Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Scalloped Ham and Cauliflower (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/714377-scalloped-ham-cauliflower.html)

dawnyama 03-19-2011 05:29 PM

Scalloped Ham and Cauliflower

I just made this tonight for dinner and wanted to put this here so if I need to find it again, I can! I got this many, many years ago off the 'net and have no idea who to give credit to. This is NOT my recipe. I just happened to fall in love with it. Hope you enjoy it as well.

2 lb bags of cauliflower, drained thawed and chopped
8 oz grated cheddar cheese
1 cup heavy cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 pound of ham cubes
salt and pepper to taste
Beat eggs and add to cream. Mix in cheese and cauliflower, add ham cubes and bake at 375 degrees for 45 mins.

My DD (who is only 10) was just released from the hospital tonight after being newly diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic this week. This is her first homemade meal she requested for dinner tonight. She got so sick of eating the hospital food. I love that she loves many of my low carb dishes as she will be eating a whole lot more of them!! :laugh:

Cap57 03-19-2011 07:42 PM

:hugs: Sorry to hear about your DD. How scary for you all! Is LC as good for type 1 diabetics as it is for type 2? I would think it would be, if I understand it correctly. Of course, since she is newly diagnosed, I'm sure it will take awhile to figure everything out. Good luck to you both.

Your recipe sounds yummy, and I have printed it off to try this week.

Speck333 03-19-2011 08:57 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that about your daughter. One of my best friends in college was a Type 1 diabetic, and had been since she was also about 10. She'd had a terrible infection that "killed" her pancreas.
Anyway, I have a similar recipe, and I like it a lot, too... my family doesn't though. :)

EveH 03-19-2011 09:43 PM

DH is a diabetic and he is thriving on this diet. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter but this is a very healthy way for her to keep her blood sugar under control if my DH is any indication of how well it works.

That does sound good. I wonder if it will freeze well. There is just the two of us so if I make it, I have to divide it into portions and freeze some of it or DH would have seconds for sure and this is not one you would want to do that with so much dairy in it. That is what makes it so good though.:)

Barbo 03-19-2011 10:58 PM

Diabetes

So sorry that your little sweetheart has diabetes 1.
I'm certain that they gave you instructions for her diet.

I am also diabetic 2. Adult onset. In the beginning I was put
on the American Diabetic Assoc. or ADA diet. This didn't
work for me, and I went onto the low carb diabetic diet.
This works very well to help control my blood sugar and
I do take medication, not insulin. I think being on LC keeps
me from having to do insulin. So glad you know how to
work this LC WOE.:welcome:

msbartlett 03-20-2011 05:13 PM

Recipe sounds great!! Planning on trying this for dinner during the upcoming week.

Wine2 03-21-2011 08:38 PM

sounds great!

Salamander 03-22-2011 09:40 AM

Thank you for the recipe! I am going to try this.
Sorry to hear about your daughter :hugs:

It looks like the HCG is working wonderfully for you! :cool:

Sally

dawnyama 06-07-2011 02:57 PM

bump!!

making this tonight.

ShesSuperCool 06-07-2011 03:22 PM

I'm making this right now except I had to use bacon for half the ham. I will somehow survive the sub. lol

BigBravesGirl 06-08-2011 09:35 AM

Yummalicious!

And Cyndi, I was thinking I'd use bacon too. :laugh: :high5:

Wonder how this would do in a crockpot? :confused:

dawnyama 06-08-2011 09:40 AM

DD finished this for breakfast today. She would eat it all day long if I let her LOL.

BigBravesGirl 06-08-2011 10:31 AM

Have you ever tried it in a crockpot, Dawn?

dawnyama 06-08-2011 10:33 AM

No, I have not.

catr31 06-09-2011 07:36 PM

I just made this tonight and it tasted wonderful. I had made the rest of the family spaghetti and made a half batch of this for myself. My husband kept sneaking bites and telling me he's going to start my "diet" so he can eat the good stuff.

Aediekins 06-09-2011 10:04 PM

Sounds yummy. I love cheese. Next time, try adding 1-2 teaspoons of mustard and a couple dashes of Worchestshire sauce. It will really bring out the cheese flavor!!

halewoods 06-10-2011 12:31 AM

That sounds fabulous!!! Im new to all this so im def gonna try this. I wonder about adding chicken also as an alternative or broccoli. You could add some pasta for the rest of the family then no need to make another meal! :)

BigBravesGirl 06-10-2011 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catr31 (Post 14726114)
I just made this tonight and it tasted wonderful. I had made the rest of the family spaghetti and made a half batch of this for myself. My husband kept sneaking bites and telling me he's going to start my "diet" so he can eat the good stuff.

:laugh:

sapphyretwins 06-12-2011 05:34 PM

I've got this in the oven now! :up:

graciejean 06-12-2011 05:44 PM

Drooling,I got to try this very soon,got to get the ham.

sapphyretwins 06-12-2011 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Verdict: it's pretty tasty! Even the kids liked it. One said, "We should have this more often." :clap:

I think ham quality would make a big difference - I used a good quality ham from Whole Foods.

The sauce seemed a bit clumpy (with the eggs I'm guessing?). I don't know if I didn't mix the whole thing together well enough or what.

Also, I'm going to freeze the leftovers. I know cream based things don't normally freeze well but I'm gonna try! Has anybody tried freezing?

I'll be making this again! I want to try broccoli in it next time (either 1/2 or all) but the kids said they prefer cauliflower (because it tastes like nothing :laugh:).

Brendajm 06-14-2011 12:32 PM

I made this last night, only I used leftover porkloin and fresh cauliflower,, I steamed it first.. . It was yummy.. I will def be trying it with some ham in the future..

shopgirl 06-16-2011 05:12 PM

Got my first one in the oven right now. Can't wait! :)

StoneAgeQueen 06-17-2011 05:51 AM

I've been Type 1 for 24 years and reversed all my complications through low carbing- I have the best controlled blood sugars in the whole Diabetic clinic apparently. It was a different story when I was eating the low fat, high carb diet they recommend for diabetics.. it lead to kidney damage, eye disease and nerve damage and it was impossible to control my blood sugars. I remember sobbing my heart out because I was doing everything they told me to but my blood sugars were all over the place and I was sure that I would go blind. High carb is a killer for both kinds of diabetics, but of course big pharma make a huge amount of money from us.

shopgirl 06-20-2011 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was DELISH! :up:

Even great reheated the next day. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Attachment 38804

dawnyama 06-21-2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shopgirl (Post 14755608)
It was DELISH! :up:

Even great reheated the next day. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Attachment 38804

Your welcome. I made it again last night too!!! And it will be DD's breakfast today. The family loves it!!

Linnylamb 06-21-2011 09:54 AM

Thanks for sharing, Dawn! This looks really good.
Those who have tried it: What size casserole dish is everyone using? 11X13? How many servings did you get?

Barbo 06-21-2011 05:02 PM

Stoneagequeen

Gosh how I identify with you. Dr. put me on ADA diet and my
sugars went through the roof. I can't believe how ADA has failed
the diabetic community. I got Dr. Bernstein's book and came to LC
eating and my sugars began a control. Between Atkins and Bernstein,
I have an understanding of how to control my sugars. I don't want
to go through what my uncles did when they had diabetes.
They ate what they wanted, shot up with their insulin thinking
that they were in control of this disease. No way.

Thanks to LCF and others like them, we have a wonderful eating plan,
great recipes like the ham/cauliflower casserole and so many people
who came here before us. I've learned so much from this board
and the people here.

The products from Netrition are invaluable. For the little that they
charge for shipping, it's not worth running the car around for products
that most super markets don't have.

dawnyama 06-22-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linnylamb (Post 14757248)
Thanks for sharing, Dawn! This looks really good.
Those who have tried it: What size casserole dish is everyone using? 11X13? How many servings did you get?

I have one of those white corning ware casseroles that I use. I think it may be the 2 quart one. And for servings, I have a family of 6 and it feeds us all with a bit of leftovers. So maybe 8 servings, I don't measure just scoop it out onto our dishes.

Linnylamb 06-23-2011 04:44 AM

Thanks, Dawn.:up: