Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
What are your experiences with glucomannan?

I've tried reading through prior threads but people don't give real detailed info for the most part. So looking for actual details like:
Does it affect your weight loss or ketosis?
What specifically do you make with it that succeeds and in what specific amounts?
Do you use daily, and if so in what quantities?
Any failures trying to use it?
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no effect, it's all fiber. it's just used to thicken things, like guar gum or xanthan gum. failures? well sure. it gets all lumpy just like the others if you don't do it right. but so do flour and cornstarch if you don't know the techniques.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Ive only made pan noodle dumpling things tonight for the first time just used a tbsp glucc powder amd some chicken broth. i only ate a couple bites but got full very fast and had a full feeling for hours now. my calories are really low so i cant see how it wont speed up my loss. Its day one for me though but i would like to keep posting my results as i see them.

After seeing how it reacts im looking foreard to trying the glucc pudding and also making some gummie type candies. Im going to try to find some citric acid for this.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
no effect, it's all fiber. it's just used to thicken things, like guar gum or xanthan gum. failures? well sure. it gets all lumpy just like the others if you don't do it right. but so do flour and cornstarch if you don't know the techniques.
Actually, glucomannan is known to have the effect of lowering blood sugar. Here is one description:
Quote:
Description: Glucomannan has demonstrated some usefulness in the management of obesity, diabetes and constipation. It has some favorable effects on lipids. Glucomannan is contraindicated in those hypersensitive to any component of a glucomannan-containing product. It is also contraindicated in those with intestinal obstruction, difficulty in swallowing and esophageal narrowing. Glucomannan must be taken with adequate amounts of fluids. Inadequate fluid intake may cause glucomannan to swell and block the throat, esophagus or intestines. Type 2 diabetics who use glucomannan, may require adjustment of their antidiabetic medications.Glucomannan delays stomach emptying, leading to a more gradual absorption of dietary sugar; this effect can reduce the elevation of blood sugar levels that is typical after a meal. Controlled studies have found that after-meal blood sugar levels are lower in people with diabetes given glucomannan in their food, and overall diabetic control is improved with glucomannan-enriched diets according to preliminary and controlled trials. One preliminary report suggested that glucomannan may also be helpful in pregnancy-related diabetes.
Note the liberal use of "may," and "might" etc. Typical wiggle-words. Also it's hard to find info from a place that doesn't sell the stuff. Ah, here is part of the entry in Wikipedia:
Quote:

Potential health benefits

Constipation

Glucomannan is a soluble fiber, and as such, has been investigated for the treatment of constipation. Glucomannan may relieve constipation by decreasing fecal transit time.[3] In the treatment of chronic constipation, glucomannan significantly improved symptoms of constipation while being well-tolerated and free of relevant side effects.[4]
Cholesterol and other lipids

Glucomannan has demonstrated statistically significant improvements in the total cholesterol of obese patients.[5] In healthy men, 4 weeks of taking 3.9 grams of glucomannan decreased total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, triglycerides, and systolic blood pressure; notably, triglycerides dropped by 23%.[6] Glucomannan has also been tested in children with high cholesterol in conjunction with a diet. Interestingly, greater decreases in total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein were observed in female children when compared to male children.[7] When used in conjunction with chitosan, glucomannan decreases serum cholesterol possibly by increasing steroid excretion via the feces.[8]
Type 2 diabetes

Glucomannan may be useful as a therapeutic adjunct for type 2 diabetes. It has been shown to improve the lipid profile and alleviate the fasting blood glucose levels of type 2 diabetics.[9]
I am not convinced that high cholesterol is an issue anyway, but in any case, this reference doesn't sell it. I have used it for some time and have had absolutely zero negative effects, and the potential benefit of an A1c reading of 5.0 (what I mean is that my most recent reading was a perfect 5.0, but it could have been just because I am such a wonderful person and eat perfectly. Oh, well maybe not)
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Im going to try to find some citric acid for this.
Do you have an Indian food store in your location? That's where I found mine.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Do you have an Indian food store in your location? That's where I found mine.
I don't, but I think I remember seeing it at a Vitamin Shoppe not too far. I'm going to look today
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

Gallery: violetrose
WOE: The Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 3/25/11
Well, I just cut and pasted below a post I did on the Gluco recipe thread. There are two really good books out (see below) on the subject.

In addition, the best blog I've ever seen on gluco is titled Glucomannan: The Super Weight Loss Satiety Support Supplement (with fiber too). If you google that title+begintodig.com, it should bring you right to the blog. There are lots of good research links on that blog.

Unfortunately I have not taken gluco consistently. On the days I take it my appetite is greatly diminished. I had a really dumb "duh" moment the other day, asking myself why I just don't take it EVERY DAY. Since I'm starting a new eating plan today, I'm doing just that! I think this is great stuff!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holy cow!

I can't believe I've found this thread! I am a BIG fan of glucomannan. I'm going to go back and look over all the tips and recipes. I'VE STRUCK GOLD!!!

For those of you interested, I own two books on glucomannan. The one that got me interested in gluco was called Perfect Bo dy Diet by Cassandra Forsythe. Lots of good info about gluco in that book.

The second book is fantastic - it's called Hunger Free Forever by Michael T. Murray. It's about PGX fiber (which is a mixture of glucommanan and two other ingredients). Lots of great info, tips, research.

Also, for you gluco lovers, here's a link to an article from the Wall Street Journal called "Noodling Your Way to Weight Loss." Great article about shiratake, which is of course made from gluco. Here ya go...Can Konjac Noodles Help With Weight Loss? - WSJ.com
violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the book and blog info!
I was afraid last night after orange chicken and a little glupioca pudding that I might not lose...but was down just over a pound!
No gas at all, just felt a little bloaty maybe. Much better after the potty this morning
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/165/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
The other post about this were a bit overwhelming to me too.

With the description of the "jelled, dumpling like" consistency, has anyone come up with a way or recipe to make potstickers or perogies (sp?) - you know...stuffed with something?
MiRedkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Interested in this too. I'm not sure how it would work. maybe make a sheet of this in a half sheet pan? Cut into squares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRedkitty View Post
The other post about this were a bit overwhelming to me too.

With the description of the "jelled, dumpling like" consistency, has anyone come up with a way or recipe to make potstickers or perogies (sp?) - you know...stuffed with something?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I've made "gloodles" and a ... something that could possibly used as a wrap with gluc powder. This recipe needs some work to give the noodles a better texture and I'd love to have some of you fellow foodies give it a shot. Now, my goal in making this recipe was to keep it as low-cal and low-fat as possible since I'm doing JUDDD and use gluc for help on my down days. For regular low-carb I'll bet there are lots of options if you're not worried about calories. Anyway, check out this thread post for pictures and everything:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post14473066
As far as experience with using it - I use the gluc powder every day. It's vital for me to keep a sensation of fullness on my JUDDD down days, and I am even using it in the evenings on my up days to try to break my horrible night-time eating habit. I have no physical issues with the gluc powder and have lost steadily while using it. In thinking back, there may be a day or two of no loss or maybe a slight uptick in weight while the body adjusts to moving the gluc powder through your system, but once you pass that hump, no slowdowns or stalls for me from the powder.

Last edited by penguinpower; 03-27-2011 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Edited - link disappeared! I'll try it again.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #12

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
interesting. I have taken it and it does not change my blood sugar at all. I don't think it keeps one fuller than any other fiber. guar gum is very similar. soluble fiber does reduce cholesterol, but again there is a wide variety of things that do that, from oat fiber to guar and xanthan, not something unique to glucommanan. I like it, I just think some sellers are trying to make it seem more unique than it is.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
How much do all of you use on a daily basis?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 66
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
I'm interested in how much to take, also. I ordered some gluc capsules from Netrition to take before meals. If nothing else it will just be more fiber.
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipper75229 View Post
I'm interested in how much to take, also. I ordered some gluc capsules from Netrition to take before meals. If nothing else it will just be more fiber.
Let me caution you here: gluc in capsule form has the potential for coming open somewhere on the way down your esophagus. If that happens, it can begin to absorb liquid quickly, and choking is a possible, but very real, hazard.

Much better to mix the gluc into your food first, where it will do all its absorption before you eat it, and then it is safe to eat. Just open the capsules and use the gluc that way, stirred into your food. You will likely need to add some water to whatever you are making, but that's the point! Part of the advantage to using gluc is that it gives you **more** to eat without compromising calories, carbs, or anything else. The least expensive way to buy it, by the way, is in bulk. So if you use up your supply and want to buy more, you might want to get the bulk form instead of capsules.

Again, just a caution. Prevention is a good thing!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I've enjoyed shiritake noodles for years, sometimes eating them in some way every day. I find the tofu shiritake noodles to have a much better flavor/texture than the plain ones, but they are a little bit more carby (and some of us need to avoid soy due to thyroid issues).

But I have a question: are the noodles as effective as the powder in doing all of those good things for us? Since the gluc powder is bound up by the citric acid, I wonder if it absorbs water in the gut?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whipper75229
Stats: 189/165.6/145 5'3.25" Age 66
WOE: Diabetic - LOW CARB FOR LIFE!! A1C 5.6
Start Date: June 2010
Thank you for the warning. I will certainly listen to that advice.
I tried the shiritake noodles and couldn't get past the "rubbery" texture. I don't miss pasta that much and I make zoodles with zucchini if I want spaghetti or something to put sauces on.
whipper75229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Does anyone else notice a funky coating in their mouth when using this to thicken things? I tried to make a gravy - I ended up tossing it because I couldn't get over that. Maybe I'm using too much?
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
I use it for thickening gravies or sauces and do not taste it at all nor does it leave a coating in my mouth. When I first started using it, I used too much and it did have a funny mouth feel. I learned to use only a tiny bit - it will thicken quickly and no funk.
eastbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Gluc can have an unpleasant mouth feel which is caused by using too much, kind of a weird stickiness. It takes very little and it will thicken more as it cools.

It's great stuff, so much better than the other thickeners and I have a feeling it's been used for quite a while in manufactured low-carb products, particularly Walden Farms.

I use it to cook with not as a supplement. Although I did buy a bottle of the capsules I decided I preferred a chia fresca over it.

Last edited by PaminKY; 01-04-2012 at 10:18 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbruce View Post
I use it for thickening gravies or sauces and do not taste it at all nor does it leave a coating in my mouth. When I first started using it, I used too much and it did have a funny mouth feel. I learned to use only a tiny bit - it will thicken quickly and no funk.
This is good to know! I'll give it a try again
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote