub that doesn't have ingredients that I don't like to eat.

I'm going to make another batch this weekend and I will carefully write down the ingredients so I can figure the carb counts.