Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
replacing fat

if i wanted to replace a T of butter in a OMM recipe, do i need to replace it with something to make up that "bulk'?

i used a 1/2T almond milk and an extra 1/8 tsp of xantham gum in place of it just b/c i didn't know. but what's the protocol with that normally?
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
if i wanted to replace a T of butter in a OMM recipe, do i need to replace it with something to make up that "bulk'?

i used a 1/2T almond milk and an extra 1/8 tsp of xantham gum in place of it just b/c i didn't know. but what's the protocol with that normally?
Usually if you want to replace a fat in a recipe you use something like apple sauce. I would have suggested an extra egg but that would be too much for the T of butter you want to replace. The fat helps to bind things together but fat is not necessary, but still needs to be replaced with something that would do the same thing.

How did your muffin turn out? If you liked it with the tweaks you did, then I would just let it be and enjoy it!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks, linda...i haven't tried it yet. will soon.

thanks for your input.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Hi Carrie:

Not sure if you are trying to save the calories from the butter, or eliminate the dairy altogether, but some egg yolk might be a fair replacement for the butter if calories are not what you are trying to avoid.

Could you post your OMM recipe so that we can see the quantity of the other ingredients? That might help.

Easiest first approach would be to just skip the butter and see if that'll fly. If your OMM contains enough other fats -- almond flour or flax seeds or something -- it's quite possible you won't need a replacement.

P.S. I saw your face and thought I was on the wrong board for a second.

-Susan (AKA SuperGabber)
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no, you don't need to replace the bulk. these recipes aren't NEARLY that finely tuned. almost any combination proportions you throw together work fine, as long as you have enough baking powder. it's a matter of texture.

the reason ouizoid started adding glucomannan to her baked stuff was in an effort to cut the fat and have better texture. the darned things can be dry as DUST, you know what I mean? I always use extra egg myself, in addition to coconut oil, but your point is to lessen calories and fat, I assume?

search on ouizoid's recipes. she specializes in this sort of thing.

I also STRONGLY suggest you just trust me and buy some zucchini or summer squash, grate it in a food processor if you have one, or a hand grater, and add it to the batch. I would say about 1.5 ounces to an OMM, but experiment to get your best proportion. it does a BANGUP job of retaining moisture and improving mouth feel.

I see everyone putting shredded mozzarella in these things to improve texture. I've tried it and I just don't get it. I don't think it improves anything about the baked goods. try the squash.

good luck.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI, SUSAN! didn't know you were on here.

my recipe:

5T almond flour
1/2 T oat fiber
2 1/2 T whey powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xantham gum
1T xylitol
pinch salt
1 jumbo egg
1T liquid (could be torani/davinci/almond milk/etc. whatever i fancy at the time)
ezsweets to equal 1/4 c total sweetener including the above listed)
vanilla extract
and then normally, 2T butter/CO/peanut butter -- and yes, trying to cut cals a little.

the one i made with 1T of butter and 1/2 T alm milk and 1/8tsp extra xantham gum was ok. i couldn't tell a huge difference.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
somewhere on here, some time ago, I found this recipe:2 minute muffin: 1/4 c. Davinci flavored syrup (any flavor), 1 large egg, 1/4 c. carbquick, 1/4 c. flax .
I use this as a "base" recipe, meaning, I have never folowed the exact recipe! Like Raven said, these recipes aren't fine tuned, which is nice.
Sometimes I do add coconut or MCT oil, but mostly I don't. I also use a total of 2/3 c. (instead of 1/2 c.)of 2 or more different floury things, your choice. I do add 1 tsp. baking powder and a pinch of salt, though I don't know if its even necessary.
I mix this up in a 2c. pyrex measuring cup (I spray it with olive oil first) and microwave for 2 min. 15 sec. Plop it out onto a plate and let it cool a bit. If you want a plain one to toast or use for a sandwich, use water or almond milk instead of the Davinci.
One thing I have found is that if I use too much protein powder, they are too dry. Other than that, they are really good IMO.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote