Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Carbquik "Sandwich Thins" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/713828-carbquik-sandwich-thins.html)

kmloving 03-15-2011 11:26 AM

Carbquik "Sandwich Thins"

I am very new here and tried to post a recipe the other day - but forgot an important ingredient....So here is the correct version. These come out similar to the 'sandwich thins' you get in the store. But are done in the microwave!!!

2 T. Carbquik
2 T. milled flax seed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. sweetener
4 T. water

YIELD: 1 Sandwich Thin, 0 Carbs, 95 Calories

Mix all ingredients (will be paste-like) and place in microwave safe bowl sprayed with cooking spray. I chose a bowl the size of a hamburger bun. Pat mixture down with a spoon to cover the bottom of the bowl. Microwave on high for 1:30 - 2:00 min., depending on your microwave. Slice like you would a bagel or hamburger bun. This bread is similar in consistency to an english muffin.

I have also separated the dough and cooked half (for 1 min) and then the other half -- saves me from slicing the bread, as I am not very talented in that department.

I use these for my eggs and hamburgers. You can also make a mini-melt out of them by adding meat, cheese, etc., and popping in the oven at 350 until meat is hot and cheese is melted.

ravenrose 03-15-2011 12:53 PM

slicing is easy if you do it this way: don't try to slice all the way through it. Just go less than halfway, maybe a third of the diameter, and keep turning the thing, carefully slicing just the part you are looking at evenly. when you get all the way around, you can slip the knife into the middle and it will come into two equal slices. I used to be terrible at slicing, but this really works!

jbatchelor 03-15-2011 03:24 PM

I bought one of those microwave egg things from walmart-looks like an english muffin size with a top and bottom--it would be perfect for cooking this!!! I wonder if you could use almond meal instead of carbquick?

Jeanne

Beeb 03-15-2011 03:35 PM

These sounds very YUMMY! Can't wait to try it, thanks!! :clap:

ouizoid 03-16-2011 07:04 AM

there is another thread on this--I have loved this recipe and tweaked it--2 tbs carbquick, 2 tbs oatfiber, 1/4 tsp glu powder, baking powder and salt--added 1/4 or so eggbeaters and some almond milk as the liquids. Fantastic! nuke in a sandwich container, slice like a bagel and toast. Thank you SO much for this recipe--makes such a quick and easy bread. I loved my grilled cheese sammie last night. You are a doll!

ouizoid 03-18-2011 11:12 AM

made this my way again today--added 1 tbs protein powder and then nuked--split like a bagel into two BIG pieces--dipped in egg/almond milk and sweetener and made awesome french toast! I've never played around with carbquick before, but I am liking it--

Barbo 03-18-2011 03:32 PM

I nade this one as well.

Left out the glucommanan and used 1 tsp. oil.
Left out the flax and used almond meal, 1 tsp. vwg,
didn't have almond milk, so used half and half. \
Used those WalMart egg thingys and it was great.
Nice and big. Split in half for DH and myself with ham,
poached egg and Char's hollandaise. Gosh so good.
I think it's my favorite bread/sub. Great with deviled egg
salad too.

ouizoid 03-18-2011 05:28 PM

Oh man this is so good! I am able to get 3 huge slices out of each "piece" of bread, which cut in half make a good sandwich! I just had a fabulous tuna sandwich with enough "bread" leftover for a yummy piece of toast and jam for dessert! LOVE!!

JRM2 06-13-2013 01:24 PM

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

I can once again have toast for breakfast or an actual sandwich for lunch. This recipe is the best! Everyone should try this quick and easy recipe. You won't be sorry.