Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   LC Irish Soda Bread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/714491-lc-irish-soda-bread.html)

Beeb 03-20-2011 06:07 PM

LC Irish Soda Bread

I know this is a little late for St. Paddy's Day but this is by far the BEST recipe for LC Irish Soda Bread I have ever made or tasted! My tweak is in bold print in the recipe.

From Elena's Pantry site:

Traditional Irish Soda Bread (gluten-free, dairy-free)

2 cups blanched almond flour
teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoons baking soda
cup raisins (I used 1/4 cup (not packed down) of raisins instead)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons agave nectar (I used same amount of sugar free honey here, but I'm sure SF maple syrup would work also)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
pinch of caraway seeds (did not use at all)

1. In a large bowl combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and raisins
2. In a smaller bowl combine eggs, agave and apple cider vinegar
3. Mix wet ingredients into dry
4. Form dough into a large, flat circle that is 8 inches across and 1 inches tall
5. Using a serrated knife, score bread on top a half an inch deep in shape of a cross
6. Sprinkle top of bread with caraway seeds
7. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, (I baked mine for 10 minutes more because it wasn't done) then turn off oven and leave bread in for 10 more minutes
8. Cool bread for hour then slice and serve with butter and/or SF Jelly/Jam

Pam 03-21-2011 01:49 PM

Beeb, I've never tasted Irish Soda Bread. What does it taste similar to? Do raisins and caraway seed taste good together? I guess I just can't imagine the 2 together. Sounds interesting enough for me to try, though. Thanks for the recipe!

fourstubbs 03-21-2011 01:53 PM

Beeb: It isn't too late...I just put my corned beef in the crockpot!!! I am only four days late...lol I also visit Elana's Pantry a lot...She's got a lot of neat recipes there. I just don't use the agave because it will spike my blood sugars.

Beeb 03-08-2012 12:21 PM

I thought this would be the best time to bump this recipe up. It's amazing, not "strange" ingredients, and even LCers :love: this bread!!

Happy St. Paddy's Day, Y'all!! :hugs:

Tilly 03-08-2012 03:06 PM

Thank you!

SkeeterN 03-08-2012 03:14 PM

How would this taste if you left out the raisins? I do not like raisins?

mojave 03-08-2012 06:33 PM

Irish soda bread was a favorite of ours in the high carb days, thanks for a low carb version.

Dee

Barbo 03-08-2012 09:37 PM

Thank you Beeb

Just in time. I've already got my corned beef brisket.:jumpjoy:

Mule_Freak 03-09-2012 10:18 AM

Wonder to Skeeter, don't care for cooked raisins or caraway see, sure it would be good and sounds super easy. Thanks going to try it w/out the raisins :)

Tilly 03-10-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 15479446)
Just in time. I've already got my corned beef brisket.:jumpjoy:

Me too, from Trader Joes!!!! Now just add the bread and some vegetables and I am good to go, O'Tilly, I guess. :rofl:

Beeb 03-17-2013 06:40 PM

Bump! Maybe a little late for this year but it's great anytime of year! My family never even knew this was not the "real deal" when I made it for them!! ;):clap:

Jakelilydad 03-17-2013 07:17 PM

I used to make soda bread all the time in my pre lc days, though I never cared for the sweet kind. My Irish cookbook (cookery book!) says that raisins were only added to the bread for special occasions/ holidays, etc., so they could be left out as well, to lower the carb count. I wonder what this would be like without any sweetener? Thanks for this... I'll post if my tweaks turn out well.

Beeb 03-16-2014 04:05 PM

Bump because it IS that good I make this every year!! :love: